Clinginess And Tantrum - 15 Month Old

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 06:06 PM
:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Clinginess and tantrum - 15 month old

I hope someone has some advice on this. My 15-month-old DD has been getting progressively clingy over the past 2 weeks. If I don't pick her up and carry her around or let her sit in my lap to play she has a complete crying meltdown tantrum. Drops herself to the floor in a crying puddle and just completely loses it. The worst part is that she doesn't slowly build up to this - it's just there. She only does it at home, not when we're out, so I guess I'm lucky there. I can't think of anything that has changed over the past two weeks and she's not sick. What should I do?

Today I tried telling her I can't play right now and distracting her w/a new toy hoping she'd play by herself for a few minutes. I also tried to just put her down and ignore the tantrum, but she never calmed down. Right then was when DH came home from work but she didn't even want to go to him. She still insisted on bringing toys to me and grabbing my legs. Eventually he was able to really get her interested in playing w/a different toy w/him.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 PM

RE: Clinginess and tantrum - 15 month old

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
arupe001 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!arupe001 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!arupe001 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!arupe001 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!arupe001 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!arupe001 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!arupe001 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I had this challenge when my daughter was that age. One thing that helped was putting her in her high chair if I was in the kitchen. I think being up higher and closer to me helped if I couldn't hold her. We also sang A LOT of songs during this time period. I found that if I was talking to her she seemed to forget that I wasn't holding her. I hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to arupe001 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2009, 06:43 PM

Lovin' the Auctions!!!

z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
This may sound silly, but whenever Z showed signs (as soon as we saw them) of getting that way, we told him he must be getting tired and put him down for a nap. TBS He always has slept through the night, so I never had to worry about how naps would impact bedtime. This strategy has worked very well for us so far (he turns 2 tom . They grow so fast.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:58 PM

Yep... there needs to be a PMS face! :)

My Mood/Status:
kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I wish I could tell you what helps but I can't. My son is 21 months and still does this occasionally(But I think it is more because I have an 8 month old DD!). I can't ever find anything that helps... and sometimes I get very frustrated... but sometimes all they want is there mommy... sometimes he just wants me to hold him and sometimes he just wants to scream. This afternoon I got him up from his nap and he SCREAMED for 20 minutes he didn't want me to talk to him or look at him or do anything... but my DH picked him up and he was fine.... (WHO KNOWS!!!!!!)

Maybe you could find time to spend with her every day and make it a time every day so she knows at that time she gets mommy no matter what. Ignore all phone calls and just spend time with her. I know that is easier said than done. But it might help her to know that she gets her mommy for a couple hours all to herself.

So don't worry your not alone it happens to all of us... or maybe just you and me! HAHA!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(13 months apart) and just trying to enjoy life (my crazy life)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I actually did it for 11 1/2 months! I am more than thrilled. Now she is 1... it is very sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to kallagreen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2009, 07:11 PM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks to everyone who's responded so far. Sometimes I can't wait for DD to start talking so she can just tell me what's wrong. She's an endless mystery, but I guess I'd be bored if she were predictable for more than a week at a time!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 PM

Fluent in Coupon

My Mood/Status:
jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Wish

If only they came with instructions!
Old 04-24-2009, 04:07 AM

My Mood/Status:
triciakay44 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!triciakay44 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!triciakay44 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!triciakay44 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!triciakay44 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!triciakay44 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!triciakay44 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I feel for you! My youngest DD just turned 2 and she started doing this same thing. One day she is this sweet, innocent little angel and the next she is throwing tantrums and thinks she is the boss! She talks quite well but refuses to use her words when she is upset like that - only says "hold you" or "no"! Now she usually only does this in the store....but I wish she would save it for home! I've had to walk out several times (oooh she doesn't like that either!) and I will continue until she gets the point that it's not okay to act that way in a public place. Hang in there! I'm sure it is just a phase and she will eventually grow out of it. Best wishes!
The Following User Says Thank You to triciakay44 For This Useful Post:

Tags
tantrum, toddler advice