Frugal Wedding Ideas?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 02:09 PM

RE: Frugal wedding ideas?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
gip32680 has posted more than 200 great deals!gip32680 has posted more than 200 great deals!gip32680 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I too was a budget bride and I made my own invitations (they were pocket fold), cake topper and centerpieces. I don't know if you plan on having favors but if so, think very practical. I did a candy buffet with all different types of candy. I had a lot of retro candy as well as sugarless candy and mints (for the diabetics). It was a HUGE hit!!! And all the candy that was left over, dh and I took them to work along with the rest of the candy bags and let everyone help themselves. I can not tell you how much stuff I have from weddings, bridal and baby showers that took me years to finally throw away because I had no more room for it but didn't throw it away sooner out of guilt. I have to be honest, i would rather get no favor than to know money was spent on something that I can not use. They're cute and all but have no practical purpose. I personally will not use coasters with someone else's name on them in my home. I do not light candles because I have a small child nor would I put a key chain with someone else's name on my keys. These are all nice but not practical and when you have a guest list going upward of 100+ ppl, these favors tend to eat up a big part of your budget. I chose to do a candy buffet because I felt hey who doesn't like candy??? I bought glass jars and vases that were in different shapes and sizes from a fellow bride after her wedding for about $30. And ALL of my guests (young and old) LOVED it and thought it was so different. Especially because there was a lot of retro candy like mary janes, lipsticks, long boys etc and there was something for everyone.

I also like the donation idea also.

For my thank you cards, I made them through shutterfly using a few of my wedding pics and got them really cheap. I believed I paid about $40 (thats on the higher end) incl shipping and envelopes for 100 cards. The print quality was beautiful. I know I used a promo code for signing up so thats what I used. Snap fish and picaboo als offer promo codes when you sign up so be sure to check them out.

Also edible favors whether it be candy or baked goods like cookies or maybe your favorite dessert can all be bought with coupons.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 05:23 PM

mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Our two daughters married in back-to-back summers of '98 and '99. From a young age, each of our daughters has been shown love by their family members not through gifts of money, but of TIME and TALENT. We told our girls that their wedding day would be special, not because we spent a lot of money, but because of the gathering of God/family/friends to witness their vows of commitment to spend the rest of their lives with the one they love. Hence, we only had two rules: First, if it came down to a choice between people OR stuff, we would encourage them to choose PEOPLE! Secondly, we would not be going into debt to host the wedding and we would not encourage anyone else to go into debt, either! Here's how we gave them LARGE weddings on a budget:

1.) The maternal grandmother of the bride(s) has done custom sewing for many years; she has made wedding dresses, sewn for quinceanaras, and she has made all of her granddaughters' high school prom dresses. Her wedding gift to both girls was to custom-design and construct their wedding gowns; she made all of the attendants' dresses (13--total for both weddings), and mother-of-bride dresses, also. She also made the ringbearers' pillows, garter, and bridal bouquets/veils. Oldest daughter, who is 5'11, chose very simple and tailored dress. Youngest daughter's dress bodice was covered in 20,000 beads hand-sewn by her grandmother! This gift of love from their grandmother demonstrated by her willingness to construct the clothing worn by the female members of the bridal party saved us (the parents) close to $10,000! Her cost: Less than $750; each bridesmaid paid $25 for her dress fabric.

2.) Paternal grandparents are weekend caterers, so their gift to each granddaughter was to purchase and cook brisket/sausage for 400 at oldest daughter's reception and 250 at youngest daughter's wedding supper. Paternal aunts cooked all of the trimmings--potato salad, beans, etc. The food was so good at the first daughter's wedding that people asked us if they were on the guest list for second daughter's wedding--ha! Volunteer ladies from the church served all of the food, while the church youth group cleaned up afterwards for a nominal donation.
3.) One paternal aunt has done custom wedding cakes for many years. Her gift to both brides was their wedding cakes and grooms' cakes. She owned all of the fountains, pillars, serving pieces, etc. and graciously offered those for her nieces' use as well.
4.) The maternal aunts/uncles/cousins all sing and play music professionally, so their gift was utilizing their talents during the ceremonies. One uncle sang "The Hawaiian Wedding Song" in Hawaiian, while his wife performed the traditional Hawaiian dance! The memory of "From This Moment" by Shania Twain sung in five-part harmony still brings tears to my eyes!
5.) One groom was working in law-enforcement at the time of his wedding. A co-workers' wife was a professional photographer. After showing samples of her work and furnishing references, she voluntarily donated a whole day to photograph all of the wedding photos and asked only that the couple pay for the cost of printing the photos AT HER DISCOUNT! Such a blessing and the pics turned out WONDERFUL!
6.) We are members and have attended our church for twenty-five years; there was no charge for using the church, commercial kitchen, and reception hall.

I could go on and on, but the whole point of this post is: You can have a beautiful wedding on a budget! Yes, it takes a lot of work and support from family/friends, but your wedding day should be a day when people who love you help to make your day perfect! We knew that our daughters' wedding day(s) were our turn to utilize the wonderfully talented network of our family/friends, but we also knew that, at some point in time, we would have the opportunity to share our talents in return. I have voluntarily made wedding/groom cakes, catered a sit-down meal for 50, made all of the garments for the female members of several weddings, constructed all of the table decorations, sung/played music for many weddings, and been on clean-up detail at receptions of family/friends--these are gifts that I give to folks I care about! That is WEDDING FRUGALITY at its' finest!

Hope these ideas spur you on to GREAT CREATIVITY and encourage you in your pursuit of a beautiful and memorable wedding on a budget!
Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 PM

mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mimipaula1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
@Scamelo: Here in THIS country (35 miles northwest of Houston--smalltown and rural), we still give things like baking plates, towels, sheets, etc. to newlyweds. And....hope that someone ELSE gives them cookbooks--ha!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM

My Mood/Status:
kaitala has posted more than 25 good deals
Congratulations!

We did our wedding SUPER frugally. I think it cost us $200. We had our "Best Men" (My "maid of honor" was a guy), us, the Priestess, her husband, and my best man's wife there. That's it. We went out to dinner afterward.

We're against the "present" thing and the big wedding thing. Everyone feels obligated to give a gift, kind of takes the joy of giving right out of it. "Did I spend 'enough'?" What will other people think of my gift? Will the bride and groom think I'm poor or cheap? We decided that, since our friends are not affluent either, we wouldn't put the burden on them to "have" to attend, to "have" to give us something, etc. Afterward, much to our surprise, our friends threw us a great party, and several did choose to give gifts. It felt like the most heartfelt and generous gift of all, to have our friends choose to do so, to help us celebrate.

It seems you want the big wedding, so I hope you're able to find lots of frugal ways to accomplish what you want. My advice is that sometimes, it's worth paying for someone else to do something and take the stress off you.

I was married once before, and coordinated the wedding in 63 days, for under $9k. I too used a florist friend, we rented a local park area, hired a photographer, a DJ. a caterer and a "bar", and I had a dress made. It wasn't too bad, since we kept it simple. To allay some of the stress, keep it simple.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:18 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I'm also planning a 2012 wedding. I found lots of ideas at DIY Wedding - do it yourself wedding ideas and templates by Weddingbee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
All's fair in love, war, and couponing!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-27-2011, 08:25 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!beatlebutt81 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Also, I've been checking out all the area second-hand thrift stores and garage sales. I have found tons of stuff that is brand-new in the original packaging.

I even found a kit to print your own wedding invitations for $4 for 100 invitations. I also found a similar kit for 100 thank you cards.

I bought a brand-new veil for $4 and three new bags fake white flower petals for less than a $1 total. I found 31 little wooden wedding favor boxes, which normally cost $1 each in craft stores, and paid $4 total for all of them. Then there are all sorts of items I'm finding for crafts and decorations

All's fair in love, war, and couponing!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:59 PM

My Mood/Status:
fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!fairysaver has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
mason jars with sunflowers or some other bright cheap flower, some with floating tea lights. Table cloths can be bought or rented fairly cheaply, invites can be printed at home very cheaply, small emergency candles ordered offline in bulk can be tied with wedding colors ribbons and tagged to be favors, cake is easy to make, serve a cookie bar instead of cocktail hour with cookies that can be made ahead and frozen like choc. chip, sugar, oatmeal, peanut butter and the like, eat cheap and well with BBQ chicken, hamburgers with fixin station, potato salad, mac salad, fresh steamed veggies, baked potato bar with regular and sweet potatos, and finally add flair to it all with signature drink such as orange sherbert punch ( but call it something cool like loves sunshine in a glass ) and just skip booze all together or make it BYOB