Chores

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 08:35 AM
is plain o'le tired
on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Help Sign Chores

What are the chores you have your kids do? Does anyone have a spreadsheet they would be willing to share? Do you work on a rewards system or allowance or nothing at all?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 AM

RE: Chores

Supporting Member

jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I started a system recently that I adapted from a book called something like "Americas cheapest family..." I can't remember the rest but anyway...

The kids earn points throughout the day and are rewarded with a certain amount per point. For my kids

Morning - brush teeth, make bed
during the day - plates on counter, no fighthing (they never get that point)
chores - my 9 yo son has to sweep the floor and take out the trash. My 6 yo daughter has to keep the family room clean and feed the cats
night - room clean, teeth brushed.

For each point they get 25 cents for a max of $14 a week. They usually get between 8 and 10 dollars

I keep track on the calandar and figure out how much they earned on Saturday night.

It has really helped with getting them to keep their rooms clean. Its a big effort to get it clean but then they do pretty good keeping it that way knowing they will loose that point if its messy by bed time.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:51 AM

loves AFC!!!
Waiting for summer...

My Mood/Status:
vkearney has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vkearney has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vkearney has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vkearney has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vkearney has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vkearney has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vkearney has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vkearney has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
hey girl- i use this site. Its all online so I love it. DD does the target card.
PAYjr Visa Buxx Prepaid Debit Cards for Teens | Chore & Allowance

DD gets about $5 a week...but I dock her pay if she's not being well behaved. Sometimes she misses out on a couple of weeks! She also can't just spend it on whatever - all purchases must be approved by me. I try to match her saved allowance by adding an equal ammount to her savings. This isn't always possible beacuse money is tight for us but i try to do it as much as possible.

Last edited by vkearney; 07-29-2008 at 09:57 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to vkearney For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 AM

Supporting Member

jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Just thought to add that the book where I got the idea goes on to say they require their kids to keep track of their money, and save and donate a percent of it. I have'nt implemented that part at least not yet.

And my kids are responsible for paying for their school lunch out of their allowance. They can bring a lunch for free or pay for it. I waited for the summer to start this so that they have the opertunity to save up so when the school year hits if they have a bad week they will have enough to pay for lunch.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:16 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
jl531 has posted more than 150 good deals!jl531 has posted more than 150 good deals!
We ask the kids (DS10 and DD 7) to do chores at home - but we don't really have an allowance system. The kids are "treated" most anytime we go out and about, so I tell them that if I paid them an allowance - they would then have to use their money for the extra treats. For example - going to the pool. I always give them some money (a few dollars to share) for any treats they'd like while at the pool. If we had an allowance system - they would have to use their own money. Chores at our house are kind of expected - not rewarded for (they are EXPECTED to brush their teeth - I refuse to pay them for things like that!) Our chores include emptying or loading the dishwasher, cleaning the cat box, picking up toys that they or their younger brother got out, etc.. I try to tell them that I'll pay them if I see them going above and beyond what is expected of them (especially when I don't have to tell them or ask them to do it). Kind of like "catch them doing something good - and reward them". Sometimes I'll slip them a $5 or $10 if they've been really good about doing what they are suppose to be doing. The other day, my son noticed that the porch needed vacuuming - and he went ahead and did that. That was not part of his normal chores - and I paid him for it. It made me feel good that he noticed it needed to be done - and went ahead and did it without being asked to do it! And it made him feel good that I paid him for it - when he wasn't expecting it!

I have a friend that uses a bit of a backwards system - and it works for her. She gives the kids an allowance up front - but for every chore they fail to do - they have to pay her back. She finds that it was easier for the kids to slack off, when they didn't have the money in hand. Now that they have the money - and they have to give it back to her if the chores are not done - they seem to pay better attention to what they are suppose to be doing.

It's all a matter of what works for you. Kids are so different, and what works for one family - won't necessarily work for another.
The Following User Says Thank You to jl531 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2008, 07:35 AM

Needs to get to CVS already!
Yay! I can use expired grocery qs!!

My Mood/Status:
Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Our chores go like this:

3 yo- Put away silverware,clean the sink (she loves to do this) everyday, then dust and water plants accordingly.

The 4 olders then are on rotation for these chores:

Put away dishes
sweep kitchen floor
swiffer kitchen floor
schoolroom rescue (straighten up)
living room rescue & carpet sweep
table set
table clear
dining room carpet sweep
Playroom rescue
Laundry (put their laundry away neatly)

One day a week make lunch for the family (12, 10 & 8 yo).

Keeping their room straightened up and personal hygiene are not considered chores here.

Only the twelve year old gets an allowance. It is not directly tied to chores as we consider those things that must be done for the benefit of the family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momtoabunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 AM

fished cutting coupons and is organizing them

My Mood/Status:
NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
great ideas
Old 07-31-2008, 07:50 AM

is plain o'le tired
on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!eaturpasta has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Thanks for the ideas everyone! I made a spreadsheet and within 1 hour of putting it up and explaining it, DD6 had done 10 chores. I paid her...and she loved it! DD12 could care less for now. I am thinking that when we go to Target she will re-think it. DD6 has already done 4 more chores today!

Here is the list that I made:
Feed and water cats
Bring down laundry
Take out trash/recycle
Make bed pick up room
Clean bathroom
Cat litter
Empty dishwasher
Put away laundry
Fold laundry in dryer
Put away groceries
Set table/Get drinks
Clean up playroom
Sweep or vacuum 1 room
Behavior
Homework
Old 07-31-2008, 07:58 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!armympwife has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
DS doesn't get money he gets treats and toys. He's 5 so he doesn't really NEED money since he doesn't go anywhere by himself. Our deal is that if he doesn't give me a hard time (DS HATES to take a bath and brush his teeth), goes to bed without a fuss, keeps his room clean, and doesn't complain about the few things we ask him to do (put silverwear away when I unload the dishwasher, help collect the trash, pick up after himself) during the week, he can pick out a treat at the grocery store and I will buy it (regardless of whether I have a coupon or not ) Once a month he gets a toy.

I know how to use scissors; give me free stuff!
Old 07-31-2008, 07:59 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gmpaula has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I usw handipoints.com

its free
Old 07-31-2008, 09:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
fuzzyboo has posted more than 200 great deals!fuzzyboo has posted more than 200 great deals!fuzzyboo has posted more than 200 great deals!
My two have chores like dishes, taking out the garbage, and feeding the animals, also switching laundry from washer to dryer or taking it out of the dryer. I don't give them an allowance for these things as they are part of the family and these are things it takes to make the family home run smoothly. However, I will give them money for extras they do around the house. My dd12 likes to organize stuff and I am terrible at it so she will volunteer to straighten up the pantry or linen closet and I will pay her for those. My DS10 rarely goes above and beyond, until he sees his sister getting more money and then he is asking for more odd jobs to do. Brushing their teeth and keeping their rooms clean are things that are done no matter what and I will not pay them for that. Nobody pays you for this stuff in the real world and I don't want to set them up for failure by teaching them that they should be paid to do these things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-31-2008, 10:33 AM

Supporting Member

Wow,
Everyone seems to feel very strongly about the brushing the teeth thing! I chose things that I'm trying to get them in the habit of doing without having to tell them. Once they are in the habit I'll rotate something else in. I don't think I'm setting them up for failure...
Old 07-31-2008, 12:21 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
jl531 has posted more than 150 good deals!jl531 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessl View Post
Wow,
Everyone seems to feel very strongly about the brushing the teeth thing! I chose things that I'm trying to get them in the habit of doing without having to tell them. Once they are in the habit I'll rotate something else in. I don't think I'm setting them up for failure...
I don't think anyone meant to bash you! If I had an issue with my kids throwing a fit regarding brushing their teeth - then absolutely I would use an allowance or reward as incentive. I'm all into bribing my kids (within reason, of course!) if need be! Haahaa!

What works for one - may not work for another!
The Following User Says Thank You to jl531 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2008, 12:51 PM

trying to start couponing again
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
ilovemykidsmore has posted more than 100 good deals!ilovemykidsmore has posted more than 100 good deals!
I have tried many "programs" with my kids and they all seem to fail after the newness has worn off. Right now, I have a very simple excel sheet with a column for each child. There is an entry for daily chores and then one for each day a week. I require them to be done before lunch is served. If there is a lot of fighting going on or I feel that I am spending too much of my energy keeping them on track, then I make 1 sit in the corner until the other is finished. Then they trade. This makes them stay more on track because they know that if they dilly dally, then their sibling will be more inclined to dilly dally while they are in the corner. Harsh, I know, but I have really reached my wits end with keeping the house picked up and keeping them on track to help out around here.

I am going to look into some of the ideas here.

I did want to mention one chore that my 5yr. old does daily: Clean the toilet. My mom thought that was terrible when she first heard it. I don't have my dd use cleaners. I keep the toilet brush in a holder right by the toilet and she just goes in daily, scrubs, and flushes. About once a week I go in and put cleaner on it for her. Really though, with a daily scrubbing it doesn't need cleaner. It's the one chore that my kids actually fought over (because they all wanted it) when we were doing rotating chores.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:09 PM

--

My Mood/Status:
_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!_rori has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
we don't give ds allowance, but he does have a penny bank that we put money into when he is caught doing good .. but also gets money taken out of if he breaks something (purposely), ruins something (purposely) ..

but these are great ideas. i think children need to see the importance of money and being responsible with it .. and it maybe a way to get him to do things without being told 1000x.

my question is - do you guys not tell your children to do these things? do they have to do it on their own in order to get the allowance? for example, i tell ds every morning to clean his room .. do you just wait for your children to do so? ykim?

in a world full of people who couldn't careless,
be someone who couldn't care more
Old 07-31-2008, 03:07 PM

Needs to get to CVS already!
Yay! I can use expired grocery qs!!

My Mood/Status:
Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Momtoabunch has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by _rori View Post
we don't give ds allowance, but he does have a penny bank that we put money into when he is caught doing good .. but also gets money taken out of if he breaks something (purposely), ruins something (purposely) ..

but these are great ideas. i think children need to see the importance of money and being responsible with it .. and it maybe a way to get him to do things without being told 1000x.

my question is - do you guys not tell your children to do these things? do they have to do it on their own in order to get the allowance? for example, i tell ds every morning to clean his room .. do you just wait for your children to do so? ykim?
They need to be reminded I think. Reminded once, maybe twice and then a consequence, whatever that may be in your house.

Here, I announce that it is time to complete a chore. I do this several times a day, particularly after a meal. They get one reminder after that announcement, then a consequence.

For example, if your consequence is taking away money then you announce, "I've noticed this chore is not done, I gave you two reminders, you must now pay __$__ for this infraction. And then of course they are still expected to finish that chore.
Old 07-31-2008, 03:13 PM

hello?
Grounded for life

My Mood/Status:
mintman72 has posted more than 10 good deals
We used to assign a specific value to each one of his chores. Some of them were the day to day stuff he should have been doing anyway, and some of them were actual chores. I'll attach the spreadsheet we used to use to track them.

Last edited by mintman72; 03-26-2009 at 05:17 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mintman72 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2008, 04:21 PM

trying to start couponing again
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
ilovemykidsmore has posted more than 100 good deals!ilovemykidsmore has posted more than 100 good deals!
Thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpaula View Post
I usw handipoints.com

its free
Okay, I checked this site out hours ago and this is the first chance I've had to come back here. After I set up all 3 of my kids charts, they have been watching each other check it out. I think this may be something that actually lasts. I have sheltered my kids from webkins but something based on chores/bahavior is awesome!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:14 PM

My Mood/Status:
fuzzyboo has posted more than 200 great deals!fuzzyboo has posted more than 200 great deals!fuzzyboo has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessl View Post
Wow,
I am sorry if it came off like I was bashing you, I was speaking more in general. I have seen so many people whose parents never expected them to do anything their whole life without some sort of reward, and when they are hit with the reality of life they have trouble.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to fuzzyboo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2008, 05:21 AM

Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzyboo View Post
I am sorry if it came off like I was bashing you, I was speaking more in general. I have seen so many people whose parents never expected them to do anything their whole life without some sort of reward, and when they are hit with the reality of life they have trouble.
No problem. I guess I was just sensitive yesterday.

I just started the system I'm using and part of it was to get them in the habbit but also I wanted to make some of the points easy to achieve and others a little more challenging.

Tags
allowance, chart, chores