A Need Encouragement For Packing/moving.

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 02:15 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Satori has posted more than 200 great deals!Satori has posted more than 200 great deals!Satori has posted more than 200 great deals!
A need encouragement for packing/moving.

Were moving into a bigger, brand new, energy efficient apt. Kids get there own rooms to boot so no more fights about sharing and access to the room. Also getting away from druggie mentally unstable neighbor from hell who keeps vandalizing my stuff. Praying I don't get new neighbors like her. oh yes, rent is nearly $200 LESS then what I pay now and is only 30% of my income. (Only 4 units in the entire complex get that awesome rate!) This will be a huge step up for us.

So whats the problem? We have NO IDEA when we are moving! Was supposed to be Monday, could still be Monday or it could be Friday or who knows! Construction keeps getting slowed down due to weather. Basically its, come sign your lease and get your keys! The day we need to move. Its stressing the heck out of me and I do not function well under stress. I still need to pack 80% of the house and I feel lost and clueless about how to pack with limited resources to pack and I have to get everything moved in 1 day because I can't afford double rents. The kids are not helping, 11 yr old just wants to play, 5 yr old is freaking out about packing her stuff up. I don't really think she gets "moving". Last time we moved she was barely 2. Did I mention I am seriously organizationally impaired? The one person who can help me is busy getting ready to move herself which is another stresser, My best friend of 10 years is moving away

ugh, I get stressed out and my mind just goes blank
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 03:46 PM

RE: A need encouragement for packing/moving.

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
We moved my sister (which later abused our generosity, but that's for another rant ), her Dh, my brother (who was living with them) and their 2 cats out and into our apt. in 6 hours! No help other than that of the people we were moving and ourselves.

Now, I screamed at the lazy so and so's because they were being evicted and hadn't the foresight that you at least do have. Stuff was thrown into boxes and bags without being wrapped. My Dh coordinated their furniture into the U-Haul that we provided and I barked orders about moving faster .

It can be done! You have all weekend, hun.

My suggestion: show the 5yr old how to pack quickly. Offer a small reward to the 11yr (the age of development! ) so he/she will start packing. If you have friends, recruiting works! Then kick in some good music and start 1 room at a time. Mark boxes with a perm marker. You have 48 hrs. Newspapers from friends or the local recycling center and boxes too!

You can do it! Congratulations on the new place!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fubu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Stealth
Old 10-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I know you should move Monday btw, but at least you'll be ready! If you lived in the greater kcmo area, I'd come and help!
Fubu
and Stealth
Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 AM

Professional Fangirl

My Mood/Status:
medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!medic2midwife has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm kind of stuck where you are right now. We started building a house in May, we were supposed to close and move September 23rd to find out the loan had never been written due to some miscommunication from my builder and lender. So everything was delayed about a month. Right now we're waiting on the VA to appraise the property, then we'll get a closing date, then we'll get a move date. I've been living in boxes for a month now and with my OCD style personality, it is literally making me itch. It's very stressful if you are organized or not.

Here is what I did. I sit down first and write a list of everything I need to do, I go room by room. That helped me see what I had to do and gather an appropriate time frame. I did a lot of tossing/donating/recycling before we moved. So I started just first going through everything, getting rid of stuff and seeing what was left over to be packed. That way I didn't bring junk to my new house or have to pay for a bigger truck I didn't need.

Next I packed room by room. I started with the smallest room and worked my way into it. I bought 30 large boxes (24 in x 18 in x 18 in) from lowes and got my hands on some closet boxes and dish boxes from a friend who was moving, you can get these at uhaul, I only got four of each. I moved a 5 person household, 3 bedroom plus garage house with just this after tossing stuff out. The large boxes aren't too big but aren't so small its a waste of money. Uhaul has a box buy back plan so you can return what you don't use. You can also check out craigslist for people getting rid of their boxes to get yours at a huge discount.

I left the boxes as I packed them in each room. I wrote on top of the box whos room it went to, a full list of what was inside and I dated it for that day. So I knew without having to cut open a zillion boxes for a stuffed animal which one it was in. I do the date things because I tend to keep boxes for storage so I know what is current in each box and the last time I opened that box/went through it.

I also did my stock pile this way and to be honest, my stock pile was most of my packing. Detailed list of what was inside so I could unpack that less important thing at my lesiure when I move.

Now I only have my dishes and our clothes left, then of course take apart furniture. Otherwise the entire house is done. I took my time so it took me about 4 days to completely finish. I worked at a very slow rate due to health issues so I wouldn't overwhelm my body.

Also.. do not skimp on folding the boxes in, buy tape. Lowes sells a giant multiple roll pack for around 12 bucks and if you can get your hands on a tape gun, I recomend it. My husband found one at work for me and I squealed bigger at that then I did at a diamond necklace I got for christmas about 9 years ago.

Just write the list first, see what you have to do. Sort and toss, then pack whats left room by room. Leave out what is absolutely necessary and pack that last.

ETA: For adding the kids.. I made mine go through their toys, they had to make two piles. Keep and donate, and the donate pile had to be bigger than the keep pile. After that I had one take pictures of the move. For your daughter who is getting uspet about her stuff being mixed up, give her some small boxes and let her pack her own stuff.

Last edited by medic2midwife; 10-12-2011 at 09:33 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:03 PM

My Mood/Status:
CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Let me just say I HATE moving.. We moved into our house a year and a half ago and I don't plan on moving any time soon.. Here's some advice:

1. Call your local stores to see if they can save boxes for you. Usually stores like WalMart and KMart and grocery stores are good about doing this. I have never paid for boxes when I've moved.

2. Write on each box the room that it belongs to (in the new house) and what is in each box. This will save a lot of time.

Best wishes to you!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
jenjenholley has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenjenholley has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenjenholley has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenjenholley has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenjenholley has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenjenholley has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenjenholley has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenjenholley has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jenjenholley has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
i've moved a lot in the last few years and here is a trick i use for clothes
get a box or plastic container
put in a trash bag
put in anything fabric clothes linens ect
put the nozzel of your vacum in the bag and suck out all the air
twist the bag top around to keep the air in and then tape the bag over and across all the way around

it's kinda like those space savers you see on tv but cheaper by putting the bag in a box it allows you to maintain a "shape" to the bag and they end up kinda cube like , by taping the bag afterwards when the bag gets a little hole in it your package will still stay nice and small because of the tape holding it together. It's nice and quick you don't have to pay for boxes that take up alot of room. when i do this to move my yarn stockpile i put a sock over the nozzel to keep it from sucking up the yarn threads. and all it takes is cheap trash bags ( cheap works as well as expensive so go cheap ) and some tape.