Commissary Computer Coupon Spreadsheet

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Printer Commissary Computer Coupon Spreadsheet

If you are like me, you don't like to have surprises at the register. A good way to avoid that is to be organized. One of the tools I have created to help me in my organization is the Commissary Coupon Spreadsheet.

This spreadsheet will auto-magically calculate all of my costs for me. It gives me a quick reference list to look at while I am shopping and also allows me to double check item prices and coupon values while at the register. I'll provide a link to download the spreadsheet, a link to GoogleDocs where you can see it in action, and a link to a reliable online virus scanner (you can't be to safe these days :)

The spreadsheet should be fairly self explanatory however, it is easy to make a mistake and wipe out a formula. I'll walk you through the columns you should edit and tell you which ones to avoid changing.

Column A allows you to keep track of what you have actually purchased. I print out the spreadsheet and use it as a grocery list. As I find an item, if it meets the price I expected, I place a check mark in this box. If I can't find it or the price is not what I expected, I don't buy it and place a minus sign in the box. Also, prior to printing, it may be a good idea to add a few blank rows at the bottom. This allows you to write in purchases you didn't plan for.

Column B allows you to add in what isle an item is located in. Using this tip will allow you to create an index of your commissaries isles. Once you have your list filled out you can sort the list based on what isle a product is located in. Pretty cool, huh? :)

Column C should be easy to figure out. It is the name of the item you are purchasing. If need be, include weight, volume or piece count in here as well. The cell will automatically adjust to however much text you enter.

Column D is the price of a *SINGLE* item. Don't total them up in this column, the spreadsheet will do it for you.

Column E is the total number of that item you wish to purchase. Once you fill that in and move to a different cell, Column D, Column F and Column G will auto-magically calculate themselves.

Column F is the total price for that number of items, *before* the surcharge is added. You do not need to make any changes here, the spreadsheet will do it for you.

Column G is the total price for that number of items, *after* the surcharge is added. You do not need to make any changes here, the spreadsheet will do it for you.

Column H is the value of the coupon you wish to use for that item. This is for a single coupon, don't add them up, the spreadsheet will do that for you.

Column I is for the number of coupons you have for that item.

Column J is a special column. It is meant for those who purchase coupons. To calculate your true cost for an item, you need to add in what your purchase price for a coupon was. This is the price per coupon, not the total price. Don't forget to include shipping!

Column K will display your total coupon savings. This column fills its self out, no need for you to interfere.

Column L is meant for those who order coupons from eBay or a clipping service. If you have put a value in Column J, Column L will give your a Total Out Of Pocket (Total OOP) cost. This column takes into account the true cost of the item, after the surcharge, plus the cost of the coupons.

Column M will give you the Point Of Sale, Out Of Pocket (POS OOP) total. This is what you should expect to pay at the register.

Column N will allow you to see, if everything goes according to plan, what your total percentage saved will be. If you have not filled anything out on your spreadsheet or, have zeroed out your values in preparation for your next shopping trip, this cell will show an error. You can ignore this error, it will go away when you start to fill out the spreadsheet. This is what the error looks like:

The bottom row of the spreadsheet keeps a running total of all the columns. Tada! Magic I tell you :)

When you are making changes to the spreadsheet, the only columns you should use the delete key on is Column B and Column C. Using the delete key in any other cell will *delete* the formula for that cell and render the spreadsheet useless. If you wish to remove any number values, enter a zero. The only columns you need to enter zeros in are columns D, E, H, I and J. Every other column has a formula attached to it. Again, if you use the delete key in those columns, the formula will be gone and the spreadsheet will be useless.

Ok, you have everything put into your spreadsheet but, who wants to scurry from isle to isle, desperately seeking your items? To sort your spreadsheet by isle, follow these simple steps:

1) Click on the first 'Isle' box. It will be at the top of the spreadsheet, generally in Row 2. It's hard to tell, but I have single clicked on the '4'.

2) Up near the top, click on the word 'Data'. I am using Microsoft Excel 2007, so there is a chance my screen looks slightly different from yours. However, these are fairly standard spreadsheet actions so your version should have these options but, perhaps in a different location. Dig around, you will find it.

3) Now, click on the little do-dad that says 'Sort'.

4) In a perfect world, a sort box will pop up with exactly what we need entered into it. However, this is not a perfect world so there is a good chance the information in it is wrong. To make sure it is going to sort correctly, make yours look like the picture below.

5) This last step is CRITICAL! Do not screw this one up! Ready? Click 'Ok'. That's it :) You now have a neatly organized, sorted shopping list. Should you have done everything correctly, and I know you did, your list will look something like this:

If you don't know what isle an item is in, don't worry. Just don't put anything in that box. Rows without an isle number in them will go to the bottom of the list.

If you need to add rows to the spreadsheet, simply place your mouse on the row number *above* the bottom row, right click and select 'copy'. Keeping your mouse in the same location, right click again and select 'Insert copied cells'.

If you wish to remove rows, right click on the row number you wish to remove and select 'delete'.

Sometimes, when adding rows, the formula at the bottom will mess up. It's an easy fix, but frustrating if you don't know how. I'll walk you through how to fix it, with pictures, even! :)

Step 1: Click on the cell at the bottom that is behaving badly. Generally, if one is wrong they are all wrong. We will start with the Total Cost cell at the bottom of Row J.

Step 2: With that cell highlighted, press the 'Delete' key on the keyboard. I know, I said above to try and not delete things, but if we want to fix this thing and make it work correctly, then delete is what we need to do.

Step 3: Ok, all that nasty data is gone. But wait! Along with the data, we lost our formula! Whatever shall we do? Easy, we will put it back. Up near the top of the screen is a goofy looking 'E' with the words 'Auto Sum' next to it. Click on the funny looking 'E'.

Step 4: Now we have a whole bunch of craziness going on on the screen. Not to worry, this is easy stuff.

Step 5: Now, starting near the top of the row, just under the words 'Total Cost', left click, hold the button down, and drag the cursor to the bottom of the row. Stop and release the mouse button just before you get to the '=SUM' crazy looking thing.

Step 6: Last step, and this one is super easy, I promise. Press the 'Enter' key on your keyboard. Tada! Your cell is now correctly calculating the total, just the way it should.

Now, the bad news is, you need to do that for each cell at the bottom. Sorry about that but I don't know of a faster way to fix it.

I *think* I have covered everything. If I have missed something or you have questions please, let me know. This spreadsheet was created in Excel 2007. Most people should be able to open it with no problems.

If you wish to download the spreadsheet, click HERE

*** If you are having troubles downloading this spreadsheet, right click on the link and select 'Save As...' ***

Since this is the big, bad Internet, you will probably want to scan this file. I recommend this site for scanning.

Enjoy and happy shopping!

Last edited by sav4dzn; 02-05-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Added Icon & Word to Title
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:55 AM

RE: Commissary Computer Coupon Spreadsheet

FF wifey & mommy to 4

My Mood/Status:
ijma43 has posted more than 25 good dealsijma43 has posted more than 25 good deals
Awesome!!!! Thank you for sharing
Old 06-21-2011, 09:32 AM

Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Snarg has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
The GoogleDocs version is updated with my next shopping trip. $48.79 worth of stuff for only $2.04. I love coupons!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snarg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 AM

lovin AFC
AFC Moderator

My Mood/Status:
nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Very Cool. I use an almost identical spreadsheet that I created and I couldn't live without it. I'm a bit anal so I like to know exactly what should be happening at the register. Its gotten so bad that the cashiers ask me if my final total looks correct! Thank you for sharing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nomadicpixie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 11:40 AM

akastephens has posted more than 200 great deals!akastephens has posted more than 200 great deals!akastephens has posted more than 200 great deals!
That's really neat. So do you print and take with you or do you populate it in the store with you?
Old 06-21-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akastephens View Post
That's really neat. So do you print and take with you or do you populate it in the store with you?
I print it and take it with me. I try to not deviate from my shopping plan to much but, if you see a deal you can't live without, leave a few blank lines at the bottom for write-ins. You can re-calculate the totals with your calculator. You do have a calculator with you, right?

If you have an iPad, I'm fairly certain the spreadsheet would work on it as well. If anyone has one, give it a shot and let us know.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snarg For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 12:20 PM

Just added some Mahatma Rice tearpads I had.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 AM

lisa0069 has posted more than 25 good deals
Thanks for the look, I have one I made on my Ipad and use it that way if I find something while at the store I can add it in and see my new total.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:00 AM

My Mood/Status:
mae232 has posted more than 25 good deals
Wow! I love it! Thanks for sharing!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:46 AM

I'm baaack and ready to SAVE!
AFC sassy member

My Mood/Status:
SassyNixx has posted more than 100 good deals!SassyNixx has posted more than 100 good deals!
Thank you!! I just loaded this onto my Htc EVO and can refer to the list on my phone while shopping to save me from wasting anymore paper

Engaged to my love of 10yrs
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, to be Wed this Hallow's eve
Our spoiled "children"; Rusty
& Raider

Recent College Graduate
in Computer systems for Networking/A+
& I enjoy applying my creativity to my career as a Web Editor

Old 06-22-2011, 11:00 AM

My Mood/Status:
whatshequilted has posted more than 25 good deals
Thanks!
Old 06-22-2011, 11:34 AM

My Mood/Status:
grandmamichelf has posted more than 300 great deals!grandmamichelf has posted more than 300 great deals!grandmamichelf has posted more than 300 great deals!grandmamichelf has posted more than 300 great deals!
Ok, this is really cool. I love Excel.

So let me ask this question. What if you have a coupon for 2/$1 or 5/.50?

Or if you have a coupon that says B2G1 free?

Or what if you're like OMG, math......
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grandmamichelf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 AM

kcmesserole has posted more than 10 good deals
Wow! This is neat! Thanks so much, I am going to try this next time I go shopping!
Old 06-22-2011, 12:16 PM

lisa0069 has posted more than 25 good deals
If I have a coupon for say $1.00/2 I just put it in as .50 and let mine do the math
Old 06-22-2011, 12:43 PM

My Mood/Status:
grandmamichelf has posted more than 300 great deals!grandmamichelf has posted more than 300 great deals!grandmamichelf has posted more than 300 great deals!grandmamichelf has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa0069 View Post
If I have a coupon for say $1.00/2 I just put it in as .50 and let mine do the math
Aha!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:01 PM

drinnian has posted more than 1 good deal
Thanks for sharing that!
Old 06-22-2011, 01:22 PM

WHATS UP COLLEGE?!

My Mood/Status:
BrokeOnDiesel has posted more than 1 good deal
I think I am a couponing FAIL I don't get how to get all these price checks like everyone else and I ran into two really good couponers at bloom yesterday and they just looked at me like an amateur with their baseball card organizers
Old 06-22-2011, 01:26 PM

lovin AFC
AFC Moderator

My Mood/Status:
nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeOnDiesel View Post
I think I am a couponing FAIL I don't get how to get all these price checks like everyone else and I ran into two really good couponers at bloom yesterday and they just looked at me like an amateur with their baseball card organizers

Don't let them get you down! Keep going, keep doing. And don't worry about not getting some of the deals. No every store has every item, and this is especially true at smaller stores. Just do your best!!

The Following User Says Thank You to nomadicpixie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2011, 01:51 PM

My Mood/Status:
hlaing has posted more than 10 good deals
Thanks so much for this spreadsheet!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
themilbrat has posted more than 10 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeOnDiesel View Post
Keep on truckin', hon!
Old 06-22-2011, 10:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
lindyf has posted more than 300 great deals!lindyf has posted more than 300 great deals!lindyf has posted more than 300 great deals!lindyf has posted more than 300 great deals!
I so much want to use this but when I click to download it comes up a blank page. Anyone else have that problem?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:25 AM

My Mood/Status:
whatshequilted has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by lindyf
I so much want to use this but when I click to download it comes up a blank page. Anyone else have that problem?
If you right click on the link. Then save target as....

The blank page came up for me as well but the right clicking worked for me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whatshequilted For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2011, 06:45 AM

cc60951
I would like to download the spreadsheet. When I went to go and click on the link, it gave me a blank page. Have any suggestions?
Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM

Squishybear2112
Thank you so much for this! I kept trying to make a spreadsheet and it was an epic fail.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:37 AM

akastephens has posted more than 200 great deals!akastephens has posted more than 200 great deals!akastephens has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarg View Post
I print it and take it with me. I try to not deviate You do have a calculator with you, right?
yeah, um, no... I'm not that high speed...

I've noticed the commissary here doesn't update the prices as quickly as online and I keep a mental list of my "buy" prices... like right now, the Kraft Cheese blocks are 2.50... it took them a week to populate that... but I know that's the time to use my $1 off coupons