What To Do....

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Tatonka has posted more than 50 good deals
What to do....

I'm in a new city with new stores I've never been to an policy I'm unaware of. What to do when you're in a new place and are living as frugal as possible till you find work? Any advice welcome!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tatonka For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 PM

RE: What to do....

night owl :)

My Mood/Status:
sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!sugarloaf10 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
The first thing I do is create a pricebook of the major stores for my staple items. That gives me a feel for what a good price is in the area. I also look up all the thrift/consignment shops nearby and check those out to see if they are any good. And get a library card as soon as possible to take advantage of books, movies, and local resources. Libraries also often have information on public transit (if you use it or your city has it).

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4 (NIV)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sugarloaf10 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2011, 06:33 PM

It's the stuff that dreams are made of....

My Mood/Status:
noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'd look for frugal/money saving blogs that are local to your new area and of course, check out the forums here!
Old 09-29-2011, 07:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
Tatonka has posted more than 50 good deals
Thank you so much.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tatonka For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 AM

missmeglea has posted more than 300 great deals!missmeglea has posted more than 300 great deals!missmeglea has posted more than 300 great deals!missmeglea has posted more than 300 great deals!
I'm in the same situation...moved to Virginia from the Chicago area, so I basically spent a few weeks going to different grocery stores to see where the best prices are. (We're military, so I also wanted to compare store prices to the commissary.) I also make sure I look at every sale paper to get an idea of what is out there for a decent price! I'm new to this site (only been on here about a week!) but now that I have it, I don't have to do as much "leg work." This site really is a blessing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missmeglea For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 AM

nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would make a list of the chain groceries that are the most convenient for you, and then look at the forums on this site to see which has the best deals that week (also to find out if any stores double/triple and limits on how many coupons double per transaction, how many like coupons can be used, etc). Some geographic areas have lots of AFCers, so you might out out a thread asking if there are any other AFCers in your area who could give you some ideas of which stores are the most coupon-friendly.

In the meantime, if you're already familiar with one of the big three drugstore chains or one of the big box stores (target or WalMart), you can keep working the deals there as you learn the ropes for the new stores.

I moved from Seattle back to the East Coast last December, and it was a challenge at first (I STILL miss Albertson's since it was my first grocery with coupons LOL), but I have found that there are positives as well (I'd never had a super double or triple store until we came here )

Good luck with everything
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nwfrugalista For This Useful Post: