My DD Didn't Get Into Preschool.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 PM
https://www.facebook.com/doterraoilswithkim?ref_ty...

My Mood/Status:
Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My DD didn't get into preschool.....

She didn't get in because they said they only have a certain number of slots and felt that my DD wouldn't benefit from it. They won't place her in Kindergarten because the law says she must be 5 by Sept. 1. Now what should I do?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2010, 01:49 PM

RE: My DD didn't get into preschool.....

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!love+shop has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Are there any other options for preschool? In my area, there's a ton of church preschool programs that are still enrolling for fall.
The Following User Says Thank You to love+shop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 01:54 PM

is rocking the Maize and Blue

My Mood/Status:
MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!MichiganMan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by love+shop View Post
Are there any other options for preschool? In my area, there's a ton of church preschool programs that are still enrolling for fall.
I agree with this ... from your post in the thread last week, you were concerned that she was maybe too advanced academically for pre-school anyhow ... so perhaps you can find some other fun-type programs that she can do .... Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to MichiganMan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:12 PM

I HAVE A FEVER AND THE ONLY CURE IS MORE COUPONS!

My Mood/Status:
danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!danielephant has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
why does she have to go to school now?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danielephant For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:22 PM

keep on smyelin!

My Mood/Status:
bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bette has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I never put any of my kids in preschool and they are all academically gifted children. It didn't hurt them at all. They can learn just as much, if not more, at home. I wouldn't worry too much. She'll be fine! Just wait and put her right in kindergarten when the time comes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bette For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:27 PM

I LOVE to save $$$!

My Mood/Status:
lostfan30 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lostfan30 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lostfan30 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lostfan30 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lostfan30 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lostfan30 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lostfan30 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Were you trying for a Head Start program or a very selective city preschool? Otherwise there are surely church preschools and daycare run preschools with openings still

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Denise

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lostfan30 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:32 PM

Meow

My Mood/Status:
endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
If you feel like it would be in her best interest call the school and ask if they have early entrance kindergarten testing available. My daughter just missed the cut off date with the Seattle school district we had to go to the administration office and fill out a form. She was then scheduled to meet with a school psychologist and given some tests (physical and mental). She was accepted for early entrance kindergarten.

With that said I wish I could of known back then 20 yrs ago. that not all tests show what is in the best interest for the child. I think she would of been better off to wait the extra year. Some things you can't know until much latter.

Cat Lover.
The Following User Says Thank You to endlesoul For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:37 PM

AFC Star Member

simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!simba123 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I taught both of my kids to read when they were 3. DS and DD both went to church preschools had no issues and enjoyed every minute of it. Socialization is just as important as academics so look into a church preschool and let the fun begin!
The Following User Says Thank You to simba123 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:37 PM

is thankful for holidays that bring family home

My Mood/Status:
brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brook6 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
this is how my kids ended up in private school...

the public schools don't have a lot of options to accommodate your child, so you have to choose the flexible path that meets your needs

...I don't regret my choice and my kids did well...got back into public school at middle school and were ahead from then on...both just graduated college!
-
- - Brook6 - -
-
-
- -

> - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - > - >
-
The Following User Says Thank You to brook6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM

smackey has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!smackey has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!smackey has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!smackey has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!smackey has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!smackey has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!smackey has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!smackey has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
IMO, as a teacher, preschool is more for socialization than academics. Yes,children learn through play, so why not try another option such as others have suggested. My in home daycare even has a preschool option so surely there has to be other choices. Good luck and I'm sure your DD will be off to a great start in K next year
by day. Have one DD
that loves
and a new
boy. 2 crazy
and a
named Dorothy.
The Following User Says Thank You to smackey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:44 PM

:-)
AFC Administrator

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree w/others to look around for other options if you really want her in a school type of setting in the fall. I'm really looking forward to my DD starting two mornings of drop-off preschool this year. For her, I think it will be great socialization and I really like her teacher.
The Following User Says Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 02:57 PM

NOT ISO ANYTHING ATM
Tired again!

My Mood/Status:
Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Mommy2One has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree that if you really want her to go, look at other options if you can.

I'm hoping to get DD into Pre-School soon for this fall, all depends on if she can get a scholorship or not, if not then we have to try and find the $50 a month for that. Only reason I want her to go is for social skills, she's already quite a smart cookie so I'm not too worried about that but she needs the interaction.
5 yr old DD & 17 month old
DS & I love to

The Following User Says Thank You to Mommy2One For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM

https://www.facebook.com/doterraoilswithkim?ref_ty...

My Mood/Status:
Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Beautemous02 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by love+shop View Post

I know there is a private school, but I will have to look into it. I didn't even think to consider a church preschool. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMan View Post
I agree with this ... from your post in the thread last week, you were concerned that she was maybe too advanced academically for pre-school anyhow ... so perhaps you can find some other fun-type programs that she can do .... Good luck.

Thanks. I kinda figured after she went for preschool testing and she came out and goes "Mommy, I knew everything" that there was a good chance she was not going to get in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielephant View Post
why does she have to go to school now?

I would like for her to be enrolled in some type of school or program. Preschool here is not mandatory and I was hoping that even if she were too smart for preschool they would recommend something or have another class to put her in but that wasn't the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bette View Post
I never put any of my kids in preschool and they are all academically gifted children. It didn't hurt them at all. They can learn just as much, if not more, at home. I wouldn't worry too much. She'll be fine! Just wait and put her right in kindergarten when the time comes.

Thanks for the advice. I started out in a private preschool and it did me a lot of good, but everything is so costly nowadays and I know I am doing something right so even if she has to stay home, I know she will learn a lot from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan30 View Post
Were you trying for a Head Start program or a very selective city preschool? Otherwise there are surely church preschools and daycare run preschools with openings still

I guess its a very selective preschool, but it is through the regular school that has grades Pre-K through first grade. They said they only had 120 slots availabale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesoul View Post
If you feel like it would be in her best interest call the school and ask if they have early entrance kindergarten testing available. My daughter just missed the cut off date with the Seattle school district we had to go to the administration office and fill out a form. She was then scheduled to meet with a school psychologist and given some tests (physical and mental). She was accepted for early entrance kindergarten.

With that said I wish I could of known back then 20 yrs ago. that not all tests show what is in the best interest for the child. I think she would of been better off to wait the extra year. Some things you can't know until much latter.

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simba123 View Post
I taught both of my kids to read when they were 3. DS and DD both went to church preschools had no issues and enjoyed every minute of it. Socialization is just as important as academics so look into a church preschool and let the fun begin!

Thank you. I will definitely do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brook6 View Post
this is how my kids ended up in private school...

the public schools don't have a lot of options to accommodate your child, so you have to choose the flexible path that meets your needs

...I don't regret my choice and my kids did well...got back into public school at middle school and were ahead from then on...both just graduated college!

This is an option I am considering. SC public schools are not the greatest or at least they were not when I was in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackey View Post
IMO, as a teacher, preschool is more for socialization than academics. Yes,children learn through play, so why not try another option such as others have suggested. My in home daycare even has a preschool option so surely there has to be other choices. Good luck and I'm sure your DD will be off to a great start in K next year

Thanks for the advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sar1 View Post
I agree w/others to look around for other options if you really want her in a school type of setting in the fall. I'm really looking forward to my DD starting two mornings of drop-off preschool this year. For her, I think it will be great socialization and I really like her teacher.

Thanks for the advice and I wish your DD the best of luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!5kidsmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
She will be better off, not in kindy until she is the ages of the other children,. I am in waxhaw, just off SC border and so many parents hold their kids back a year as it is, so they are 6 by the time they start. it makes a big difference. my daughter made the cutoff by 4 days, and she is socially not the same as these older children, consider yourself llucky that you have another year to homeschool her and get her ready for kindy. we do lots of other activities. my kids are whizzes at measuring things, and they love cutting out the circulars improving her cutting skills, we will be getting down to business this year on her letters and writing
The Following User Says Thank You to 5kidsmama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2010, 05:25 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
The preschool program may be for children who are "at risk" for school failure. If so, they only take kids who fit their criteria. If there are spots left after that, they take kids who scored low on the test.

For socialization, look into park district programs. Ours has programs 2 hours/3 days/week just for socialization.

Last edited by Cadnil; 07-29-2010 at 05:29 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cadnil For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Busy with my 2 BOYS!

My Mood/Status:
jfoody76 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jfoody76 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jfoody76 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jfoody76 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jfoody76 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jfoody76 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jfoody76 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jfoody76 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jfoody76 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I'm an elementary teacher and a Mom to a 2 year old boy.

From my teacher side- I say try to get your daughter into some type of formal school setting - if you can. Teachers can tell a difference once the children start school....but it's the little things...taking turns, sitting and listening to someone read a story, and simply being asked to do something by someone who doesn't live in their house.... on a regular basis. Also, if your daughter is really advanced, then the teacher will confirm it for you and perhaps, steer you in the right direction. Plus, it will make the transition to Kindergarten so much easier for all involved.

From my mom side- Take a look at the church programs. I'm not a church/religous person at all. But we found a great preschool/daycare for my son for September when I go back to work. (Last year he had a one-on-one babysitter.) I was happily suprised as to how warm and nuturing it feels there....low stress...low pressure... and the children seem to be the focus. Perfect for what I want.

Good luck!
, Mommy to Joseph
3 1/2 years old and Jake
9 months!
Old 11-18-2010, 01:59 PM

oliver7901 has posted more than 10 good deals
Pre-school

I'm a teacher in South Carolina with a 3 1/2 year old. Cadnil is absolutely correct about the criteria for the program. The pre-school programs through the school districts in my area are only for children who do not demonstrate kindergarten readiness skills. In other words, any typical 3 or 4 year old will not qualify. My son goes to a church pre-school, and we love it. As a parent, I know he will learn all kindergarten readiness skills he needs at home. Most children learn those skills easily when they are read to daily, played with, talked to and involved in typical activities for kids that age. My son goes to pre-school for the socialization. That is often the hardest part for kindergarteners, and frequently the importance of being able to get along with other children and follow instructions is underestimated. I agree with everyone else. There are tons of church pre-schools that are great!
The Following User Says Thank You to oliver7901 For This Useful Post: