Sunday Review Journal Increased To $3!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 10:11 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

pcothran has posted more than 300 great deals!pcothran has posted more than 300 great deals!pcothran has posted more than 300 great deals!pcothran has posted more than 300 great deals!
Sunday Review Journal increased to $3!

I just found out today that the Dollar Tree no longer carries the Sunday paper. I was told that it was because they were losing too much money. What a bummer! We get lousy coupons as it is, and there's no way I'm gonna pay $2.50 a paper (and that's with only the SS).

So I went to Walgreens to buy a paper (I know there's no cpns today, but I wanted it for the ads). And that's when I found out the price just went up to $3!

Anyone know if the 99 cent stores are still carrying the paper?? Any other source for buying cheaper papers??
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2010, 01:06 AM

RE: Sunday Review Journal increased to $3!

Your trojan's in my head...
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
There was a P&G insert today, hope you got it!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm pretty sure I sold my soul to Target somewhere along the way....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:17 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Shopping4acure has posted more than 400 great deals!Shopping4acure has posted more than 400 great deals!Shopping4acure has posted more than 400 great deals!Shopping4acure has posted more than 400 great deals!Shopping4acure has posted more than 400 great deals!
$3 a paper is crazy. However, last week I read an article online (wish I could find it again), that a lot of papers nation wide are raising thier rates this year. Apparently within the last 2 years newspaper theft has risen by 40%. They mentioned both reselling newspapers on the corner, and sunday coupons being the reason why so many are stolen.

At $3 a piece, you would be better off just trading and buying coupons online. On average I only get the newspaper twice a month. I get most of mine from trading online. Its cheaper for me personally in the long run. Plus, I get only what I want that way. No wasted space in my binder.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:52 AM

pcothran has posted more than 300 great deals!pcothran has posted more than 300 great deals!pcothran has posted more than 300 great deals!pcothran has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredysmama View Post
There was a P&G insert today, hope you got it!
Nope, I never get the P&G or RP . When I lived in GA, we got both of those in our Atlanta AJC, along with the great SS inserts. Then I moved here 1 1/2 yrs ago to be close to my kids & grandkids. No more P&G & RP in the Sunday paper. The house I first moved to at least got those in our mail, but when I bought a new home in a different zip code (still Vegas), I no longer get them. I've contacted RP, who kept telling me I should start getting them, but never did. I finally gave up on them. When I contacted P&G, I was told that part of my zip code gets them, but part (my part) doesn't. What a bummer!
The Following User Says Thank You to pcothran For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopping4acure View Post
$3 a paper is crazy. However, last week I read an article online (wish I could find it again), that a lot of papers nation wide are raising thier rates this year. Apparently within the last 2 years newspaper theft has risen by 40%. They mentioned both reselling newspapers on the corner, and sunday coupons being the reason why so many are stolen.

At $3 a piece, you would be better off just trading and buying coupons online. On average I only get the newspaper twice a month. I get most of mine from trading online. Its cheaper for me personally in the long run. Plus, I get only what I want that way. No wasted space in my binder.
Yeah, I'm looking into that now. Buying complete inserts from a trader is gonna be my best bet. Never did much trading before, but now's the time to start.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:02 AM

:)
Loves to save $$$$

My Mood/Status:
Kimberlin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kimberlin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kimberlin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kimberlin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kimberlin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kimberlin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kimberlin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kimberlin has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
That stinks!! I have a subscription to the LVRJ, and get extra's at dollar tree if there's good inserts. Now I don't know what I'll do for extra inserts.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:12 PM

My Mood/Status:
karenlasvegas03 has posted more than 25 good deals
The .99 cent store stopped carrying the paper also. I have found someone I buy complete inserts from that have great prices. She does not make any money off of us, she does it so we can save money. Good Luck.

Also here is a little info you can find the rest here. IF you would like her email address for more info please P.M me.

She has one of the lowest rates around. Under $1 (90 to 70cents) per insert shipped....that is 1/2 the cost or more of the Sunday paper. One Lot consists of (5) inserts. The prices below include the inserts and Shipping.

One Lot of 5 = $5.22
Two Lots of 5 = $9.55
Three Lots of 5 = $11.85
Four Lots of 5 = $14.15
Old 05-13-2010, 05:28 AM

Karen,

Looks like a great price. I just pm'd you. Thanks alot!
The Following User Says Thank You to pcothran For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2011, 05:13 PM

Happy Birthday to Me!

My Mood/Status:
ElainaNV has posted more than 25 good deals
Here in Reno they're still only $1.50
Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 PM

Jennybeanlv has posted more than 1 good deal
that does sound like a great price!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:02 PM

2sleepy has posted more than 25 good deals
You might try recycling containers, you can search on line for paper recycling drop off near where you live. Or, you can do what I do, go out for breakfast on Sunday morning find a cafe that provides several copies of newspapers and ask if they mind if you take out the coupon inserts. Starbucks is another possibility, at least 2 of them that I go to have specific newspaper recycling containers. I have absolutely no pride so I just take the lid off them and dig through them for coupon inserts. I get funny looks but who cares =)
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElainaNV View Post
Here in Reno they're still only $1.50
yeah but it sucks that the Reno sunday inserts are so frequently missing the really good coupons. I'm trying to find a place to pick up a Sacramento Bee on Sunday, but so far no luck..there are Sac Bee newspaper stands and twice now I have put my money in only to find papers inside with the inserts removed. That really frosts me..
Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
kwpdb8 has posted more than 150 good deals!kwpdb8 has posted more than 150 good deals!
The Sac Bee is no longer being delivered to Reno stores or may not even be a print paper anymore - haven't seen it in weeks. On 5/15 I drove around to several convenience stores and newsstands and couldn't find a single copy. But the SF Chronicle is good for inserts - even though it's not as cheap as the RGJ, their coupons sometimes have higher face value (ex: 5/22 Heinz Ketchup coupon was only .25 in the RGJ, .50 in the SFC). They also have some unique coupons as well.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwpdb8 View Post
The Sac Bee is no longer being delivered to Reno stores or may not even be a print paper anymore - haven't seen it in weeks. On 5/15 I drove around to several convenience stores and newsstands and couldn't find a single copy. But the SF Chronicle is good for inserts - even though it's not as cheap as the RGJ, their coupons sometimes have higher face value (ex: 5/22 Heinz Ketchup coupon was only .25 in the RGJ, .50 in the SFC). They also have some unique coupons as well.
Where's the best place to get the Chronicle? I hate newsstands because either my money gets stuck in the machine or people take out the inserts and leave the paper
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM

My Mood/Status:
kwpdb8 has posted more than 150 good deals!kwpdb8 has posted more than 150 good deals!
For me, the most convenient place is 7/11. The papers are right at the front counter, so the inserts are usually there, and the guy who works Sunday mornings at my store is a couponer too. HTH.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
sammysaves has posted more than 10 good deals
99 cent only does carry the paper for 1.99, still a rip off. I just go to apartments by my house when I know the coupons have come that day and get them from the trashcans by the mailboxes. In vegas they come in my area on tuesday and in the view on wednesday. It takes some research to find out where they are but you can gets lots! Then maybe you could trade extras on here. HTH!
The Following User Says Thank You to sammysaves For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 AM

yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
mcdonalds sells them for $2 each
The Following User Says Thank You to yay4coupons For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 01:52 AM

Your trojan's in my head...
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I was in Vegas over the summer and I happened to be there on a Sunday. I went into one of the many Wags on the strip LOL to pick up a paper but walked right out when I saw it was $3! That's double the price of the Fresno Bee! Sorry for you =(

I'm pretty sure I sold my soul to Target somewhere along the way....
Old 12-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yay4coupons View Post
mcdonalds sells them for $2 each
I didn't know McD's even sells the paper.

Even at $2 a paper, it's still not a good deal cuz we usually only get a SS and not the others. And they're crummy coupons compared to other areas. We're much better off ordering our inserts from elsewhere (that's what I've done for a couple years now).
Old 12-19-2011, 09:43 AM

yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!yay4coupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Totally. I was just saying. My friend does that, but she has to buy them if there's ever a deal she needs right away and can't wait for insert shipping. I convinced her to go to an apt complex closeby and look at the trash on tuesdays. I used to live in an apt and know ppl just throw them in a recycle bin right by the community mailbox. Score.
Old 12-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Also, id ask the newspaper guy. He pays the newspaper company a reduced price for each paper and deliver them to the stores on his route. Whatever doesn't sell he picks up later and sellls back to the recycling plant to make up for some of the loss. How much could the recycling plant pay him for each paper? Ask the store clerk what time the guy comes back for leftover papers and make a deal with him. I bet he'd be happier selling them to you. I'm sure the recycling plant pays him next to nothing for each paper. If he sold the insert to you and the rest of the paper to the plant he'd prob be making more profit also.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:05 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
chickymomma86 has posted more than 200 great deals!chickymomma86 has posted more than 200 great deals!chickymomma86 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I'm seeing that I should be very grateful that I can get the newspaper for only $0.75 yet.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickymomma86 View Post
I'm seeing that I should be very grateful that I can get the newspaper for only $0.75 yet.
Yes, definately count your blessings!

WOW, .75 must be one of the very cheapest places in the country for a Sunday paper! Do you get ALL the inserts in it (SS, RP, PG)?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:20 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
chickymomma86 has posted more than 200 great deals!chickymomma86 has posted more than 200 great deals!chickymomma86 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcothran View Post
Yes, definately count your blessings!

WOW, .75 must be one of the very cheapest places in the country for a Sunday paper! Do you get ALL the inserts in it (SS, RP, PG)?
Occassionally the P&G is missed, but not often. Then I have to resort to buying the Sunday paper for $1.50 instead of the Saturday early edition.