Sahm Dilemna-help/reassurance Needed

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 12:30 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

ajprez73 has posted more than 1 good deal
Sahm dilemna-help/reassurance needed

After going back and forth with this issue, my dh and I are leaning to me quitting my job and becoming a SAHM. Several months ago, my husband switched jobs and his salary now equals my salary and his salary from his previous job combined. So essentially, he's making what we were both making together when he was at his old job.

We have a toddler and an 8 week old and the nanny that used to help us with our toddler last year has backed out. I've researched daycares and other nannies and with either option if I continue working, my salary will basically all go to either the daycare or nanny. This is why we are thinking that I should stay home. I would rather care for my kids than someone else who I have to pay my whole paycheck to. When we discussed the SAHM option I was thrilled.

Here us my concern...and maybe it's my PP hormones. All of the sudden I'm SCARED to let go of my job. I now have all of these"what if's"running through my head...

What if...
Something happens between me and my husband and I dont have a job?

He loses his job?

I'm not able to get my job back? I get criticism from my family (longer story)?

Etc...

I feel guilty for feeling this way. I should be thrilled that I have this option and that I can be home with my babies. My husband and I wouldn't of come to this decision of we weren't sure about it financially.

Choice one:
SAH and raise my kids and not miss having these precious years go by while I work.

Or

Choice two: Continue working. Pay a daycare or nanny the majority of my paycheck...BUT the private school that I work at offers me 25% discount towards tuition for each year I work there. I've already been there two years so I'm up to 50% off. By the time my kids go to school to start at prek4, I will have been there 4 years meaning that their tuition is paid 100%. That's huge considering the tuition is around $6500/year/child and they would be there till 8th grade as long as I'm working there.

I need you advice ladies.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 AM

RE: Sahm dilemna-help/reassurance needed

Re-newbie.

My Mood/Status:
Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
For me, I was laid off at 8 months pregnant and decided not to go back to another job. It's a very personal choice - some moms just need the time alone at work.

You may not be able to get your job back if your marriage ends or your husband it out of work, but you will likely be able to find another job. You have to decide if the fear is worth not staying at home.

Do you WANT to stay home? Maybe while you're on maternity, consider it a trial run. Can you ask for a 3 month maternity instead of 6 weeks?

To me, the biggest question is the "Can you mentally handle staying home"? If you think you will go crazy being at home, that's perfectly understandable and okay.

For me, I wanted to be home and it works for US but don't let anyone make you think you're a bad mom for working (even if you have the option to stay home) if you continue to work, and don't let your family make you feel bad for quitting if you stay home.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:47 AM

I want to stay home. My kids are my number one concern. I like my job but my kids come first. I don't know where my fear is coming from??? And what all of the sudden is holding me back?

I started my maternity leave early because I was in bed rest and won't be going back till august. I've had more than enough time to see if I would like being a SAHM.

Last edited by ajprez73; 06-14-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:57 AM

Re-newbie.

My Mood/Status:
Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Kayhold has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajprez73 View Post
I want to stay home. My kids are my number one concern. I like my job but my kids come first. I don't know where my fear is coming from??? And what all of the sudden is holding me back?

I started my maternity leave early because I was in bed rest and won't be going back till august. I've had more than enough time to see if I would like being a SAHM.
If you want to stay home, then screw everyone else, imo. You can make it work, and I do get the fear, I had it too. In the end, I figured the worst that could happen is we'd be poor, but I know we'd be okay in the end. MOney only buys things. I mean extreme - we could lose everything. We will eventually get it back - just things.
The thing that made it easiest to quit -my husbands job is secure. He's union, and he's been there 13 years - a lot of people across America would have to be laid off from Penske before he was affected, so that helped my fears a lot.

Of course I don't know your situation, but I certainly understand it's scary, but perhaps my line of thinking would help - they're just things. I would never be homeless because I can stay with family and my husband or I would eventually find work.

If you want to do it, go for it I say it seems you're going to stress and worry whichever way you go, so go the way your heart tells you

Last edited by Kayhold; 06-14-2011 at 01:08 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:04 AM

Thanks. I really appreciate the input and support.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 AM

kmma11 has posted more than 200 great deals!kmma11 has posted more than 200 great deals!kmma11 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I quit my prestigious position in food and beverage management three years ago. I had worked towards my last held title for 12 years.
After my baby was born, it just seemed so trite. Magic was happening at my home.
Now I have another baby- she is 15 months (and the 3 year old).
Something changes for me when the kids can talk. I know my oldest would say something if a caregiver was mean or hurt her. When they can't talk- it's mom who they need.
That being said, I hate cleaning. I miss my nails and hair getting done, expensive clothes, power, freedom, having my own paycheck, not touching poop and snot an hearing crying and screaming..... But I love my kids.
I have submitted my resume around and have gone on an interview but with the change in economy the salary for my position has gone down.
I would be prepared to take a paycut if you go back in a few years / and even possibly taking additional training or classes to stay competitive in your field.
It's good for the brain! Cheerios and diapers tend to melt the mind.
Good luck to you and whatever you decide!
Old 06-14-2011, 01:26 AM

I'm glad you mentioned the ability of your lids to be able to tell you about the caregiver. This was one of the things I discussed with my DH when the SAHM discussion began.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:27 AM

Kids...not lids.
Old 06-14-2011, 08:35 AM

crissybeez has posted more than 1 good deal
I know I'm going to sound biased, so just take this for what it's worth -- just MY opinion Nobody will EVER love your children the way you do. I'm sure you could find a wonderful caregiver for them, but absolutely NOTHING beats their mother. I have 3 girls who are 8, 10 and 12. I stayed home with them all until my youngest started kindergarten. And, yes, I absolutely needed something outside of the home, which is why I joined a SAHM's club. Those were some of the best years of my life! And one thing that to me has been of great significance is that my girls have been raised with the morals and standards that I wanted them to have. Their sense of right and wrong, and respect for themselves and others was instilled by me and their dad. There's no other person on Earth who could have been a substitute for that.

There will always be jobs and material things. Babies will only be babies for a little while.

Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now! Please know that I don't mean to offend anybody at all. Everyone has their own circumstances, and what's right for me is not what is right for every individual. Like I said, I'm just giving you my perspective. I do feel strongly about it, but would never force my opinion on others.

I hope whatever decision you make will give you some inner peace. Being in limbo is the worst!
The Following User Says Thank You to crissybeez For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2011, 08:43 AM

You are absolutely right. As scared as I am to leave my job, nothing is more important than my kids and I'll never get that time back.

I truly appreciate all of your feedback. It reassures me that SAH is the best thing for my kids. After all is said and done, isn't that what all parents want for their kids.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 PM

Re-newbie.

My Mood/Status:
This is not to scare you, at all but something I didn't mention last night because I forgot.

Before I knew I was being laid off, I had a daycare picked out.

A week after I found out I wasnt going back to work, the daycare was shut down because they were found duct taping pacifiers in babies mouths!

Talk about freaking out! I know m ost daycares are on the up and up, but man, did I dodge a bullet!
Old 06-14-2011, 06:21 PM

needs some time to organize all of her coupons
Happy Shopping!!!

My Mood/Status:
ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!ilovecouponstoo has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think you have a hard decision to make but I just have one piece of advice. Don't make decisions based on fear. Make decisions base on what your heart tells you to do. Good luck with your decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 PM

I know what you mean. You see it on the news all the time with daycares and nannies. You watch videos of babysitters shaking and hitting kids. It really pits things into perspective and makes me realize that having the opportunity to stay home is a blessing.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Super Savings Momma!

My Mood/Status:
MLPaint has posted more than 200 great deals!MLPaint has posted more than 200 great deals!MLPaint has posted more than 200 great deals!
Wow I could have written this exact same post this time last year. We lost our in home sitter and while researching day cares it dawned on us that it may not even be worth it for me to continue working. Plus I just had a sinking feeling in my belly over sending him to a new place. I loved our old sitter so much!
So I dropped down to part time and gave up my management position that took me 5 years to get. I worked pt for a few months to see how things went, I started to get reallyyyy good with coupons and saved more money every week. And then one day I said I was done with work and I quit. I'm still signed on as an "occasional" employee so if they are seriously hurting I can go in for a few hours but that hasn't happened in 5 months so far.

I was afraid like you are. I'm very much a "what if" person and like to have my ducks in a row before the eggs even hatch. I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to handle the lack of adult communication or that my temper would always get the best of me. I feared everything you listed.
But you know what? You have to let it all go! Everything finds a way to work itself out. We don't go buy new things as much and I will most likely home school - 1st grade because we probably won't be able to afford the classy montesorri school I've dreamt of sending my son to but that's ok!
And if you choose to be a sahm you have to learn to let go of a whole bunch of other things. Some days we don't make it to play dates because of one thing or another, my house is trashed 75% of the time but it's so worth it . (btw I thought my house would be cleaner if I stayed home. Boy was I wrong!)

This is a life altering choice and it's scary but try not to think so far ahead!
Old 06-17-2011, 04:44 PM

wants you to come bid on my auction!

My Mood/Status:
bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I say be at home!! I too had a decent job, if I was to have worked there for 5 years I would have been vested in the company and so on, but with the last baby, we decided that we didn't have the want for me to work to pay a sitter to have just a little left over money. So I stayed at home til he was almost 3 then I did go back to work for a brief 9 months then got laid off, that was rough, 'cuz I was kind of getting used to the work situation again! So here I am again this is now about 2 years after the lay off, and I am happy with being a stay at home mom! I do a little work for mturk to get a little extra money to help out with some bills.

Anyway the point I am trying to make here is all things will work out for you! If something happens then you have to have faith and believe in yourself that you would be able to handle what ever comes about!

I love being with my youngest and able to be home when my other one gets home from school!
Old 06-17-2011, 05:03 PM

Thank you for all of your input ladies. Becoming a SAHM will be a blessing. I have faith that it will all work out regarding finances, but I have to put my kids first and the best way I can do that is by being home with them.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:26 PM

sux being stalked & harassed!!
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
do you have the kind of career you can work 1 day a week or 1 day every other week? if your husband losing his job is a real threat, maybe keeping your toes in the world of whatever you used to do for a living wouldn't be such a horrendous idea, even if you were just filing, or answering the phone or whatever. the company might like the fact that they don't have to pay you benefits, you already know the job, the people, the company, they can get someone way qualified to do something they need rather than sorting through temps at an agency.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:21 PM

ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I have been a sahm for almost 3 years now with our 2 kids. I agree that the house is probably dirtier than if the kids were off somewhere else all day. I am happy that I haven't had to worry about their safety elsewhere, but sometimes I still go a little stircrazy. I was never one for manicures and such, but I don't even get out for a hair cut anymore. I have really upped my couponing game...up to $180 saved this week and I still have to pick up a few more things. Good luck.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:17 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!GwenythOwensMama has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm a SAHM, for just over a year now. I'm kinda undecided how I feel after a year... I had a cute 2 week SAHM honeymoon phase where I felt like I was leaving my job to be happy all the time. Well- yes, our house is trashed too all day like other have said! Unfortunately, my mind goes crazy with a messy house, so I spend more time cleaning than I should... I am happy when my house is clean, but even though I clean all day- the kids will trash something else- so it never works out in my favor anyway! Kinda a pointless battle... If you get out during the day, that is the only way to keep it from getting trashed!

I thought I would have more time for coupons, cooking meals, cleaning... NOPE! I pretty much get food for my kids all day, or make sure my son isn't escaping out the backyard, or cleaning up poop, nursing my youngest, coloring with the kids, teaching manners, getting oldest DD to and from the bus stop everyday, laundry.... Etc. My day really is all about the kids and nothing else. I don't have any help though, no friends/family around.

I've really lost myself unfortunately. I get zero time to myself, or even with DH. I spend every waking moment taking care of my children. I actually feel like worse of a Mom being home with them FT on a lot of days...Some days I honestly think they'd get more out of daycare than being around me. I had this dream before becoming a SAHM that I would be taking them to and from activities all day long, joining a Moms group, etc. None of that has worked out. In fact, we pretty much stay home all the time. My son tends to wander, and it is downright scary taking the 3 of them out by myself anywhere. So, I never get to do my CVS, Walgreens trips during lunch hour anymore. I never get to eat a meal in peace, sometimes I don't even eat. I don't shower in the mornings- ever- have to get that done at night- if I get time and not too tired from the day... I miss my DH, I don't see him much, he works 6-6 M-F. Our evenings are spent trying to get them down to bed, and almost every night at least 1 of them wakes up saying they can't sleep, so DH and I get pretty much zero time to talk/spend time together. I can't remember the last time I had genuine FUN.

Would I put them in daycare to go to work FT? On a bad day I would say yes, and there are a fair amount of bad days (mentally it's HARD)... but there are good days too, and I'd definitely say no. I love my kids INCREDIBLY, but it is maddening- mentally. I know I sound like I hate being a SAHM, but I also don't want to get FT office job or even a PT job anywhere. I think if I had just 1 day a week to have 2 hours to myself in the day to get errands run, or whatever, I would feel more put together and refreshed. I'm just too darn introverted to get out and meet people or other Moms. I kinda feel like I don't know what I want anymore, I don't know what I'm going to do in 18 years when my youngest goes off to college. I just know I love my kids and want to be there for them right now, as tough as it is.

Good luck in your decision!

Independent Thirty-One Consultant and SAHM to:
DD: 9
DS: 6
DD: 3
and
: due in Mach 2015!

Last edited by GwenythOwensMama; 09-02-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:36 AM

loveconcept4u has posted more than 200 great deals!loveconcept4u has posted more than 200 great deals!loveconcept4u has posted more than 200 great deals!
I was laid off from my job the day I returned from maternity leave. For the first year I was a sahm now I nanny for a family and they let me bring my son. Works out great
Old 09-02-2011, 10:53 AM

AFC Star Member

simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
You may have regrets down the road for leaving your job but you will NEVER regret spending more time with your children. They are only young once and then they will be out the door to college (can you tell my DD went off to school last week?) Being a SAHM doesn't mean you have to be June Cleaver (well maybe at Halloween ) But it does mean that you will be able to teach your kids important things that they can't get from anyone else but you. HTH
Old 09-02-2011, 11:18 AM

My Mood/Status:
time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!time_is_on_my_bad_side has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayhold View Post
This is not to scare you, at all but something I didn't mention last night because I forgot.

Before I knew I was being laid off, I had a daycare picked out.

A week after I found out I wasnt going back to work, the daycare was shut down because they were found duct taping pacifiers in babies mouths!

Talk about freaking out! I know m ost daycares are on the up and up, but man, did I dodge a bullet!
Am I the only one who is sick over this? I am so glad you dodged that bullet, omg, how horrible. I can't handle hearing things like that.

I was laid off from my job 3 months after I returned from maternity leave. My DH has been looking for a job since I got pregnant after taking some years off to write a novel (long story...). He is still looking, which is somewhat stressful, but we both agree we will consider ourselves very fortunate to be able to spend all of this time with DD.

I was MISERABLE for those 3 months I was working (and actually was before I was even pregnant, ha ha). We both freaked a bit when I got laid off, but honestly I hated my job but felt like I could never quit because I made a lot of money. It was the out I needed to do what I really wanted.

Go with your gut, and I think the feelings you have are totally normal. I have been without a paycheck since January and DH hasn't made money since he sold his business in 2005 but somehow we are managing, and it is so wonderful to be with our little girl.