Car Frugal Tip.. Check Engine Light... Auto Zone Will Do A Computer Scan FREE!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!catlover7731 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Dance Car frugal tip.. Check engine light... Auto Zone will do a computer scan FREE!

My car's Check Engine light came on. Hubby took into the Toyota Dealer and they found the problem to be a sensor which would cost $740 to repair plus the computer check cost $43. A neighbor said take it over to Auto Zone and they will do the same diagnosis for free and might find a different problem.Well we did and it is the same problem, but the part only cost $173 and it is in a position that a neighbor can do this for $40 for us( it is outside the motor and all that needs to be done is some screws loosened and some wires pulled) We will be saving over $500. I am breathing a little better, because we need to fix this, but couldn't afford over $700. Next time I will go to Auto Zone first.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 07-06-2011, 11:05 AM

RE: Car frugal tip.. Check engine light... Auto Zone will do a computer scan FREE!

Satori has posted more than 200 great deals!Satori has posted more than 200 great deals!Satori has posted more than 200 great deals!
Not all of them will do it, they stopped doing it in CA due to some law.
The Following User Says Thank You to Satori For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 AM

RE: Car frugal tip.. Check engine light... Auto Zone will do a computer scan FREE!

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
They will do the scan ( as will some other places) but in the past they could do something to bypass it so the light would go out for a good while. They can't do THAT anymore.

The very first thing to do if your check engine light goes on is to remove your gas cap for about 5 mins, then carefully replace it. It's often due to an oxygen/pressure issue in the tank.

It doesn't mean your engine is about to die and you can keep driving. At most you'll get less hp/less mpg or a rougher feel.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:36 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Advanced Auto Parts will also do a computer scan for free. They will do a battery check and charge for free and loan tools to help in part replacement. (I believe Auto Zone does all of this as well). Even if you are taking the car to the dealer for these services, it doesnt hurt to visit Advanced or Auto Zone first, just to see if the dealer is getting the code code/ diagnosis. Another tip is to be certain to bring your laptop/ smart phone to the dealer so you can research what the necessary part will cost elsewhere. This will be a good indication of if your dealer is on the up and up.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:57 PM

Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!
I learned about the gas cap a month into owning my new vehicle. Thankfully I read my book and diagnosed myself. Just recently the check engine light came on and it turned out to be a sensor also, but it only cost $200 or so and the place we bring it is very, very honest and they don't even charge for the diagnositic testing.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:00 PM

Blessed by the Lord
Jesus's friend

My Mood/Status:
shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My autozone won't do anything for you.

I love to pray for others. If you need prayers please send me a PM and please keep me in your prayers/