Need Advice About Dealing With The Loss Of A Pet

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2008, 08:44 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Need Advice about dealing with the loss of a Pet

Our family dog is very ill with an aggressive form of canine cancer. Our Vet doesn't think she has much more than 3-6 months to live.

My DS is 2 years, 8 months old. He adores our dog and she's been around since before he was born.

My question is this: It's likely that we will lose her before our DS turns 3. How do you handle the loss of a pet with a small child? I called our Pediatricians office and the nurse said she didn't know and that we should ask our Vet. I don't want to focus on the fact that she's sick because I don't want "being sick" to scare him. I worry that if I tell him she's sick and she went to Heaven he's going to be scared anytime he hears that Mommy or Daddy are sick.

What would you do or, for those of you who have dealt with this, what did you do?

The Following User Says Thank You to Linz For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2008, 08:49 PM

RE: Need Advice about dealing with the loss of a Pet

is waiting for her DS to visit 3/27
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!lifeworthliving has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Don't really know what to tell you about the child. That is very young to understand. But did want to send a for you guys. That is a tough one to deal with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to lifeworthliving For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!sunshinejanie has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
The Following User Says Thank You to sunshinejanie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 PM

Hoping for the best

My Mood/Status:
erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!erainwater1976 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I am very sorry I lost my cat last week and now my dog is very sick.. He can hardly walk and he has been breathing extremely hard. We need to go have him put down but its has been so hard on us. I have a little girl who is 20 months so she knows who her animals are also but I just have to let her know its time they went to heaven to see Gramps her grandpa.. Gramps needed a pet with him.. I didn't know what else to say. But your little one is older than mine though. Let me know how things go. I am very sorry for what is going on with your family animal.
The Following User Says Thank You to erainwater1976 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2008, 10:14 PM

My Mood/Status:
SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SophiesMommy has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
well... when i was 3 my uncle died. who was pretty much my brother since my nana and papol pretty much raised me when i was little. when he my nana and papol sat me down and explained that uncle scotty was in heaven and that i would see him again someday. i mean they tried there best to explain to a 3yr old but i didnt REALLY understand uncle the calling hours. (yes they took me and im so thankful they let me go) i saw him in the casket and i remember putting my picture inside the grave with him. that was when i knew he wouldnt be around anymore. so maybe when your doggy finally does pass have a lil service for your son. he may understand it better.

my nana passed in april and my daughters were only 21months and 5 months. when i found out nana was dying(we found out a month before she passed) i explained to rylee right off the bat that nana wasnt going to be around much longer that she was going to live with jesus and how lucky she was ect. when nana passed i was there with her(our whole family was) but my girls were in my inlaws and when we went and picked them up i said to rylee (with my best trying not to break down) guess where nana got to go tonight? and she said "nanas went to live with jesus and uncle scotty shes a lucky duck"

so it really is amazing how much there young minds can understand

my prayers are with you. ill pray for strength. loosing a pet is loosing your family
The Following User Says Thank You to SophiesMommy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2008, 10:15 AM

Go Buckeyes!
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't know, just wanted to give you a

The Following User Says Thank You to carriemb2 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2008, 02:36 PM

Alexander was born 6-9-2009
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
CK147 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CK147 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CK147 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CK147 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CK147 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CK147 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CK147 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CK147 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
We lost my daughters best friend (our dog) when she was about 3. She took it very well, he was a chihuahua so he was small enough that we buried him in our backyard. We told her that he had died and was not gonna be there to play with her but she could go talk to him any time she wanted. Now at 7 she still talks about him. RIP Auggie!

A DRUNK MANS WORDS ARE A SOBER MANS THOUGHTS!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 02:54 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Linz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My mom bought my DS a book called Dog Heaven. We've thumbed through it twice now with DS and he likes the pictures. He hasn't connected it to our dog but I think when we do lose her, it will be a very good foundation to start the conversation on.

Thanks for all the help from everyone.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:31 PM

Will work for pamper points!

My Mood/Status:
marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm sorry...my 4.5 year old talks about death a good bit since my parents are dead and we have 2 family members dying. I hate that part of parenting! I would maybe say that the doggie's body is giving out and he's starting to hurt so pretty soon he can go to heaven where he can run/play/be an angel/whatever you wanna say. You might wanna forewarm him to give the dog lots of love and gentleness...I remember when my pets died it was usually suddenly and I just felt so bad I couldn't give another hug or play just one more time.