Watch Oprah Wednesday- Freegan Lifestyle

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2008, 10:13 PM

RE: Watch Oprah Wednesday- Freegan lifestyle

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Supporting Member

Kcash69 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kcash69 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kcash69 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kcash69 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kcash69 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kcash69 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Kcash69 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
The New York dumpsters/trash carts looked like the stores were just placing the items in carts to avoid being sued for actually giving it away. That was some clean looking trash.
I doubt the stores in the lower class neighborhoods where the people actually need the food set it out all nice and neat like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kcash69 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 10:29 PM

Will work for pamper points!

My Mood/Status:
marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!marbear has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I grew up in a regular household (we did not make political statements except voting or putting up a campaign sign at election time). My parents had their own animals, egg laying chickens, and vegetable garden. For a time we had cows to milk, honey bees for honey, sugar cane for our own sugar, and we even made our own corn meal from our corn ground at the stone mill down the road. My mom sewed a lot of our things, reused grocery store bags, cool whip containers, and even tried to save the t.p. when our yard got rolled (I put my foot down on this). My parents did this way before it got cool and they did it better. My "total square" parents put these people to shame, yet I have a feeling my parents would be judged by these types of people b/c they did not attach a political viewpoint to their frugality/simpler ways. It all seems like it's drama for the sake of drama...like those girls in college (and I went to a woman's college so that's not sexist) who said they were a vegetarian but they could eat fish because they weren't cute (true story).
The Following User Says Thank You to marbear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2008, 11:04 PM

is ready for spring!!
Starving Writer/Student

My Mood/Status:
Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Samantha85VA has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I am sitting here with the flu the other day watching this and honestly it made me sick... I couldnt think about living like that. They are sneaking around like criminals int eh dark looking for food in dumps.... no thank you

I freecycle a lot, I go to thrift stores and shop for the best deals no matter what Im looking for, but these people were SERIOUS.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:04 PM

My Mood/Status:
tnkl4hisl3
I did of course watch the show and I was impressed with all the very nice and new food that those stores threw away. I can tell you one thing, you won't find that here in Arkansas. You won't find nothing but trash in the dumpsters here. We have salvage stores that sell day old, bent cans, expired, etc. People here have to be frugal because of need not want to. If I could go to a dumpster like those in NYC, I would NEVER buy ANY food but I know that that isn't a real scenario that can happen in rural parts of the US.
The Following User Says Thank You to tnkl4hisl3 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2008, 07:47 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
suzyqwerty1234 has posted more than 150 good deals!suzyqwerty1234 has posted more than 150 good deals!
in the 80s, my parents used to get stuff out of dumpster ( books ,shoes, toys, Not food). First it is illegal, second back then the employees cut up the shoes, tore off the cover from the books, ripped up the toy boxes. Just so people couldn't use them. how wasteful I haven't tried it yet- but have thought about it for non-food items.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzyqwerty1234 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-03-2008, 09:13 AM

My Mood/Status:
tnkl4hisl3
I was wondering if it was illegal myself. Years ago a friend of mine and I would get into a local store's dumpster where they would throw away all the real flower plants that weren't perfect and then go plant them at our houses. They always did well. Then the stores started locking and putting signs on them saying it was illegal to take from OR to dump in their dumpsters. (My friend would always throw her bagged trash in there).
Old 12-12-2011, 03:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
SisterIt has posted more than 150 good deals!SisterIt has posted more than 150 good deals!
I have to agree with some of this. We don't have tv so I didn't get to watch this.
I do pick up the "old food" from the grocery store. It's mostly fruit and vegetables that they put out for the farmers. Most of it is great. I dehydrate a lot of it. The rest is passed along to my friend that has pigs or composted.
I do dumpster dive occassionally. I belong to freecycle.
I use coupons, shop sales and there are certain companies that I refuse to support..so no..even if I got it free I would not use it.
We mostly wear gifted clothing or clothing from thrift shops. However, I just purchased my 3 year old some long sleeve thermal shirts at Kohls for only $1...so I purchased several sizes ahead. We live in the mountains in the Northwest so it's cold!
I don't know that I would eat food out of a dumpster unless it was sealed or something like that. then again, maybe I've never been that poor..but we've certainly been poor enough to make me never want to be there again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mom to Johnathan 2, Thomas 3, Sophie 6, Ann 9, Sarah 9, Christopher 19, Jason 21 and Brandy 26. Wife of almost 23 years to my Sweetheart, Doug.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2012 YTD Savings $255.62
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SisterIt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2011, 09:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dianiagay has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I wonder where to find each state law on dumpster diving

Tags
freegan, lifestyle, oprah, watch, wednesday