Buying Our First Camper, Need Advice Please.

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 02:32 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Buying our first camper, need advice please.

We're looking to purchase a camper for the very first time. My family consists of myself, husband, 2 dogs that will camp with us, 2 out of school grown young adults, who might on occasion spend a few hours with us at a campsite.

I'm wanting to know who has a camper?

How often do you get the chance to use it?

Was it worth the investment of money and your time being away from home?

Is it costly to operate or stay places with your camper?

Do you and your family enjoy it?

We are looking at putting it in a campground on a seasonal campsite in which you just park it there for the entire season for one flat cost.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's such a substantial purchase to make.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-13-2014, 06:57 PM

RE: Buying our first camper, need advice please.

My Mood/Status:
Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Hi - just saw your post today... I'd be happy to talk campers and camping with you all day long

Quote:
Originally Posted by posiespocketbook View Post

I'm wanting to know who has a camper?

We do We started with a Travel Trailer in 2002 and switched to a Hybrid Travel Trailer in 2007.

How often do you get the chance to use it?

About 40 nights a season. We live in the upper midwest so our camping season runs from about May-early October.

Was it worth the investment of money and your time being away from home?

Well this is a YMMV kind of situation. For us, YES, 1000 times over. We have two young kids, and we have had so many wonderful family memories in our camper. I love that we can travel and have our own little home on wheels. I love that, even with the higher gas costs, camping is cheaper than staying in hotels and eating in restaurants.

When we are at home, we tend to go our separate ways (sometimes we have three tv's going at once!). When we're camping we spend quality time together. It gets us off our butts, even the dog!

Is it costly to operate or stay places with your camper?

More costly than staying home? Yes. More costly than staying in hotels and eating in restaurants? Probably not, partly depending on your tastes in campers Plus, I know who has slept in the bed, and who has used the bathroom- oh and who has cleaned it (ME).

There are several types of campgrounds, from state and county parks for $20 a night to high-end RV Resorts that can run $100 a night. Just depends on what you prefer and what you want to spend.

Do you and your family enjoy it?

YES!

We are looking at putting it in a campground on a seasonal campsite in which you just park it there for the entire season for one flat cost.

This may be a great option for you especially if you're just starting out!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's such a substantial purchase to make.
One piece of advice, if you haven't already researched it, is to do your homework and know what you can comfortably tow with your tow vehicle. Even if you use a seasonal site, you'll want to be able to safely transport the camper back and forth. And, you may want to travel with it for future trips. Don't go by what the RV Dealership salesperson tells you, because they will try to upsell you into a heavier camper (read: more expensive) every time.

If this is allowed, I'd like to share a link to a message board run by the Good Sam Club. It's RV.Net RV and Camping Forum ? RV, Trailer, Camper, Motorhome, Camping and Campground Information. There are several forums on every topic you could imagine. Over there I am Minn Camping Family.

Let me know if you have any other questions & happy camper hunting
Old 02-14-2014, 08:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!posiespocketbook has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Thanks so much. I checked out the site you recommended .
The Following User Says Thank You to posiespocketbook For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2014, 08:15 AM

Happiness is...puppy kisses x2!

My Mood/Status:
StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Welcome to the camping family!

In addition to everything Tonia said above (good advice, btw), I would also be happy to answer any questions I can. We bought our first camper in 1998 and have never looked back. For the first 8 (?) years or so we traveled with our camper A LOT with two kids and a dog. When we were not traveling the camper was set up in an rv park where we rented our pad by the year. The last several years we've left it on the lot year round where we do use it regularly.

While you don't want a camper that is too big for you to tow, you do want one that's big enough to move around in. Definitively consider slide outs when choosing your camper, especially if traveling with pets. They take up more floor space than you realize!

Will you be doing a lot of cooking? Be sure to check if the rv you are looking at has an oven. I always took ours for granted until BIL and SIL bought their first camper and just assumed they all come with an oven...theirs did not. We don't use it often, but we do use it!!

Same goes for the overhead storage. Just don't buy one without those small cabinets around the edge of the ceiling.

Most of all, though, just enjoy yourself and your new toy!

2014 in 2014 current total: 430 down, 1584 to go!
The Following User Says Thank You to StLouisClipper For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2014, 05:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
I posted this in the crafts section but thought I would share here too. We did buy a camper in feb. Still too cold to start painting inside so I decided to try my hand at re covering the kitchen chairs. I'm using vintage grain and flour sacks.

image-3851051615.jpg

image-310115164.jpg
Old 04-07-2014, 06:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
What a great way to use the flour sacks! Great idea!
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonia For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2014, 08:54 AM

My Mood/Status:
LizzyBizzy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!LizzyBizzy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!LizzyBizzy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!LizzyBizzy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!LizzyBizzy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!LizzyBizzy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!LizzyBizzy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Congrats on getting a camper! We go camping a lot and I usually do most of the cooking to feed the crew.

My best suggestions would be to invest in Crockpots, electric skillets and a roaster oven. These can be set up outside the camper to keep the interior cool while cooking (and to cut down on greasy vapors). Most recipes can be cooked in a roaster oven just like a regular oven. I also use a Crockpot outside to heat water for doing dishes and use it as a "sink."

Cooking, eating and washing up outside the camper saves a lot of running inside and out (and letting the flies in).

While gas is expensive and towing a camper really cuts into the truck's MPG, seeing areas of the country from the "back roads" can be quite an adventure.

Many Wal-Marts, Cabella (sp ?) outfitter stores and the like are usually fine with letting you "camp" overnight in their parking lots (for free!). We simply ask for the manager to get their permission. We have also pulled into truck plazas to overnight while on the road. Since most semis keep their diesel motors and lights running all night, we try to get a corner spot in the way back to cut down on the noise (but, free is free).

We also tote several box fans for when it is buggy or very hot. Simply set up a fan on the picnic table and one underneath by your legs to blow away the flies, mosquitoes, etc. and to keep a cooling breeze going while you are eating or just enjoying the view (and to blow smoke from the fire away).

We also use solar garden lights a lot, especially when camping in remote spots where there is no electricity. We simply bring them in after dark to save the camper's batteries from doing all the indoor lighting.

Have fun this season in your new camper!

LizzyBizzy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizzyBizzy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2014, 07:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
cramos28 has posted more than 200 great deals!cramos28 has posted more than 200 great deals!cramos28 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Cool! Im currently working for goodsam! Im n rv training bearly, hopefully if and when u call us we will b able to help u!

Sent from my iPhone using afullcup.com