Having Trouble With $100 Weekly Grocery Budget

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 PM

RE: Having trouble with $100 weekly grocery budget

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Andrea27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Andrea27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Andrea27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Andrea27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Andrea27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Andrea27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Andrea27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
. Neither adult drinks alcohol anymore-
Quote:
I don't wear make-up
Ok, some things are WORTH spending money on! :P
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-08-2011, 03:42 PM

couponing! love it!

My Mood/Status:
pearlscraftymama has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearlscraftymama has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearlscraftymama has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearlscraftymama has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearlscraftymama has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearlscraftymama has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!pearlscraftymama has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea27 View Post
Ok, some things are WORTH spending money on! :P
I don't wear make-up either. Too expensive, why would I waste money on something I don't use or need. Aside from that, I read someplace that if you leave make-up on over night your skin ages like 10 years.

I do like a glass of wine every once and a while. So the alcohol I don't mind spending $$ on, although the last time I purchased a bottle of whiskey was about 2 years ago.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:03 PM

2011: 52% overall savings

My Mood/Status:
Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!Mulligans has posted more than 150 good deals!
LOL- I'm usually covered in dust & sand, have flying tubleweed strands caught in my hair, and often have some animal's manure on me somewhere. No amount of lipstick and eyeliner is going to improve on that image hahahahaha

Trust me, there are days when I miss my tequila... I mean, I REALLY miss it! :-D

-- Jo
Old 08-08-2011, 04:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
pro_well has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!pro_well has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!pro_well has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!pro_well has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!pro_well has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!pro_well has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Those are some great IDEAS!!

pro_well
Old 08-14-2011, 12:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I spend about 350 a month for 2 adults and 2 kids. I dont buy snack packs of pudding, I make it homemade in bulk then freeze it in small tupperware containers. it freezes great and costs less that 2 pennies a serving. I make my bread, buns and crackers, along with my noodles and all desserts. I shop sales, stock up on good meat deals and frequent the farmers market with gusto every summer to freeze all the bounty for the whole year. I dont think I have bought frozen veggies in 4 years. there are many great ways to cut costs it just requires a lot of time in the kitchen . I usually make enough dough for 4-6 loafs on Sunday and freeze them so I can thaw and bake as needed. If you need some more ideas PM me I am happy to share. Oh and a book I live by is Dining on A Dime they have great cheap recipes that arent overly horrid for you if you watch out.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
77giggles has posted more than 200 great deals!77giggles has posted more than 200 great deals!77giggles has posted more than 200 great deals!
. Neither adult drinks alcohol anymore-
We make our own wine to save money on alcohol. Average cost per bottle = $2.50.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:59 PM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Another way to help your food budget is to see if there is an Angel Food Ministries site in your area. Welcome - Angel Food Ministries

There are web sites that help plan menus around the items each month. Angel Food Ministries actually wants MORE people to order as the more that order the more it brings down the cost for everyone. People are very pleased with the variety and there are numerous boxes you can choose from, to fill in areas that you are unable to use coupons on in your area.

I agree with the others, stock up when there are good sales on meat. Rice or beans, pasta added will help you stretch your meat $$$$$. Like everyone said, if the recipe calls for 1 lb you can half that amount. Lasagna, 5 can mexican stew ( 1 lb ground beef, browned, 1 can rotel, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can whole kernel corn, 1 can black beans, 1 can pinto beans and 1 package of taco seasoning in crock pot), chicken in the crock pot are all great ways to make a quick dinner, then use the leftovers to make other meals.

My momma will take a whole chicken, use the breasts in one meal. Put remainder in crockpot with one bag of carrots, chopped, 1 onion, celery, bay leaf. You can take the cooked chicken off the bone, make chicken and rice, chicken pasta bake, use the broth and veggies to make chicken soup. You can take the veggies and broth and run them through the blender or food processor to make a homemade "thickening" agent, freeze in small amounts and add to casseroles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am so far behind I think I'm First!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2011, 06:50 PM

Supporting Member

jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I use a monthly budget instead of a weekly budget. Some weeks there's practically nothing on sale so I don't go shopping and others I stock up.

My budget is $150/mo for 2 adults and a herd of pets. LOL That includes food, toiletries and cleaning supplies. I haven't actually paid for cleaning supplies in a long time. I stocked up on dishwasher detergent when it was free and MM. For handsoap I use the Dial foaming dispensers and refill them with water and a tablespoon of dish soap, which we frequently get for free or 50 cents. I bought Pine Sol when the 48 oz. bottles were 50 cents and stocked up. I've been using that as my all purpose cleaner for a while. I make my own laundry detergent and only buy the store bought stuff when it's free or MM.

Toiletries are always free. I always stock up when they're free or MM so I don't have to pay for them.

I stock up on meat when it's cheap. Boneless skinless chicken breast was $0.98/lb recently and I bought as much as my freezer would hold. I stock up on pet food when sales, coupons and store coupons collide. This allows me to purchase premium brands for pennies per pound.

When it comes to my grocery list, I buy what's free, then what's cheap and use what's left over to buy stuff that would round out meals for the week.