How To Keep The Diaper On? & Potty Training Questions

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2009, 06:31 AM
is couponing again!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Question How to keep the diaper on? & Potty Training Questions

For a couple of weeks now my son has been taking his diaper off everytime I turn my back. This started with him lying down and saying, "change". It was cute at the time. Any ideas on how to keep it on? He seems to keep a pull-up on better, but then again he may just be taking it off and putting it back on without me knowing. I know it is kind of a good thing because he takes it off whenever he pees in it. That leads to the next question...potty training. We had our 2yr check-up last week and the dr said it was really too early to potty train him. My DS loves to sit on his potty chair without a diaper obviously (since I can't keep it on). I haven't been pressuring him to use it, but if he wants to it can't be too early right? When he pees in his diaper he tells me immediately, usually carrying the diaper and yelling pee-pee. How do I get him to pee in the potty? I'm not sure how to tell him what to do, or if he is just too young to understand. My oldest DS is 11yr old so it has been a long time since I potty trained and I can't remember anything. TIA
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
& mom to Hunter (13)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Jake (4)
The Following User Says Thank You to up2late2 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2009, 12:05 PM

RE: How to keep the diaper on? & Potty Training Questions

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

taunya1978 has posted more than 200 great deals!taunya1978 has posted more than 200 great deals!taunya1978 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I worked in day care in the toddler room for almost 10 years... we would potty tain at 1 1/2 if the child was ready and we never heard of it being "to early".

if he pees in it and takes it off it means he doesnt like to be wet. we would set them on the potty at the same time everyday for a few minutes and we use to just then put them in underwear. they learn real quick to use the bathroom.
The Following User Says Thank You to taunya1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2009, 06:24 PM

Fluent in Coupon

My Mood/Status:
jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!jbarber8 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think I would jump right on that opportunity. Get him new big boy underwear right away, and praise, praise praise.

We started and stopped several times with our first and it got harder each time. AT 2 1/2 when we finally saw it through, it was nightmarish (too far into the NO/Tantrum stage), but I knew he could do it, knew it was our mistakes holding him back, etc.

I never buy that 'he's not ready' angle. Was he ready to sit in the high chair, or did you just teach him to sit there? Was he ready for his car seat, or did you make that parental decision for him?

I'm already sitting my youngest on the potty to 'practice' and planning to train as soon as he's 2.

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2009, 06:30 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I am having this same "fight" with my DD dr right now. My DD is 22 months old and has gone peepee in the potty quite a few times but the dr says it is way too early. I think you just do it when you feel the child is ready. What does the dr know? LOL

My DD loves M&M's so when we say that she goes right over to the potty and goes peepee. It works for us!
The Following User Says Thank You to babyfordawn1983 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2009, 06:52 PM

Baby Dylan is here
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!wannasavemoney has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
really you have to do whats is best for your child, your dr may say it to early just because all kids are not the same. MY DD hated hated to use the potty she went pee a few times then had a BM and wanted nothing to do with a toliet for a long time. she was almost 3 1/2 before all was said and done. Now my Ds loves to use the bathroom, pee bm whatever. He will be 3 in may and he wear underwear all day and most nights too. so each kids is different. Take him out and get him some cool big boy underwear and time your he will get it
Old 03-30-2009, 06:58 PM

The early bird catches the worm!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!FreebieMama has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My DS - 23 months - loves to sit on the toilet every night before bath! For a couple months, he wouldn't do anything, just sit there, then wipe himself and flush. One night he actually peed in the toilet and since then, he goes pee in the toilet every night before bath. I'm going to start sitting him on the toilet when he first gets up in the morning.

FreebieMama believes in reading
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FreebieMama For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2009, 01:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Funny you started this thread, as DS just turned 2 and we are trying to potty train. It does sound like he is ready and is noticing that he is wet, which is great.

We had to decide whether to use the big potty or the small potty chairs. We found out that DS does not like the small pottys and wants to use the big potty like mom and dad. I got him a cool Cars potty seat that fits over the big toilet.
I have been trying to take him frequently, which is hard, he goes pee pee so often. I give him a grahm goldfish (new!) when he has success. Today I got him to go #2, I was so excited! My biggest problem is keeping him on the potty. He doesn't really like to sit and stay there. I gave him several goldfish for trying to produce a BM. It kept him on there long enough to go #2.
Good luck and sorry to hijak!

Brooke
The Following User Says Thank You to BStroh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2009, 04:19 PM

is couponing again!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!up2late2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
As long as your offering advice or experience it is not a hijack. I will take anything at this point. Thankfully, he loves his potty chair. I should have mentioned that he had the diaper off the other day and pee'd in the floor. You should have seen the look on his face. It was like he didn't realize what happened down there. I told him he needs to make the water go in the potty. So we have spent a few days with him saying "Water, Potty". He at least seems to understand what he is supposed to do a little better. Thanks for all the responses.
& mom to Hunter (13)
and Jake (4)
The Following User Says Thank You to up2late2 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2009, 04:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
There's no set age at when you should potty train. Go with your instinct. You know your child best and you will know when he is ready. I've been letting my son use the toilet to do his BM since he was 1 yr old. He just like to poo in the toilet. Now as for peeing, it's a whole different issue. I think you should train him early so he knows what the toilet is for. Then, wean him off the diaper when he understands you and the whole concept of going without a diaper.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helenpooh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2009, 07:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Today we had a great day, DS actually went #2 on the potty 3 times today! I was so excited! I just had to share.
It helped me to give him incentives to keep him occupied to actually stay on the potty. I tried reading to him, putting his small potty (which he hates- we use the big one) in front of the TV. So I tried, food. I would give him goldfish while on the potty as an incentive to try pushing. Every time he tried and pushed, he got a goldfish. I couldn't believe that he went #2 3 times today. I was so proud.
I felt a little guilty about bribing him with food, but I ran out of ideas. I figure it won't last forever. I mean, I won't be giving him treats to go #2 when he's 4 I guess!

Brooke
The Following User Says Thank You to BStroh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2009, 07:53 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!bellsandbabies has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I want in on this one!!!!

My DS is turning 3 in 2 weeks and HATES the potty! Its driving me crazy because he is not moving forward at all. He is going to be starting Pre-school in the fall and I have to have him trained by then.

We did start when he turned 2 and we were making progress but he started to regress. I also went through the phase where he was taking his diaper off all the time. I was able to deter that for a little while by putting it on backwards. However, he did eventually figure that one out too. He grew out of it though. Just stopped on his own.

Can't wait to hear some more great tips!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bellsandbabies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2009, 06:10 PM

is couponing again!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
I hadn't even thought about putting it on backwards. I think I will have to try that in the morning. Today I tried to set him on his potty every half hour or so, nothing so far, but we didn't started until this afternoon. I really think if I could get him to pee in it he would find it hilarious and want to do it more. That is just the kind of kid he is.
& mom to Hunter (13)
and Jake (4)
Old 04-03-2009, 06:22 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hcsig has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
THank you for this thread, it helps me feel better! My DD is 22 months and LOVES to sit on the potty. She will sit on there 5-6 times a day if I let her and will easily sit there for 5-6 minutes but nothing has happened yet. I try to encourage and not put up any type of fight when she asks to sit on the potty although it is hard since she has been doing this for months and has yet to do anything in the potty.

She will be 2 in May and we have a big trip to Ohio (14 hour drive) planned for June so I think after both of those major events we are going to jump into the potty training stage before the NO/Tantrum stages get too bad. Good luck!!
,a 2 year old
and baby girl
Old 04-09-2009, 02:18 PM

is spending way too much time in the Arcade!

My Mood/Status:
chipmunk has posted more than 300 great deals!chipmunk has posted more than 300 great deals!chipmunk has posted more than 300 great deals!chipmunk has posted more than 300 great deals!
I think under a certain age, it's too early to *force* it but if they are interested, there's no reason to wait! Go for it!
Tracy (36) DH (42) DD#1 (7) DD#2 (5) DDog (9)
The Following User Says Thank You to chipmunk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2009, 05:00 PM

is couponing again!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
He is now peeing in his potty some of time. After the first time he decided that it was pretty fun, I think it is the sound mainly. Hopefully we are on the right track.
& mom to Hunter (13)
and Jake (4)
Old 04-12-2009, 06:28 PM

is spending way too much time in the Arcade!

My Mood/Status:
chipmunk has posted more than 300 great deals!chipmunk has posted more than 300 great deals!chipmunk has posted more than 300 great deals!chipmunk has posted more than 300 great deals!
I have girls, so have not tried this, but if he will pee standing up, my friends say their boys like aiming at Cheerios.
Tracy (36) DH (42) DD#1 (7) DD#2 (5) DDog (9)