Quality Clothes On A Budget?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2011, 09:48 PM

RE: quality clothes on a budget?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_courtney View Post
I buy a lot of my work clothes at consignment stores. DFW has a TON of them, including Buffalo Exchange and Plato's Closet. .......................

- Redye your stuff if it gets faded. This is especially true for blacks and reds.
It's a super cheap fix.

How do you redye?

also
my SIL washes all clothes in the machine with Woolite for machines, and she washes all her clothes and they last forever! Does anyone do that?

also
I have done fabulously at garage sales and I buy some stuff on Walmart online when they have a sale. There tops under the sweaters are fine,

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you enjoyed my comment please ..press thank you...

Laugh, Laugh, Laugh is the best medicine in the world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jollygreen For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2011, 11:34 PM

My Mood/Status:
brightman73 has posted more than 25 good deals
Smile

Make sure you are washing your good clothes in cold water & the delicate cycle. Also - hang dry - don't put them in the dryer!!!!

I am hard to fit so I'll admit I go to botiques & pricer stores. I get on their e-mailing lists and shop during clearance time. I have nice clothes, but I'm always paying more than 50% off!

I just picked up two tops at Talbots the other day for $30.00!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to brightman73 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
a1phonetech has posted more than 75 good deals!
[quote=jollygreen;4167027] How do you redye?

quote]

I haven't done it in years but I always used Rit Dye. The instructions say you can use a large bucket or your washing machine. I've always worried about using my machine for fear my next load gets dye remnants on them. Has someone here been brave enough to use their machine?

The lady named Michael
The Following User Says Thank You to a1phonetech For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 07:16 PM

climbing back in the coupon saddle

My Mood/Status:
ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I've used rit in a machine before. Its a little bit of a project but I promise it won't turn the next load a weird color. you can either run an extra rinse cycle or wipe out any leftovers w a paper towel.
The Following User Says Thank You to ms_courtney For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 PM

My Mood/Status:
jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!jollygreen has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_courtney View Post
I've used rit in a machine before. Its a little bit of a project but I promise it won't turn the next load a weird color. you can either run an extra rinse cycle or wipe out any leftovers w a paper towel.
When I was a kid, decades ago, , we had to use the rit dye. I thought the water had to be hot. I will check out a box or maybe go on their site in the morning. Work from the home and everyone is sleeping, so it is catch up time.

Thank you and those on this site, because it allows me to multi task and there is always a quick answer,

If you enjoyed my comment please ..press thank you...

Laugh, Laugh, Laugh is the best medicine in the world.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:55 PM

gurlx20 has posted more than 1 good deal
Certain clothes are worth investing in, such as jackets and coats. I go to outlet malls, for better quality at a discount. I buy "cheap" tops (@ places like forever 21) for $5-$10 and just wash them with cheap shampoo (keeps the color) and lightly dry. My mom was a maid for many yrs and so she taught me how to really get the most bang for my buck.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:23 AM

LadyAlleta has posted more than 1 good deal
Clearance clothes shopping!

I generally will go to goodwill, they are usually cheaper and goes to a good cause, then if i dont find anything i will acctually go to a dollar general, they usually have clearence items in my local one and i can get shirts for $4 -$5 and pants for $8-$10. and being what they call "fluffy" its quite a barggin and they have my sizes. hope this helped!

does anyone know of any other good places?
Old 08-22-2011, 08:02 AM

Isaiah'sMommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Isaiah'sMommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Isaiah'sMommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Isaiah'sMommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Isaiah'sMommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Isaiah'sMommy has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
JC Penneys shopper here....I have save so much money from that store...their clothes are always on clearance I also buy play(everyday wear) clothes at kmart when their clothes are extra percent off on clearance plus I buy the summer clothes in the winter for next year and the winter clothes in the summer but it all boils down to how you take care of your clothes...I put the good clothes in the delicate washer and hang dry and iron if need and the play clothes I wash normal and I use cheers soap
, 5 year old Xavier
and 1 year old Soraya
Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 PM

My Mood/Status:
jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!jpoole329 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Do you live near an Outlet center? Great deals and can sign up for emails to some lower prices off retail brands. Good alternative.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't see that you've posted where you live so don't know what stores you have but I've found some GREAT stuff on clearance at JC Penneys, Herbergers and Kohls. Alot of those stores also offer coupons you can stack with the sale prices. If you don't gain/lose weight alot then you can buy things out of season and have them for the next time that season comes around. Unless you are a super model or actress, I don't think it's a big deal to be to out of date with clothes, then again I live in SD so style and fashion prob not such a big deal. I also have gotten some REALLY good deals at Ross, Marshalls and TJ Maxx
The Following User Says Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2011, 11:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
flintnichole19 has posted more than 1 good deal
I wear all name brand. Gap, Tommy, banana. I usually shop at salvation army or goodwill, that is where 90% of my clothing comes from. And if not, I shop kohls or jc penny clearance with coupons. And look up the stores in your local mall online , for coupons. I never shop without coupons!
Old 09-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
princessinsuwanee has posted more than 200 great deals!princessinsuwanee has posted more than 200 great deals!princessinsuwanee has posted more than 200 great deals!
I live in Atlanta, and I always find new with tags high quality name brand stuff at my goodwill stores. If I go into Buckhead, the goodwill near there is totally stocked with coach, prada, dooney and bourne, etc. I used to sell on eBay until it got to be cost prohibitive, plus the feedback component became a problem. Used to bring in 800-1000 a week until some of the buyers didn't quite understand the concept that these were gently used items and they are not always perfect.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:58 PM

My Mood/Status:
momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!momabrown3 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I shop at the goodwill.I also hit all the clearance racks at all the mall store.Signed up for email for store that I shop alot at.I get emails for 15-25% off total,then you purchase things on clearanceyou can save over 75% on new clothes.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:47 PM

ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I don't know where Target fits in here. But yesterday I used their $5 off coupons on some clearance clothes. Got 2 bottoms and 2 tops for a total of $1.01 with the tax!
Old 09-11-2011, 06:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!andreana01 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I probably buy my clothes exclusively from Kohl's and TJMaxx/Marshalls' clearance. I do have to wear suits & business casual at work, but I pay no more than $5, 10 at most for a shirt (at $10 it'd better be something unforgettable), and $10-15 at most for pants. I used to pay a lot more, but now I'd say less than $50 for good suits (Anne Klein is one of the few that fits right- wide shoulders and tailored waist, long pants/skirts that still look classy for my height (I'm 5'10").

$15 is probably my top price for a dress now, and I'm really picky. With so much new stuff at TJM/Marshalls all the time, there's almost always something nice and affordable.

I've gotten some insane deals at these stores. I find that the cheaper stores don't carry quality items and they shrink even in cold water.

Our Macy's is terrible, not at all like Chicago, but the downtown store has a boutique area that attempts to rival the big names. When we used to have an L.S. Ayers I shopped the clearance there. No Dillard's or I'd check it out too.

I used to go thrift store shopping with my friend, back in my minimum wage days, but when you can get new brand name stuff for the same price or less, why not shop new?

My DH too buys almost all of his clothes at Kohl's. He's hard to fit (works out & has the muscles to prove it), but Croft & Barrow, Dockers, and Chaps can't be beat there on clearance and with extra discounts.

Just this month, with a less than $140 spent, we got 18 t-shirts/golf shirts, 2 Dockers shorts, 1 workout shorts, 3 workout shirts for him, (polarized!) sunglasses, 3 pairs of flip flops, 2 dresses, bra set, and shoes for me. You just have to shop off season.

I agree, find name brands that fit right, stick with them, and hand wash or wash in cold water. Cheap stuff shrinks right away, regardless of water temp, the button holes are too small or not sewn well, you have loose threads, the stitching is uneven, the hems are miniscule, uneven, or flimsy, there are no extra buttons, the zippers stick, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to andreana01 For This Useful Post: