Why Do I ALWAYS Have Problems At The Register!? (Help!)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

rezacey has posted more than 50 good deals
Why do I ALWAYS have problems at the register!? (Help!)

Ok, sooo...

I am an ethical couponer. I read all the fine print and abide by all restrictions. A good number of my coupons are IPs. For the past couple of months, every time I am at the register the manager needs to be called over. I have been accused of using fraudulent coupons and questioned as to where I am printing them from (the answer is coupons.com - very legit). Two trips ago, I had an exasperated cashier mutter under her breath that I had "just too many coupons". The same cashier was trying to override the coupons to enter the price of the actual item whenever there was overage involved. She rolled her eyes when I pulled out the coupon policy and asked for the manager to come over. This last trip, my cashier set aside a stack of about 15 coupons, both IPs and regular coupons, and told me that we simply wouldn't be able to use them because they weren't scanning properly. You can imagine my horror!

Is there a better way to do this? Should I ring up all my items with coupons in a separate transaction? Should I break up my transaction into several small ones? I'm sure that there are some wonderful Commissary cashiers who do their job well and know the store's policy, but sorry, I've yet to come across one! I am getting discouraged from using IPs because this is SUCH a hassle. Is it time to contact Deca?

By the way, all my problems have been at Naval Base San Diego and MCAS Miramar.
The Following User Says Thank You to rezacey For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-12-2012, 12:35 PM

RE: Why do I ALWAYS have problems at the register!? (Help!)

My Mood/Status:
anneke9 has posted more than 5 good deals
Wow, I can imagine your frustration. I don't think you are doing anything wrong. If I was you I would contact Deca...after all you are investing time in your couponing.

I can just share you my experience: I have only had one cashier that didn't allow overage. I didn't have the coupon policy with me at that time so I just let it go. Since then, I went three times (three different cashiers) and all of them accepted all my coupons and gave me overage. I usually have about 40 coupons in a trip...they are always very nice about it. I do live overseas and the cashiers are locals.

Good luck!
Old 01-12-2012, 02:58 PM

couponcoulston has posted more than 75 good deals!
I always have problems at the commissary. In my experience it's simply the cashiers being uninformed about the policy. At our last duty station I became friends with the store director because I was constantly calling her as I was leaving the store to tell her about the day's frustrations. The only thing I can recommend is find a coupon friendly cashier, one that knows the policy and is willing to be patient with you and keep going to that cashier. The ones that give me problems, I don't go back to. Also, give a call to the store director, maybe it's time for a coupon policy refresher for some of the cashiers.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:57 AM

lovin AFC
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nomadicpixie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Contact DeCa. Please contact DeCA. This cashiers behavior is against everything DeCA stands for. Politely explain what has been said, muttered, and their attitude. Also explain they are refusing to follow the policy. DeCA will ensure it is corrected.

A bit of background for you - Both locations have had plenty of high volume users there. They have had the couponers who special order 500 items and get hundreds in overage (past deals, I wish they still existed). So its not that the store doesn't know the policy. DeCA has been contacted in the past. So either its the whole store who needs a reminder - which DeCA will not like since they've had issues in the past. Or its a grouchy cashier who should not be working with customers (I bet this one is the case). Make sure you give them the name of the cashier and you can also give them the info from your latest transaction (found on the receipt). The cashier needs to understand that as long as you follow the rules you can use coupons - hundreds if you want. Its not her business and if she doesn't like DeCAs policy then she needs to work elsewhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nomadicpixie For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Thanks to all. I did contact Deca yesterday and am waiting to hear back. I wish I had saved my receipts from my past shopping trips so that I could give the cashier's names.
The Following User Says Thank You to rezacey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2012, 09:29 AM

My Mood/Status:
Treeg1999 has posted more than 5 good deals
It is ourageous that these cashiers act as if the money is coming out of their own pockets! I just had a similiar experience at Walmart and I will be complaining to management about it. throughout teh entire transaction she complained to me about how much she hated coupons. I have 6 items and 4 coupons! Is it that hard? If these cashiers are not grateful to be employed well guess what, someone else will appreciate the opportunity for employment in this economy.

I am in MD and have had several bad experiences with the Fort Meade base cashiers and baggers and have complained on each account. I now bag my own groceries and take them out to my car myself and do not tip the baggers.

Complain. Someone else would be happy to learn the coupon policy and have a job, guaranteed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Treeg1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 11:57 AM

ebonyannette has posted more than 400 great deals!ebonyannette has posted more than 400 great deals!ebonyannette has posted more than 400 great deals!ebonyannette has posted more than 400 great deals!ebonyannette has posted more than 400 great deals!
I agree, customer service has just gone down the drain in most parts of the country. I am in the South and have had the absolute rudest customer service I have ever had in my life (originally from California).

I think management does come down on them, with regards to coupons and the cashier not paying attention to what they are accepting. However, its not OUR fault. We are just trying to save money if they are not paying attention to what they are doing, we shouldnt have to pay for it with a bad attitude.

What most of the cashiers do at my commissary is take the coupons before they start scanning anything, read through them and set them aside so they know what products to look out for. Once everything is scanned, they scan my coupons and that way they are more familiar with whether I got that item or not.

I dont really care that they do it that way, whatever floats your boat. They never find me doing anything wrong anyways so I dont care. Im sure there are people who use coupons wrong and it causes a big to do.

But if they are just scanning, not paying attention then when the coupon beeps they are like "did you get this?" well, were you paying attention or running your mouth to other cashiers about what you did last night? Now we have to dig through the bags to prove I got that item..FOOLISHNESS, then people behind me start making comments about how they got in the wrong line.

Some people just make things more stressful than it has to be, when I see a b*tchy cashier, I just assume he/shes been written up recently for not doing their job right and realize he/she will probably be out of there soon anyways.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebonyannette For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 03:21 PM

if I owe you feedback please let me...

My Mood/Status:
thebramblett4 has posted more than 400 great deals!thebramblett4 has posted more than 400 great deals!thebramblett4 has posted more than 400 great deals!thebramblett4 has posted more than 400 great deals!thebramblett4 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadicpixie View Post
Contact DeCa. Please contact DeCA. This cashiers behavior is against everything DeCA stands for. Politely explain what has been said, muttered, and their attitude. Also explain they are refusing to follow the policy. DeCA will ensure it is corrected.

A bit of background for you - Both locations have had plenty of high volume users there. They have had the couponers who special order 500 items and get hundreds in overage (past deals, I wish they still existed). So its not that the store doesn't know the policy. DeCA has been contacted in the past. So either its the whole store who needs a reminder - which DeCA will not like since they've had issues in the past. Or its a grouchy cashier who should not be working with customers (I bet this one is the case). Make sure you give them the name of the cashier and you can also give them the info from your latest transaction (found on the receipt). The cashier needs to understand that as long as you follow the rules you can use coupons - hundreds if you want. Its not her business and if she doesn't like DeCAs policy then she needs to work elsewhere.
I run a small page on FB for couponers at my local base (Holloman AFB). We post deals, trade coupons, and just always help each other out. We have one specific cashier at our commissary is not friendly at all when it comes to coupons. One of my better friends at this base, just went to the commissary on Friday and did a regular shopping trip. She had quiet a few coupons and about half were IP. The cashier refused all of her IP coupons because they were in B&W and not in color. But to top it all off the cashier refused to give her the coupons back. She was so upset because the coupons were valued at about $45.00 (which put her way over her budget for this pay period). I was so mad for her…and it didn't even happen to me. Anyway I had her contact the store director and she is supposed to go in and meet with him to discuss what happened to her.

I understand the cashiers don't want to get in trouble, but like you said they are dealing with people there's no need to be rude just because we have/use coupons. I can't seem to find where the commissary states that IP need to be in color (because I don't think it's in the policy). I have used BW IP before and one cashier told me my coupon were copied and I was polite and firm in telling/showing her they were not copied. As a couponer it's frustrating to encounter this rude behavior not to mention feeling like a criminal because I am using coupons!

Anyway not that I'm glad to hear that others are having issues, but I'm glad to hear it's not just our store. And I'm glad to hear that store directors are taking it seriously. I informed my friend that if try to tell her, that her coupons are counterfeit she should ask to see the official DECA statement saying so!

Good luck to everyone, hopefully if we keep contacting store directors we can get these cashiers trained like they should be

Jennifer

Last edited by thebramblett4; 01-15-2012 at 03:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to thebramblett4 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 08:16 PM

Eat,Love,Coupon.

My Mood/Status:
sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Very frustrating here too!I am only going there for groceries now,or make multiple trips when I have to buy large quantities.

Sent from my iPod touch using AFullCup

A first time SAHM to my dearest Faith Aurora
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A devoting wife
to a wonderful Coastie
Old 01-22-2012, 08:17 PM

Eat,Love,Coupon.

My Mood/Status:
sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!sunflowercafe has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
BTW,I am in AFB Fairfield ,CA

Sent from my iPod touch using AFullCup

A first time SAHM to my dearest Faith Aurora
A devoting wife
to a wonderful Coastie
Old 01-23-2012, 04:52 AM

My Mood/Status:
courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!courtneydmartin21 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
i just dont get it. if you don't want to scan coupons, don't be a cashier or even involve yourself in any sort of sales period. sheesh ppl act like this is 1982 when gas was under $1 and bananas were .10/lb. those days are over and more and more ppl are smartening up and couponing. hope all goes well w/ contacting DeCa.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM

Here we are two weeks later and DeCA has yet to give me a response! I got the email run-around from office folk who are "forwarding" my message to the correct contact person.

The two small trips I made this week went very smoothly. It is just luck of the draw as to whether or not you will get a competent cashier. To make matters worse, when the store is busy, there is often an employee directing you to go through a particular cashier's line, making it impossible to avoid certain ones.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:22 AM

off to study

My Mood/Status:
autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!autumnkavila has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezacey View Post
Here we are two weeks later and DeCA has yet to give me a response! I got the email run-around from office folk who are "forwarding" my message to the correct contact person.

The two small trips I made this week went very smoothly. It is just luck of the draw as to whether or not you will get a competent cashier. To make matters worse, when the store is busy, there is often an employee directing you to go through a particular cashier's line, making it impossible to avoid certain ones.
I'd go straight to DeCa's FB page and let them know that you contacted them and have yet to get a response and are getting the run-around. That has happened to me a few times before and as soon as I wrote on their FB wall I get an email response/phone call within 48 hours.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnkavila View Post
I'd go straight to DeCa's FB page and let them know that you contacted them and have yet to get a response and are getting the run-around. That has happened to me a few times before and as soon as I wrote on their FB wall I get an email response/phone call within 48 hours.
Thanks for the advice. I will do that.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:22 PM

tatobos has posted more than 5 good deals
OMG.......I am at wright-patt and i dont think any of the cashiers know the coupon policy. They have pretty much turned down all of my printed coupons and even when I call the manager over somehow I walk out of there with all my printed coupons in my hand. I just stopped printing them because I was tired of the nonsense. I had no idea DECA would even care to hear about my problems, seeing is how couponing is going so extreme these days. I have thought of just quiting using coupons all together because I really do feel like everybody thinks Im a criminal.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 PM

NVof4
I have had a problem the past couple of times with the cashiers not taking more than one like internet printable coupon. Even though, the coupon states nothing about one per transaction or customer. I talked with a manager after my last trip and she said the cashier should have taken them and if I ever have a question to ask for a manager to be sent over. The last cashier also made me feel like I was doing something wrong and pretty much accused me of copying my coupons. I tried to tell her that most sites, like coupons.com, let you print two of the same coupons. It didn't seem to change anything and she became even snippier.

Last edited by NVof4; 01-31-2012 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Easy2save has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Do you guys do "body language" assessments when you are in line? I know, very hard to do, logistically speaking. It's not a fix to the issues you all are having. The issue is fix the problem. But, these are federal workers; they are almost immune to any meaningful correction and they sure don't fear losing their jobs. That's why I employ looking at the body language of workers to determine who I do NOT want to have to deal with. I will let peeps in front of me before I deal with someone that I can tell is likely to cause me grief.

Before I went to the airlines to work as a customer, I used to do this, also. It's interesting because once I was on the other side of the counter, I increased my understanding of both sides of customer and rep. interactions. When I had irregular opps (that's when a flight cancels or is so late, passengers have to be rebooked at the airport), I got verification that others use body language assessments when a customer or two would tell me after waiting in line a long time, they chose to wait until I was available to assist them because they could tell I was nice enough and engaged enough to do a good job for them.

I also will skip a cashier available in the commissary in favor of what I believe will be a better experience. Occasionally, it's worth it...
Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM

is checking out the CVS postings, man I love that store!

My Mood/Status:
monkeybear has posted more than 150 good deals!monkeybear has posted more than 150 good deals!
Ok, a few things I have learned about IP's and the Commy. First, the Q's printed from Smartsource.com that only have a single UPC are "not allowable". I do not understand why that is. But that is the answer I have had from different cashiers from different stores. Secondly, each Q you ring from coupons.com has an individual pin number. So if you are accused of copying the Q's because you're too cheap to waste your color ink on them (like me!) then point out the different numbers. Obviously, if it was a copy it would be the same number.
I share your frustrations with the cashiers. It is just scanning something. If I didn't have Q's they would be scanning someone else's groceries. Why is scanning one thing different than scanning another?