Ss # To Write A Check?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

mrs.berman has posted more than 200 great deals!mrs.berman has posted more than 200 great deals!mrs.berman has posted more than 200 great deals!
ss # to write a check?

Does your commissary do this? I wrote a check for the first time today (lost my debit card) and they asked for my phone number and wrote down my husband's duty station, pay grade and service. I turned my head for two seconds to check on DD and saw the lady entering numbers into the computer. I asked what it was and she said they take the social securty number too, but it's ok because it's in the computer. So I'm supposed to assume that's safe and ok? ***? She didn't have permission to use my husband's social when I was writing a check. Had I known this I would have used a credit card. After arguing with her for some time she finally said "I've been doing it all day." I guess I'm pissed because I have always been told NEVER to give that kind of information to write a check. I don't care if it's on base or not. I called my husband and he's pissed. Pretty much said they don't have permission to use his social for me to write a check, but he's not sure what he can do about it. Any thoughts or help?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 02:34 PM

RE: ss # to write a check?

mrs.berman has posted more than 200 great deals!mrs.berman has posted more than 200 great deals!mrs.berman has posted more than 200 great deals!
I just looked up the information on the commissary website. It says the SS# of the individual writing the check will be entered into the system. Since the spouse's SS# is no longer on the military ID she should have asked for it. At that point I would have given her another form of payment. Still mad about this and I will NEVER write a check there again.
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs.berman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2010, 02:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!nellenelli has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Good info to know thanks.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:04 PM

My Mood/Status:
Wizer has posted more than 400 great deals!Wizer has posted more than 400 great deals!Wizer has posted more than 400 great deals!Wizer has posted more than 400 great deals!Wizer has posted more than 400 great deals!
My commissary used to do that, it was common practice but they have not done it for a while since they started tendering the check electronically.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
They used to write it on the check about 6 years ago when dh & I first got married (I was born and raised a Navy brat with both parents enlisted) They need a way to get in contact with peoples commands and keep the mil involved when someone writes a bad check at the commy! They can go to the command and request a pay cut in the amount of the check. They had a big problem with BAD checks a while back. Just think if you look at the prices online commissaries.com you have to enter your dh's ss#, bday & last name.. so it could be worse. LOL If something went bad with your dh's ss# and it was linked to the commy they would be responsible, you don't need to worry.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 AM

Florida Sandman - a Southern Gentleman

FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Most BX/PX and Commissaries now use 'Electronic Check Verification'. This means when you give them a check, it is either run directly through the register or through a seperate, stand-alone, device that checks directly with your bank to confirm the funds are available for the check you wrote. If the funds are not available the check will be rejected.

If your BX/PX or Commissary does not use this process they will have to have your military spouse's SSAN to verify with DOD that you do not have any outstanding bad checks or military affiliated financial obligations. There are very few of these BX/PX and Commisaries left.

BE VERY CAREFUL. . . . If you use a BX/PX, Commissary that uses electronic verification. . . . For example: If you have $100 in your checking account. . . You go to the BX/PX and write a check for $50. . . Then you go to the Commissary and write a check for $60. Your check will be rejected. The $50 check at the BX/PX has already been 'flagged' and deducted from your account, pending the check clearing.
You Can Not 'float' checks any more - write a check now and deposit the money on the way home - It Don't work that way anymore. Wish it did.

Sounds to me like you got a store waiting to be updated.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:34 AM

My Mood/Status:
jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I think it is kinda funny when you are mad that the commissary has your hubbys SSN? The hospital asks for it, The PX has it if you have the star card, his dog tags have it, About every single piece of document paper my hubby brings home has it right at the top...I'm pretty sure the library asks for it.. etc etc its not like no where else asks for it.

When did they change the IDs not to have our SS?? I need to get a new one next year but mine has MY SS and my Hubbys SS. My sister got hers about 2 years ago and it is just like mine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jonsgurl0531 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2010, 06:06 PM

daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsgurl0531 View Post
I think it is kinda funny when you are mad that the commissary has your hubbys SSN? The hospital asks for it, The PX has it if you have the star card, his dog tags have it, About every single piece of document paper my hubby brings home has it right at the top...I'm pretty sure the library asks for it.. etc etc its not like no where else asks for it.

When did they change the IDs not to have our SS??
I need to get a new one next year but mine has MY SS and my Hubbys SS. My sister got hers about 2 years ago and it is just like mine
Very recently. I'd say within the past year. I got my ID renewed in May and have XXX-XX-XXXX as my SSN.
Old 09-15-2010, 06:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jonsgurl0531 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I have to change it by next year, so I'm going to do it soon.. for other reasons. It will be the 3rd time I needed to change it... and it has been a HASSLE every time. EVEN when I went with my sister's to get hers..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:32 AM

Florida Sandman - a Southern Gentleman

FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!FloridaSandman has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
This is just FYI.... It's a year old, but the best I could find on a quicky. SSAN's will be removed from all ID's by 2012. I knew this and DW and I were told to come back in after July 2012 to get new ID's to get rid of the SSAN's from our ID's.

This is just FYI . . . I envite and welcome any correction to my post . . . .

DoD Plans to Remove Social Security Numbers from Military ID Cards - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FloridaSandman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSandman View Post
Most BX/PX and Commissaries now use 'Electronic Check Verification'. This means when you give them a check, it is either run directly through the register or through a seperate, stand-alone, device that checks directly with your bank to confirm the funds are available for the check you wrote. If the funds are not available the check will be rejected.
My commissary does use this system. That's why I find the whole ss# thing weird. It's supposed to be the check writer's ss#. There was a problem a few years ago where someone wrote almost 50 bad checks at this commissary. I can see one or two happening, but at this point the individual and his wife should have had their picture posted at every cash register!
The Following User Says Thank You to mrs.berman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:

When did they change the IDs not to have our SS?? I need to get a new one next year but mine has MY SS and my Hubbys SS. My sister got hers about 2 years ago and it is just like mine
It's not funny I'm mad at the commissary. They are a grocery store. The hospitals use it because that is how insurance companies track the policy numbers. I never give out my husband's ss# just the last four. Also, he says they no longer use that number at work and they all go by their employee id number.

It's a safety thing to not give it out. It's not supposed to be used for things like library cards or job applications (give it out after you're hired). Back in they days when pay stubs had your whole ss# on them, someone stole a couple of mine, plus some credit card statements. I still regularly have to check my credit report to make sure someone has not opened a line of credit it my name.

Last edited by mrs.berman; 09-17-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 AM

My Mood/Status:
I have an insurance card that has my policy number, but they always ask for my husband's social anyway.
And yes you do give out the last 4 for alot of things, But they have your hubby's full social on record... or what use would it be for them?

Is your Hubby in the Army? To double check since I had no idea what an employee number was.. I just called mine and he has no idea what an employee id number is either. And that he uses his social all the time for things from documents to forms etc..BUT on some forms they are transfering over to just the last 4.

I was coming back to comment that I went to the gym on post and I guess for some reason the computer "erased" my info (when I scan my card in) and they needed my Hubby's Social his unit etc..

I do not see the commissary as a regular grocery store, You have to show your ID before you buy anything, his SS is right there as well..so if they were going to steal it etc it would not be that hard.
I guess thats why I wouldn't be so mad

Last edited by jonsgurl0531; 09-17-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:22 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hermashaw View Post
They used to write it on the check about 6 years ago when dh & I first got married (I was born and raised a Navy brat with both parents enlisted) They need a way to get in contact with peoples commands and keep the mil involved when someone writes a bad check at the commy! They can go to the command and request a pay cut in the amount of the check. They had a big problem with BAD checks a while back. Just think if you look at the prices online commissaries.com you have to enter your dh's ss#, bday & last name.. so it could be worse. LOL If something went bad with your dh's ss# and it was linked to the commy they would be responsible, you don't need to worry.
Yah I remember doing that as well. I haven't used a check in years though...probably around that time. I've been married for over 7 years and I think it was in the very begining... when I lost my ID card.. guess that is why I don't see why anyone would get mad over it.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Oh how I missedbeing able to coupon in FL....and...

My Mood/Status:
USMCwifey99 has posted more than 75 good deals!
It use to be required to have all the information on your checks ( if you or you spouse bounce a check until it is cleared up and removed from the system~~nation wide) then you were no longer allowed to write a check anywhere on base. If you have ever noticed alot of people who have been in over a decade at least have their ranks on their checks, some even had their unit info on them instead of their home address especially if they wrote a majority of checks on base. Its normal dont worry. Hope that helps ease your mind.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 PM

My Mood/Status:
geanienut has posted more than 400 great deals!geanienut has posted more than 400 great deals!geanienut has posted more than 400 great deals!geanienut has posted more than 400 great deals!geanienut has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaSandman View Post
This is just FYI.... It's a year old, but the best I could find on a quicky. SSAN's will be removed from all ID's by 2012. I knew this and DW and I were told to come back in after July 2012 to get new ID's to get rid of the SSAN's from our ID's.

This is just FYI . . . I envite and welcome any correction to my post . . . .

DoD Plans to Remove Social Security Numbers from Military ID Cards - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Yes they are changing ALL forms of ID in every state. Be prepared to bring your birth, marriage, proof of residency and the kitchen sink to get a new ID. To me, this has gone overboard.... I don't want people in my life FOLLOWING me around electronically to see what I am doing. This is an invasion of my privacy.. Once I move, I am buying a horse... That will be my transportation..
Old 09-23-2010, 01:54 AM

Coupon break is now over!
Nightowl On-Duty

My Mood/Status:
Blessings2U has posted more than 400 great deals!Blessings2U has posted more than 400 great deals!Blessings2U has posted more than 400 great deals!Blessings2U has posted more than 400 great deals!Blessings2U has posted more than 400 great deals!
I have to put our ss #'s on our estimated tax payment check to the gov several times a year and it drives me nuts. A check to them I imagine goes thru a lot of hands and eyes. Our accountant said there is no way around it. It just seems wrong to be forced to put something so highly personal on ANY check.
Luke 9:26
You can't have it both ways.
Please God or please man.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Oh and someone said something about insurance policy number, mine is my husbands ss#! so I give it out all the time if I go to the dr on or OFF base. The military you're a number and it just so happens to be your SS# it's not a big deal, if someone on base stole your SS# the base would cover you. It's the simple. They have HIGH security when it comes to those things for a reason.
& Ladybug(4)
Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
I'm due for a new id, well I have been due since March but haven't had time to get one. Luckily it's not due til october 2011 or I would sol. Mines just needing to be changed because of dh getting promoted, but I'm ok with it saying e5 still, cause he's going to ocs and soon enough it would change from e6 to o1e anyway.
& Ladybug(4)
Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 AM

I guess the point that is being missed is the policy is to use the check writer's social security number and that's not what happened. My husband's social security number was used when I wrote a check, from my personal checking account and my husband wasn't there. I realize that in the military, we are a number, but at the military stores on and off base, that information should not be used. They have enough information already and the check clears or gets rejected within seconds.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:08 PM

akastephens has posted more than 200 great deals!akastephens has posted more than 200 great deals!akastephens has posted more than 200 great deals!
If I remember right, it's been probably 10 years since I've written a check, it is AAFES that uses the ssn of who is writing the check...

for the commissary
http://www.commissaries.com/inside_d...0_6_JN2007.pdf

(page 36 but adobe page 40)

c. SSN.
(1) Due to increased concern over identity theft, DeCA has taken steps to provide assurance to the patron/sponsor that their SSN will not be used for any unauthorized purpose. There is no longer a requirement for the SSN to be written on the front of the check or printed on the back of the check. However, the sponsorís SSN will be entered into POS from the customerís ID card when paying by check.

(2) The SSN inquiry system was developed to eliminate the printing of SSN on the front of the check and the POS system printing of the SSN on the back of the check. This system requires that the SSN be correctly entered into the POS system from the patronís ID card for validation against the negative check file. The check is endorsed without the SSN on the check. It is imperative that the cashier obtains the sponsorís SSN from the patronís ID card. This is necessary to correctly maintain the negative check file and for processing collections of dishonored checks that are not redeemed at the store.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
Good look up Aka.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Good look up Aka.
I agree good find. I didn't see that before. I looked up the FAQ section and it said nothing about the sponsor's ssn. I did find something that said that it requires the check writer's ssn, but now I can't find it. Maybe the FAQ section should match the written policy.