Being Alone With Two Kids All The Time

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 01:44 PM

RE: Being alone with two kids all the time

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!srvymaster has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Also, my DS wouldn't go to anyone and again he wouldn't take a bottle. You need to just be ok with them crying and leave. It's not your problem... it's DH's or the babysitters or the grandparents - they are the ones in charge... you are the one leaving. The longer you stay the more the babysitter or DH or grandparents will feel like you don't want them to watch her or that they can't handle it. It's more important that you have some time than your DD doesn't cry or is happy for a few hours. Just remember, no one will die while you are gone but you will feel better.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2009, 01:46 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would seriously tell DH this Saturday, I am giving you a week's notice and I am going to be gone on Saturday for about an hour of mommy time. Leave him with the kids and drive 30 min in one direction and 30 min back. You will feel so much better after that hour!!! Your daughter might be upset the entire time but at the same time she is not going to be neglected and is being taken care of someone who loves her.

I raised my DD on my own for the first 16 months of her life, as DH deployed when she was six days old. I made it about 4 months before I joined a playgroup that met at 10:30 in the morning and I made her schedule work around it. If she fell asleep she fell asleep but it was sanity talking to another adult! Then at about 10 months I got up the nerve to join the YMCA, she screamed the entire hour I was gone for the first week and then slowly started adapting and within 3 weeks she was a pro and is now 2 and loves going to play with the kids. I HAD to bite that bullet as I hated hearing her scream but I knew I was doing what was best for her and me.

Now DH is home, has been home for 7 months now and they have a great relationship. I still get very easily frustrated with him for not picking up his end of the slack on occassion but he does better than most. He has already been informed I am going grocery shopping by myself this weekend (no questions asked) That is going to be my mommy quiet time for a couple of hours.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,a 2 year old
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and baby girl
The Following User Says Thank You to hcsig For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 01:49 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!stefani1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think this is pretty normal!! I will say that my DH wasn't good at the beginning, but then I "left" him with DS for a week. He had off and I had the opportunity to work full time hours, so I did!!! It was the best thing EVER!!! He called me tons of times to ask questions, but that was ok. He now contributes more. He's definitely far from perfect and I still have to ask him to do a lot, but that week made him realize what I do all the time. He was so happy to go back to work after his "vacation".

We have another one on the way in a few weeks and I'm anxious to see how he helps me. I hate that I even have to ask him to do stuff, but it's better than him not doing anything. I get the huffs and puffs from him if I ask if he could actually change a diaper or clean a cup or even put the baby to sleep - but he does it eventually. I think I'm just so annoying that he'd rather do it than hear me anymore!! LOL!!

Believe me though - I feel your pain. I do understand that they work all day and that when they come home that they may need some time to unwind too - but if I allow him to get free time, then I get mine too!!!

It's tougher that the baby won't feed from a bottle though and so you have to be home for that. Soon the baby won't need you (if you stop breastfeeding) and maybe you'll have some more time!
The Following User Says Thank You to stefani1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 02:13 PM

My Mood/Status:
cityliveaj has posted more than 25 good deals
I could have written your post. I love my husband to death but seriously sometimes I just need a break. I wouldn't want the stress of his job but sometimes I wonder what it would be like to be him and know that the kids were being well taken care of and not have to worry once. ((HUGS)) you are not alone
The Following User Says Thank You to cityliveaj For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 07:29 PM

I love vinegar!
Addicted to Coupons!!!

My Mood/Status:
Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Alexdur85 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My daughter is quite the little diva herself. Seriously, I hated asking my family to watch her even for 15 mins so I could finally shower. They complained the same way. They say now that she is older it's a little bit easier and they don't mind as much...key word..as much.

When my daughter was younger I think my boyfriend took extra time to do things so that he wouldn't have to deal with her. Like his 10 minute shower he takes now use to be 30 minutes.

He use to get mad at me because I am so anal about keeping the house clean. It's no where to perfect however I want it presentable in case someone comes by that we're not expecting. He would alway say that it looks "fine" and to stop cleaning and take a break. I'd love to take a break! If there wasn't so much to do! So today he calls and says that a co worker is coming over to get some eggs..so I have to scurry to try and do the dishes, pick up the toys, clean off the table and make both of them a sandwich. After he left my boyfriend said "ok, let me have it. I know you are mad".. I said I wasn't mad that he came over. But he has to understand why I'm so anal about cleaning up after ourselves and not leaving stuff just lying around. I think I finally got through to him because he cleaned up his mess from the sandwich. We'll see how long this lasts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsreason View Post
I know what you mean Susuz, about not sweating the small stuff, it doesn't bother me so much when DH washes dishes for an hour (unless DD is having one of her famous crying episodes, then I'd wish he'd quit for a while and help with her... but at least the dishes are getting clean)

I think that when dh washes the dishes they are cleaner than when I do it, he just takes more time and care knowing he just has that one thing to do. While I'm washing the dishes, in my head I'm already onto the next 3 chores

We live in a small town, we don't know anyone here, our closes friend is a 45 minute drive, the couple times I left DD with a family member (4 hours north) my family (and in laws) made it clear that taking care of my DD was just too much work.

It's actually kind of funny. They only had her for 2 hours each, I have had her for 5 months! Boy if I complained about having her as much as they did for just those 2 hours, I wouldn't have time for anything else!

I love my little baby, but I think she is going to be a diva!
(2)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alexdur85 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2009, 07:52 PM

it has been over a year since I have been on AFC

My Mood/Status:
knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!knw2860 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Oh how I feel your pain! I work part time outside of the home and dh works full time as a corrections officer at the jail. His job is much more stressful then mine and he has to work 12 hour shifts. When he works it is from 6a to 7p and I am here doing everything for all three boys. I also go to school online. My middle son is disabled and he cannot be left alone at all. It is hard to get everything done when I am by myself and lord help us all if I have to go out of the house or to the store with all three kids. I work the days that dh is home so we never have to worry about childcare. My work hours vary but I find that even on the days I have to work I still do everything either before or after I get off. Today for example I worked from 7a-3p, stopped at the store to grab a few groceries, came home to make dinner, gave the kids a bath, got them snack, and got them off to bed. My dh is a great guy and will do anything I ask sometimes before I even ask but lately I am exhausted. He cooks, cleans, does laundry and is a great dad but I still feel like I do it all.
, mommy to Devin (12)
, Brandon (9)
and Kyle (4)
The Following User Says Thank You to knw2860 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!coupondiva55 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yeah, most men are like mine that way...DH thinks a walk in the park to take care of a small child...we went to the movies the other day - he took care of our lo and our DD1(12) went to the movies while he stayed in the playground/lego land of the movie theater w/our lo. He said it was fun an easy...right that's b/c he only did it for 2 hrs. One day he asked what do I do all day? I told him I just sit around and do my nails and when he comes home the house is clean/food is done and all he has to do is sit down relax and watch tv...sarcastically of course! He would not last a day in my life!!
Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupondiva55 View Post
Yeah, most men are like mine that way...DH thinks a walk in the park to take care of a small child...we went to the movies the other day - he took care of our lo and our DD1(12) went to the movies while he stayed in the playground/lego land of the movie theater w/our lo. He said it was fun an easy...right that's b/c he only did it for 2 hrs. One day he asked what do I do all day? I told him I just sit around and do my nails and when he comes home the house is clean/food is done and all he has to do is sit down relax and watch tv...sarcastically of course! He would not last a day in my life!!
HA! Really! DH will say he doesn't know how I do it, but I don't think he really gets how exhausting it can be. I was definitely one of those people who thought being a SAHM was going to be SO much easier than my high-stress career. I wouldn't say it's easier, just very different w/an entirely different type of stress. I don't regret it, I just didn't really know what I was in for.

When we have guests coming and a long list of things that need to be done around the house in preparation, he will always ask what needs to be done and 9 times out of 10 I just tell him to keep DD out of my hair so I can do everything. Recently he asked me "do you want me to take care of her or take care of something on the list?" This time I told him he can do both things at the same time. He was dumbfounded at the very idea.

DD was about 14 months old before he ever took her out on his own anywhere. He took her to Home Depot for about a half hour just after I had given her dinner. So she was well-fed and still had about 2 hours before bedtime - her perfect timing to do anything. He thinks it's always that easy to go anywhere and run errands with her. He didn't need to take an emergency snack, sippy cup, or diaper/wipes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2009, 08:14 PM

Yep... there needs to be a PMS face! :)

My Mood/Status:
kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sar1 View Post
DD was about 14 months old before he ever took her out on his own anywhere. He took her to Home Depot for about a half hour just after I had given her dinner. So she was well-fed and still had about 2 hours before bedtime - her perfect timing to do anything. He thinks it's always that easy to go anywhere and run errands with her. He didn't need to take an emergency snack, sippy cup, or diaper/wipes.
On a DAILY (DAILY) basis I take both kids out. In 9 months DH has taken both out twice and I don't really considered it out becasue they went to Grandmas. So basicly he was taking them there to help him.

Most of the time if I leave the house one of the kids is going with me. He always jokes with me that if i leave the house to go get milk or just run a quick errund for a minute that I am gone for an hour... little does he know that if I have one minute it might turn into an hour or 2 or 3 or 4 (okay amybe not that long but you get it.)

He always tell me he could stay at home all the time but he could never. He's in the door for 1 minute and he's already frustrated with DS. I can't wait for the day where I can leave both of them for a couple days to get away. I WANT him to know what I go through because he doesn't understand. He doesn't understand by the time DS goes to bed I am ready to. I've been up for 14 hours!

Someone was taking about the house being clean all the time... and that made me laugh because my house is a mess all the time. Have on boy who destroys everything I pick up and three dogs running around... it ain't possible. I just figured that eventually one day my house will be nice looking all the time... ONE DAY!

Thanks all for everything... you might not think you are helping but you area helping me out A LOT!!!

(13 months apart) and just trying to enjoy life (my crazy life)

I actually did it for 11 1/2 months! I am more than thrilled. Now she is 1... it is very sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to kallagreen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2009, 10:06 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
carissadenn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!carissadenn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!carissadenn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!carissadenn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!carissadenn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!carissadenn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!carissadenn has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallagreen View Post
On a DAILY (DAILY) basis I take both kids out. In 9 months DH has taken both out twice and I don't really considered it out becasue they went to Grandmas. So basicly he was taking them there to help him.

Most of the time if I leave the house one of the kids is going with me. He always jokes with me that if i leave the house to go get milk or just run a quick errund for a minute that I am gone for an hour... little does he know that if I have one minute it might turn into an hour or 2 or 3 or 4 (okay amybe not that long but you get it.)

He always tell me he could stay at home all the time but he could never. He's in the door for 1 minute and he's already frustrated with DS. I can't wait for the day where I can leave both of them for a couple days to get away. I WANT him to know what I go through because he doesn't understand. He doesn't understand by the time DS goes to bed I am ready to. I've been up for 14 hours!

Someone was taking about the house being clean all the time... and that made me laugh because my house is a mess all the time. Have on boy who destroys everything I pick up and three dogs running around... it ain't possible. I just figured that eventually one day my house will be nice looking all the time... ONE DAY!

Thanks all for everything... you might not think you are helping but you area helping me out A LOT!!!
Holy cow! That sounds JUST like my life!
I feel your pain.
I ALWAYS have at least one kid with me-even to run and get milk.
And ditto on the clean house...I have two boys a dog and two cats. I clean a room top to bottom, head into the next room to start on it and the previous room is already messy!
I know exactly what you are feeling...I am right there with you!
The Following User Says Thank You to carissadenn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2009, 06:54 AM

Thankful for all the great AFCers!

My Mood/Status:
jwieland has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jwieland has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jwieland has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jwieland has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jwieland has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jwieland has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
OMG! This is a great thread! I have to tell you with my three oldest DSs I was a single mom and had to work and continued to work until number 4. I had so much more patience it seemed like because I had some separation time from them each day. Now I am a SAHM. I feel like I am trapped here some days. I am here with a 5 yr old autistic DS, a terrible 2 yr old DS and a 4 mo. old DD. We can't go out during the day because my autistic son has very bad aggression problems and is extremely hyper, add two other little ones with that and well going out can be a nightmare. DH does not get why by the end of the day I can be so stressed out. He gets up for work at 8am(I have to get him up), leaves at 9am and returns home around 7pm. He then gets on the computer to game or chat with friends until anywhere from 1-4 am. AFC and couponing have become my escape of sorts. Since I can't go out during the day most of the time I have to wait until DH comes home. He has a hard time dealing with the kids by himself so I wait until the two youngest are in bed and then I go out to shop. Those shopping trips have become my me time. DH is now like do you need to go out every night to a store and I explain to him that it is the only time I can go and that just like his job I now get a lunch hour and two 15 minute breaks at least so I am taking them to go shopping. That was the only way I could make the point to him about it. I don't get to go to lunch in downtown Chicago with friends, I don't get to go outside with friends for a cigarette break, heck I don't even get to have friends for the most part. Anyway I love my hubby and my kids to death but goodness why is it so hard for men to get sometimes? My dream in all this is to someday have my DH tell me to sleep in and that he will feed the kids and take care of them so I can get some rest. Isn't that a wonderful dream?
mother to DS Brandon(16)
DS Jacob(13)
DS Dominic(12)
DS Luke(5)
DS Jackson(2)
DD Ellie(1)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwieland For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2009, 07:23 AM

The early bird catches the worm!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bette View Post
OK, some of your DH's have actually pulled night duty? OMG! Mine has never once gotten up to care for any of the kids, even when I am sick. I swear I haven't had a full night's sleep in 11 years now. He says his sleep is so much more important than mine because he actually works. HA!!
OMG, is that my DH you're talking about? I have had night duty for the past 4 years and 3 months. Even when I badly sprained my ankle last year, I was getting up with the kids. The only time he takes care of a sick child is after they have finished throwing up and have been cleaned up, so I can go clean up the mess.

Some men are huge babies!

FreebieMama believes in reading
The Following User Says Thank You to FreebieMama For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2009, 08:04 AM

we were all newbies once
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bette View Post
OK, some of your DH's have actually pulled night duty? OMG! Mine has never once gotten up to care for any of the kids, even when I am sick. I swear I haven't had a full night's sleep in 11 years now. He says his sleep is so much more important than mine because he actually works. HA!!
I've stayed out of this thread because, honestly, my dh is very helpful. Like right now, I am in bed because my head hurts so badly. DH got up with the kids and fed them all this morning. He usually does that on days he is home. And yes, he will get up at night. I usually do it, but he knows he has to help too. When our twins were babies, we took shifts feeding them during the night. I know I am lucky. He knows I think I am lucky.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NJMom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 PM

what should we do today?

My Mood/Status:
okeydoke has posted more than 200 great deals!okeydoke has posted more than 200 great deals!okeydoke has posted more than 200 great deals!
I completely understand!! My husband works a lot and I am SAHM to 2 kids. His reasoning for not doing night duty is that I am nursing (not too big a deal since she only nurses once during the night, maybe) and that I can get back to sleep so much easier. If he has to get up and do anything he can't get back to sleep for at least an hour. Also, most of the time he is home he is on the computer talking with his friends and playing games. His idea of quality time is having DS watch him play his game. Rarely does he do something with him. He's been home for three days straight now and hasn't changed one diaper, prepared or cleaned up after one meal, or done any feeding DD. I hate griping at him since he does work hard when he's at work so that I can stay at home but I've been praying a lot lately that he would step up more and see how he can be a better dad/husband.
The Following User Says Thank You to okeydoke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2009, 06:50 PM

The early bird catches the worm!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
I've stayed out of this thread because, honestly, my dh is very helpful. Like right now, I am in bed because my head hurts so badly. DH got up with the kids and fed them all this morning. He usually does that on days he is home. And yes, he will get up at night. I usually do it, but he knows he has to help too. When our twins were babies, we took shifts feeding them during the night. I know I am lucky. He knows I think I am lucky.

You are lucky!

I think some men are more patient with their children, and some really have no idea how to interact with children.

FreebieMama believes in reading
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreebieMama For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2009, 07:29 PM

Happy New Year!
Rockin' Coupon Mom (& Wife!)

My Mood/Status:
GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!GardenCat1971 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My husband is wonderful and amazing, but honestly sometimes he just doesn't get it and he's never done night duty.

Sometimes when he gets home from work I just need 30 minutes to myself so I may just go to CVS which is 2 minutes from the house. (Yeah, sad I know) He was like do you have to go somewhere every time I come home from work? I was like, uh yeah, if I want any peace. I have 3 boys and my middle one is mildly autistic and just plain old wears me out. I love them all, but man oh man. I need a break.

BTW, I've already announced that I'm going to the Columbia, MD get together on July 25th. i'm trying to figure out how I can go the night before even I can't wait to just be in the car w/out him or my boys for 5 hrs!
The Following User Says Thank You to GardenCat1971 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 PM

is crazy busy during her favorite time of year!

My Mood/Status:
lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallagreen View Post

I could have written this post almost word for word! I cart my kids all over; daddy's "only going to be gone for a minute" so the kids can just stay home. My DS1 (3.5 yo) and DS2 (1.5 yo) are up before 7am every day and then read to and in bed at 9:30pm after being with me all day. If my husband gets up before 7:30 on a weekday or 9 on a weekend it's a miracle. I'm lucky in that he will put one of them to bed each night (we alternate which one). If I'm not exhausted by then, at the very least I'm looking for some ME time to scrapbook or organize my coupons. He insists we watch TV, of course with the lights out or dimmed, which means I can't do either of those things.

My husband is finally sober now (3 months) after moving from social drinker to alcoholic since the birth of our second son. We went through some tough times. I'm very lucky that I have good kids and supportive parents that live half an hour away.

That being said, we still have a lot of issues to deal with. He may have stopped drinking, but he wasn't being much of a husband or father. Until I began seeing a therapist. I arranged it without his knowledge for the first session and then told him afterward. I had been saying I was going to do it, but was lazy. He blew up at me. First thing out of his mouth was, "why, so you can tell her what an a$$hole I am?!" My only thought was, "if you knew you were being an a$$hole, then why not shape up??" But I kept my mouth shut and have continued to see the therapist for two months now. Hubby has really begun shaping up even though he's not the one seeing the therapist.

The therapist said that many times they get nervous and think you're going to leave (I never, ever said or even implied that I wanted to leave - that wasn't my goal) when you speak to someone like that. I guess that's what happened in my case.

So long story short, maybe some discussions with a neutral outside party can help you in a couple of different ways. And your medical insurance may even cover part of it as mine does.
The Following User Says Thank You to lastocks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2009, 08:43 PM

My Mood/Status:
alexia598 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!alexia598 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!alexia598 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!alexia598 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!alexia598 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!alexia598 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Lowered expectations of dh + prozac = happy family.

DH is who he is, and is a good man with good values, and I'm thankful that I can stay home. But he's still a man, with all those man-flaws already mentioned here. Admittedly, there are times when I have no complaints about it, if you catch my drift. However, with dd1's autism, food allergies and asthma, tdd2's seizure disorder, and tdd3's food allergies and asthma, I felt like I was the captain of a sinking ship. I take my happy pills, bliss out, and take charge of things. It's never, ever going to be perfect around here, and the only thing I will ever really be able to control is my attitude. He appreciates me and helps out as much as he can. I'm pretty low maintenance, so what more can I ask for?

I'm reading the book, The Glass Castle right now. It's a memoir about a really crazy mixed up family. I highly recommend it if you need to regain some perspective. Also, there's a 1950's or 60's movie about a young wife who successfully trained her husband like a dog. That might offer some helpful pointers!
, the princess,
, and the sweetheart
The Following User Says Thank You to alexia598 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 AM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think the key is to communicate what you need, guys are NOT mind readers, they are not even good Mind Guessers! I always remember my SIL saying when she had 3 under the age of 5 that her husband came to her and said he needed some "me time" to go to the gym, play tennis or just chill out. She came back at him with "Here is what i need, I would
#1. Like to go to the bathroom by MYSELF, without someone at the door saying "Mom, what you doing in there, #1 or #2?

2. I would like to take a shower by myself, before noon or my dream would be to take a 30 minute hot bath with candles and music.

3. I would like to go to the grocery store BY MYSELF so that I don't spend half of the time putting things back away that the kids try to put in the cart.

AND YOU NEED ME TIME?"

I think he got the message.

I am so far behind I think I'm First!
The Following User Says Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susuz View Post
I think the key is to communicate what you need, guys are NOT mind readers, they are not even good Mind Guessers! I always remember my SIL saying when she had 3 under the age of 5 that her husband came to her and said he needed some "me time" to go to the gym, play tennis or just chill out. She came back at him with "Here is what i need, I would
#1. Like to go to the bathroom by MYSELF, without someone at the door saying "Mom, what you doing in there, #1 or #2?

2. I would like to take a shower by myself, before noon or my dream would be to take a 30 minute hot bath with candles and music.

3. I would like to go to the grocery store BY MYSELF so that I don't spend half of the time putting things back away that the kids try to put in the cart.

AND YOU NEED ME TIME?"

I think he got the message.
that made me chuckle

Like others already mentioned... Communication! That is the key!
Hubby and I had a lot of misunderstandings as well in the past (It's true, men are from mars, women from venus! hehe) but we handled it pretty well and you know what, sometimes when I go shopping now, I come home and the laundry is done and dishes are put away!

But the last 2 years 99% of the time I felt like a single mom of 2 since hubby had a 75h work week. His only day of was Sunday and he was just tired (can't blame him). So I had to take care of basically everything... it was very exhausting considering that we do not even have family around here which could help me out here and there with the kids. Oh how I just wanted to get struck by lightning back then (sometimes)

Alright... this were my

Do you want to become an AFC Forum Leader?

Openings and requirements can be found
!

Last edited by TJ_2008; 06-11-2009 at 03:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TJ_2008 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 PM

Addicted to shopping!

My Mood/Status:
Grettas3 has posted more than 200 great deals!Grettas3 has posted more than 200 great deals!Grettas3 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I agree..I have been reading on and on about all of this and OMG!!! I would have killed my hubby if he tried to pull half of that crap on me. Im a SAHM with 3 kids 12,8 & 2. The way my hubby and I look at it is this "Treat me how you would want to be treated" If you wake up in the morning and ask yourself "what can I do to make my partner happy today?" I promice you your relationship will be great! The key is getting your hubby to understand it too...they seem to be slow learners, my hubby and I have been together since 1989 and married for 13 years...took me a while to get him trained !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJMom View Post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grettas3 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2009, 03:51 PM

Fluent in Coupon

My Mood/Status:
jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think working moms DO understand what SAHMs go through, because when we're not at work, we're SAHM's too, doing the same things. Working moms lose sleep at the same pace as SAHM's. We still take care of the demands of children, do the cleaning, shopping, laundry, and the cooking, it's just crammed in around work vs spread throughout the day.

My DH helps by watching the kids, and he helps by cooking and cleaning, but he can't do both at the same time like I can. If he has the kids, that's it. And when he's done watching the kids, I have to pick up all the toys they get out! He is getting better at it, but it's slow progress!

Lucky for me, he's on summer vacation for the next 9 weeks! So far, he fed them breakfast and dressed them so I could run before work, trimmed all the bushes outside, and then took them to their swimming lesson after work because I had to go to a Home owner assn meeting. I love summer!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:08 PM

we were all newbies once
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NJMom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grettas3 View Post
I agree..I have been reading on and on about all of this and OMG!!! I would have killed my hubby if he tried to pull half of that crap on me. Im a SAHM with 3 kids 12,8 & 2. The way my hubby and I look at it is this "Treat me how you would want to be treated" If you wake up in the morning and ask yourself "what can I do to make my partner happy today?" I promice you your relationship will be great! The key is getting your hubby to understand it too...they seem to be slow learners, my hubby and I have been together since 1989 and married for 13 years...took me a while to get him trained !

If my DH ever said he has to 'babysit' our own kids, I would scream! He would never say that though because they are his kids so of course sometimes he is home alone with them. We have a great relationship and communicate our needs well. We're not perfect, but we are a good match.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJMom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2009, 07:27 PM

Fluent in Coupon

My Mood/Status:
jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Just wanted to add for OP, if your youngest is 9 months, she can eat food and drink water. If she won't take a bottle, let your husband hold a regular cup for her, or try a cup with straw, or sippy cup. At that age, both my kids stil nursed but also ate baby food, mushed regular food, pieces of banana or cheese slices, crackers, etc.

Letting her eat regular food could buy you some time out of the house.

Do you have a neighbor who would trade babysitting with you? If you could watch a neighbor's kids for 2-3 hours, then she could watch yours for 2-3 hours the next day, that might bring you a little peace, and would cost nothing.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:23 PM

Yep... there needs to be a PMS face! :)

My Mood/Status:
kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarber8 View Post
Just wanted to add for OP, if your youngest is 9 months, she can eat food and drink water. If she won't take a bottle, let your husband hold a regular cup for her, or try a cup with straw, or sippy cup. At that age, both my kids stil nursed but also ate baby food, mushed regular food, pieces of banana or cheese slices, crackers, etc.

Letting her eat regular food could buy you some time out of the house.

Do you have a neighbor who would trade babysitting with you? If you could watch a neighbor's kids for 2-3 hours, then she could watch yours for 2-3 hours the next day, that might bring you a little peace, and would cost nothing.
I WISH I had a neighbor to trade with but sadly I don't. She is eating foods... but the problem comes to naps... She normaly nurses to fall a sleep (bad habbit I know but sometimes when she was having ear problems it was the only way she would fall asleep and 2 months later I can't seem to break it still). The morning nap he has seemed to get her to go to sleep but by the time she eats lunch she's ready for the booby... but I think thats because she only gets her fluids from me. We have tried cups but she just chews on it and makes a big mess.

(13 months apart) and just trying to enjoy life (my crazy life)

I actually did it for 11 1/2 months! I am more than thrilled. Now she is 1... it is very sad.