Making Your Own Baby Food

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Can't Wait to get to Texas!

My Mood/Status:
jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Making your own baby food

I have been looking into making my own baby food for my little guy when he is ready to start solids in a couple of months.

Do you have to buy one of the special grinders, mills, etc to make the baby food or can you use a regular food chopper. I have both an electric one and a hand operated one.

Anyone with experience in this? Any hints?

My older DS is 14 years old so it has been a long time and I fed him jarred food and he went over to table food at a pretty early age.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 04:22 PM

RE: Making your own baby food

Shopping at Rite Aid

My Mood/Status:
samanthaflower13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!samanthaflower13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!samanthaflower13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!samanthaflower13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!samanthaflower13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!samanthaflower13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!samanthaflower13 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I just used my magic bullet...a blender would probably work fine as long as it is well ground. I used a little water and/or rice cereal to make it the correct consistency. You can premake it and freeze the food in an ice cube tray to make perfect portion sizes.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:14 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have a cuisnart mini chopper~ it is over ten years old and I used it to make babyfood for all five of my children, it worked like a dream. Just pulse it up and rinse it to clean and your done. It is small enough it can sit on the counter w/o taking up too much space.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frugalista mom to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD(12),
DS(9),
DD(8), Twin Girls (7)
The Following User Says Thank You to 4my5kds For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Is there such thing as too much toilet paper?
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!RoxykinsIII has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
You can use just about anything that will puree the food. Baby food is so easy to make, healthier than jars, and much less expensive.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:14 PM

My Mood/Status:
jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jibbers has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Thanks everyone. I am glad that I can use what I already have. I had heard people talking about the Baby Bullet and the one other baby food maker and when I looked them up they both were going for $75 or more on ebay. Kind of negates the savings portion of making your own food.

I have found several sites with recipes and the food looks healthier and also gives more variety and introductions to more foods than traditional baby food. And it does not look to be particularly time consuming - maybe an hour a week to make the food.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:37 PM

My Mood/Status:
Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I also used a cuisinart mini chopper, big cuisinart food processor & blender. Don't invest in anything special to smoosh up food - anything you have will work!

My favorite baby food book is Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. She gives a month-by-month guide of what to introduce, how to make stuff, how to make sure you're including enough of everything & lots of other random tips.

I made all the food for both of my kids and it only took me an hour or two a week. Most of the time I would be able to pick off vegetables & things I was cooking for dinner for the babies so it was even easier. Good luck, and good for you. Prepackaged baby food is SO expensive and often contains much more than "food". Blech.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robbo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2011, 02:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
snippinitup has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!snippinitup has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!snippinitup has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!snippinitup has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!snippinitup has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!snippinitup has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I used my blender.

I bought frozen veggies like peas, green beans, mixed beans etc. b/c they were out of season when I was making it.

Squash was so easy to do. I bought the cubes in the produce section and then boiled it like potatoes threw it in the blender.

Oh an sweet potatoes!!! oh...my....put them in the microwave like a baked potato. Your house smells so good!! And then the skin pulls right off and you can throw it in the blender...or just mash it up depending on what you need.

And I used cupcakes pans to freeze it in. Just put in the freezer till it is hard. Then they pop right out and i would bag them up.

I started making my food kinda late. I wish I would have done it from the start!

If you poke around the internet you can find lots of recipes for cereal, cookies, breads all kinds of stuff!!!

Good luck!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snippinitup For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2011, 07:04 PM

is having the time of her life!

coco2 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coco2 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coco2 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coco2 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coco2 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coco2 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coco2 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!coco2 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I used my blender, too, and then put the mixture into ice cube trays to freeze, and then
transferred them to Ziploc bags. I would just grab the amount I needed for a meal, and
leave it on a (covered) dish to thaw. Worked great.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM

night owl :)

My Mood/Status:
sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Yup I also just used my blender. It would have defeated the purpose if I had to buy some special equipment. I did buy a couple ice-cube trays (rubber) to freeze and then I just put them in ziplock baggies. One ice cube tray is about 1oz of baby food. My favorite type to make was sweet potatoes (my daughter LOVED them) and peas! I used frozen peas. I also made blends from squash with apples and cinnamon. This time, I am going to start making food a couple months in advance before the baby starts solids so I can get a stash up in the freezer beforehand and not be rushed. I also loved reusing some of the baby jars (when we needed premade food) for when we were on the go (just put them in an icepack bag like you would breastmilk or formula), it made it easy to feed on the go.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4 (NIV)
Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 AM

Dmeldrum has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarloaf10
I did buy a couple ice-cube trays (rubber) to freeze and then I just put them in ziplock baggies.
Where did you find the rubber ice cube trays? I've been searching and just cannot find any. I have some trays actually made for baby food I got on clearance but I was thinking rubber would be super easy to get out. I'm actually in the middle of steaming my babies first ever batch of carrots right now. I might find these work great, but I just thought I'd ask since you mentioned them. = )
Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
BudgetingBetty has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmeldrum View Post
Where did you find the rubber ice cube trays? I've been searching and just cannot find any. I have some trays actually made for baby food I got on clearance but I was thinking rubber would be super easy to get out. I'm actually in the middle of steaming my babies first ever batch of carrots right now. I might find these work great, but I just thought I'd ask since you mentioned them. = )
I used the covered ones marketing for baby food making and they weren't rubber but worked great. I would hold the cover tray sideways and run hot water over the bottoms of the cubes for a few seconds until I could hear the melting ice cracking sound. Worked like a charm.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:48 PM

Can't wait for summer!

My Mood/Status:
ytelmar has posted more than 100 good deals!ytelmar has posted more than 100 good deals!
I used my blender and a little water or apple juice for fruit way back when. I have teenagers now.
Good luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:40 PM

Dmeldrum has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudgetingBetty

I used the covered ones marketing for baby food making and they weren't rubber but worked great. I would hold the cover tray sideways and run hot water over the bottoms of the cubes for a few seconds until I could hear the melting ice cracking sound. Worked like a charm.
That's the kind I have and it never occurred to me to just run warm water over it until they pop out. Great tip. Thanks!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:34 AM

My Mood/Status:
I am amazed at how easy it has been to make baby food. I am saving so much money as well. I am buying organic produce and still saving so much.

I've used my blender a lot and it takes not time to puree stuff.

Yesterday a friend gave me 8 nice sized fresh peaches. I baked 6 for baby food and chopped two up for use in a mesh feeder and froze the chunks.

My little guy is loving the food as well.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:05 AM

Professional Fangirl

My Mood/Status:
medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I also used a blender (didn't have a food processor at the time due to $ constraints but if you have a choice, I highly recommend a good high capacity food processor, they are about 50 bucks). I steamed all my veggies, tossed them in the blender with a touch of water to help thin it out. Many moms I knew used breast milk but I was done nursing at that point. Then I poured it into the ice trays to freeze. Once they were frozen, I popped them out and put them into marked freezer storage bags. I kept a stack of bags for all my different foods in the freezer, I think each cube is 2 oz, I'd melt what I needed in a pot and that was that. Avoid microwaves as it creates heat spots, also especially avoid microwaves when using breast milk because it damages the milk. I got those plastic baby food containers with lids for when we were out and about because it fit a cube perfectly. I just dumped the food out and put my own in. I used all organic veggies and fruits also. I'd buy up all my fruits and veggies for the month, spend about 2 hours cooking it all and be done for the entire month. You don't need ANY of that stuff they peddle, thats all a rip off, like a lot of baby stuff.

The Following User Says Thank You to medic2midwife For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2011, 09:23 AM

My Mood/Status:
Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Robbo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medic2midwife
You don't need ANY of that stuff they peddle, thats all a rip off, like a lot of baby stuff.
Amen!
The Following User Says Thank You to Robbo For This Useful Post: