How To Save A Lot Here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Time to get back into this
Learning more everyday

My Mood/Status:
labnjab has posted more than 25 good deals
How to save a lot here.

I have been wondering this for awhile. My fiance and I are the only 2 people in our household and we were wondering how we can save more money without having to buy in bulk or buy extra that we won't use. We don't have any kids yet so we can't really see buying 3 items to save a $1.

We spend about $100 each week on groceries. I would love to be able to cut that down to $60. Even less would be better of course.

Any ideas on what we can do?

Thank you for any help.
The Following User Says Thank You to labnjab For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-14-2012, 09:07 AM

RE: How to save a lot here.

is planning her next adventure.

My Mood/Status:
JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Stockpile. When an item that you normally buy is at its rock-bottom price, buy multiples--as many as you'll use before the item goes bad or before it's likely to be that cheap again. That's the best way to bring your spending down.

Here's an example that's relevant to my family. In the winter, we can easily consume five cans of Progresso soup a week. If I bought it at its regular price (say, $2.00 per can), I'd be paying $10 a week just for soup. Instead, I stock up once a year when I can get the soup for $.50 or less per can, thus saving $7.50 per week just on this one item.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:24 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rachelhale has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Its only my husband, myself and a 3 year old (who doesn't eat much), but I buy multiple items when on sale and paired with a coupon. For example, a box of crackers is on sale for $2, the regular price being $3. We go through a box of crackers in about 2 weeks, so we buy a box every other week. In a span of 6 months, that means 12 boxes of crackers (with a regular price of $36). If I buy 12 boxes of crackers when they are on sale for $2 and have a coupon good for $1/2, that means I'm only spending $18 on those 12 boxes of crackers. That's a savings of $18. When you first start couponing you may feel like you are spending more than normal because you are buying in volume, when before you weren't. Once you have your pantry stocked, your weekly grocery bill we be dramatically lower. For the most part the only thing I buy on a weekly basis is milk, fresh fruits/veggies and sometimes meat. Everything else is in the pantry or in the freezer, purchased when on sale.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rachelhale For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2012, 04:46 PM

is planning her next adventure.

My Mood/Status:
JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!JudithMR has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Exactly. I usually find one or two items a week to stock up on, but the rest is mostly dairy and produce. I'd say we've cut our weekly grocery spending by about 40%, and we're eating as well as, if not better than, we did before I started stockpiling.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:05 PM

My Mood/Status:
mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!mforward has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Even with just two of you there are items that you use on a regular basis, such as TP, deo, feminine stuff and the like. Those are easy to stockpile and get good deals on especially drugstore weekly sales. You can always stock up on sales of staples such as sugar, flour, seasonings, canned goods which all have a long shelf life. Look at your consumption and buying patterns and you will see what you can stockpile. Also, I think meal planning according to sales is a good plan too. Chicken on sale this week? Well think of menus plus freeze some for later.
The Following User Says Thank You to mforward For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2012, 10:24 PM

Time to get back into this
Learning more everyday

My Mood/Status:
labnjab has posted more than 25 good deals
Thank you everyone for all the great info and tips so far. Everything suggested is a great idea. Now all I need to do is figure out what to stockpile up on this week. It just sounded so expensive but the way you all explained it, it doesn't sound so bad after all.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM

Climb the stairs of life and never look back.....

My Mood/Status:
marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Please also know (where there is just two of you it is sooo possible to do, I shop for a family of four on less than what you spend on two, and that includes Health & Beauty and cleaning etc) I found through this site, under frugal living, recipes and planning menus to help with costs, and tons more, like making a habit of recycling your cans when you go to the grocery store and put that towards your check out w/ coupons. Ideas like you can freeze coffee creamers like coffee mate, and deli meat also, crockpot meals instead of using the oven, baking muffins or brownies while using your oven etc, and of course you will be amazed at mail in rebates on things you purchase on a daily basis. Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." Clive James
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife to Tony
and mom of DS 7 yrs
and 2 yr old DS
"If the TRUTH makes you uncomfortable, you may want to ask yourself why this is so?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marnimae For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2012, 05:54 AM

My Mood/Status:
blblue66 has posted more than 400 great deals!blblue66 has posted more than 400 great deals!blblue66 has posted more than 400 great deals!blblue66 has posted more than 400 great deals!blblue66 has posted more than 400 great deals!
I'd also suggest using the sales paired with coupons at the drug stores like Rite Aid, CVS and Walgreens to get your health and beauty aids, paper products, cleaning supplies... for cheap. Stockpiling those items will reduce your weekly costs for sure.

Some people do really well at Target too. Using the target printable coupons with manufactors coupons and sales enables them to stock up on non food items as well.

You will get yourself in a pattern of replenishing your stockpile and buying your weekly grocery items while staying in your budget.

FWIW I spend less than $100 per week for our family of 4. We eat gluten free, a lot of organic and fresh produce.

Good luck, there is a learning curve but totally worth it.

The Following User Says Thank You to blblue66 For This Useful Post: