Anyone Have Back Surgery For Herniated Disc--so Much Pain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 08:22 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Anyone have back surgery for herniated disc--so much pain

I had my 3rd back surgery last May, and I am just done. I can't take the pain anymore. I still have a herniated disc, there is scar tissue wrapped around the nerves, have sciatic pain in both legs and 2 surgeons recomend a 2 level fusion. I hate my life. I have 2 kids 11 and 13, and I can't do anything with them. I am 38 and I have no life. I never go anywhere but CVS and Target . I can't walk much. I just can't take it, horrible life. Anyone have anything like this? Maybe you know something I don't know, I have been dealing with this since 1997, when I had my first surgery, but much worse since this last surgery.
The Following User Says Thank You to missyp997 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM

RE: Anyone have back surgery for herniated disc--so much pain

My Mood/Status:
Josefina831 has posted more than 1 good deal
I hope u don't get that surgery. I Injured my lumbar area disc protrusion at L3, L4, L5. I had surgery in 1997. Big mistake I have chronic pain. surgery caused nerve damage. Don't recommend any one to have surgery. U need to find other ways to relief the pain. I have.
The Following User Says Thank You to Josefina831 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Well I already had 3 back surgeries, L4 and L5. The first 2 surgeries helped, but this last one did me in. I went to therapy, they stopped it since it made me worse. Had epidural injections, did nothing. Now I live on meds that mess with my brain. I have no desire to have a 2 level fusion, so trying to live without that. As long as I stay on the couch all day and do nothing I am better, but what kind of life is that.
The Following User Says Thank You to missyp997 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 PM

My Mood/Status:
KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!
I had the L5 rupture and surgery in 1998 surgeon told me in later years I would have arthuritis.. but not much they could do about it.I tried not to have the surgery, but the only relief I got was a pain pill, and they knocked me out, so I really had no choice. I traded one pain for another, but this one I can live with. I don't walk a lot as I also have neuropathy and it can get pretty painful.

so sorry hope you can get some help . don't give up somewhere there is something to help.
The Following User Says Thank You to KayceK For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have a herniated L5 and sciatica. Originally my doctors were pushing me to have surgery, but having seen so many horror stories working for a medmal defense firm (even when the dr did nothing wrong the patients were often worse off with surgery) I refused. I've learned to sit properly not to antagonize it..

When I was still working my sciatica was awful one day (just turning my foot three inches to the side was agonizing!) someone yelled fire and next thing the alarm is blaring. I was the last one out, waited so no one would hear me scream when I stood up!

Now if it flares bad I take Tylenol 3, it takes the edge off. Using a power chair for other reasons has helped too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 01:30 AM

My Mood/Status:
trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I have the bulging discs at L3 L4 and L5 with early evidence of DDD, major crazy sciatic issues, and when I walk for more than about 20 min now, I lose feeling down in my left foot, which is better than the crazy pain down my leg, and around my knee. I don't qualify for surgery, but I do the epidural steroid shots. They don't fix it, but they do relieve the pain for 6 months to a year, unless I injure myself of course. The last rounds of shots lasted from May to February, and now I'm contemplating scheduling again. Unfortunately, I am developing an allergy to the steroid, so not sure what in the world we will do if it worsens.

Try a pain management Dr if you haven't. I can get temporary relief from a deep massage (it loosens the grip on the tendons and muscle mostly, doesn't do anything for the spasms though).

Hugs.
The Following User Says Thank You to trishmom2five For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 01:58 AM

cashman has posted more than 25 good deals
I have 9 discs either herniated or ruptured the pain is so bad I cry myself to sleep most nights. I started with L3 4 &5 when I was 17. I have an amazing doctor tho & he told me back then never get surgery b/c the discs will eventually decompress as u age and the fusion can actually make others go faster. Im 36 now and I've heard so many awful stories about fusion surgery. Hydrocodone helps the pain but after all these years not too much. I try to go get a massage twice a month. It helps immensely ... recently I discovered cupping. Which is part of my regular massage now. Last time o got it I was pain free for 2 days. It sounds like nothing... but for me it was incredible. Its expensive but worth it (I know were frugal here ) I also got on permanent disability which helps too. If nothing else know ur not alone in this especially when it feels so overwhelming. Good luck hope u improve.
The Following User Says Thank You to cashman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 07:08 AM

is truly blessed!!

My Mood/Status:
preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have herniated disk. When I was a teen, I had surgery for scoliosis and have a rod in my back for it. The orthopedic doctors said there is nothing they can do for me because of the surgery I had for scoliosis. They sent me to a pain management clinic for the herniated disk. I had one epidural spinal injection and that really din't help. I can't sit wihout pain, I can't stand without leaning on something or its very painful. Walking is worse. The pain medication makes me sleepy, so I don't take it during the day.
The pain management doctor and I had a disagreement about medication he was giving me and the side effects so I stop seeing him and suffer. I go this friday to my primary to get a referral to a new pain management doctor.
I went to physical therapy for a couple of days, but couldn't take the massage. It was just too painful. I have nerve pain in my left leg from the knee down. Nerve pain in my right leg down to the knee.

I hope we all find some relief.
Go ahead......
Say something!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 AM

puggedbymeeko has posted more than 5 good deals
My husbad had l5/s1 surgery in 8/2010. He reinjured on 2/25/11 and has been out of work ever since. He's slowly recovering. It wasn't until January that he really started noticing the pain going away. I'm sorry you're going through this.