Help! I Need Ideas For A 1st Grade Fall Parent Day

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 04:39 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Help! I need ideas for a 1st Grade Fall Parent Day

I am one of Aidan's class parents. He is in 1st grade. The teacher has asked us to put together a "parent" afternoon 3-4 times a year. The first one will be fall themed and it is October 8. The idea is that parents will come to the classroom that day from 12:30-2:00 and they will serve as helpers, guiding the children through 4 stations that we have set up in the room. The stations are craft, snack, reading, and math. Each station is expected to take about 30 minutes (and if they finish before, there will be a packet of fall activities for them to do at their seats before moving on to the next station). This has to be educational in nature, in order for us to do it. I am looking for ideas for each station....craft shouldn't be hard, snack should be something that they can make or decorate and eat (nothing can be homemade, so all store bought items). For reading and math, it just has to be an activity that emphasizes those skills. An example for math would be sorting leaves based on size or color, counting, and then graphing.

Everything needs to be themed for fall and appropriate for 1st graders. Any ideas??? We are planning the stations now, and I need ideas to take to our meeting. I would love some input from all of you creative parents out there!! Thanks for the help!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2010, 08:20 PM

RE: Help! I need ideas for a 1st Grade Fall Parent Day

My Mood/Status:
flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!flower_mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Craft: I always like taking construction paper and tracing the hand and connecting arm (trunk and limbs of a tree). Then you have different colour paints that the kids dip their fingers into and dab on the tree (makes the colourful leaves). I think for your afternoon that would be enough. I go a step further and we do the craft around thanksgiving and make it our Thanksgiving tree: The kids then write 3-6 things they are thankful for within the tree.
I hope I explained that decently.

Reading: I'm not sure if this is strictly 'reading' but it is fun and get the kids thinking. I've always done it season by season and taken the kids outside to look at the trees, but I don't see why you couldn't bring in pictures of trees, etc in different seasons. You ask them to write down a sentence about how the tree looks in the different seasons and discuss. I guess this works for any season, not just autumn. I would think the books you bring in with pictures could be written on their level so they could read them.

Math: I like your idea, especially the graphing (really gets them thinking).

Snack: I'm thinking warm cider, or pumpkin pie, but I'm trying to think of how you would do this in a classroom setting (and not a home)...Then again, you said it had to be store bought...I

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to flower_mom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
smokey4 has posted more than 75 good deals!
This was taken off of another site but it sounds simple and fun for the kids.

Apple snack: Need apples cut into wedges, and several flavors of Jell-O mix (the kind that has sugar in it). You will not make the Jell-O but use it in it's powdered form. Children dip an apple wedge into one of the Jell-O powders, covering all sides of the apple. Let the apple sit for several seconds, it turns a bright color. Then eat the apple. It's a messy activity but great fun. Best Jell-O's to use; orange, raspberry, lime, blueberry.
Apple Snacks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
age 8
The Following User Says Thank You to smokey4 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2010, 06:51 PM

AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks for the great ideas! It is really helpful. We have a meeting next week and I want to take plenty of ideas, so that we can easily choose something for each station and get to work on it!
The Following User Says Thank You to aidan&logansmommy For This Useful Post: