Cutting Cable

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 05:19 PM

RE: Cutting Cable

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Saving one day at a time

My Mood/Status:
EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha101 View Post
We dropped our cable and landline, and went with the cheapest package from directTV. Instead of Netflix we use Redbox. I don't spend $8 a month on movies as it stands, and the selection was never recent enough for my liking to stay with Netflix.
Ive spent the last two weeks watching Lost. We missed a couple episodes when it first aired and couldnt figure out what was going on anymore. Netflix is awesome for my 4 year old, she LOVES it! I havent ever used Redbox, maybe ill check it out. Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to EStimpert For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM

My Mood/Status:
saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
If someone could tell me how to get NFL Network without Cable I'd thank you forever. Our cables been off for a year since we cant afford it but we are sad about it because we cant see our games or get commentary, etc.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:54 PM

Laurenmeli has posted more than 100 good deals!Laurenmeli has posted more than 100 good deals!
I was just going to say you should checkout redbox, or blockbuster kiosk. I am always finding codes online for FREE nightly rentals. And for redbox anyway you can return it at any location. So if the walmart you got it at isn't on the way home but there's a wags with one, you can drop it there. (DVDONME is a code you can try for a free night) and a lot of the q blogs i follow have the codes. Netflix is a little more then hulu plus if you do the dvd's and streaming but just streaming is like 7.99/mp and they have a free trial too. Plus plenty of kid friendly channels, documentaries, tv series... I love it, i had it when i had no cable and it was very worth it. Also try asking at work who has tv series that they've bought! You'd be surprised how many people buy the things!
The Following User Says Thank You to Laurenmeli For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2011, 07:16 PM

Just trying to stay cool...

My Mood/Status:
duckie has posted more than 200 great deals!duckie has posted more than 200 great deals!duckie has posted more than 200 great deals!
Love this thread! My husband and I are saving for a house (renting from the in-laws right now so we have "free" cable. I love the idea of NOT having it once we move out. I have a few shows I like but I could watch online. My hubby however would not do that well. He hates watching stuff on the computer. Does hooking it up to the TV work pretty well?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for 1 year, "parents" to Laguna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:39 AM

Saving one day at a time

My Mood/Status:
EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!EStimpert has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie
Love this thread! My husband and I are saving for a house (renting from the in-laws right now so we have "free" cable. I love the idea of NOT having it once we move out. I have a few shows I like but I could watch online. My hubby however would not do that well. He hates watching stuff on the computer. Does hooking it up to the TV work pretty well?
We got a cable and all it does it makes it like the tv is a second monitor, very simple!
Old 08-31-2011, 06:47 AM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckie View Post
He hates watching stuff on the computer. Does hooking it up to the TV work pretty well?
check under hot deal if the HDMI cable GDA is still there. You need that one to hook your pc tower to your TV and then you're set. as long as your pc has the minimum requirements for streaming (high RAM is advisable) You can even use your TV as a huge pc monitor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2011, 12:14 PM

Saving one day at a time

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmamabear View Post
check under hot deal if the HDMI cable GDA is still there. You need that one to hook your pc tower to your TV and then you're set. as long as your pc has the minimum requirements for streaming (high RAM is advisable) You can even use your TV as a huge pc monitor
It is still is $1.75, I just ordered it. I won an Amazon Gift card and used it for the cable and baseball card holders to make a bigger binder. I LOVE free stuff

Last edited by EStimpert; 08-31-2011 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I havent had cable for over two years, and had no laptop or tv (owning) for eight months. (I moved in with family recently to help take care of him and he does have a tv with basic cable and a laptop)

I honestly just went to the library and got dvds (free dvds, who would have thought, and they are GOOD!) and now I use hulu (I can't convince him to cancel cable yet though, he has that 3 way package thing) and another website, which streams, but I can't mention here.

It was the best decision ever. I was paying at cheapest 50$ a month for my cable with DVR (promo) and 8$ a month is the BEST! Also if you add netflix streaming, or just dvd, you can supplement easily, what you can't get on huluplus.

Its amazing, plus its like free dvr because you watch when YOU want!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
The Following User Says Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Saving one day at a time

My Mood/Status:
I'm doing well so far without cable, It was just a mental thing that I had to get over in getting rid of it in the first place. Thanks everyone for the support and advice.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:48 PM

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be...
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We have never had anything but basic cable. And we could probably do without that. We rent DVD's (Redbox, not Netflix) if we want to watch a movie. Life holds so much more than watching what's next on TV.

Just wait and see - you'll be healthier and happier.

The Following User Says Thank You to BlueMoon187 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 07:24 PM

andrea044027 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I got rid of my cable about 3 weeks ago. Have not missed it at all! I have had Netflix for years and have been very happy with it. I will put in a favorite movie (one that I've seen several times) as background noise while I clean or get other things done around the house. I also used to get caught up in the news and politics (very depressing). I read the news online to stay up to date. I don't need to watch talking heads debate every facet of an issue to know what's going on in the world.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrea044027 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 07:32 PM

RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I ditched my cable last year, and I have had no regrets. We have Netflix, which I enjoy. Have seen programs on there that I probably never would have ever seen with cable. The kids find many of their programs online. I used to tape seasons of shows, and would start watching, get bored of it and never finish. I had reservations about cutting the cable, but it has been fine. There are so many more things to do in life than watch T.V. (like coupon?!).

& mom to 3
, wife to a wonderful man
who loves
... living with

and our

whom we

~I got a fever, and the only cure is....more coupons!~
The Following User Says Thank You to RNSAMRN For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2011, 08:22 AM

Saving one day at a time

My Mood/Status:
Its been almost a month now and I do not regret it at all. There's been a few times I felt like it was an adjustment, but nothing too badly. Our news here can be streamed online on their website, with Netflix and Hulu Plus I've been entertained with shows I've wanted to watch and new shows are either on Hulu or the network sites.
I'm glad ill be saving so much each month!! I am missing the Suze Orman show and Princess though
Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 AM

My Mood/Status:
saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!saraax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Two words.

NFL Networkkkkkkkkk
Old 09-10-2011, 08:36 AM

Saving one day at a time

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraax
Two words.

NFL Networkkkkkkkkk
Is it online?
Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM

My Mood/Status:
been looking for months, havent found it yet...
Old 09-10-2011, 06:34 PM

My Mood/Status:
Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
We did not have cable when we lived in So Calif for over 10 years just antenna but when moved to Northern Calif they stopped transmitting the same airway. We had antenna for first 2 year but after they changed the airway thing the antenna no longer got channels. we are in very rural area so have the smallest satellite package $25 a month. I would not acre if we got rid of it but hubby can not live with out.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pilothillcoupons For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 07:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
haven't had cable in about 5 years, never watched too much T.V. so I didn't miss it at all. Most shows I can catch online. Don't have a phone landline either, just a basic prepaid phone. If I'm at home I make calls from Skype or use voice chat.

Even though cost was part of the reason giving it up, at this point even if I had the money I wouldn't get cable. I love living simple (frugal?), and in the future it will be easy for me to save money since I'm ok with keeping things basic
Old 09-11-2011, 07:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Jesterrose has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbnron View Post
Me and the kids actually lived for several years with no TV we read a lot and used the computer, no hulu then. We didn't suffer too much. Then DH and I got married and I moved here at first we had satellite, verizon for the phone, and satellite internet. Then we signed up for a bundle pack from the cable co. and actually wound up paying less than we were for only phone and internet. You should check out bundle packs sometimes it actually saves, for us it's now like getting TV free. And I have about 4 or 5 years of TV to catch up on

My husband and I decided enough is enough and canceled our cable...our bill was 186 for phone, internet, and cable + HDTV. We found a different high speed provider in our area for 65.99 after the promotional rate. Time Warner called 2 days later (5 days before our scheduled cut date) and dropped our rate to 89.99 for the same package we had. This was guaranteed for 3 years, but we cannot add or delete anything. So we are basically paying 24 dollars a month for cable and phone (we don't even have a phone hooked up).
Old 09-12-2011, 07:30 PM

Saving one day at a time

My Mood/Status:
I kept the internet service, but wondering how it would be if I dropped a tier. Our cable was $85 I think, and Netflix and Hulu Plus are about $17 a month total. I've got about a years worth of stuff to watch on my netflix queue
I was also checking out the blockbuster kiosks, looks like they have a lot of free promo codes a lot, anyone use these?
Old 09-20-2011, 11:42 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Nermalina has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Our cable and internet are bundled and it saves us a good amount.

Even if it weren't I wouldn't cut cable. Besides interenet it is DH's only entertainment. He's disabled and doesn't get out of the house much, usually only to doctor's appointments or sits in the truck while I run errands.

Before I got my current job there were times when it would get shut off and he'd get bored. He reads, but you can only read so much and the hobbies he's interested in he can't physically do anymore. Cable and internet are things I've told him we will never go with out b/c it's main link to the outside world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nermalina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 01:24 PM

Saving one day at a time

My Mood/Status:
Its been two months and between netflix and hulu plus I have no regrets!
The Following User Says Thank You to EStimpert For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 06:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!EMunion777 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
We just got rid of our cable today along with our home phone. Saving us $80. We went without cable the first year in our own home. It was okay. Watched a lot of movies. We both used to work at a Hollywood Video and got discounts on movies and then a couple months after we left (found better paying jobs) both of the ones in our area (I worked at both, he worked at one) went out of business. They sold everything down to the shelving! We got tooons of movies for super cheap. Anyways...chasing chickens. Sorry. Okay so then we also got Netflix because we were tired of watching the same movies. Had problems with Redbox. The boxes near us always said they were full so if we were dropping it off last minute and it said full then we ended up getting charged another night because we had to drive further away.

Anyways... wow this is long. . Got cable, canceled netflix. Just canceled both another year later. Just had a baby and always too busy. Redbox again for us.
, Gavin
, and Adell
The Following User Says Thank You to EMunion777 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 06:54 PM

Saving one day at a time

My Mood/Status:
Do you have a Blockbuster kiosk around you? I see free rental codes all the time on here for them.
Old 10-17-2011, 11:42 AM

My Mood/Status:
GaryInOhio has posted more than 200 great deals!GaryInOhio has posted more than 200 great deals!GaryInOhio has posted more than 200 great deals!
Those who are more tech-oriented checkout Sickbeard

Sick Beard is a PVR for newsgroup users (with limited torrent support). It watches for new episodes of your favorite shows and when they are posted it downloads them, sorts and renames them, and optionally generates metadata for them.

Never miss a show again.
The Following User Says Thank You to GaryInOhio For This Useful Post: