All Commissaries Will Be Closed Starting Oct 2nd?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 04:32 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Guam Love

My Mood/Status:
YesImaCouponer has posted more than 300 great deals!YesImaCouponer has posted more than 300 great deals!YesImaCouponer has posted more than 300 great deals!YesImaCouponer has posted more than 300 great deals!
All Commissaries will be Closed starting Oct 2nd?

Does anyone know if this is true? Because my neighbors had told me what she read on Army times and said that they will be closed due to the lack of government funding. And until they can resolve the funding issue all military and families will be forced to shop elsewhere.

IDSO: Lactaid Milk Qs

Happily
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to DH
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
serves US Army.
Mykol (6yo)
Precious (4yo), and
Cash (1yo)
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 PM

RE: All Commissaries will be Closed starting Oct 2nd?

Check out the PIF threads!

My Mood/Status:
crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!crosscountrysoccermom has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I was not paying close attention, but I did hear that the govt might have a shut down.
The Following User Says Thank You to crosscountrysoccermom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 04:37 PM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
While we were having lunch today, DH told me the proposed debt ceiling increase was approved (once again!) so I don't think there will be a gov't shutdown of services. Business as usual.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 04:40 PM

Guam Love

My Mood/Status:
YesImaCouponer has posted more than 300 great deals!YesImaCouponer has posted more than 300 great deals!YesImaCouponer has posted more than 300 great deals!YesImaCouponer has posted more than 300 great deals!
@joshmamabear GOOD NEWS! I'm going to go hit my neighbor in the touche now cause she kept making fun that I can't coupon at the commissary anymore

Happily
to DH
serves US Army.
Mykol (6yo)
Precious (4yo), and
Cash (1yo)
Old 09-27-2013, 04:48 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by YesImaCouponer View Post
@joshmamabear GOOD NEWS! I'm going to go hit my neighbor in the touche now cause she kept making fun that I can't coupon at the commissary anymore
wait....don't rejoice yet until the hour hath come;

we can't rely on news these days although we can make bets on what is going to happen. After all, how many times were we put in this situation of being threatened of gov't shutdown if the debt ceiling isn't raised? Not just once, right? So we can now predict the outcome each time we max out our credit.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2013, 11:17 PM

Guam Love

My Mood/Status:
True October is just not looking good for us from the rumor of the commissary closing to the no pay on the 15th. I just hate that the more pay that is taken away from our soldiers the politicians aren't affected by any of this at all! And the fact that it's just breaking our soldiers' morale even lower, what's next?! Take away our health care?!

Happily
to DH
serves US Army.
Mykol (6yo)
Precious (4yo), and
Cash (1yo)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to YesImaCouponer For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 02:59 PM

My Mood/Status:
meandmyarmyguy has posted more than 25 good deals
Yes if there is a government shutdown the commissaries will be open on October 1st to prepare for the shutdown on October 2nd.

Army wife
to Eric
Mother to these fur babies

The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2013, 04:06 PM

Chantelrebecca has posted more than 75 good deals!
This is the latest news from a politico article. I think the separate no strings attached military funding bill should pass with no problems.

The decision was announced by the GOP leadership in a closed meeting Saturday afternoon, according to sources present. Republicans will also pass a separate bill to fund U.S. troops if the government shuts down, GOP lawmakers said. The House’s funding measure will keep the government open until mid-December.

Read more: Government shutdown: Shutdown looms larger after GOP move on Obamacare - POLITICO.com
The Following User Says Thank You to Chantelrebecca For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 05:50 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
just read on yahoo news now;

Quote:
The House also unanimously passed a bill to fund the military in the event of a shutdown.
no cause for worries for commissaries closing Oct 2.

I'm glad they came up with this decision to support the military come what may.
Old 09-29-2013, 06:04 AM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
You know I'm not military nor my DH but I think it's terrible you should even have to worry about things like this, I appreciate all you or your SO does for this country but honestly to me it's horrible that those who serve have to worry about healthcare, pay even groceries now when no one else in the government gives up their lifestyle to serve it. Heck I even network on FB constantly for military who have to give up their family pets due to being moved its so sad
to Miguel
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
The Following User Says Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2013, 06:07 AM

kj_quilts has posted more than 200 great deals!kj_quilts has posted more than 200 great deals!kj_quilts has posted more than 200 great deals!
I don't think that the commissary is part of "the military" their employees are civilian employees of the government, and I doubt that they are considered essential.

I think that we have to wait and see. My DH is retired and a current civilian employee of the army, and they have been told that they have to come into work on Oct 1, and if the House and Senate have not passed the SAME bill, then they will receive lay off notices that morning.

Right now, the House and Senate have both passed bills, but they are not the same. From what I heard this morning, there will be no chance of voting on the same bull until Monday Night.

I believe that the Military continuing resolution will cover active duty soldiers, but there could be a disruption at the commissary, PX, and possible medical clinics.

It is a mess!
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
bryansilvia has posted more than 25 good deals
Hello,
Sadly CONUS commissaries will be closed starting tomorrow if they can not reach some form of agreement.
If you would like to read more on this you can do so HERE

Proud Air Force Wife
Old 10-01-2013, 10:31 AM

hlynnf has posted more than 10 good deals
Commissaries will be closed

Whew! Went to the commissary this morning and was it ever busy! Yes, today is the last day they are open during the government shutdown. Our commissary (here is Norfolk, VA) will be open regular hours today to try to get rid of perishable goods - I could barely get around the meat department - and will be closed effective Oct 2. The manager here said they anticipate they will be closed for the duration of the gov shutdown. The commissary is not covered as part of the referendum to pay active duty military members.

On another note, my understanding is that the NEX/AAFES stores will remain open as they are run privately. So you may be able to do some fill in shopping there!
Old 10-01-2013, 10:53 AM

:-)
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Seriously am sick and tired of it, ugh.

Do you want to become an AFC Forum Leader?

Openings and requirements can be found
!
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ_2008 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2013, 01:45 PM

My Mood/Status:
bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!bigdogmom187 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Ugh I am NOT looking forward to the lines tonight :P
Old 10-01-2013, 01:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
jae.carter1 has posted more than 100 good deals!jae.carter1 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlynnf View Post
Whew! Went to the commissary this morning and was it ever busy! Yes, today is the last day they are open during the government shutdown. Our commissary (here is Norfolk, VA) will be open regular hours today to try to get rid of perishable goods - I could barely get around the meat department - and will be closed effective Oct 2. The manager here said they anticipate they will be closed for the duration of the gov shutdown. The commissary is not covered as part of the referendum to pay active duty military members.

On another note, my understanding is that the NEX/AAFES stores will remain open as they are run privately. So you may be able to do some fill in shopping there!
I just came back from the commissary as well, and it was packed! Apparently they had all of the meat half price! They ran out of the half price meat right before I got there.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:07 PM

Guam Love

My Mood/Status:
Fort Campbell sounds like a mad mess today... no meat, no milk... ugh! I need those things!!

Happily
to DH
serves US Army.
Mykol (6yo)
Precious (4yo), and
Cash (1yo)
Old 10-02-2013, 07:01 AM

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lyn96 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lyn96 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lyn96 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lyn96 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lyn96 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lyn96 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!lyn96 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
We went yesterday.Our normal day,boy was it packed I haven't seen the line that long in gosh over a decade.No sales for us.Thank goodness I stockpile. Shopping on the econ can be tough They better fix this mess soon though. Stop acting like 6 year olds.

Last edited by lyn96; 10-02-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: to early for thinking
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 AM

My Mood/Status:
oldsgt24 has posted more than 300 great deals!oldsgt24 has posted more than 300 great deals!oldsgt24 has posted more than 300 great deals!oldsgt24 has posted more than 300 great deals!
When you voted For the people who shut down the government not because they wanted to help you, but bIG bUSINESS. these are the people you voted for who work for anyone but you. Wise up people they are suppose to work for YOU. Kick them out next time.
The Following User Says Thank You to oldsgt24 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
just FYI, if this thread turns political, it'll end up in Controversy Corner and many of those who do not subscribe to that forum cannot read replies.

I understand if this will turn political but afaik, it can't be discussed in the open forums.
Old 10-05-2013, 07:53 AM

winco here i come!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Carrina has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Carrina has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Carrina has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Carrina has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Carrina has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Carrina has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Carrina has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Carrina has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Ok open the commissary and pay us

The Following User Says Thank You to Carrina For This Useful Post: