Cashier Attitudes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2011, 12:02 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

BeachPeach has posted more than 100 good deals!BeachPeach has posted more than 100 good deals!
Cashier Attitudes

I had a nice trip until I told my cashier that I had a PM this afternoon. Then she got snotty and asked if I had the sales paper with me. Before I mentioned the PM, she was all chit-chatty and what-not, funny how that can change like the wind. I told her that having it with me wasn't actually necessary, but yes, I did have it, and showed her the PM.

She did my PM and took my MQ's but she didn't wish me a good day or thank you or nothing, not that I had hurt feelings. I told her thanks so much in my cheeriest way then made a B-line to the customer service desk for a rain check on another item.

The way some of these cashiers act about coupons you'd think you were taking money out of their pockets!

Anyway, I PM'ed (6) Zatarains rice mixes from Bi-Lo 10/$10 and used a .75c/2 and
I also got (2) Scott Naturals toilet paper 4 mega roll pack 2.68ea - 1.50/1 = 1.18ea
The rain check was for Nexcare Bandaids.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeachPeach For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:29 PM

RE: Cashier Attitudes

is amazed at how blessed she truly is
Always ISO Pall Mall, Camel and Mt. Dew coupons

My Mood/Status:
ERHMomma has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ERHMomma has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ERHMomma has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ERHMomma has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ERHMomma has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ERHMomma has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ERHMomma has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ERHMomma has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I am emailing corporate tonight about a cashier's attitude. I had a really bad expierence with her Saturday and I decided I was going to give it another shot and then if it happened again I would contact corporate. Well, I ran into her today and I HAD to go thru her line to get smokes. Well she commented that I was the lady from Saturday and then proceeded to be as rude and snobby as she could possibly be. For the second time in less than a week this woman has almost brought me to tears. It's ridiculous.

I will be emailing them tonight. I'm taking my time at it b/c I want to be calm so that I can type logically and wisely.

IVDSO girls 7/8 fall/winter clothing!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:35 PM

BeachPeach has posted more than 100 good deals!BeachPeach has posted more than 100 good deals!
I'm sorry you were treated crappy. Personally if it was me, I'd call the store and speak to the store manager, then while I have him on the phone I'd ask him for his District Managers phone number and let him know that I plan on calling them too. I wouldn't leave it to an email. My understanding is that they don't reply to them usually. Better to call and get names!
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 PM

Shopping

My Mood/Status:
cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Cashiers

None of my emails to walmart were ever answered.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:59 PM

My Mood/Status:
daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I don't mean to descriminate, but the older ladies at Walmart I have to totally avoid. They have the worst attitude of any of them about the coupons. It's like they are trying really hard to deny a coupoon or something! Grrrr..
Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!TraciBarnes23 has posted more than 400 great deals!
i have a love/hate relationshop with old lady cahiers b/c some do not know the policy and some are fun and tell me about couponing for like 40 years. i hope i coupon for 40 years
Old 06-01-2011, 01:21 PM

sayoung1212 has posted more than 10 good deals
I was once cussed to in Russian at Wal-Mart because I was using coupons and she was OBVIOUSLY a new cashier. Ha, that's my Wal-Mart.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
Tkampd4 has posted more than 25 good deals
Fyi

Having been a cashier at my local Walmart it is like any other store, some enjoy their job while others hate it. I believe part of their attitude toward pm's and coupons has to do with the CSM's breathing down their necks to be faster at their job.

Walmart is always pushing their cashiers to scan 500 items per hour. When a customer comes through their line with pm's it takes longer to scan each item. Rather than scanning and bagging you must stop & push extra manual keys thereby slowing down their iph. ( items per hour )

Your raises at Walmart take into account your average iph.

If you add coupons on top of price matching the process is even longer. As some coupons won't scan on the register and the hand gun must be used. Some coupons beep and ask the cashier if it is a food coupon??? (no one could ever explain to us why it promts us as to wether or not it was a food coupon.

And of course all of our favorites are the coupons that give overage but as you know each of them will beep causing the cashier to stop and again manually press buttons.

All of this slows down thier iph. I would never agree with someone being rude but having worked there I can understand that shoppers like myself with pm's and coupons slows down their process and could result in being repremanded.

I try do do the following to help speed up the process for them: always have ads ready, tell the cashier at the beginning that I have coupons for bogo so they don't have to rescan the receipt for the correct price, load like items together on the belt, stack coupons from the Sunday paper between my printed online coupons since they stick together.

Sorry for the long post but I was just trying to give you a different perspective.

HTH!!
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Tkampd4 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 PM

nursesarah79 has posted more than 10 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkampd4
Having been a cashier at my local Walmart it is like any other store, some enjoy their job while others hate it. I believe part of their attitude toward pm's and coupons has to do with the CSM's breathing down their necks to be faster at their job.

Walmart is always pushing their cashiers to scan 500 items per hour. When a customer comes through their line with pm's it takes longer to scan each item. Rather than scanning and bagging you must stop & push extra manual keys thereby slowing down their iph. ( items per hour )

If you add coupons on top of price matching the process is even longer. As some coupons won't scan on the register and the hand gun must be used. Some coupons beep and ask the cashier if it is a food coupon??? (no one could ever explain to us why it promts us as to wether or not it was a food coupon.

And of course all of our favorites are the coupons that give overage but as you know each of them will beep causing the cashier to stop and again manually press buttons.

All of this slows down thier iph. I would never agree with someone being rude but having worked there I can understand that shoppers like myself with pm's and coupons slows down their process and could result in being repremanded.

I try do do the following to help speed up the process for them: always have ads ready, tell the cashier at the beginning that I have coupons for bogo so they don't have to rescan the receipt for the correct price, load like items together on the belt, stack coupons from the Sunday paper between my printed online coupons since they stick together.

Sorry for the long post but I was just trying to give you a different perspective.

HTH!!
I try to do what I can to help cashiers be faster n make the whole checkout as easy as possible. I not only do it for me but as well as the cashier. I feel like if I smile n be as nice as possible they will b the same. I always give them my bogo first so they already know the price, all my pm together, then reg item. N always ask them if they would like the coupons all together at the end or as we go. They all so far have been nice n never had a real problem so far. But I am always nervous when I check out still cause I don't like arguing n bickering over stuff especially in public. It's embarrassing. Like to be under the radar. : o P
Old 06-02-2011, 01:09 AM

My Mood/Status:
cashier_ellie has posted more than 300 great deals!cashier_ellie has posted more than 300 great deals!cashier_ellie has posted more than 300 great deals!cashier_ellie has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERHMomma View Post
I am emailing corporate tonight about a cashier's attitude. I had a really bad expierence with her Saturday and I decided I was going to give it another shot and then if it happened again I would contact corporate. Well, I ran into her today and I HAD to go thru her line to get smokes. Well she commented that I was the lady from Saturday and then proceeded to be as rude and snobby as she could possibly be. For the second time in less than a week this woman has almost brought me to tears. It's ridiculous.

I will be emailing them tonight. I'm taking my time at it b/c I want to be calm so that I can type logically and wisely.
Wow! I can't believe she treated you that way not once but twice. One time, you can maybe explain it away with the cashier having a bad day, whatever. But being rude to you on two separate trips just means that she's a miserable person. Please keep us updated on your call to corporate.
Old 06-02-2011, 01:48 AM

loving saving money with y'all
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!everytim has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERHMomma View Post

I am in such shock. I KNOW there are rude people. But this is amazing. I think I would have said. Yeah I remember how rude you were. I thought maybe you had a bad day. I was so wrong, wasn't I? Thank you for reminding me of what happened. I know what I will be discussing with your boss. Good day.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM

My Mood/Status:
cbandlow has posted more than 10 good deals
i have been yelled at my walmart managers. My daughter accidently threw a bottle in the garbage while we were returning out cans etc.. she yelled at my 4yr old for taking it out of the trash and then told me its against the law to take anything out of the garbage.. I took the rest of my bottles to mejer. Figure I would rather give them the return credit then walmart. I asked for her manager and she was the manager. I got her name and called districe. They did send me a gift card but I havnt been able to walk back in that store.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:26 AM

~*Wine - The Better Fruit Juice*~
Developing Newbie

My Mood/Status:
WineLover23 has posted more than 50 good deals
Wow I had no idea the walmart cashiers get rates based on their products scanned per hour... Explains a lot
Old 06-02-2011, 10:37 AM

Brantonio2709 has posted more than 75 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkampd4

HTH!!
Hello all! I currently work for Walmart as a DM and although it's true cashiers are graded based on IPH (items per hour) the system does recognize time it takes to check coupons, PM, Drivers licenses, and price checks and that times does not count against their IPH... So don let any cashier mislead you into thinking you are bringing down their IPH....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brantonio2709 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 10:57 AM

Chatrbee2 has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineLover23
Wow I had no idea the walmart cashiers get rates based on their products scanned per hour... Explains a lot
Most other stores do too. No excuse IMO about the attitude. It maybe how walmart treats them, but if that's the case they need to speak out to walmart not the customers.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:03 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Useraaaa has posted more than 10 good deals
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brantonio2709 View Post
Hello all! I currently work for Walmart as a DM and although it's true cashiers are graded based on IPH (items per hour) the system does recognize time it takes to check coupons, PM, Drivers licenses, and price checks and that times does not count against their IPH... So don let any cashier mislead you into thinking you are bringing down their IPH....
I know you are trying to help but to me this is a cop out answer. Rather then tell us don't believe the cashier when they state this or imply this. You should be passing this frustration up the ladder and get your stores trained better to get back your customer base. I for one haven't done any major trips to Walmart in months because of cashiers and how clean the stores were.

Edit: I should also mention I have an in-law who works for Walmart in a non cashier position and she tells me most employees are treated badly at her store as well by management.
The Following User Says Thank You to Useraaaa For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 11:05 AM

Thank you I get tired of people excusing cashiers that aren't able or don't want to do their job well.

Today a walmart cashier told me if the coupons don't scan (beep and give price) they are not allowed to take them. What are you supposed to do when they are legit and dont scan!?! He did say a good cashier can get 90% to work and figure out what the problem is but most are lazy and just hand them back. I had that happen last week and she wanted me to just take a handful back. I said okay delete those items. She did not want to do that so I called a manager. But I think it's how they are often holding/scanning the coupons.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:24 AM

beyond a rock and a hard place!

My Mood/Status:
Rolley3 has posted more than 25 good deals
I had a cashier at Wal-Mart to throw about 8 of my coupons in the trash! I had to turn and step away for a minute to get a close item. I complained they said she was new and panicked and would be retrained. I only had around 20Q's and she handed me one because it "wouldn't work" I read and re read we never did see a problem but I took it back and used it elseware. After my purchace i counted the used Q that was on my RR and the one in hand thats when i seen that there were 8 missing! The manager offered me cash but he wasn't the one that tossed them.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:58 AM

Discount Mercenary

My Mood/Status:
veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!veriria has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
While I don't wish to insinuate that all cashiers are morons - because I mean, in a way, I am one as well (though I work as a faux-bartender onboard a train!) - but some cashiers actually DO think coupons is just money off and that is that. Some don't actually know that the manufacturer reimburses the store the face value of the coupon (plus the $.08). Silly I know, but true.

(It is quite amazing, how the masses continue to procreate yet get stupider and stupider with every generation! You'd think it would be the opposite. But I've always been the pessimistic sort.... Have you seen the movie Idiocracy??).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Then those employees should do something about it. I prefer all other stores to walmart but sometimes in our area they are the only one who have some items.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriria
While I don't wish to insinuate that all cashiers are morons - because I mean, in a way, I am one as well (though I work as a faux-bartender onboard a train!) - but some cashiers actually DO think coupons is just money off and that is that. Some don't actually know that the manufacturer reimburses the store the face value of the coupon (plus the $.08). Silly I know, but true.

(It is quite amazing, how the masses continue to procreate yet get stupider and stupider with every generation! You'd think it would be the opposite. But I've always been the pessimistic sort.... Have you seen the movie Idiocracy??).
It is a Shame many are just naturally dense. But it's still no excuse the employee needs to train them better.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:37 PM

Brantonio2709 has posted more than 75 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Span

I know you are trying to help but to me this is a cop out answer. Rather then tell us don't believe the cashier when they state this or imply this. You should be passing this frustration up the ladder and get your stores trained better to get back your customer base. I for one haven't done any major trips to Walmart in months because of cashiers and how clean the stores were.

Edit: I should also mention I have an in-law who works for Walmart in a non cashier position and she tells me most employees are treated badly at her store as well by management.
I don't believe you read my post right at all, first off what I said was not a "cop out" I am actually backing up the customers in this issue because I said that if a cashier is telling you checking a coupon ect. is messing up their IPH then they are giving you false information (or they are mis informed) that is called a FACT not a "cop out" second the store I work for is known for being amazing to couponers... so don't assume all walmarts are the same because my store actually uses this website to learn more about couponing and what our customers want, I help train all the new cashiers in couponing at my store (i have been involved in several classes teaching where you as the customers "frustration" comes from and how we cab ease it and most of the time we give the customers what they want even if they are wrong because a $2 price adjustment isn't worth losing that customer all together, I know that not all Walmarts are about customer service but here in Central Texas we are. (and btw my managers are wonderful, I'm sorry your in law is treated so badly but if it's that bad they should use our open door policy, I've seen managers fired over their attitudes toward us Department Managers and associates, it just takes talking to the right ppl) HTH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brantonio2709 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
mayling4lyfe has posted more than 25 good deals
I finally had my first bad cashier today. Boy, was she rude! She even "tattled" on my fiance and me to the supervisor that was looking over her. Anyway, if it's the case on the "items per hour" situation, I'm tempted to just say "Yes, maybe your items per hour is going down, but being rude to a costumer will get you fired."
Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayling4lyfe
I finally had my first bad cashier today. Boy, was she rude! She even "tattled" on my fiance and me to the supervisor that was looking over her. Anyway, if it's the case on the "items per hour" situation, I'm tempted to just say "Yes, maybe your items per hour is going down, but being rude to a costumer will get you fired."
It is not that hard to meet the computers quota. And I'd even say in most stores if your a great personality, you make lots of sales and more customers. They will make a curve. I worked target for a couple weeks before finding something I liked better. They offered me a floor job but after they stuck me on a register and after I figured where the buttons where I was at quota they didn't wish to move me to the floor. I was mad I know I ring well and will do it in a busy rush my feet and back can't take standing still. Every store I've worked has credit card quotas too and I never made them. Not in 20 years because I won't push them onto people for my profit (they all paid us per credit app). I'd get a scold for not asking and not pushing but never have been fired because my sales Rock, my customers all love me, and anywhere I work they often come to me for help because that's what I do. If a store doesnt flex a little to what your strong points are I'd be surprised and frankly wouldn't work there.

I've seen everything in the way of nasty customers. And I get really upset with nasty cashiers when I pride myself on not being one of those people at the desk. Even today I had a young new girl at target ringing. She was noticeable nervous and saying sorry when things didn't go well. And she even "thought" but wasn't sure I was only allowed 5 coupons per item instead of 6. I could had pulled policy and been exact but frankly she was doing well, rang up all other coupon well for about $40 and I wasn't going to shake her more over .75. I just went back for one more and used another line later to get my sale item. The .75 cents didn't break me and the worth of a good sales girl and her not wanting to break and run over a rude customer was with the act of kindness. I even said to her. I'm in no hurry, your doing fine at this steady pace...I saw her green light being nervous was just going to make her fail that pace. "I told her I've been in this business a long time I will never do to you the things done to me thank you for handling this so well. ".

Remember kindness is a two way street you get what you give. However, sometimes the person before you didn't know that rule and worked harder to rattle your cashiers cage. And how you handle them can make or break them getting better at their job.

I will report bad business but I try to remember that everyone can be "off" bit they don't need to be rude and not follow a certain standard.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chatrbee2 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:57 PM

sarahjm731 has posted more than 200 great deals!sarahjm731 has posted more than 200 great deals!sarahjm731 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachPeach
I had a nice trip until I told my cashier that I had a PM this afternoon. Then she got snotty and asked if I had the sales paper with me. Before I mentioned the PM, she was all chit-chatty and what-not, funny how that can change like the wind. I told her that having it with me wasn't actually necessary, but yes, I did have it, and showed her the PM.

She did my PM and took my MQ's but she didn't wish me a good day or thank you or nothing, not that I had hurt feelings. I told her thanks so much in my cheeriest way then made a B-line to the customer service desk for a rain check on another item.

The way some of these cashiers act about coupons you'd think you were taking money out of their pockets!

Anyway, I PM'ed (6) Zatarains rice mixes from Bi-Lo 10/$10 and used a .75c/2 and
I also got (2) Scott Naturals toilet paper 4 mega roll pack 2.68ea - 1.50/1 = 1.18ea
The rain check was for Nexcare Bandaids.
Hello I was wondering if the Scott tp was a pm or regular price and also where was the q from?? Thanks!!!

sent from my iPhone