Talk Spot: Tell Us About Your Shopping Trip!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 PM

RE: Talk Spot: Tell Us About Your Shopping Trip!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn96 View Post
Once again this has not been a good shopping cycle if anything things went up a bit or just flat out of stock. I did get some deals on chicken between the Tyson IPs and the foster farms MQs that came out in the commissary mags.I hope things get better this time.
I kind of agree will the deals this month. Do others feel the same this sales cycle? I have noticed that the inserts are "EH..." lately.

Hoping to see a better month for July. Super busy last week, which was a needed break. Back to looking for deals. Hoping that others will share too.

Thanks for posting your trips, lyn96!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Love Couponing and Helping Others? Join the Team of Forum Leaders Today!...Click Link Below...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to sav4dzn For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-02-2014, 05:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Seems like the coupon policy training has fallen by the way side. I had a clerk whom didn't know about overage and the so called "manager" was not happy about having to give it to me.Other than that I had a decent day.I'll give some prices here since they really don't belong in the cheap-overage post.
Rolaids 12 oz liquid 5.41
Cascade 16 ct 3.99 up from 2.99
Febreeze fabric spray 3.99
Raid Bug barrier starter kit.6.60 up from 4 n change when I got it a couple months ago.
L'Oreal sham or con 3.09
Zatarans boxed rice 1.55
Not much but a start.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lyn96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2014, 06:48 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyn96 View Post
Seems like the coupon policy training has fallen by the way side. I had a clerk whom didn't know about overage and the so called "manager" was not happy about having to give it to me.Other than that I had a decent day.I'll give some prices here since they really don't belong in the cheap-overage post.
Rolaids 12 oz liquid 5.41
Cascade 16 ct 3.99 up from 2.99
Febreeze fabric spray 3.99
Raid Bug barrier starter kit.6.60 up from 4 n change when I got it a couple months ago.
L'Oreal sham or con 3.09
Zatarans boxed rice 1.55
Not much but a start.
Don't feel bad, on Monday, I had a couple of expiring coupons that day and the cashier at WM told me I could only use one on the purchase. Mind you I was buying two of the same product with two different coupons. I had to explain the difference between purchase and transaction. She had to ask how many I bought. My transaction wasn't that complicated too. I told her bring over your manager and she dismissed it and gave me the correct price. Lack of the basic understanding which is so common.

Took a trip today, will post my findings tonight after dinner. Good trip, nice to see the workers at the commissary, too. It is nice to see the manager working at the registers, with the regular staff. That is a sign of a great leader who works all the jobs. It is definitely efficiently where the workers love their jobs.

Hoping to see some Kraft coupon sheets soon. They usually have some about this time. Missing their coupons.

Love Couponing and Helping Others? Join the Team of Forum Leaders Today!...Click Link Below...

Old 07-06-2014, 06:34 PM

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Keeping to posting my notes for this month here till July is ready.
Not a bad shopping day just a few small basic although meat kicked my budget.I was able to use the 5 Brawny MQs I had left that makes a total of 22 pks of paper towels $6.38 not bad for around here in the land of no doubles or better.
Is there a coupon for Reach floss again? We always seem to be out of it.
Weber BBQ sauce 1.50/1 there is a 1/1 MQ but I'm waiting to see a sale on them.
Mission Garlic and herb dip mix. .80/1. I have read that there are 1/1 of any Mission product hang tags or tear pads around the country, haven't seen them myself.
Toilet paper in general seems to have gone up 2.00 a pack any size any company.
Old El Paso stand and stuff taco shells 10ct 1.25 coupons.com 1/3 IP TX 77477
Heinz yellow mustard small bottle .80. sorry I don't know the size, all gone and it didn't say on the shelf tag. I know .50 peelies out there .

OK the meat. We had huge Val Pacs of bottom round roast 2.38 a pound. I had to buy it that is a great deal around here $36.?? for 15.?? lbs of meat
The Following User Says Thank You to lyn96 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 12:00 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Secret on How to Pick a Watermelon

Not much to report from the last trip, but I might know a secret in picking a watermelon.

Let me explain...

On my trip yesterday to the commissary, I came upon a batch of stacked watermelons. My children started mentioning them and frankly they looked good, so on to picking. My odds of getting a good watermelon are 50-50, not very good. I tried looking for one using the old methods, looking for the bee stings (not sure if a bee really stings them), and just hoping for the best by the size and color.

I then noticed a booth set up with coloring pages, stickers, and what caught my eye was a watermelon pamphlet. Hoping to find the answers to picking the perfect watermelon, I caught the gaze of another shopper. I then explained I was looking in the pamphlet for the answers on picking the right watermelon. She said she was also looking for the way to pick a watermelon. She then explained that her mother was great at picking them, but she wasn't there to help. We both laughed because we were both out of luck in picking a juicy, ripe watermelon.

I joked that it probably wasn't in the pamphlet, but had to change my response when I came across the golden key of the art of picking a watermelon.

Here is what the pamphlet explained...

1. Look the watermelon over...(hummmm, they look similar) Here's the key: Firm, Symmetrical, Free from Bruises, Cuts, or Dents.

2. Lift it up. The watermelon should be heavy for the size. Watermelons are 92% water and the weight is mostly water.

3. Turn the watermelon over. The underside of the watermelon should have a "creamy yellow spot" from where it sat on the ground and ripened.

We both laughed when we read the part of "creamy yellow spot". We even asked one of the serviceman buying the watermelon if he knew how to pick them and he said no, while putting the longest watermelon in his cart that anyone has ever seen. (No kidding, it looked like it was three feet long.) I then looked in my cart and noticed that the first choice I had picked didn't include most of the steps that the pamphlet said, so story short back to the drawing board on picking the perfect watermelon.

I finally found another one, and yes it was good when I sliced it up at home. Still a little skeptical about picking a good one again, but I will try these guidelines. Hopefully my luck has changed and these are true methods. Plus a little more knowledge and confidence that I would need for next time.

Now with these tools you can also pick the best watermelon! Let me know what you find or the wise advice you might have in picking one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sav4dzn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2014, 02:35 PM

My Mood/Status:
Thank You for that. I have Always had trouble picking them.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:35 PM

My Mood/Status:
hidesert5 has posted more than 10 good deals
Thank you for the info on watermelons and don't forget to thump them Last week I went to CVS to pick up a couple of boxes of South Beach Diet bars, taking advantage of the sale, and an extra buck reward. I noticed the boxes had a $0.75 peelie on each of them but then spaced it out at checkout and so did the checker apparently. When I got home, I noticed the peelies still stuck to the boxes, said "drat" and returned to the store to ask for the additional $1.50. The checker, bless her, gave me the additional credit on the bars and so the purchase price ended up being approx 35 cents or so for two boxes. Yay! Then on to Dollar General for some Venus razors with a 1/$1 MQ and a 1/$2 MQ. Then to Walgreen's for Butterball Bacon with another MQ. Returned home and noticed that the checker at Dollar General only gave me a $2 credit instead of the $3 per the MQ's. Again, off to the Dollar General to recoup a lost dollar. There was a new checker by this time who had no prob handing over the dollar, no questions. Back to Walgreen's since I was near the store again and this time to pick up an eyeshadow by Revlon that was on sale and for which I now had a SQ. The item rang up higher than the advertised price and the checker referred me to the store manager. Another dollar in my hand from the error. To Kroger later that day to pick up some Ball Park Franks, for which I had a DQ, and a few other items. Should have followed the trend of the day and checked out the receipt before I drove home. When I got home, I noticed the DQ wasn't credited on the receipt. Back to the store and alas the courtesy booth had just closed. Went to the cashier and explained the prob. After much ado, he called another checker over and she said just come back tomorrow and we'll sort it out then. I told them about the missing dollars all day and having to double back to recoup the money from CVS, Dollar General, and Walgreens, and that this was my second trip to Kroger's. She says, "You know what? I'm just going to give you your dollar right now." My husband remarked that I was probably using the money on gas for the car, but I reminded him that all of these stores are very near our house. So, I ended up with $5 in cash in my wallet (a rarity). I felt it was well worth it to track down the missed savings. The moral of my story is always check the receipt before driving off. I never follow the rule though because it is so darned hot this summer in Houston! I would rather study the receipts at the dining room table in the air conditioned house.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hidesert5 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2014, 02:27 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidesert5 View Post
Thank you for the info on watermelons and don't forget to thump them Last week I went to CVS to pick up a couple of boxes of South Beach Diet bars, taking advantage of the sale, and an extra buck reward. I noticed the boxes had a $0.75 peelie on each of them but then spaced it out at checkout and so did the checker apparently. When I got home, I noticed the peelies still stuck to the boxes, said "drat" and returned to the store to ask for the additional $1.50. The checker, bless her, gave me the additional credit on the bars and so the purchase price ended up being approx 35 cents or so for two boxes. Yay! Then on to Dollar General for some Venus razors with a 1/$1 MQ and a 1/$2 MQ. Then to Walgreen's for Butterball Bacon with another MQ. Returned home and noticed that the checker at Dollar General only gave me a $2 credit instead of the $3 per the MQ's. Again, off to the Dollar General to recoup a lost dollar. There was a new checker by this time who had no prob handing over the dollar, no questions. Back to Walgreen's since I was near the store again and this time to pick up an eyeshadow by Revlon that was on sale and for which I now had a SQ. The item rang up higher than the advertised price and the checker referred me to the store manager. Another dollar in my hand from the error. To Kroger later that day to pick up some Ball Park Franks, for which I had a DQ, and a few other items. Should have followed the trend of the day and checked out the receipt before I drove home. When I got home, I noticed the DQ wasn't credited on the receipt. Back to the store and alas the courtesy booth had just closed. Went to the cashier and explained the prob. After much ado, he called another checker over and she said just come back tomorrow and we'll sort it out then. I told them about the missing dollars all day and having to double back to recoup the money from CVS, Dollar General, and Walgreens, and that this was my second trip to Kroger's. She says, "You know what? I'm just going to give you your dollar right now." My husband remarked that I was probably using the money on gas for the car, but I reminded him that all of these stores are very near our house. So, I ended up with $5 in cash in my wallet (a rarity). I felt it was well worth it to track down the missed savings. The moral of my story is always check the receipt before driving off. I never follow the rule though because it is so darned hot this summer in Houston! I would rather study the receipts at the dining room table in the air conditioned house.
Sounds like the stars were in alignment, huh? I'm not an astrologer, but something was going on that you had that many missing dollars in a day only to be paid back to you. Wow, you had to work for what you should have received in the first place. Thanks for sharing.

Good advice on checking your receipt before leaving a store. (Reminds me I hope the Roche candies were the price that were listing on the shelf, just checked yep, the rang up right. Sorry got side tracked.) I still forget to do this or am lazy some days. Glad you were able to get all of your transactions worked out.

Old 07-29-2014, 07:19 PM

My Mood/Status:
OK so not a big trip. Living of the stock pile for a bit just to widdle it down got some great deals on chicken and beef.Some items I bought some I didn't.
Orville Redenbachers singles .93 up from .88
Velvetta 6.49
Hormel bacon bits 1.88 up from 1.50
Morning star products 3.21
Wesson oil 64 oz 3.99 I don't think that a good deal but they had them piled up at the front.
KT tape 6.89
pop tarts 8 pk 1.50
Kibbles and Bits dog food.17.6 lbs 9.99 with a MQ off 2/1 so 7.99. I think that is a good deal for us.I tried Purina pro plan and he really did not like that at all.I got it on huge sale I also had the 8.00/1 IPs so for me it was like a dollar a bag.They still have a ton of that brand on sale with 4/1 peelies. I think I might get some for donation when the 25% sale starts.I'm just not sure if I should. My dog will eat almost anything and if he doesn't like it it might be just a waste of money for us and a waste of a chance for dog food for whomever gets the donation.
Oh on the positive side I got a new clerk at the commy,She was either trained very well which I don't see happening since the old hires are still messing up.Or she knows about coupons nothing phased her I had clearance, overage, IPs. MQs and she did it with a smile not the usual I hate you your taking money out of my pocket type we all know and well know
Everything else was the same as what has been already posted
Old 08-07-2014, 10:32 AM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Any trips lately...good, crazy, bad we would love to hear how it went!

Old 09-16-2014, 08:51 AM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Had to take back expired Sunny D (be sure to check all expirations before buying) and a potted flower plant. Glad I got caught up for the day early in the morning. I bought the plant at the commy on Friday and by Monday it was a dying mess. I'm not sure if the heat affected it or it was diseased. It looked good when I bought it. No questions asked at customer service so that was nice. Has anyone else had problems buying plants? Stay cool today, it is another sweltering day here. UGH!

Old 09-16-2014, 10:33 AM

My Mood/Status:
Thanks for the heads up on the Sunny D. Also I'm jelly they took out our garden/outdoor zone around 4 years ago when they did a massive overhaul.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:11 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Trip from Today

Took a trip today and was talking to one of the distributors. She told me that one of the military patrons was caught selling items from the commissary. Not sure all that happened, but it is kind of annoying that others take advantage of their privileges just to make a buck! UGH! She also said that they were given out less coupons because of it. I'm not sure how far it went because I didn't see a difference in the commissary, but I know some abuse the system. All I can say is don't take your commissary or base privileges for granted and if you see someone doing something wrong report it.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:54 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Not sure if you were shopping on Saturday, but it was so nice here. I think everyone was either resting after Black Friday shopping or resting from their yummy Thanksgiving dinner and family fun. Anyone else shopping at the commissary this weekend?

Old 12-04-2014, 08:30 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Had to stop at TG tonight for last minute bread and milk, talk about sticker shock. It is so funny because sometimes in the commissary I stop and say "I'm not going to buy that today because it is too much". Even w/q's it was too much and couldn't cut the commissaries price. Anyone else notice this, too?

Love that commissary shopping, looking forward to another trip soon. Maybe tomorrow?

Old 12-14-2014, 10:19 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Made it over to the commissary yesterday after the Holiday Party on base (had a fun time!), but found that the base registers were having problems meaning long lines, and unhappy shoppers, plus debit was shot for some. The line was all the way in the produce and back into the freezer section. It was crazy...not much to report because of the craziness. I did get a little grief on buying cereal I was buying from one of the other patron's shopping, I'm thinking he was jealous. I was just happy to get out of there alive...HAHAHA!

Need to take another trip either Tuesday or Wednesday, still working on another birthday party and cookie platters for friends and teachers this week. I continue to report what I find. Hope you are ready for Christmas and New Years.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:35 AM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
My visit yesterday was nice because it was pretty quiet in the store, (love morning shopping), the only issue I had was that the cashier took all the coupons and spread them out everywhere she could find a cleared space. UGH! I was just so grateful that all went through even the Cascade that she was thinking was a sample/travel size (she must not use this brand the bottle isn't tiny), but check out was way too long. Sorry commissary patron behind me. I'm thinking that she must have had an issue in the past and wanted to be thorough.

Would love to hear your experiences at the commissary or exchange...good, bad, or ugly! We learn from others how to be more patient, kind, and considerate. Please feel free to share if you would like.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:07 AM

My Mood/Status:
Last week at the NEX The Gilette Fusion was on clearance 1.98 with the clearance price tags (use with the 2/1 MQ) but no Joke on the same shelf was the same product on sale for 2.49 complete with a sale tag.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:07 AM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Side note--off topic not related to the commissary, my DH brought home last night a set of napkins-4-pk that his co-worker gave him (she gives me her inserts that she doesn't need and in return I usually give her goodies throughout the year) anyway she got them for $0.90 from Sam's Club. She is a single lady and doesn't stockpile, but I mentioned to my DH what a great deal that was. I would have jumped on that one especially with how many napkins were go through in a month. She also mentioned that dishwasher tabs were less than a buck there, too. I guess they were getting rid of the inventory on those products.

Not sure if you are Sam's Club members or not, but what great deals. Wish we had one here, but at least we are close to a Costco.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:14 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Took another trip today...not sure if the full moon is out today, but I haven't seen so many kids in the commissary in a long time. I felt at home. Most trips I have kids. It was quite busy, super bowl weekend, pay day--I guess!

One of the patrons was telling her DH "no" to buying tater tots. He kept saying he wanted them and she would say no. Keep in mind these are adults and not a mother and child. She was treating him like a man-child. Finally after telling her that he wanted them, she told him to get them if he wanted them. It was a little funny, I must say. It made me realize I shouldn't do that to my spouse either. Why is that the mother/boss thoughts comes out occasionally? Makes you think the next time you are tempted to do that, too.

Tell us your trips...would love to hear them.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:34 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Took a trip last Wednesday. On one of the aisles it got a little hairy trying to navigate around the other shoppers. At one particular pass, I had to get around an older couple. In the process, I learned a lot about this couple. The man was retired Navy of twenty years, served in Vietnam. This couple was very interesting to listen to because they had many years of experience in life situations.

One of the things that peaked my attention was when they told me that each month, they along with a few members of their church go to an area (I can't remember the name) where soldiers are shortly shipping out for overseas. The ladies bake around 8,000 cookies for the soldiers (2 per soldier) and then talk to them (every month). They let them know that they appreciate their service and care about they are doing. The man also said that he helps them because he knows what they are doing and what are going through before a deployment. The woman said that one young man said she looked like his grandma and he wanted a hug.

This warmed my heart because this couple were really making a difference in helping others. These may seem small, but it means so much to these soldiers. Some don't have supportive families, so this might be the greatest encouragement they get from home.

Have you met someone like this lately? Remember to thank a veteran, it is amazing how many have sacrificed their time, talents, and knowledge in fighting for freedom. Thank you.

Last edited by sav4dzn; 03-28-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:25 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Still trying to figure out when I can take a trip this weekend. Hopefully the monthly MIL q's are out this time. Still working on the last days of school here and taking care of kids!

Old 03-13-2016, 06:06 PM

My Mood/Status:
So it seems that training is slacking at the commissary again.Between not knowing about overage and being able to take "funny looking" made at home coupons AKA IP coupons from coupons.com it was enough to make my head pound.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:48 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
I try and find the best cashiers because I had the same issues, too. The older folks seems to get angry when they think are getting away with something even though you are following the rules. I think the best cashiers are the young folks. JMO!

Old 03-15-2016, 11:15 AM

My Mood/Status:
I agree it's just they had been doing so well with training after that addendum came out a couple of years ago. Now it's just gone again. Cashiers should at least know that overage is OK and what those "funny homemade" coupons are LOL good thing I didn't use recycled paper for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav4dzn View Post
I try and find the best cashiers because I had the same issues, too. The older folks seems to get angry when they think are getting away with something even though you are following the rules. I think the best cashiers are the young folks. JMO!