I Love My Homemade Baby Wipes!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 03:34 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!
Baby I Love my Homemade Baby Wipes!

I know this has been discussed before, but I just had to bring it up. I have used every brand of baby wipe available within 30 miles of my home, I have used washcloths, and I, just yesterday, made some homemade disposable wipes - and I love them! They are so much better than any wipe I can buy from the store, but with the convenience of a disposable wipe instead of a cloth wipe. We are on baby #2 now (Patton 20 months, Sera 3-1/2 months) and I have always loved my Huggies Gentle Care wipes best till now. Patton had a very stinky, messy diaper a few moments ago and the homemade wipes just cleaned her right up, no irritation, no scrubbing. They're thinner than Huggies, and I still used less!

The recipe I followed was for one tub of wipes (my mom used these on my sister and I, 25 years ago):

1/2 regular sized roll Viva Paper Towels, core removed
2 cups water
1 Tablespoon Johnson's Head-to-Toe Baby Wash
1 Tablespoon Johnson's Head-to-Toe Baby Lotion
1 Tablespoon Baby Oil

Boil the water, wash, lotion and oil together for 3 mminutes to sterilize. Place paper towels in container (I used a clean lysol disinfecting wipes container) and pour solution over top. Let cool before use.

I have no idea how long these will keep without mildewing, etc. So I'm keeping a close eye on them.

Any one else have luck with this or any suggestions?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 PM

RE: I Love my Homemade Baby Wipes!

chrisf66 has posted more than 100 good deals!chrisf66 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I made these oh about 17 years ago now and loved them also. Did not boil anything though. (how sterile does it have to be to clean poo )
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to chrisf66 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2009, 05:04 PM

My Mood/Status:
mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!mommyof1beauty has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I use no baby wipes, nothing, just cloth wipes...I made them myself, Best part is I toss them in the wash with my cloth diapers....

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mommyof1beauty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2009, 05:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!texasrandi has posted more than 400 great deals!
I figured with well water I should boil it all - you never know what you might grow with well water! But, if I had "city" water, I'd skip that step. And for all of you that use cloth wipes and diapers...kudos to you! You are a much stronger person than I am - wish I could make myself go cloth....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to texasrandi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2009, 07:26 PM

My Mood/Status:
wakeup has posted more than 300 great deals!wakeup has posted more than 300 great deals!wakeup has posted more than 300 great deals!wakeup has posted more than 300 great deals!
what a good idea, and savings in the long run
thanks for sharing your recipe
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wakeup For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2009, 07:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!babyboy2 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks for sharing. I will have to give this a try!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(3)who loves
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I love to
and
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyboy2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2009, 07:49 PM

is wishing my son would listen to me!!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Definately thanks for sharing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Devins mom For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2009, 09:00 PM

loves yellow.

My Mood/Status:
YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
So how long did they last? Great post BTW.
The Following User Says Thank You to YellowWoman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2009, 01:05 PM

My Mood/Status:
How long does the wipes' solution last? I made a huge batch in early November and stored it in quart jars and it's still good now...I did boil all my ingredients to keep stuff from growing in it, and it has been cool, so I have no idea what the complete shelf life is.

How long can you store a batch of paper towel wipes completely made up, in the tub, ready to go? I haven't stored any for more than 2 weeks, but I know they last a least that long.

How long can you store a batch of cloth wipes completely made up, in the tub, ready to go? Less than two weeks...I found a partial tub that I lost and it had begun to smell a little fermented and made my nose burn and my eyes water. I probably just can't get everything out of the cloth wipe without declaring chemical war on them, and I only use vinegar and laundry soap to clean them. So, I keep solution on hand with wipes folded and ready to go in the tub and when I need them, I just pour on the solution and I'm ready to go in a minute or two.

How long does it take me to go through a tub of paper towel wipes? About a week between my 20 month old and my 5 month old.

How long does it take to go through a tub of cloth wipes (made from old terry-cloth)? About 2-1/2 or 3 days (they're much thicker than paper towels and bigger too).

And how long did this last? As in how long did I stick with it? Still using them and enormously satisfied with them. Trying to turn completely to cloth wipes and making progress (DH is reluctant though on the poopies). Also, researching some cloth diapering ideas and thinking of making the switch, but reluctant to buy, so I'm researching patterns and materials at the moment...we'll see.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to texasrandi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2009, 02:28 PM

My Mood/Status:
gidget0949 has posted more than 200 great deals!gidget0949 has posted more than 200 great deals!gidget0949 has posted more than 200 great deals!
this sounds like good facial cleaner solution for me
Old 12-24-2009, 03:55 PM

I love vinegar!
Addicted to Coupons!!!

My Mood/Status:
Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm glad that works for you. I've tried to make my own laundry detergent and cleaning solution and it never seems to work out the way I want it. I've given up making my own stuff.. Especially since I rarely get deals on cheap paper towels.
(2)
The Following User Says Thank You to Alexdur85 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2010, 11:33 AM

My Mood/Status:
dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I have a bunch of old sheets that were given to me....I wonder how those would work if I cut them to wipe size and washed when used? I would put in a wipes box since they wouldn't be connected.
Anyone ever try?
The Following User Says Thank You to dianiagay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2010, 11:36 AM

ldargie has posted more than 300 great deals!ldargie has posted more than 300 great deals!ldargie has posted more than 300 great deals!ldargie has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof1beauty View Post
I use no baby wipes, nothing, just cloth wipes...I made them myself, Best part is I toss them in the wash with my cloth diapers....
I did the same with my daughter. Just a wet cloth wipe, it was so much easier to wash w/ cloth diapers than have a dirty paper to have to dispose of!!

I made a similar recipe w/ paper towels for my son years before my daughter. Although I didn't boil anything and they lasted a few weeks. I made sure to add some tea tree oil.
The Following User Says Thank You to ldargie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2010, 11:38 AM

ldargie has posted more than 300 great deals!ldargie has posted more than 300 great deals!ldargie has posted more than 300 great deals!ldargie has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianiagay View Post
I have a bunch of old sheets that were given to me....I wonder how those would work if I cut them to wipe size and washed when used? I would put in a wipes box since they wouldn't be connected.
Anyone ever try?
Are they just regular sheets or flannel? Regular sheets might be too thin. But if they are flannel I'd do two layers and sew them together or even one layer of flannel would work. I put mine in a little basket.
My favorite wipes were one side of flannel and one side of velour.

ETA and they would have to be cotton or mostly cotton.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ldargie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2011, 02:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
cr1999 has posted more than 300 great deals!cr1999 has posted more than 300 great deals!cr1999 has posted more than 300 great deals!cr1999 has posted more than 300 great deals!

Old 09-22-2011, 02:23 PM

alp421 has posted more than 200 great deals!alp421 has posted more than 200 great deals!alp421 has posted more than 200 great deals!
oh this is brining back memories. Mine are 13 and 10 now. My daughter (13) was completely cloth diapered and the payback was the she was fully potty trained at 18 months. Then my son was cloth diapered until he was 4 months old. We had just remodeled our house and moved then, so I couldn't keep up after that. I was buried in boxes.

I also used cloth wipes. I found it so much easier to wash my own than to have a diaper service. I purchased many different types of diapers with velcro and such, but ended up liking the old fashioned kind and used pins.

Good luck!