Opinions On Prepaid Cell Phones

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 07:27 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
danielsgirl has posted more than 400 great deals!danielsgirl has posted more than 400 great deals!danielsgirl has posted more than 400 great deals!danielsgirl has posted more than 400 great deals!danielsgirl has posted more than 400 great deals!
Help Sign opinions on prepaid cell phones

I am looking to go with a prepaid cell phone for myself and to get my husband phone also. Currently we have only one phone (mine) but with the birth of our first child rapidly approaching we decided that he needs one too. I would like any and all opinions on the different companies that you have tried.

I am hoping to find phones that will give us Unlimited Talk and Texts (the texts are optional for his phone) and I would like to keep my existing phone number (currently with verizon- have been a customer with them for 12 years and they will not let me keep my number if I switch from a contract to a prepaid. But was told that ATT and Boost and some others will)

So please let me know who you think is the best prepaid, who will let me keep my current number and what you currently pay....(and if you have to pay per day for use or if that is covered with like a $50.00 prepay month plan)

I hope this isn't too confusing. LOL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danielsgirl For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-13-2011, 08:25 AM

RE: opinions on prepaid cell phones

My Mood/Status:
andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!
We just switched to T-Mobile unlimited everything (minutes, data, text) for $50 per line. You need to check the area because some towns don't get great coverage. If you buy the phone on your own, it's considered prepaid and you don't have to sign the 2 year plan. We got ours on E-bay because the Craigslist prices were insane.

Last edited by andreana01; 10-13-2011 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Syntax
The Following User Says Thank You to andreana01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Verizon just released a 50$ a month plan prepaid.

I would not recommend straight talk unless you know the coverage in your area and you don't mind not having great data.

I'm a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
who is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
The Following User Says Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 10:42 AM

My Mood/Status:
momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Straight Talk has unlimited talk, unlimited text,unlimited data for 45.00 month
My dd has had there service for over a yr.She loves it.
The Following User Says Thank You to momabrown3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DawnG has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momabrown3 View Post
Straight Talk has unlimited talk, unlimited text,unlimited data for 45.00 month
My dd has had there service for over a yr.She loves it.
My son, daughter in law, and my mother all this and they love it! $45.00 a month gets you unlimited eveything which is way better than AT&T!!

“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, drink in the other
, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOO HOO what a ride!”
The Following User Says Thank You to DawnG For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 02:26 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
We switched our Sprint/Nextel phone numbers to Boost. That is crap that they can't transfer a phone number they are just being lazy - it is a Federal law that they have to let you port a number - however, you must be paid current and out of contract to port the number. I LOVE my Boost phone except for the monthly text reminder to pay the bill and when your payment goes through they send another text. I don't text alot so it is annoying. It is unlimited everything with Boost. You should check their website before making any choices if you have Sprint coverage in your area they are on the same network. Sprint will tell you it is not the same but trust me it is the same and I actually get better reception with my Boost Android phone than I did my old Nextel phone. www.boostmobile.com
The Following User Says Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 03:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hbaqueen has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Straight talk for $45 a month unlimited text, talk, web and 411
The only negatives:
I bought the $99 phone so I could use web and web is dinosaur slow and 411 has no real operator so sometimes you have to try a few times before the computer understands the number you want. Had to contact CS once and it was not a USA call center with a person who was extremely difficult to talk with. They just kept saying the same written lines and wouldnt (or couldnt) answer my question.

But Talk and Text are EXCELLENT. Had At+T and whatever it was before they got bought out then switched again since 1997 and I get just as good of phone service with the straightalk as I ever did same service area same dead spots ect.

And love the price!

DH has AT+T prepaid $60 a month Talk n Text no web or 411 but he got to keep his phone number that we have had for years.
The Following User Says Thank You to hbaqueen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 03:11 PM

mrs.p has posted more than 200 great deals!mrs.p has posted more than 200 great deals!mrs.p has posted more than 200 great deals!
We also use straight talk. If you go to the straight talk website, they often have free or very cheap refurbished phones with the purchase of a phone card.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs.p For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 03:20 PM

Looking for lego sales!
Always looking for Rebate forms!!!

My Mood/Status:
justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Straight talk sucks where we live wont verizon let you add a line for 9.99 might b cheaper that way

Proud Mommy to DD (14)
, DS (9)
and It's A GIRL!!!! 5/12/10 my 6 lb. preemie!
and He's HERE 9/27/11
Old 10-13-2011, 03:26 PM

texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Straight talk works off the Verizon cell towers so if you have good coverage with Verizon, you should have the same coverage with Straight Talk. DD and I have Straight talk. She has unlimited and I usually get the $30.00 card which is 1000 minutes, 1000 text messages and a little data. I have bought the $45.00 card a few times when I know I will use my phone more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texasdee For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2011, 04:58 PM

My Mood/Status:
tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!tamnmar has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
My husband and I both use Net10. My husband has been using it for the last 3 years and he loves it. We both have the unlimited talk and text, which is $50 a month, but sometimes if we are low on money for the month, I will just get the 750 minutes, which is $25.

We have been very happy with Net10 and have NEVER had any issues with reception in different areas. We live in Indiana and my husband has called me from NY, CA, TX.. etc.. with no problems.

Their phones are also much cheaper than Smart Talk phones. We both have this phone from walmart NET10 Prepaid Cell Phone, LG 900 - Walmart.com
(12 yrs old)
(8yrs old)
Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I don't know about current Verizon family plans, but if they have a good plan (w/text, mobile 2 mobile, etc.) u may want to consider adding a line for $9.99 a month for your husband.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:07 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
FYI before you sign up for any of the prepaids go to one of their local stores (not Walmart) and inquire if they have any used phones. We buy used Boost phones if we have one that breaks or gets lost (the boss has lost his once and drown another one). Huge price difference and we have never had a problem with one of the used phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Remy3188 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I have been with virgin mobile for 8+ years now and have been happy with them. I don't really talk much considering my age (i'm 23). But I do a lot of texting. I pay for the $25 a month plan which has 300 anytime minutes, unlimited text, photos and data. Phones range in price too, so you only have to shell out $99 if you want the nicer ones they offer.

I save so much money with prepaid and everytime I think about switching, VM always seems to have the best deals for me. I think prepaid is a great idea for those who want to cut costs or to talk on a budget. Not everyone needs an iphone.
The Following User Says Thank You to Remy3188 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2011, 09:21 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy3188 View Post
I have been with virgin mobile for 8+ years now and have been happy with them. I don't really talk much considering my age (i'm 23). But I do a lot of texting. I pay for the $25 a month plan which has 300 anytime minutes, unlimited text, photos and data. Phones range in price too, so you only have to shell out $99 if you want the nicer ones they offer.

I save so much money with prepaid and everytime I think about switching, VM always seems to have the best deals for me. I think prepaid is a great idea for those who want to cut costs or to talk on a budget. Not everyone needs an iphone.
I have had phones with contracts (Sprint & AT&T) and I prefer my prepaid - especially since it is everything unlimited. Mine is actually paid for by my employer and he was surprised how much we saved by switching to prepaid and we actually get more features. My guys love the fact that they can send me a picture of something they need questions answered about and it is not an extra charge. On our old plans with Sprint those would have been $ 2.50 each. We now get 3 phone services for what we use to pay for just one phone service with Sprint. Gotta love that savings. Plus if we want to cancel a phone service we just stop paying the bill no penalties no bills for cancelling a contract.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:18 PM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Great thread, danielsgirl.
Old 10-16-2011, 02:36 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbaqueen View Post
Straight talk for $45 a month unlimited text, talk, web and 411
The only negatives:
I bought the $99 phone so I could use web and web is dinosaur slow and 411 has no real operator so sometimes you have to try a few times before the computer understands the number you want. Had to contact CS once and it was not a USA call center with a person who was extremely difficult to talk with. They just kept saying the same written lines and wouldnt (or couldnt) answer my question.

But Talk and Text are EXCELLENT. Had At+T and whatever it was before they got bought out then switched again since 1997 and I get just as good of phone service with the straightalk as I ever did same service area same dead spots ect.

And love the price!

DH has AT+T prepaid $60 a month Talk n Text no web or 411 but he got to keep his phone number that we have had for years.

I agree. I even had a problem in major metro areas (NYC, Philadelphia AND Pittsburgh) with straight talk and the internet, as I said before is SLOW. Like awful slow.

I switched to them in November of 2010 and in February of this year I went back to Verizon.

Straight talk runs on verizons network, so its honestly supposed to be not different. Wrong.

My ex also had it and we could stand next to each other and I had 100% perfect service on my Droid X and he no service AT ALL on his straight talk, so like I said you really need to check your coverage area.

Also, I was told the phones have gotten far better lately, so thats a plus, I went from a Droid X to a phone so awful they apparently don't even sell it anymore.

For 45$ a month, it can't be beat for unlimited talk text and web, assuming you rarely leave your home area and you have good coverage.

But, as a warning I had to have them subpoeaned, and I had to go through TracFone (they own them) to get it. The Straight talk customer service was SO awful even my district attorney couldn't deal with it.

Wait times for service are in excess of 45 minutes at all times as well and if your phone breaks (which it will) you have to send it to them, wait for them to repair it or replace it and THEN get your phone back, they don't mail you a replacement first.

If you need to change your number for any reason, you need to wait until your phone card runs out, or you have to buy a new card because when you change to a new number, your a new account so you dont get the credit from the last phone number applied.

I'm a
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
Old 10-24-2011, 10:34 AM

Professional Fangirl

My Mood/Status:
medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I sued to have Virgin Mobile. They were the cheapest for us at the time for unlimited talk, text, pics. We were paying around 60 per line. But they often messed up their billing as I had automatic deductions and getting through to them was nightmare. I almost never had signal inside a store and my coverage was super spotty.

Boost has unlimited text but they deliver them through the internet so your texts aren't immediate and could be delayed for several hours if their system is running too many messages at a time.

ATT raises their rates on a steady basis, I started with them and when they jacked me up to 80 from 45, I left.

Currently, I am on a contract for Verizon, my plans are a little high as my husband and I both have smart phones that require data packs and his phone is unlimited data... but I chose verizon because everyone we know with a cell phone is on verizon and network calling is unlimited so it doesn't count against our minutes.

Old 10-24-2011, 11:23 AM

nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnmar
My husband and I both use Net10. My husband has been using it for the last 3 years and he loves it. We both have the unlimited talk and text, which is $50 a month, but sometimes if we are low on money for the month, I will just get the 750 minutes, which is $25.

We have been very happy with Net10 and have NEVER had any issues with reception in different areas. We live in Indiana and my husband has called me from NY, CA, TX.. etc.. with no problems.

Their phones are also much cheaper than Smart Talk phones. We both have this phone from walmart NET10 Prepaid Cell Phone, LG 900 - Walmart.com
We have Net10 too, just got them when our AT&T contract ended last month-- got DD a fourteen dollar LG that just does talk and text, found mine (a blackberry style LG) for $39 at Target. They do allow you to keep your old cell number (you can even take your old landline number and assign it to their cells).
Old 10-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwfrugalista View Post
We have Net10 too, just got them when our AT&T contract ended last month-- got DD a fourteen dollar LG that just does talk and text, found mine (a blackberry style LG) for $39 at Target. They do allow you to keep your old cell number (you can even take your old landline number and assign it to their cells).
You can port your number from a old cell or your landline on ANY cell service as long as your bill is current. That is a Federal law and has nothing to do with Net10 or any other cell carrier. That law went into effect quite a number of years ago.