Need Help W/toddler Crying Through Naps

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 AM
:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Need help w/toddler crying through naps

I really need some advice here. I know all kids are different, I'm just looking for ideas b/c I'm out of them! DD is about 17 months old, takes 1 nap a day - around 2-3 hours in the afternoon. She sleeps great at night - about 11 hours and goes to bed w/no problems at all. For the past 2-3 weeks she's been waking up about 45 minutes into her nap and immediately starts bawling. We only get about 2 days a week where she sleeps fine for the entire nap. Maybe 2 times a week she'll cry for a minute then go back to sleep on her own. Most time, though, I wind up having to go in and help her get back to sleep. She's definitely still tired and not ready for the nap to be over.

I've tried to soothe but not pick up, go back if still crying after 5, 10, 15 minutes. I've had to get to the 15 minute interval a few times. It just seems like it's not really working b/c she's still doing this most days. I know her teeth were bothering her for a few days last week (other signs) so I did pick her up and she'd calm down w/a few minutes of rocking and fall asleep in my arms. (I can't tell you the last time she fell asleep in our arms - she has wanted to sleep alone in her crib for a LONG time now.) I put her down and she cried for less than a minute and usually goes back to sleep to finish her nap.

I hate to see her crying so much and I don't know why she can't just get through her nap like she used to. Half the time when I go in to check on her she's either sitting down and just bawling like crazy, or laying down on her belly with her eyes completely closed and crying like crazy. When she finally does go back to sleep after the interruption, she will huff and make little sobs while she's asleep for quite a while. It's SO sad and I feel like I don't know what to do to help her.

I just got her back to sleep a few minutes ago and now a thunderstorm just started. Fantastic.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 10:02 AM

RE: Need help w/toddler crying through naps

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Awww I am so sorry!!! My guess is that her teeth are really bothering her, I would try to give her a little bit of tylenol before her nap. My DD was notorious for her teeth to start moving around just before nap time and you could just tell she was miserable.

My DD's 1 year molars took a month each before they stopped bothering her and they came in 1 at a time. So if her teeth are moving really slow she is probably just miserable and laying down might be hurting it or they start moving while she is sleeping and wakes her up.

Hang in there!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,a 2 year old
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and baby girl
The Following User Says Thank You to hcsig For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 07:20 PM

Yep... there needs to be a PMS face! :)

My Mood/Status:
kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I just went through that with my son... but he would also wake up after going to bed too. I think that she is probably teething and this is what it is from... I think that it is okay to soothe her at this time. They just want to be loved at this time. We would bring our son in our bed to cuddle with us until he calmed down and then he would go to bed. But he is over that now and he goes to bed fine so I don't think that it is going to cause any problems. Sometimes they just need mommy to soothe them.

hang in there it gets better... I have another on just around the corner!

(13 months apart) and just trying to enjoy life (my crazy life)

I actually did it for 11 1/2 months! I am more than thrilled. Now she is 1... it is very sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to kallagreen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
kallagreen - want to see something funny? Remember this thread? UPDATE: Are some babies not good nappers? Post #13

I knew I recognized your signature from the 2 kids 13 months apart. I was giving YOU nap advice a few months ago. Isn't it crazy how each phase - whether good or bad - is really so short?

I've been picking her up and rocking her to help her get back to her nap, and it's nice in a way since she's not typically really cuddly. Clingy sometimes, but not really in a cuddly way. Of course I wish she wasn't having such problems, though!

Yesterday I remembered to give her Tylenol right before her nap and she woke up at 45 minutes, cried for just a few seconds, and went back to sleep for a very long nap. Today I forgot the Tylenol b/c she was mostly in a good mood all day, but she slept for two straight hours and woke up a happy little girl. I'm not crazy enough to think I'm out of the woods yet, but I'm glad she got a good nap for once. She's really having a tough time eating, even her favorite foods.

Tags
advice, sleep, toddler