Hi Everyone, Who's On A PTA?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2005, 08:08 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

bhahn has posted more than 5 good deals
Hi Everyone, who's on a PTA?

I've been on my PTA for a year now and Elections are coming up. But we usually have the same people nominated and then elected. Does anyone do a carnival?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2005, 07:23 AM

RE: Hi Everyone, who's on a PTA?

My Mood/Status:
skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
Don't get me started on PTA! Finishing a second year as VP and already stated I do not want to be nominated as president.
Barb is our PTA Queen and wonderful with Carnival ideas. We did a Winter Carnival this year and had a $1200 profit which was great since we were only budgeted for a $750 profit. (Our carnival is not a big money maker but rather just a family event.) Barb gave me a lot of great suggestions and I have ideas for next year to pass on too.
What office do you hold?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:10 PM

I was nominated as VP also, my wife is actually President, everyone laughs at me because 1. Im on the PTA, and 2. my wife is higher ranked, but I don't care, I like being involved, and I'm probably one of the few that love to do fundraisers, I guess I have a great company to work with that make it super easy. What state is your school located?
Old 02-11-2005, 07:16 PM

L@@king for blinkies!

ticker has posted more than 150 good deals!ticker has posted more than 150 good deals!
Dawn's house is PTA Central! I have been there...believe me!

"I find it helps to organize chores into three categories: things I wonít do now, things I wonít do later, and things Iíll never do."
Maxine
Old 02-11-2005, 09:31 PM

What does she usually do as FR's for the school?
Old 02-11-2005, 09:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!skyesmom has posted more than 300 great deals!
This year we did the Entertainment Books as our fall fundraiser. They went over well, but we were a little behind in gettin gstarted. Our spring fundraiser is cookie dough, but not the frozen kind. This is the gourmet cookies you just add the eggs, etc to. Hoping it will go over well. Tired of Daniel's - they have been used for the last 6 years and it has gotten old. Interstate Batteries has a fundraiser that looks promising (household batteries) too. We collect the Boxtops for Education (worthwhile) and Campbell's Labels (just because I hate to throw them away - they are only worth a penney apiece). Our PTA budget is about $7000/year which doesn't seem like much, but is good considering our school demographics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-11-2005, 11:17 PM

I know a really good company that has the dry and frozen cookie dough and catalogs, they even offer incentives, would you be interested? And Fun!! student participation prizes like Pig Races!! Would anyone be interested in this company?
Old 02-11-2005, 11:18 PM

Has anyone done a silent auction, our school is thinking of doing on for the 1st time ever.....Scary.....
Old 02-12-2005, 11:00 AM

Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I am president on the board right now, will be next year I guess. I am really discouraged by our principal right now so it probably isn't the best time for me to post
I have done it all. Was vp of fundraising and have done just about every fundraiser imaginable. We operate with around $40,000 a year. We won't look at a fundraiser unless we think we can clear a min of $10,000 if we are doing three a year and $20,000 if we are doing two.
Glad your carnival went well Dawn.
I have been part of a silent auction at our old school (private). It was very well run. At the public school we are at now, it would not work so well but we do well with basket raffles at Carnival.
HTH
Old 02-12-2005, 12:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
We have done a silent auction the last two years at they have done well for us. Each grade level is given a theme and the kids bring the items for the baskets. Some of the teachers will get together and wrap the baskets and we set them out at our Carnival for bids. We have had kitchen, baby, car, bath & beauty, and several other theme baskets. People have started looking forward to the Carnival just for the auction!

Old 02-12-2005, 01:41 PM

Hey Barb, I have found that the gift catalog and frozen foods gets our school a really good profit, plus my company I run with, if we run two falls in a row gives us an extra 2% for each fall. We're at a school that has to make atleast $150,000 a year, that's why I was telling you that we basically use all of my companies programs. If anyone is interested look at their site: www.schoolhouseresources.com. Just send them an email in the feedback session and they'll send you a packet.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:42 PM

With the silent auction, we were thinking about local companies to donate gift certificates that people can bid on and then do the baskets that all the students contribute to. We were thinking of doing the silent auction at the crab feed, would that be a good idea?
Old 02-12-2005, 06:57 PM

My Mood/Status:
Assuming the crab feed is your version of a carnival and it lasts at least 2-3 hours to give people time to bid and time for the bids to rise, then that would be a great idea. $150k in fundraising for your PTA??? WHAT do you do with the $?

Old 02-12-2005, 07:07 PM

Grounded for Life

Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Barb has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
That was my question!? HOW do you guys spend 150,000???
We have problems finding things to spend $40,000 on...although our principal would be happy if we gave it to her....NOT!!!!
Old 02-13-2005, 12:37 PM

We're a k-8 school, should we make the items to get easier for k and then more advanced for the 8th grade? or should everyone just be given a theme for the silent auction?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:43 PM

Well our money goes to all the school supplies, we buy atleast 5 new computers each year, we fund all the field trips, science camp, parties, plus the principle is allowed to use the money too. When my wife and I came into the PTA, they told us to try for 150,000 because the pta's before us have always done that. I remember when we first started the new year and some of the parents told us to use Red Apple, and my wife and I said no because Schoolhouse Resources has always been nice and good to us, boy were they mad. They even wanted to try to reelect someone else. Then after the fall, they heard from other schools that Red Apple had over 40 back orders, and still havent received some in the spring, they were so happy and so nice with our decision, crazy, huh? We thought it was funny. We were almost impeached before we even started....
Old 02-14-2005, 08:37 PM

www.schoolhouseresources.com to receive free fundraising packet

Tags
everyone, pta