Bombarded With Charities Asking For Donations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2012, 02:44 PM
not again!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!skbrush has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Question bombarded with charities asking for donations

I did a test of sorts last month. I asked my dad to keep all the charity mail he gets in a bag. He received over 30 mailings last month. He is retired/diasabled with MS. He loves to help who he can but it seems that each times he donates he gets ten more places asking for money.We both give what we can but it seems like he is bombarded with requests. Do you think names are sold for profit with in the organizations? Something like that must be going on. He gets Church, Military, American Indian, Artistic groups, Easter Seals, Red Cross, Lung Association. The list seems endless. I think he feels trapped into giving. I know he does if the send a "gift". I am worried if he continues to give he won't be able to pay his bills. I signed him up for one of those don't send lists in hopes he will get less. Personally I only give locally, therefore I don't get near as many offers.
Plz comment

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 02:47 PM

RE: bombarded with charities asking for donations

Supporting Member

jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My grandfather has the same thing happen to him. He has a set list of charities he will give to and says no to the others because it is just too much. It is not just in the mail either, I believe they call as well.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Coupons are my BFFs :)

My Mood/Status:
greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!greenbug728 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
We always donate to Cook Children's Hospital in Ft. Worth and St. Jude hospital, but that's it. We may get one or two mailings through out the year. But usually not from either of those. I do get emails from the local homeless shelter where we donate tons of excess stockpile items to. They just say what items they are in desperate need of at the time, but I signed up to receive those emails .

I do work as a manager at a big movie theater though, and it is non-stop how many donation request we get. Some are legit charities and we always donate for their silent auctions, but some are businesses like US Celluar that wants to "reward" their employees by us giving them free tickets! I have had more than my share of grown adults pitch a fit in front of me because we would not give them free stuff!! Not lying at all here either. I had a guy today get so mad he slammed our doors because we couldn't help raise money to get himself a new motorcycle. I told him we had given all of our passes out to local schools, and he said "They have government money, they don't need donations!" Ugh! I really hate people like that too.
The Following User Says Thank You to greenbug728 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 11:50 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
It is INSANE the way these "charities" and interest groups trade names and prey on old people. I have been helping my Dad handle his mail for several months now. He doesn't give that much, $5 here, $10 there, but the mail and phone calls never end. And the POLITICAL mail!! All from "committees" with weird names, scare tactics, etc.....sometimes 3 and 4 pieces of mail from the SAME place a day, all packaged to look "official"......thankfully, he was still "with it" and has never been taken advantage of, and I think he kind of enjoyed getting a lot of mail. He is now in a nursing home. At the house, I pick up the mail every 2 days or so and a huge mailbox is STUFFED. He is in hospice and will be gone very soon, and trying to get this mail stopped is one of the things I dread.