Any Advice From Mothers That Use Cloth Diapers?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 03:30 PM
ISO of expired RR's

My Mood/Status:
anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!anfivea has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Help Sign Any advice from Mothers that use cloth diapers?

I currently have a one year old and am pregnant. I used cloth diapers with little beetle wool diaper covers on my son the first three months, then I had to return to work full-time, 10-12 hours a day and just couldn't continue.

I know it is so much better for the baby as well as your budget, with my #2 on the way and trying figure out a way to not return to work after #2 comes I would like to give it another try.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Hurry the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
has been reset!
The Following User Says Thank You to anfivea For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2009, 06:29 PM

RE: Any advice from Mothers that use cloth diapers?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Offline until July - ahhh family vacation!

My Mood/Status:
thehiggi has posted more than 300 great deals!thehiggi has posted more than 300 great deals!thehiggi has posted more than 300 great deals!thehiggi has posted more than 300 great deals!
Keen Bambino is going out of business and has a few things left (keenbambino.com) like Tiny Tush contours for $3.50 ea. I like kellyscloset.com where I have bought many pocket diapers, and they haev been pretty reasonable (I've been using one sized, and although they were a tiny bit big at first, they fit great now (on both my 4 mo old and occassionally my 2 1/2 y.o.). I like Happy Heiny's, but many people I've talked to like BumGenius pockets for one size. I like the one sized because they last a long time without buying each size. If you have a super small kiddo, they might fit weird at first and some people like prefolds for this purpose... HTH
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thehiggi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2009, 05:10 PM

loving cloth diaper nation!

zukeypur has posted more than 50 good deals
I like GADs and BumGenius for pockets, but I used fitteds and fleece/wool most of the time. I like SOS fitteds and Muttaqin Baby. I didn't start using cloth until DD was 15mo though, so no advice on newborns. I used them for 15 months until DD was potty trained, and I loved it! I will definitely do it again for the next one. I am about to sell of my stash though since I'm not pregnant yet. I've also heard My Precious Baby By April fitteds are good too, but since I haven't bought new dipes in so long I'm kind of out of the loop. There are a couple of good forums though, pm if interested. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention them on here or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to zukeypur For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2009, 09:08 AM

The princess is 1

My Mood/Status:
Lovin Savin has posted more than 300 great deals!Lovin Savin has posted more than 300 great deals!Lovin Savin has posted more than 300 great deals!Lovin Savin has posted more than 300 great deals!
I like pocket diapers the best, one size ones are even better especially if you have 2, or will have 2 in them at the same time. I really love the fit of Debs Diapers (Made By Mama) and she is wonderful to work with. I just had the cutest customs made for my new baby, she does awesome embroidery work. She can put on just about anything you like!

Have you been to the diaper jungle? (Cloth Diaper Resources, WAHM Directory, Reviews and Information) its full of information and links of all kinds Hope this helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lovin Savin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2009, 09:44 AM

My Mood/Status:
slow going has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!slow going has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!slow going has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!slow going has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!slow going has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!slow going has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!slow going has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!slow going has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!slow going has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I'm old, I used cloth diapers. we had just cloth diapers you folded. I don't know about buying the new ones like the other people. My suggestion is I would wash them and hang them out on a clothes line. whether it be summer or winter. The sun would help kill the amonia and make them look so white.
My neighbor said, gritting her teeth
As she cut up each credit card.
The Following User Says Thank You to slow going For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2009, 01:08 PM

My Mood/Status:
CoastieWife09 has posted more than 150 good deals!CoastieWife09 has posted more than 150 good deals!
We use CD's. Diaperswappers.com is a GREAT resource for diapering advice and they have a huge FS forum where you can get excellent deals on used CD's.

Personally, I preferred to buy them new. Afterall, I wouldn't wear used underwear, so why should my baby? (snotty, I know)

We use BumGenius 1 size and SnuggleBottoms (BabyBunz.com) fitteds with Thirsties covers. i started out using Prefolds with covers and I hated them. They were too bulky for my taste and the pocket dipes are so much easier, imo.

I use Crunchy Clean detergent (only available online on etsy and crunchyclean.com) for detergent. If I have stains, I sun them out.
The Following User Says Thank You to CoastieWife09 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2009, 01:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!zoeotis has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I've used cloth since my first was born 4 years ago. I use the Snap to Fit diapers. They look like disposibles but have a row of snap at the top. They claim to fit 8 - 30 lbs. I think they fit up to 35, but my oldest was slim. They even have a way to snap the front down for newborns (so they don't rub on the cord). Since I have boys, I bought the ones that came with an attached doubler, very useful for nighttime. I used Whisper Bummis diaper covers with them. Though at about 18 months of age I used Happy Heinys for nighttime. They absorbed better.
From a savings point, I spent under $600 total for diapers, doublers and covers, and I am still using the orginal 48 I bought for my oldest. They are getting worn, but I hope they hold out until my youngest is potty trained.
I agree with "slow going". Hang out your diapers as much as you can. Don't use anything but detergent on them. They will last longer. Also, I use a dry pail. Which is actually a diaper genie without a bag. It contains odors and a quick wipe with a clorox wipe after emptying keeps it clean.
I understand your want of saving money. It was one of the factors I used when deciding to use cloth. I didn't want to go back to work, and had to find ways to trim the budget.

Last edited by zoeotis; 02-18-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: misspell
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zoeotis For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2009, 01:32 PM

Needs to get to CVS already!
Yay! I can use expired grocery qs!!

My Mood/Status:
Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I'm not old and still use prefolds with a cover for around the house. I like Indian Prefolds with a Proraps cover. Economical and easy.

For out and about I have BumGenius AIO One Size, these are really easy, but I didn't want to spend a couple hundred bucks buying enough of them to use full time (What like 2 dozen?).

Congratulations on new baby!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momtoabunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2009, 03:35 PM

Offline until July - ahhh family vacation!

My Mood/Status:
thehiggi has posted more than 300 great deals!thehiggi has posted more than 300 great deals!thehiggi has posted more than 300 great deals!thehiggi has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieWife09 View Post
We use CD's. Diaperswappers.com is a GREAT resource for diapering advice and they have a huge FS forum where you can get excellent deals on used CD's.

Personally, I preferred to buy them new. Afterall, I wouldn't wear used underwear, so why should my baby? (snotty, I know)
I'm the same way about used dipes! That said, be CAREFUL on DS and only use paypal because I have heard sooo many horror stories about people getting scammed.. People either love it or hate it.
The Following User Says Thank You to thehiggi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 PM

has not been on in forever.. checkin' the deals.
I'm new to this :)

My Mood/Status:
usmcwife05 has posted more than 10 good deals
I'm a diaperswapper fan. Very informative and helpful!
I use a mixture of chinese unbleached prefolds with covers and pockets. I have a bunch of Fuzzibunz and some BumGenius. BumGenius are my favorite pockets, I LOVE that the one size dipes!
I totally prefer my prefolds though. They are super cheap and once you learn how to fold them, they are super simple. (I learned to fold via YouTube... totally not lying! haha) My favorite fold is the Diva fold, although I have a son who has a very manly man father, so we call it the "GQ" fold.
My favorite covers were actually made for me by my friend, they are fleece. She made me a pair of fleece longies as well, and they are awesome for days where we just chill around the house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to usmcwife05 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2009, 10:17 AM

loving cloth diaper nation!

zukeypur has posted more than 50 good deals
I stay away from DS because of all of the people catching viruses on their computers. There is another forum called clothdiapernation that is virus/sensorship free. It's really starting to pick up, and they have a FSOT board too. I'm actually about to list my whole stash on there.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zukeypur For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2009, 07:35 PM

What to do?

My Mood/Status:
sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!
We are expecting to get(adopting) a baby boy soon and we are planning on putting him in cloth diapers but I need to know if I can use the homemade laundry soap to wash them in? I make the one that Mrs. Duggar uses and can't find anything about it Still trying to get use to this new design With our first one we used pampers since he was 2 when we got him, so this is all new to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sandalz4life For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2009, 12:46 PM

My Mood/Status:
mrsaprilmay has posted more than 100 good deals!mrsaprilmay has posted more than 100 good deals!
I love prefolds for the early days. They are super cheap and can be used to stuff pockets or as doublers when the baby gets older.

I made a lot of my own fitteds from t-shirts and fleece. It's also a great way to use up old baby blankets. You can find lots of good free patterns here.

I use wool covers. As far as I'm concerned, wool covers are basically like clothes. You can make them from used wool sweaters. I think they have to be at least 70% wool, but 100% is best. I hand sewed my first few but now they sew up in no time on the machine. Here is a link with lots of great patterns. You do have to hand wash them, but wool wash is pretty affordable or you can use baby shampoo and Lansinoh.

Also, keep an eye on the Precious Dignity Outlet Store. You can find some great deals on retired diaper service diapers and seconds.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsaprilmay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2009, 01:03 PM

Lovin' the Auctions!!!

z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!z'smom has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I love AIO's and one size ones are my fave. Stay away from velcro if you can. They do not hold up as well and do not adjust as well as snaps (imo). We love our Mommy'stouch AIO one-size snap diapers best and are now using them on number 2.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to z'smom For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2009, 07:37 PM

Needs to get to CVS already!
Yay! I can use expired grocery qs!!

My Mood/Status:
Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalz4life View Post
We are expecting to get(adopting) a baby boy soon and we are planning on putting him in cloth diapers but I need to know if I can use the homemade laundry soap to wash them in? I make the one that Mrs. Duggar uses and can't find anything about it Still trying to get use to this new design With our first one we used pampers since he was 2 when we got him, so this is all new to me.
I know several cd moms that use that very recipe for their laundry soap and have good results with their diapers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momtoabunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2009, 07:09 PM

What to do?

My Mood/Status:
sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!sandalz4life has posted more than 400 great deals!
Thank you!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sandalz4life For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2009, 11:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
CDmama has posted more than 100 good deals!CDmama has posted more than 100 good deals!
I use the Bum Genius One size diapers and have been extremely happy with them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CDmama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2009, 06:13 PM

amcess721 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amcess721 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amcess721 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amcess721 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amcess721 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!amcess721 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zukeypur View Post
I stay away from DS because of all of the people catching viruses on their computers. There is another forum called clothdiapernation that is virus/sensorship free. It's really starting to pick up, and they have a FSOT board too. I'm actually about to list my whole stash on there.

Yeah, That!

Before the virus stuff - I was addicted there...now I'm addicted here

Most of my stash is from DS FSOT forums... mostly fuzzibunz.

I found pockets were a super easy way for me to be able to easily show daycare how to change the dipes - they were all stuffed and all they had to do was know what snap setting she was on. Totally easy. They just tuck them all into a wetbag throughout the day and I drop off new dipes and a new bag each day and take the dirties home to launder. I have a stash of 14 now and I wash every other night.
The Following User Says Thank You to amcess721 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2009, 10:41 PM

busted down on Bourbon Street

My Mood/Status:
PamperedHilary has posted more than 50 good deals
i use Bum Genius and you can get $10 off your first oder of $49 and free 2 day shipping if you use the coupon code HILA8298 . so 3 bum genius is usually 53.85 but instead you can pay just 14.63 each what a great deal.

after your first purchase you will get your own code to refer people to their site. i have gotten a few new customers use my code and have saved on alot of diapers.
The Following User Says Thank You to PamperedHilary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2009, 10:42 PM

busted down on Bourbon Street

My Mood/Status:
PamperedHilary has posted more than 50 good deals
thats at Diapers.com - Everything for Baby - Free Shipping, Great Service code HILA8298
The Following User Says Thank You to PamperedHilary For This Useful Post: