While Your Child Is In School...

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2009, 09:01 AM
wants 2 save more this yr

My Mood/Status:
LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Facts While your child is in school...

do you know what he/she/they go through? Today on the Ellen show appeared a mom whos child took his own life due to bullying. Do You Know a Child Who is Bullied? - The Ellen DeGeneres Show
check it out. Bullies are as young as preschoolers so please read. My son is in the first grade and he is a victim of bullying. There are lots of kids who go through this everyday and if the school doesnt do anything to help our kids then its up to us the parents!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to LaLax2 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 PM

RE: While your child is in school...

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Fluent in Coupon

My Mood/Status:
jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
A few weeks back when our DS was just 3, a kid at his school made fun of his milk. (We take Soy Milk to nursery school and Michael drinks that because he's allergic to cow's milk.) Bullying at age 3??? We were very surprised.

I spoke to the teacher and she said that kid makes fun of everyone for everything. If someone cries, he calls them a baby, if someone goofs, he calls them stupid. He had to sit in their Time-Out chair for saying something mean.

Where do kids learn this? I guess from their parents. I feel sorry for the kid because he is probably treated poorly at home either by parents or older sibs.

I learned on Nanny 911 how to teach my children to speak kindly to each other and to us, and we really, really try to do so in our home.

We also tried a little role playing... I'm "Aiden" and I say something mean.... then I ask, "what could you say next Mikey?" so he has a plan or knows what to do, besides feeling bad.

I think I will let Michael take Chocolate Soy Milk to school next month and see what Aiden thinks about that!
Old 04-24-2009, 09:44 AM

My Mood/Status:
LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!LaLax2 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
sorry your 3 yo had to go thru that. the school my son goes to had a bully meeting and no one showed up i was the only one there. the sad part is that not a teacher not even the principal showed up i also think that its the parents. over here there are lots of parents that know their child is a bully but they just dont care.
The Following User Says Thank You to LaLax2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 09:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My dd(11) is " bullied "by a few kids she has come home crying so has her friend. The school does a little but there are teachers who don't do anything, my Dd teacher is one of these. She does go to other teachers when someone is bothering her, but also has learned how to defend herself. I am always giving her pep talks about herself and try to explain most kids bully to feel better about themselves. She gets bullied for having hair on her arms and legs, which is the stupidest thing in the world. I have told her she can shave her legs if she wants, but she doesn't, and I think it is sad that these kids are bothering other children for the way they look. I blame adults, because these children learn it from somewhere. I am sure 1/2 or more of the parents don't even know their kids do this and many don't care.
I have contacted her teacher various times, and the Social worker and it doesn't help. I am glad that she is my last child at school because I don't think I could go through this again.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:17 AM

**Super Mom**

My Mood/Status:
ShoppingInHEELS has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ShoppingInHEELS has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ShoppingInHEELS has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ShoppingInHEELS has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ShoppingInHEELS has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!ShoppingInHEELS has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
My oldest starts an preschool on Monday and I am worried about him. He went to day care for 4 months 3 kids in there would bully him. He is bigger than most kids his age but he will not defend himself. When I would pick him up and ask how his day was he would tell me they would hit him. I talked to the teacher and she didn't do much thats what made me take him out of daycare I only put him in daycare to be around kids but it was not worth it when he would come home sad everyday. My son is such a sweetheart he loves to "love" everyone when we go anywhere he is always so friendly. There was one time he was making smiling and making goofy faces to this lady in line and she insisted that she buy him the toy I had let him pick out for being a good boy. She said that his smile was what she needed after a bad day. That really touched my heart. He doesn't like to hit or hit back. He doesn't even fight with his little sister. I just hope he make some good friends at school.

“Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.” Dr.Seuss

Last edited by ShoppingInHEELS; 04-24-2009 at 10:19 AM. Reason: typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ShoppingInHEELS For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 10:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
my son is the same way hes in taekwondo so when he was attacked in school he didnt hit back hes been in taekwondo since he was 3 but i put him in it mainly for discipline i tried explaining to him that if he hits back its not fighting its self defense but he tells me its wrong to hit someone so i hope for the best
Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 AM

:-)
Supporting Member

sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!sar1 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I can't understand why you always hear about how teachers just turn a blind eye to bullying and teasing. I'm not a teacher, but I'm guessing maybe they get de-sensitized from hearing the same things day after day? Like maybe it doesn't seem as bad to them b/c it's so common? A relative who is a teacher said that it's their job to discipline students in their classes, but nearly everytime the bad kid's parents would raise heck about it afterward and refuse to believe their child caused any trouble. The principal would typically side w/the parents to make the whole thing go away and they were more or less discouraged from disciplining kids.

I think it's terrible the way some kids act and even kids whose parents don't raise them that way see "all the other kids doing it" and if you aren't siding w/the bully there's the chance you're going to be their next target. Sometimes I dread when DD is old enough to start school.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sar1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 10:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
i agree the principal at my sons school doesnt do a thing about the situation the farthest shes gone is putting up flyers on how bullying is wrong but those bullies never get suspended just sent home only to return the next day i never thought my son would be a target because he gets along with everyone and hes only in the 1st grade i cant imagine what its going to be like when he gets to middle school or even high school
Old 04-24-2009, 11:39 AM

Baby Dylan is here
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My DD start kindergarten soon and always wonder how thing will go
Old 04-24-2009, 11:42 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!targetaddict has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Just a note on the preschoolers who hit: my son is three and hits. He hits, he pushes and he bites. He is disciplined for this behavior yet he insists on continuing to hit and to bite. My daughter is 4 and, like most kids, tried hitting or biting a few times, was disciplined, and now she uses her words. I spoke to the ped about his behavior and was reassured that he is not abnormal or evil, and it's not bad parenting. His ped referred to the "law of the jungle" and animals fighting it out to determine their pecking order. It's our society who has determined to be civilized, so it's a matter of continued training, educating, and parenting in the situation. My son, too, is the most loving sweet little boy. We don't watch violent tv and he doesn't have violent toys. He loves Elmo and Larry Boy. He's not a bad kid or destined to be a bully. He's just in a pattern of misbehavior, which we are actively working on breaking. I am so grateful that we have close friends with small children who refuse to be judgmental of this phase in our son's life and support us as we parent him through this. I sincerely hope that most people would read this and realize that the 3 year old who hits isn't necessarily coming from a home of uncaring parents. He's just a 3 year who is trying what lots of 3 year olds try.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to targetaddict For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 11:56 AM

loving walgreens right now!

My Mood/Status:
kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Speaking from a teacher's point of view...we have a no bullying policy in our district. We have weekly class meetings, educational books, etc. We DO something about bullying.

However, the bullying must take place IN school for us to do something about it. Before school hours, after school hours, walking home, on the bus, etc. there's not much action we can take. After that, it is up to the parents to call the bus company, police, etc.

We also educate our students about tattling vs. telling. If someone will get hurt, it's telling.

A lot of the issue lies in parenting (I agree with you all above). Some students' parents just won't follow through at home. There is only so much we can do at school!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
who
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
my wonderful husband who makes me
everyday and takes care of me
and our two

Planning another major auction!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kategriffin18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 11:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
im not trying to say that kids who are bullies have uncaring parents i thank you for putting that up youre doing something to help your child stop some parents wont even acknowledge that their child is capable of such things i agree that some kids go through that phase and dont become bullies
Old 04-24-2009, 12:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kategriffin18 View Post
Speaking from a teacher's point of view...we have a no bullying policy in our district. We have weekly class meetings, educational books, etc. We DO something about bullying.

However, the bullying must take place IN school for us to do something about it. Before school hours, after school hours, walking home, on the bus, etc. there's not much action we can take. After that, it is up to the parents to call the bus company, police, etc.

We also educate our students about tattling vs. telling. If someone will get hurt, it's telling.

A lot of the issue lies in parenting (I agree with you all above). Some students' parents just won't follow through at home. There is only so much we can do at school!!!
thanks since were moving my son wont go to this school but ill make sure that the next school has meeting and stuff like that
Old 04-24-2009, 12:07 PM

loving walgreens right now!

My Mood/Status:
kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!kategriffin18 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
It's a little "cuddly" for third grade, but really important for them to talk safely, and share. Also, I allow the kids to talk WITH the person they have a problem with in the hallway (privately...not even with me). This saves a lot of talking behind people's backs and petty b-s-. It also teaches them to confront the problem using words and promotes positive communication.

who
my wonderful husband who makes me
everyday and takes care of me
and our two

Planning another major auction!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kategriffin18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 12:20 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Bully and the solution

When my son started middle school, he was coming home with scratches on his neck, arm, etc. He would have bruises where he'd been punched. We had contacted the teacher, so many times, it was ridiculous. We had also contacted the principal, who was also just pooh poohing everything. She even said, "well, boys will be boys, that's how they work things out!" We, as parents had raised him to not hit, never start a fight. Well, when my son came home with deep gouge mark on his neck (yes, he had blood all over his shirt) my husband was livid.
He told me that enough was enough! He took him down to the basement and taught him to defend himself. He made it quite clear he was NOT to throw the first punch, but he now had our permission to defend himself. It wasn't long before I got a call from the school saying he had gotten into a fight and we were required to meet with the principal. Well, we were looking foward to it. Our son looked scared to death when we arrived. I had already been informed from the other kids that he finally stood up to his bully. He didn't start the fight, and even tried to walk away twice. We all sat down in the office and my husband asked him what happened. The principal said his side was irrelevant, he was going to be suspended for fighting! My husband cut her off and said he wanted to hear his sons side.
When he said he tried twice to walk away, my husband nodded his head, squeezed his shoulder and told him he did just what he taught him to do. The principal was dumbfounded! That's when we told her we were fed up with our son being bullied and coming home with bruises. If they couldn't protect our son in school, then he had our permission to protect himself! Needless to say, the bully never bullied him again. Some of you may think our solution is totally wrong, but it was the only thing that worked.
Lynn
Old 04-24-2009, 12:28 PM

My Mood/Status:
my hubby told my son the same thing you dont throw the first punch but do defend yourself i think you guys did good the same thing happened to my bro when he was in high school some boy kept bullying him and my bro always walked away but one day he had enough he defended himself the sad and funny part was that the bully didnt expect my bro to fight back he got his butt kicked i was proud of my bro for doing that but the school had him arrested because he made the bully bleed
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LaLax2 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 12:35 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ltsims has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Wow, he got arrested for making the bully bleed! It's amazing that the one who finally has enough of being picked on gets a record! WTH???? At times you just have to wonder if the world is off kilter! You try to raise your child with values and empathy for others, and it just doesn't work. I hope your brother didn't get in trouble at home! LOL

Lynn
Old 04-24-2009, 12:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
leford has posted more than 200 great deals!leford has posted more than 200 great deals!leford has posted more than 200 great deals!
I agree with your solution. Some kids will not stop until you let them know that you will not accept the punishment anymore. My eldest son had the same problem in middle school. I told them never to hit first, always try to talk it out. If the person continues than he has the right to defend himself.

Many schools wait until they see something to act. A lot of times by the time they see something it is way toooooo late!

Leford
The Following User Says Thank You to leford For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 01:12 PM

My Mood/Status:
Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Maggiew has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I teach junior high, and it does happen often. The bullies are very good at concealing their behavior, and then reflecting it back on their victims, claiming that they did something to cause it.

Parents of bullies generally tend to think that it is normal. Not because they are bad parents-but because this is how their child normally behaves. It doesn't seem unusual to them. They need help understanding this has to be changed, and how to change it.

The bullies need help and guidance from the entire community on how to control their behavior. We can't just write them off-it will harm all of us in the end.

That being said, when it becomes physical, it is time to be very clear with the school. What is happening to your child at this age is assault. And if it isn't dealt with appropriately, it is time to press charges. Most principals are supportive, but the ones who aren't will definitely change their tune once they are facing bad press, an arrested student, and a possible restraining order on that student.

(Verbal bullying is just as harmful, but much more difficult to stop.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Maggiew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2009, 02:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltsims View Post
Wow, he got arrested for making the bully bleed! It's amazing that the one who finally has enough of being picked on gets a record! WTH???? At times you just have to wonder if the world is off kilter! You try to raise your child with values and empathy for others, and it just doesn't work. I hope your brother didn't get in trouble at home! LOL

Lynn
he didnt get in trouble at home because we all knew that the bully kept messing with him but he had to go to court the mother decided to press charges against him but the bully never stopped he knew where my bro worked so he tried to mess with him there we reported everything to the police so that way my bro wouldnt get in more trouble after a while it stopped
Old 04-28-2009, 05:38 AM

Stressed
I'm always searching for a deal or Laugh..lol!

My Mood/Status:
Atlcouponmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Atlcouponmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Atlcouponmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Atlcouponmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Atlcouponmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Atlcouponmama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Ok, Well this story hit home for me because I know the family of this boy featured on Ellen. It been really hard for them to deal with and the school system here SUCKS!
Our children in my area have to deal with bullying ALL THE TIME! It makes my heart break and I feel totally helpless for my children.

My family has also experience the same thing and My oldest daughter just told me yesterday that she also wanted to commit suicide often due to bullying and being teased all the time. Its so sad to see the kids suffer and we the parents need to pull together to make the school systems be accountable and making sure the kids are not being harmed. Short story, my Daughter hair is down her back and when she puts it up in a ponytail its still long and swinging everywhere..Well, 2 girls decided that there tired of seeing her ponytail so they cut it off while she was sitting on the bus. Do you know how she felt at that particular moment..I DO! The school just brushed it off and said girls will be girls and gave them in-school suspension. I'm very mad at this time and I want to turn my anger into something positive because how are we teaching the kids and we are doing it in a negative way by being angry at the admin. You have to stand up for your children..Right???
The Following User Says Thank You to Atlcouponmama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2009, 07:52 AM

My Mood/Status:
wow im sorry thats another thing they say the "mean girls" are just a phase but to do something as cruel as to cut your daughters hair thats just beyond and the only punishment is in school suspension *** that makes me mad and i dont know you im really sorry i also noticed your in ga and i have to agree with you the school system sucks they dont care theres is this kid in my sons class thats always picking on everyone and i just found out by my friend that next year itll be his 3rd time in the first grade what ever happened to taking those kids out and transferring them to another school im from ny and i seen bullies handled better!
Old 04-28-2009, 07:58 AM

Lovin' the Auctions!!!

z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
If you get a chance, read up on your states bullying laws. Most states have them now and if you know them and your rights, you can get the schools to do what is necessary. Hugs!! to all parents and children who are facing this.