Who Else Is Homeschooling?

Closed Thread Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2006, 03:50 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Who else is Homeschooling?

and if you are, what are the ages that you are teaching?

we are hs'ing our 15 year old... primarily she is 10th grade with 12th and 11th grade subjects tossed in for flavor; as well as 1 college course beginning in the fall: Japanese 1.

Our style is Catholic Unschooling --it is a mix of traditional and unschooling and has worked very well for us the last year and a half (we have taught her for the last 6 years though).
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 03:54 PM

RE: Who else is Homeschooling?

loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
have you always homeschooled your DD?

I researched doing it for my son.... but decided that it would be in HIS best interest to go to school. Have to run and read him books... will try and expand my thoughts later...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:56 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!itsbelong has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Goodness, no... get them out of my house! J/k I am not cut out to teach I thought about teaching as a career after college but decided against it really quick. I'm amazed at anyone who teaches.

Brigette
Old 08-10-2006, 03:59 PM

2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!2pocketpaks has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaSLP
have you always homeschooled your DD?

I researched doing it for my son.... but decided that it would be in HIS best interest to go to school. Have to run and read him books... will try and expand my thoughts later...
it's easier than you think.

we started when she was in 4th grade and have never regretted it.

she is involved in so much more now than she was "allowed" (timewise) in a regular school.

band, sports, music lessons, 4h, bowling leagues, soccer leagues, swimming team, cheerleading, state fairs, field trips, etc.

she's been to three homeschool "proms" so far... several dances and a couple "weekend trips" with various groups of other homeschoolers.

The freedom is awesome to just go when you want to go or when you need to go.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:32 PM

loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!LyndaSLP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2pocketpaks
it's easier than you think.
I don't doubt that. Although the idea of planning/teaching looked overwhelming at first, I went to a couple local 'open houses' with the local homeschool group and talked to tons of parents who actually homeschool and all that information made me realize that it was doable.

And I know I could do it.

"homeschooling" is how I have raised him -- I don't know if that makes much sense... but having been a pediatric speech therapist for 7+ yrs before he was born (and the last 3 of those years doing home health), I have done a lot of "using the moment/child's interest/current activity on hand to teach/do therapy/interact with children. I pretty much opened a few 'how to homeschool' books and realized, "Hey... this is how I've been raising my child...very follow the child's interest ... using teachable moments throughout the day to help him learn and grow."

Quote:
we started when she was in 4th grade and have never regretted it.

she is involved in so much more now than she was "allowed" (timewise) in a regular school.

band, sports, music lessons, 4h, bowling leagues, soccer leagues, swimming team, cheerleading, state fairs, field trips, etc.

she's been to three homeschool "proms" so far... several dances and a couple "weekend trips" with various groups of other homeschoolers.

The freedom is awesome to just go when you want to go or when you need to go.
I agree about the freedom. I love the idea of doing field trips and using every day experiences/places as your classroom.

That all said, he refuses to sit down and do anything that is blatant 'learning' with me. Now, if HE wants to do it -- then he will sit with me. If I initiate, he won't. And if I homeschooled him, he would never want to leave the house. He is a true homebody. He rather spend the day at home than go to the park. When he is with me (or his dad), he doesn't want to talk to anyone else. It may be shyness. It may be a game. But when I leave him, he becomes a different person -- yes, he is still slow to warm to new people; yes, he is still on the quiet side until he becomes comfortable; yes, it takes him longer than most to find that 'comfortable level'; yes, he is not blatantly and obviously leading the school kids around the room. But... he eventually comes out and socializes. If I am around, he does not. I know homeschoolers say that there is alot of socializing activities/groups for homeschooled kids.... but I truly think that at the moment my son needs to be IN school and away from home/me for the socialization.

And the last factor: I need to work. I don't need to work full time; but I do need to work. My principals have always been flexible about letting my son attend meetings with me, when the meetings fall after my work or the school day's hours. I just don't think they would smile upon him being with me my entire work day.

He attended a Montessori preschool last year -- and will be attending it for K this year. To be honest, it is a perfect structure for him. I am not shutting the door to homeschooling; just putting it on the shelf for right now.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:33 PM

loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
question: I know you work full time, so where does your DD go while you are at work? Or does your DH do most of the homeschooling?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:53 PM

she's home while we both work (he works 2nd shift, I work mid-shift). She does most of the stuff herself. I set it up for her and she runs with it.

in the last year or so, she has become more "independent study" than anything. I give her a list of the stuff that she needs to accomplish during the week and it is up to her when she wants to do them--some each day, all of it in 2 days, some on the weekends, etc.

Since we basically unschool, the one thing that is "standard" is Saxon math.

Now this year, she will have a schedule more, since she has Japanese 101 at the college on the East side of Detroit (boy that's a long drive!!), but then she chose to take Anatomy/Physiology through the college's online courses.

We researched various fields during her 8th grade year, and she decided that she wants to go into Pediatric Nursing as her career choice...so now for the next 4 years, we will concentrate on the subjects that will best help her to advance in college for this field.

If all goes well enough this semester for college, I will allow her to pursue more credits at the college so that will enable her to obtain her 2 year degree at the same time she graduates the 12th grade.

(my middle daughter did the same thing... so this past June, she received a 2 year degree in Science the day after she received her high school diploma. my middle daughter will be attending Univ. Toledo in the fall to pursue a medical degree as well.)

Basically what your son is doing is "unschooling".

I can understand the need for him to be in structured/formal schooling, I had not realized he was so young. Up until last year I was constantly home with our daughter...surviving on one income--now there's a bit more freedom since she is of "driving age"

Last edited by 2pocketpaks; 08-10-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:35 PM

loves free groceries!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Basically what your son is doing is "unschooling".
Thanks.. I knew I used to put a term to it -- but couldn't remember it.

Quite impressive that your DD got her assoc and high school diploma at the same time. Kudos to her! Kudos to you for helping her on that path.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:58 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
snappletease has posted more than 200 great deals!snappletease has posted more than 200 great deals!snappletease has posted more than 200 great deals!
I am thinking about taking my 14 year old son out of public school and home schooling him.
Is it possible to do or do you think we should leave him in school and take our chances he will be ok??
Or should I do a home school program added to the public school? Pleas give me your opinion
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 PM

is loving life!
Normal, every day member :)

My Mood/Status:
monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monica has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I considered home-schooling for a long time. Actually, just plain always thought I'd do it. But I found out that I don't have the patience for it! Although someone gave me an idea that I may still consider - they said to send them to school for the K through 1 or 2 and let the schools teach them to read, then homeschool them after that. They said it's much easier after that point. We'll see. I'm not shutting my mind to it, just need to get through having this baby and seeing how I can cope.
Old 01-29-2007, 01:03 PM

is ready for spring!!
Starving Writer/Student

My Mood/Status:
Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I went through 5th grade... My sister through 1st grade. From then on I was homeschooled and graduated at 16. I really dont see any negative side effects for myself being homeschooled. We unschooled for the most part. I like to believe I turned out to be a pretty normal person (except for this coupon fixation haha). I know 100% its not for everyone and you have to have a certain talent to school certain students, but it worked for me.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:13 PM

Coupon Addict

My Mood/Status:
camelotcrazy has posted more than 150 good deals!camelotcrazy has posted more than 150 good deals!
What is "unschooled" please?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mjloves2shop has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
This thread hasn't been responded to in over a year ~ but I believe what she means is it wasn't a "school" setting. Some homeschoolers will take a spare room and make it a classroom ~ but it can also be done more self-study with older students.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:24 PM

I'm off to see the wizard.....
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lhart24 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
more or less let the child learn at his/her pace in subjects they are interested in... They kind of set the pace etc that way they dont get bored...
Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 PM

kreposuc has posted more than 10 good deals
i homeschool my 14 year old for the first time.and it is hard.she is stubborn and very artistic....I am a math geek.....but she is learning ,and she is a lot more respectful,and less stressed.....i love it this way...so ,now ,i am planning to send her to my mom's in france for a couple of months,she will attend middle school over there for about a month....
next year she goes back to public school,high school!!!
it was planned like that,8th grade at home(she had her uniforms stolen form the gym,couldn;t get into any advanced classes ......she was just bored...and i am not even talking about fights were the police had to to take away a couple of girls in.....)
Old 03-14-2008, 06:17 AM

crazysauce has posted more than 5 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjloves2shop View Post
This thread hasn't been responded to in over a year ~ but I believe what she means is it wasn't a "school" setting. Some homeschoolers will take a spare room and make it a classroom ~ but it can also be done more self-study with older students.
I just joined AFC about 2 weeks ago and just noticed this section of the boards! I never realized that is what 'unschooled' means. I have been homeschooling for several years. It's tough, but I wouldn't have it any other way. What has made it tough for me is that I had NO help and NO advice when I started. I made soooo many mistakes, but have learned from them. It caused a couple of my children to have a negative start, but now I have learned so much that I have been able to catch them up in an amazingly short time period!!! I have no friends that homeschool, no family that is knowledged with it. And in years past I didn't really have the funds to throw around so it was a major struggle. I got really down and out. But, one day something just 'clicked' and I got a really clear view of what I was suppose to do, and how to do it in the best way for me and my children. Years wasted, but now right on track. I have used the internet as my guide, which has been very helpful. I love hearing people's homeschool stories/struggles/sucess stories... so I will be checking this thread regularly. Thanks all!
Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
kellymercedes has posted more than 5 good deals
i'm homeschooling our 6 year old and 4 year old. Things so far have been positive. I haven't been using a strict curriculum. Their still young!! A lot of people ask questions about why my kids aren't in school and i'm tired of all that already. i'm pretty set on homeschooling through middle school at least. We'll see how things work out. We are moving in a couple months and will be in Minnesota for the next school year. Their laws are a little stricter than Wisconsin.
Old 03-31-2008, 03:58 PM

My Mood/Status:
momwtude has posted more than 10 good deals
We have a 13 year old, 8, 2 & 1. We recently started an online school for the 8 y.o. but it really is similar to homeschooling minus all the hours of planning. I am responsible for teaching the curriculum they supply. It seemed like a godsend at first after researching everything and we just couldn't afford to buy a curriculum. Now, I really don't care for the curriculum they have provided (jumps around alot and isn't very in depth) and have decided to try it on my own next year. I just feel like we're so isolated sometimes- we aren't religious and don't do tons of activities outside the home. Thanks to all of the wonderful posts and the wonderful people here at AFC. You make me feel connected even when I'm not!
Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymercedes View Post
i'm homeschooling our 6 year old and 4 year old. Things so far have been positive. I haven't been using a strict curriculum. Their still young!! A lot of people ask questions about why my kids aren't in school and i'm tired of all that already. i'm pretty set on homeschooling through middle school at least. We'll see how things work out. We are moving in a couple months and will be in Minnesota for the next school year. Their laws are a little stricter than Wisconsin.
About people questioning you... don't worry about it. Homeschooling is legal in every state! Get a notebook or binder started and keep a running 'journal' of everything you are teaching them. I also noticed it helps to be 'proud' of the fact that you are homeschooling. You don't have to have a set curriculum but you do need to have a grade level scope & sequence, some kind of guideline so that you can know you are covering everything that your children are suppose to know. You can find everything you need online for free. I have found out, at least for me, that a set curriculum can be very useless. I get a bunch of things I can't use and not enough of things that I need. Each child is different. That is what is good about homeschool, it can meet each individuals needs. Unlike public school where all the children are taught at the same pace even if they already know the material being taught.
Old 04-03-2008, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momwtude View Post
We have a 13 year old, 8, 2 & 1. We recently started an online school for the 8 y.o. but it really is similar to homeschooling minus all the hours of planning. I am responsible for teaching the curriculum they supply. It seemed like a godsend at first after researching everything and we just couldn't afford to buy a curriculum. Now, I really don't care for the curriculum they have provided (jumps around alot and isn't very in depth) and have decided to try it on my own next year. I just feel like we're so isolated sometimes- we aren't religious and don't do tons of activities outside the home. Thanks to all of the wonderful posts and the wonderful people here at AFC. You make me feel connected even when I'm not!
I have to agree with the online curriculums, and any set curriculums. I have tried so many in the past and they led me nowhere. Like I mentioned above, you get a ton of things you can't use, and not enough of the things you need. I know the feeling about feeling isolated. But don't feel that way!~ There are so many people that homeschool out there, and many more that only wish they could homeschool but can't because of finances, work, etc. I don't do many activities outside the home either. This is mainly because there is NOTHING to do where I live. I hate it because when I was a kid, where I lived, there were at least museums, parks, and much more educational things to do. Here there is nothing. But, just try to do what you can. Go on 'nature walks'. Keep a journal. I often find really nice photos online of the things we are studying (example: Alaska) and I 'email' the photos and fun information to my child. They get a kick out of it. Do LOTS of hands-on activities (notebooks, lapbooks, projects, etc). This helps out a bunch when you can't get outside much. I am also learning that you can find EVERYTHING you need online and with a good printer. It makes me sick to think of the money I have spent in the past when it is all right there at my fingertips! I would love to start a website with the tons of info I have found... I just can't seem to find the time right now.
Closed Thread

Tags
homeschooling