Is There Anyone Who Has Chosen NOT To Immunize Their Children?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 AM

RE: Is there anyone who has chosen NOT to immunize their children?

bought our first house thx to my frugal ways
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by queenbear View Post
Wow..I had no clue..I took both of my kids for there scheduled shots. At DD last 2 12 mths and 18 mnths they offered the 2 different types of vac. that I had never heard of. Dr. said they were new.. Those I refused and had to sign a form saying they were offered. I had never heard of, anything related to giving a child there scheduled shots having or doing damage to them..Thanks guys I'll have to look into this.
It is a great thing that you refused those new shots!! Good job Seriously, there was a time in my life that I thought __Great, another new shot, to protect! Now, though, I see that a new shot hasn't been as researched etc, as I would want it to be to be put in my child's body. Take for example the Gardisil....do they really know how this will affect reproductivity on these teenage girls in 15 years?? IMO it's not worth my children being guinea pigs.

Thanks op for being brave enough to start this discussion. It is a very debated, HOT, nasty (can be) topic, but sometimes it takes talking about things to open other peoples eyes to possiblilities. That's what happened to me. I never would've thought to question if it had not been for others raising their voices on other forums that I am on. So my children and myself (and my unvaxed nephew and SIL) thank those that aren't afraid to discuss controversy and stand up for their beliefs. I'm stepping down now (and going to CVS ).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dealjunkie For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 09:48 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealjunkie View Post
It is a great thing that you refused those new shots!! Good job Seriously, there was a time in my life that I thought __Great, another new shot, to protect! Now, though, I see that a new shot hasn't been as researched etc, as I would want it to be to be put in my child's body. Take for example the Gardisil....do they really know how this will affect reproductivity on these teenage girls in 15 years?? IMO it's not worth my children being guinea pigs.

Thanks op for being brave enough to start this discussion. It is a very debated, HOT, nasty (can be) topic, but sometimes it takes talking about things to open other peoples eyes to possiblilities. That's what happened to me. I never would've thought to question if it had not been for others raising their voices on other forums that I am on. So my children and myself (and my unvaxed nephew and SIL) thank those that aren't afraid to discuss controversy and stand up for their beliefs. I'm stepping down now (and going to CVS ).
Speaking of it being a nasty topic, funny story. A couple years ago I was getting adjusted and my chiropractor and I were discussing just this topic. Of course, at the time I had no intention on having children but he knows that I'm very anti-this & that (what do you expect, I was raised by hippies). Completely unrelated topic, he looks just like Will Ferrell, I mean, almost like his twin brother it's weird.

Anyway, he was telling me how babies need adjustments right after they're born (whole other topic) and somehow he got off on how neither of his kids had ever been vaccinated.
His clinic is made up of little cubicles in one open area and the sweetest looking Japanese woman peeks her head around the corner and timidly asked him what he just said. He repeats and and she GOES OFF! She was literally screaming at him how a child abuser would never get her business again and how she was going to call Social Services. She grabs her purse and storms out of there.

I was flabergasted. I turned, wide-eyed, back to him and he just kind chuckled and shrugged. I just said, "wow!" and he said, "Yeah, I get a lot of that."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PM me if you'd like a copy of Pure Romance products I have left FSOT!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MeAndPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 AM

is now teaching Coupon Classes every Thursday!
Small change adds up!

My Mood/Status:
The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!The $mall Change has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
We immunized both of our boys - until oldest DS was 3 nearly 4, that is. Shortly after he got his 3 yo immunizations, his behaviors dramatically changed. He was diagnosed at 4 with Sensory Processing Disorder, and at 6 he was diagnosed ASD-AS (Autism Spectrum Disorder; Asperger's Syndrome).

We've not vaccinated since. We have had his titers tested and he tested well above normal. Doc says his immune system is "very robust".

Our boys go to public school and we have a Religious Exemption on file in the Nurse's Office.

I'm not Pro or Con either way. It is a personal choice and I respect everyone's choices - no matter what the subject matter, I just wish that everyone did. You know, "judge ye not..."

I teach Coupon Classes where I teach people about AFC!!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to The $mall Change For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 11:11 AM

:)
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Ashley_EMCBTS has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndPhoenix View Post
Okay, I must know what this colostrum supplement is!
Just like the colostrum in your milk is good for your baby it will continue to help them through childhood. It can strengthen their immune system, reduce allergic reaction, & can improve concentration. Here's a short article about colostrun benefits: Colostrum Benefits

And here's where I buy it from: Cheewable Colostrum for Children 400 mg (120 chewable tablets) by Symbiotics
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ashley_EMCBTS For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 11:38 AM

My Mood/Status:
MellowMama has posted more than 100 good deals!MellowMama has posted more than 100 good deals!
I take sort of a middle-of-the-road approach to the whole vaccination issue. Everyone wants to do what's best for their children, and I absolutely agree. But I also believe that it is our obligation as parents to be as educated as possible when we make those decisions. There are so many resources out there that are (more or less) unbiased that can help you weigh the pros and cons. This is such a hot topic and there's a lot of information floating around, but some of it is really inaccurate so it's important to check the source.

My kids have had some of their shots, but not all that were offered. I also spaced them out. I agree that sometimes kids get WAY too many shots all at once and that makes me nervous. I'm also holding off on Gardasil, I'm not comfortable with that one. There's no way I would take the chance with not getting some of the other vaccines, though. A lot of people in my age group aren't old enough to remember what it was like before kids were routinely vaccinated. We all know someone who had chicken pox, or measles, or whatever and had no problems except a little discomfort. That's not always the case though, those same diseases can kill a child. We don't see very much of it because so many people have some level of immunity. Of course, if fewer people have immunity then more people will get sick with these diseases, and not only the unvaccinated kids. It will also affect people out there with immune disorders, and babies too young for shots, and older people whose vaccines have lost effectiveness, and people having chemo, and so on.

I was recently talking about this with someone and she said she didn't have her kids immunized against polio because it wasn't around anymore, and people don't get it nowadays. Polio is alive and well in other parts of the world, and someone could take a trip abroad and bring it back to your doorstep. Some countries use polio vaccines that can cause the disease- not in the United States, but people travel. I'm not going to keep on forever but there are a whole lot of ways to be exposed to the polio virus and most people with it don't have symptoms. This lady's children could live their lives without ever getting sick, but I think she should be aware of the possible consequences of her decision. All decisions should be informed decisions!

I'd better get down before I get a nosebleed, !
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

And now a surprise baby brother!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MellowMama For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 01:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!MeAndPhoenix has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley_EMCBTS View Post
Just like the colostrum in your milk is good for your baby it will continue to help them through childhood. It can strengthen their immune system, reduce allergic reaction, & can improve concentration. Here's a short article about colostrun benefits: Colostrum Benefits

And here's where I buy it from: Cheewable Colostrum for Children 400 mg (120 chewable tablets) by Symbiotics
Okay I am all over this! Looks like I've got a new topic to research. And anti-aging properties too....hmmmm....I think mommy might want some of this too!

MellowMama, I appreciate your concern but trust me when I say that I've heard the argument you just made a lot in the past 6 or so months. I would never take a decision involving the health of my son lightly and have educated myself more on this subject (both sides) than about 100+ average American parents combined do before making their decision. (Considering some don't even read the release forms they are signing.)

There is definitely more on the con-side of this issue than "these diseases aren't around anymore" I assure you. Hard cold facts show mortality rates related to the diseases these vaccines are protecting against compared to deaths caused by the vaccines themselves. Oh the irony!

I have tried to take all the precautions I can while I make my decision. My husband and I had all of our vaccinations updated.

I am impressed that you obviously aren't just letting doctors shoot whatever they want into your children without using a little common sense. Bravo.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MeAndPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 01:51 PM

Needs to get to CVS already!
Yay! I can use expired grocery qs!!

My Mood/Status:
Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
No vaccinations here. With our oldest child we were on time, every time. As I learned more about what they were actually given I got more and more choosy and then with my 5th child, I stopped altogether.

You seem like you have educated yourself and are making a decision you are comfortable with. You will get grief for it, no doubt, but if you're not getting grief for that, it will be something else anyway. ((shrug)) Ask me how I know.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Momtoabunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 04:23 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dealjunkie has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Speaking of it being a nasty topic, funny story. A couple years ago I was getting adjusted and my chiropractor and I were discussing just this topic. Of course, at the time I had no intention on having children but he knows that I'm very anti-this & that (what do you expect, I was raised by hippies). Completely unrelated topic, he looks just like Will Ferrell, I mean, almost like his twin brother it's weird.

Anyway, he was telling me how babies need adjustments right after they're born (whole other topic) and somehow he got off on how neither of his kids had ever been vaccinated.
His clinic is made up of little cubicles in one open area and the sweetest looking Japanese woman peeks her head around the corner and timidly asked him what he just said. He repeats and and she GOES OFF! She was literally screaming at him how a child abuser would never get her business again and how she was going to call Social Services. She grabs her purse and storms out of there.

I was flabergasted. I turned, wide-eyed, back to him and he just kind chuckled and shrugged. I just said, "wow!" and he said, "Yeah, I get a lot of that."

Just wanted to say that I do take my kids to be adjusted!! And my chiro has 6 kids that are not vaccinated. I think it is the norm for chiropractors to not vax. They believe that the body can take care of and support itself, etc. Off topic a little bit, but he can probably be one of your greatest allies...so use him!!

Ask him thing...I asked mine how they were treated at local hospitals, etc. This really bothers me, cause I have heard horrow stories of them insisting on TONS of tests (spinal taps, etc), all for slight symptons--but because they were not vaccinated (no one around here). So i wanted to know how I would be treated at our local hospital. I also asked him quite a few other things, just can't think of them now .
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dealjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 04:33 PM

exhausted..I want a nap

My Mood/Status:
susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneblessedmommy View Post
I had my children vaccinated so I can not speak for not doing it. But I will say that I think they do give to many in one day. So with my second dd I had them spread the vacs out so she would only get 1 or 2 at a time. So if you do decide to do it you could have them spread it out. I know here in my area they are very anal about vacs being done before entering school and if your child does not have all there shots they can not come to school until they are done. They thought my child didn't have one of the vacs and sent me a letter home stating that but it turned out that my dd had the shot. One of the many reasons I am thinking about homeschooling the sickness in the schools are getting worse. I know my daughter can not be in a bubble but how can you really clean a room with 23 kids in it or a bus. Same with the vacs your child will never be fully protected.
OMGosh..yes they do just give WAY too many at one time. When DD was just a baby I had her immunized. They gave her one in each arm and in each leg. DH left crying from the dr. office..and so did I.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to susanchristlieb2002 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 09:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BStroh has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
When DS was born (he's 21 months now), I did all the vaccines at 2 and 4 months because I did what I thought you were supposed to do. He did fine with them.
When he was 5 months I happened to see Jenny McCarthy on the Oprah show. It scared me. I had no idea that vaccines could be harmful. I'm so grateful for seeing that show, I don't regulary watch Oprah, so I could have easily missed it. After that show I did a lot of research about what to do. Since them I have only given the DTaP and the PCV vaccine (separately). I am scared to death about giving the live virus vaccines, the MMR and Pox. In 2008, he has only received one single vaccine- the DTaP, given once in June. I think we are done for now. DS has a slight language delay and I fear that more vaccines, would do him harm. I plan to claim religious exemption for school.
I have read some great books on the subject:
The Vaccine Book, by Dr. Sears

I just checked out and started reading Warrior Mothers by Jenny McCarthy. It is about her son with autism, and of course, vaccines. I love Jenny and think that she is doing a great job about getting the word out about how harmful vaccines can be. It is funny that you started this thread because I've just been reading the book and thinking about vaccines again.

I've recently decided not to think about vaccines much anymore. Now that I've decided not to vaccinate anymore, it feels like a weight has been lifted. No more angonizing over the decision to vaccinate or not to vaccinate.

I think it is great that more and more parents are deciding not to vaccinate. Our country needs to rethink the entire vaccination program to make it safer. I don't think that will happen anytime soon, but the more mothers who stand up against vaccines the better. The government needs to know that they are harmful and destroying our little ones bodies.

Thanks OP!

By the way, after I was done nursing, we used the Parents Choice Organic formula too. Loved it!!!

Brooke

Last edited by BStroh; 12-18-2008 at 09:37 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to BStroh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 10:17 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
slpjlc has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!slpjlc has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!slpjlc has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!slpjlc has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!slpjlc has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!slpjlc has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
both my chilren are upt date with shots. I am afraid of risk involved wish they would tell parents before the vacinate there children. Itshoul be a law, I thought kids that went to shool had to get them they should tell you they dont. Iknow more then I did before I got them vacinated. Its not right tey keep adding shots to it. I heard hty are trying to get it approved for all kids to get a flu shot. Thats not right, some people get sicker from it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slpjlc For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 11:07 PM

in love with my snuggle baby born 5/11/11
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!ala119 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My DS is partially vaccinated. I used to work for a chiropractor so I'm a little educated by attending seminars. But let me add that DS is almost 32 months. His last shot was at his 18 month check up. MDs/Peds do give a ton of pressure to vaccinate. I am outraged that the HepB shot is generally given within the first 24 hours of life! I absolutely opposed this one. This vaccine was created for intravenous drug users and sexually premiscuous ppl. I am 100% certain that my newborn +/- 24 hours old is not a IV drug user or sexually active. No HepB for me or my son!
My DS was adjusted within the first week of his life! and continued to be adjusted monthly until he was 15 months old. Now I take him periodically due to finances. He has not had any serious illnesses and in fact is a pretty healthy kid. No ear infections... hmmm probably because I'm not pumping him full of foreign things like unnecessary vaccines, tylenol for a slight fever, cough syrup, etc.
As a comparison, my sister has 6 yr old twin boys. They have had every vaccine imaginable because my sister is an undiagnosed hypochondriac. Every time one of the boys gets a temp of 99 they are immediately given a dose of tylenol and rushed to the ER. I get so frustrated & angry with her decisions/actions. Now when we talk and she says one or both of the boys are sick or had to go to the Dr. I respond "what now" or "what this time." Maybe she should also think about improving overall health with diet and exercise. Yes, she's very overweight but also unmotivated to exercise and eat healthy. They eat out at least 3 nights/week (McDonalds, BurgerKing, pizza, etc) Sorry I the thread here. I get worked up about this topic. to all of you who are standing up for what you believe in!
Mommy and "better half" of Craig

If my post has helped you, please click the THANKS button
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ala119 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2008, 11:51 PM

CouponGamer

My Mood/Status:
CrunchyEarthMommy has posted more than 100 good deals!CrunchyEarthMommy has posted more than 100 good deals!
On the issue of vaccines, I have to go slightly OT here, and bring in the issue of genetically modified foods...especially as many of them in testing phases have been genetically modified to "be" the vaccine. There is a great deal of trial occurring on this subject, the idea behind it being that it could be more cost effective and it would ensure a greater number of the world population are vaccinated. Of course, there is no caveat for people like my child whom have suffered a severe reaction. Do a search on Biotech Vaccines, Edible Vaccines and Food Vaccines. Every other issue aside, our food crops simply should not be modified. Period.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CrunchyEarthMommy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2008, 12:10 AM

It's hot!!!!

My Mood/Status:
tiegarlillie has posted more than 100 good deals!tiegarlillie has posted more than 100 good deals!
I will say, i was pretty blind in the beggining allowing my son to have all of his shots untill he was six months. Around then I adopted a different immunization schedule so I WOULD NOT overwhelm his immune system. I wish I would have started it from birth!!!!!!He is two now and still has not had MMR or finished his Hep B. He will not get his hep A due at the next visit, i just don't see the logic in it. We give so many shots to our kids, a few extra pokes to split them up is not going to kill them. Believe me, I work in the pediatric intensive care unit, I have seen kids sick because they had none and kids questionably sick from them.... who know what is right. Do what makes you feel safe is what I tell myself.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tiegarlillie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2008, 12:35 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyEarthMommy View Post
On the issue of vaccines, I have to go slightly OT here, and bring in the issue of genetically modified foods...especially as many of them in testing phases have been genetically modified to "be" the vaccine. There is a great deal of trial occurring on this subject, the idea behind it being that it could be more cost effective and it would ensure a greater number of the world population are vaccinated. Of course, there is no caveat for people like my child whom have suffered a severe reaction. Do a search on Biotech Vaccines, Edible Vaccines and Food Vaccines. Every other issue aside, our food crops simply should not be modified. Period.
OMG! Don't even get me started!
It sickens me what the FDA will pass for food and allow us to put in our bodies but make other, natural, things illegal (I won't go there). I wish that I could afford to eat 100% organic but honestly, I just can't. So I try to choose the things that are most important (like the top 10 toxic fruits/veggies) and, of course, most all of our meat, eggs, and I won't touch anything but organic milk that has been cold pasturized.
I grow a lot in my back yard too and shop at local farmers markets which aren't organic usually but aren't as bad and are at least picked ripe instead of premature to make the trip across the country. We distill our own water and we just started composting just our organic products so I can reuse the soil in my garden. I'm already studying about how to make my son's own food when he starts on solids and I have toyed with the idea of making my own formula too but in order to do it right, it's superexpensive. Unless if I decide to get a goat for the milk, which I've actually considered cause it could "cut" our grass for us too.
Oh wow, girl, you know all my hot spots!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MeAndPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2008, 12:56 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!paradisemommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
We followed the alternate vac schedule and we have chosen not to give certain vacs. It's taken quite a bit of work to find a ped. that would work with us but we finally found a more liberal doc who was not owned by the drug company. We don't do flu shots or chicken pox vacs. We did polio and that was it. Only because Hubby and I both saw cases of Polio in India and it was horrid. We do plan on taking our son's to India in the future so we want them vaccinated against that one. We wanted our son's to be older before they got the vac...they still have not gotten most of the others and probably won't ever.

Do we take crap for it...yes. I'm not surprised since the US population seems to be in love with OTC drugs . There is a drug for every thing...got a sniffle...her shove this up your nose. Got a cough...here suck some of this down. It amazes me how much people will take that they don't really need. We take a good old fashioned multi-vitamin and some herbal stuff if its really called for but for the most part we let our bodies heal themselves.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to paradisemommy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2008, 01:02 AM

My Mood/Status:
helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!helenpooh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Ty for this thread! Will start researching!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to helenpooh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2008, 05:44 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
OMG! Don't even get me started!
It sickens me what the FDA will pass for food and allow us to put in our bodies but make other, natural, things illegal (I won't go there). I wish that I could afford to eat 100% organic but honestly, I just can't. So I try to choose the things that are most important (like the top 10 toxic fruits/veggies) and, of course, most all of our meat, eggs, and I won't touch anything but organic milk that has been cold pasturized.
I grow a lot in my back yard too and shop at local farmers markets which aren't organic usually but aren't as bad and are at least picked ripe instead of premature to make the trip across the country. We distill our own water and we just started composting just our organic products so I can reuse the soil in my garden. I'm already studying about how to make my son's own food when he starts on solids and I have toyed with the idea of making my own formula too but in order to do it right, it's superexpensive. Unless if I decide to get a goat for the milk, which I've actually considered cause it could "cut" our grass for us too.
Oh wow, girl, you know all my hot spots!
You could be my best friend . I bet you visit alot of the sites that I do (tbw, ds) With this being a coupon board, I will add that I have been rocking Kroger lately on their organics. Thank goodness most ppl think it is a waste of money....that means more mgr specials for me TOTALLY OT...but what brand of milk do you drink? My kids (and me) didn't like Horizon...is it always like that? Or did I just get a bad batch? We like the private selection brand...and when I was at WF the other day, I saw a brand that was non homo, and was $2.99 for 1/2 gal (which isn't too bad, bc the other non homo was $4 something for 1/2 g --it was in a glass container...the cheaper was in a white carton). Anyways, the cashier said it was delish....but I was already in line, had a very tired baby, etc. But really want to try it next time.

It is a little of topic, but I think if you aren't going to vax, then you need to be feeding your body good foods (not even necessarily organic--just not all JUNK!!--sugar). Well, I feel this way even if you do vax...but you need to keep up a healthy immune system
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dealjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2008, 06:08 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by slpjlc View Post
both my chilren are upt date with shots. I am afraid of risk involved wish they would tell parents before the vacinate there children. Itshoul be a law, I thought kids that went to shool had to get them they should tell you they dont. Iknow more then I did before I got them vacinated. Its not right tey keep adding shots to it. I heard hty are trying to get it approved for all kids to get a flu shot. Thats not right, some people get sicker from it.
This will never happen, as most Dr's are in the pockets of the vaccine and drug makers. They *need you to get those shots. And in some of the Dr's defense...I really don't think they know any better. They were taught in school that you NEED these vaccines.

I agree with the pp that the Hep B is just ridiculous. And what you said is exactly what I tell others. My child will not be using drugs or having sex! I even told this to the ped. and asked her why this was necessary, and you know what she told me ??? "We have to catch them when they are young, because most prostitutes, teenagers, etc that ARE taking part in these activities will not come in to recieve the vax." ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME??? Uh....I think I will pass, thank you (She did agree that it wasn't necessary right now. woo hoo)

I will tell you that menigitis scares me to death...but they keep coming out with more and more menigitis shots...which just makes me ????? and they say right on the new commercial "this may not protect from menigitis". WTH??

The Hib is mostly for the 1st year, when babies are infants...so if you have delayed, and are still going to get shots after the first year, please look into if this is necessary

Ok, while I am on a roll ...chicken pox....dumb shot....I understand that some children/ppl can get sick with this and die....but that can also happen from a common cold, infection, etc. Now that have added a booster, cause they think immunity wears off (by the time they are 5??? wow...what about when they are 10??) Also, IMO this is just pushing CP to early adulthood, or later, when it is more dangerous to get them. It is my opinion that if you have no immunity by the time you are an adult, THEN maybe you should consider the vaccine.

Also, if you vax on a delayed schedule, there are less shots given overall. I don't know exactly how many...but just say if you start vaxes from age 2 mnths...you will recieve a total of 5 dtaps over the course(I could be off...I haven't seen a shot schedule in awhile), but if you start them at age 2, you will only need to get 2. I am pretty sure one of the reasons behind this is that when your baby is only 2 mnths old, they could still have immunity from the mother--so the vaxes given then may or may not "take". Same with the next set at 4 mnths. That is the reason behind so many of one shot, too. They are not sure when it "takes". IMO, why wouldn't you just wait until the mother's immunity definately wore off before even starting them?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dealjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2008, 07:03 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealjunkie View Post
You could be my best friend . I bet you visit alot of the sites that I do (tbw, ds) With this being a coupon board, I will add that I have been rocking Kroger lately on their organics. Thank goodness most ppl think it is a waste of money....that means more mgr specials for me TOTALLY OT...but what brand of milk do you drink? My kids (and me) didn't like Horizon...is it always like that? Or did I just get a bad batch? We like the private selection brand...and when I was at WF the other day, I saw a brand that was non homo, and was $2.99 for 1/2 gal (which isn't too bad, bc the other non homo was $4 something for 1/2 g --it was in a glass container...the cheaper was in a white carton). Anyways, the cashier said it was delish....but I was already in line, had a very tired baby, etc. But really want to try it next time.

It is a little of topic, but I think if you aren't going to vax, then you need to be feeding your body good foods (not even necessarily organic--just not all JUNK!!--sugar). Well, I feel this way even if you do vax...but you need to keep up a healthy immune system
I definitely love the way you think dealjunkie!

We do drink the Horizon actually. I know in the beginning we had to experiment because we didn't like the taste of some of the other popular brands. I also like that Horizon has coupons & my store doubles them so that really helps. I still think it would be cheaper to buy a cow. :P

And, since we're offering helpful advice, if there's anyone out there who is giving their child regular milk, I recommend learning about growth hormones. They are pretty darn scary. Actually, I won't be giving my son any regular cow's milk at all including organic until he's a lot older. I won't go off on another tangent about why but a quick google or read some of Dr. John Baron's books (small, skinny books!) if you want to know why. From everything I've read, none of us should be drinking it but it's one of my weaknesses. I love the stuff.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MeAndPhoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2008, 11:20 AM

exhausted..I want a nap

My Mood/Status:
susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!susanchristlieb2002 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by slpjlc View Post
The thing about the flu shot is it doesn't keep you from getting the flu..I always got the flu after I had a flu shot. My daughter had the flu shot one year and she got the flu afterward and the flu was worse when she had the flu shot. SOOO, she is NOT taking the flu shot anymore..and I refuse to take it.

Had I known you don't have to have them vaccinated, or can limit the vaccinations and they'd have to do what you said..I would have made them only give my daughter one vaccination at a time and we would have skipped the MMR.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to susanchristlieb2002 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2008, 11:40 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I believe that only a parent knows best for their child. My children all have at least some of their shots for the following reasons:

1. We (my family) is upper middle class. However, we live in a lower poverty level community. With a HIGH drug rate. More chance for germs in our community. It is where I grew up and I am not leaving.

2. My children have the same father and different mothers. Oldest gets the least shots mom/dad are both white. Dad has diabetes however DS is not showing any help problems.
DD is white/eskimo - she has a higher risk for a lot of dieases do to be 1/2 eskimo sp she gets them. Youngest son (which is my bio son) is also 100 % causacian (white is easier for me to spell) he gets ALL the shots since he was a NICU baby with severe medical problems at birth.
He is almost three and continues to have a weak immune system. The shots are in my opinion needed to help ensure he does not get certain illnesses or dieases that could kill him.

3. We give them to them spread out not all at once to help with his / their immune systems.

So you can see that DH and I look at the big picture and what we feel best is for our children.
Educating ourselves is the best way to do anything in MHO.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:00 PM

is p!$$ed that I cannot edit my posts...
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!icollectcokestuff has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My DS (almost 7) was receiving his shots on schedule until he was about 6 months old. Due to severe allergies of unknown causes, we stopped shots for a few months to rule out that the reactions were NOT due to an immunization component. After the reactions continued (turned out he was allergic to dairy, soy, citrus fruits and fish - all of which he has now thankfully outgrown!), we continued with shots. Took a L-O-N-G time to play "catch-up" - as in April of 2007 to "prepare" him to being school that August - he got about 7 shots in one day to be up to "standards", etc.
Had a BIG reaction (wouldn't you after having that many shots in one day???) - on and on....anyway, needless to say - we have decided no more shots EVER for him, nor for anymore we have/adopt. After speaking with my chiropractor about this and researching it more on my own, DH and I have decided that no more shots is the best decision for our family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icollectcokestuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2008, 03:47 PM

needs a maid!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!philomena83 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have had my kids vaccinated, fortunately, they have never experienced any problems. The only shots I don't let them have are the chicken pox shots and the flu shots. I am not sure why I choose that, just that it seems unnecessary.
I think it's wonderful that you are educating yourself as much as possible so that you can make a good decision.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to philomena83 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2009, 12:16 AM

is searching for deals on AFC!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jenbob31905 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My DD is 4 months old and her shots are up-to-date... It's a subject that DH & I don't really see eye-to-eye on... I need to research and find a delayed schedule. We did split up her 2 month shots since there was 1 oral and 4 shots. At her 4 month visit was 1 oral and 2 shots... 1 was a "combo" (3 in 1) shot that I wasn't sure about, but DH was okay with it and there wasn't enough time to argue! *sighs*

At least I have until the end of February to figure out a plan of attack from here on forward!
The Following User Says Thank You to jenbob31905 For This Useful Post: