PTA Money

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2005, 03:44 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
PTA Money

What useful things do you guys spend your PTA money on. I just found out that we will have an extra $10,000 for this year and I really would like some input as to what other ptas do.

I will share the one big hit we had this year---we gave each child a $5 credit for the book fair. My sons kindergarten teacher today told me that she couldn't even talk about it since it brought tears to her eyes when the kids picked out their books. Even in our affluent area, there are soooo many kids who never get to pick out books at the fair. It cost us about $5,000 but it was well worth every penny. Definetly something I hope we do again next year.

One thought I had for the money was purchasing the beginning of the year school supplies (ya know, the list that parents have to go purchase each new year). Does anyone do this? How have you managed it and what is typical cost? I just know how much I hate going to 5 different stores and spending $50-$75 on each kid and THEN having to return half of it becasue it was the wrong stuff!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-23-2005, 05:56 PM

RE: PTA Money

bhahn has posted more than 5 good deals
Hey Barb, we use some of our money towards a "Garden" day, its usually held the last week of school, afterschool, parents and students come, we buy garden supplies and plants from a local nursery and parents and students help plant around school in designated spots. We also, supplie afterschool snacks, like icecream, popcorn, drinks. The parents absolutely love it because it gives them a chance to be with their kids and be outside in the fresh air.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:07 PM

Gone crazy, be back later

ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!ladywine has posted more than 200 great deals!
I used to fantasize about our PTA having extra $$$ - we never had enough to cover the basic expenses where I worked - if you live in a nice area where parents can afford the supplies (even if it's a PITA), you might consider doing a service project with the extra money...
Old 02-24-2005, 04:39 AM

My Mood/Status:
skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
We don't have the extra $ in our budget (not even sure the d*** president is even going to have us MEET budget) but we did the school supplies this year. PTA subsidizes the cost of the planners used by grades 3-5 and we sold the prepackaged supplies before school started. They were definitely a hit with our parents and I am now pricing for the new year.

Last year, we funded the library garden project. Our librarian supervised and taught the kids how to plant a garden and the students "landscaped" our courtyard. Each grade was given a type of plant based on their capabilities. We have everything from bulb to sunflowers and rose bushes. We also had the students donate spare change so they felt like it was "their" garden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by skyesmom; 02-24-2005 at 04:40 AM. Reason: We need spellcheck!
Old 02-24-2005, 04:43 AM

clutterqueen has posted more than 5 good deals
pta money

When we had a surplus which was earned by the state due to increased pssa scores, we bought 5 mobile laptop computers that was matched by a grant.
it was such a hit, that the school district bought mobile computer labs for all the schools in the district. And we got nada on that one.
we recently purchased a digital camcorder for the school.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:57 AM

Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Not going to get spell check Dawn--what is available for vbulletin is not that good and it is a PITA for me.

Thanks for the ideas. New plants might be a good idea. Dawn, please let me know how you handle the supplies for your school
Old 03-21-2005, 07:25 PM

loves a good bargain.
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
JavaMomma has posted more than 400 great deals!JavaMomma has posted more than 400 great deals!JavaMomma has posted more than 400 great deals!JavaMomma has posted more than 400 great deals!JavaMomma has posted more than 400 great deals!
Our PTO put in an outdoor classroom for us to use, (Metal benches and picnic table)
Also we (the teachers) have asked for the coolers on wheels for field trips.
The busses NEVER park where we have to eat, and just getting the full coolers from our classes to the bus takes a dad if we are lucky enough to have one around.

I love the idea of the gc for book fair! That not only helps the students but also helps out the library!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-22-2005, 09:25 AM

Grounded for Life

I love the cooler idea!