Food Network -Sandra's Money Saving Meals

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 01:01 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Food Network -Sandra's Money Saving Meals

I am just curious if anyone has watched this show?

If you haven't seen it " Sandra's Money Saving Meals, features incredible budget-friendly recipes for every day of the week, all based on her "triple A factor" of being accessible, aspirational and affordable. To maximize cost-saving success, she shares unique ideas for savvy supermarket shopping and proper pantry stocking while highlighting each meal's unbeatable total price point."

The episode I saw they other day had a meal tally of something like 16.50 and fed 4 people but it got me thinking 16.50 X 7= $115.00 in groceries just for dinners per week! So that doesn't include breakfast, lunch, snacks or drinks at all. Obviously, that is without coupons but that meals doesn't seem all that budget friendly to me. I have also seen her make meals that cost almost $20.00.

Just wondered what other people thought of the show from a saving money perspective?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seirith For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 01:22 PM

RE: Food Network -Sandra's Money Saving Meals

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
capemayfan has posted more than 150 good deals!capemayfan has posted more than 150 good deals!
I personally don't think that the show has terrific money saving ideas. Like you stated, the cost per week does not include anything other than dinners! I can't imagine spending this much money per week just for one meal a day. Maybe those folks who don't coupon or try to live frugally think her ideas are money saving?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to capemayfan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
She's been around for quite awhile. She discovered things and seems to think none of us know any of it. Her regular show, where she always did a tablescape was all too matchy matchy for my taste (right down to her dress).

I'm no teetotaler but that girl likes her drinks. No meal ever went without alcohol - even for kids parties! Those did include a kid friendly version but still.

And I always could do better on meal prices on that show. I put it down to high prices in California. She did a lot of chicken at $3.99/lb. I can get it for far less on sale.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2014, 10:28 AM

Aaron's Mom

My Mood/Status:
Carravetta72 has posted more than 10 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock View Post
She's been around for quite awhile. She discovered things and seems to think none of us know any of it. Her regular show, where she always did a tablescape was all too matchy matchy for my taste (right down to her dress).

I'm no teetotaler but that girl likes her drinks. No meal ever went without alcohol - even for kids parties! Those did include a kid friendly version but still.

And I always could do better on meal prices on that show. I put it down to high prices in California. She did a lot of chicken at $3.99/lb. I can get it for far less on sale.
Yes, I agree she does love her booze and not the cheap stuff either. She made this drink once I really wanted to try that had pear brandy in it. That stuff cost $50 a bottle! To this day i have not tried that cocktail.
I also agree with the pricing being very high but I was told (by a friend that works for a cooking show) that price points have to be the retail price and not a sales price so a non-couponing, non- sale price hunting person would know what the cost would be. (Can you believe those people still exist? LOL). That is why they usually state in the show that if you use coupons or shop the sales you could save even more per plate.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carravetta72 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2014, 07:05 PM

My Mood/Status:
bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I heard that she changes the background for every show....the dishes, matches pieces, etc. that is on display behind her.....and yes, she loves her booze...her tablescapes are a bit much....I love a nice table but she does go to the extreme...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bookwormpeg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2014, 07:32 PM

Blessed by the Lord
Jesus's friend

My Mood/Status:
shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I never heard of the show. I do make a few things that seem expensive. If you add in how many meals it makes it is not bad. For example I make a huge pot of Gumbo with shrimp, sausage and chicken. Only a few times a year as I can't afford to pay that all upfront all the time. It costs about $35 but it makes 5 meals for 5 people. So we eat until it is gone. Which sounds awful but we love it as we are originally from New Orleans. It is a staple food there.

I love to pray for others. If you need prayers please send me a PM and please keep me in your prayers/
Old 02-20-2014, 11:28 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think we all have that meal we have to have occasionally despite the price! I love lamb, well lamb chop dinner (4 chops) at Outback is $25. I'm the only one who eats lamb in the house so I've splurged twice for my birthday.

We also make homemade Philly cheesesteaks twice a year. Ribeye runs $6-7 a pound.