My 3yr Old Daughter Has Broken Her Elbow. Any Tips On To How To Make Her Comfortable?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 03:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shkNDO9wSjs
I <3 Coupons!

My Mood/Status:
2007keri has posted more than 50 good deals
Help Sign My 3yr old daughter has broken her elbow. Any tips on to how to make her comfortable?

Well last week I had injured my neck causing a pinched nerve and making my right arm very hard to use, so my mom had taken my kids to her house to watch on Friday so I could get some rest. Well after they had been there only about 2 hours my daughter had fallen off my mom's new couch, which is quite high off the ground and landed weird hurting her left arm. So my mom tried to take her to the ER bc she had been crying for about 45 mins about her arm hurting and my DD is not a complainer at all. So my mom gets to the ER and as soon as they get there my daughter(probably very scared) decideds she doesn't want to be there and lifts her arm above her head (the one she had hurt and didn't want to move at all before) so my mom thought she was ok and decided to take her home. Well my mom called me very early the next morning telling me that she was worried about Kylie's arm still bc she was crying and cranky all night (unusual for her). So my husband and I go pick up the kids and take her to an Urgent Care center(so now it was Saturday). They take x-rays but the doctor seeing her didn't see any breaks so he just said the pain she was having was probably due to a bone bruise and that in a couple of days she would be fine and just give her some tylenol for the pain when needed. So I take her home and notice that she refuses to do anything with her left arm, she can't get on the couch, a chair, the potty, etc. And she was very fussy and complained about her arm. I got a call yesterday around 3PM from the Urgent Care saying that they had another Doctor and a radiologist examine her x-rays closer and found a break in her Ulna and that we needed to bring her back in for a splint cast. So we take her in and now shes all fixed up with this temporary cast until next Sunday when they want to take it off and do more x-rays of her arm. I have been up with her now most of the night, she will sleep about 3 1/2hours at a time then her meds run out and she will wake up in pain. They didn't give me any pain medicine for her but told me to continue the tylenol or motrin. I am trying to make her comfortable but her cast is bending her arm and it's so heavy and I can't imagine how hard it is to sleep for her to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make her more comfortable? Has anyone been through anything like this with their kids?

Thank you!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0606110456-00 kylies broken elbow.jpg (128.8 KB, 39 views)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kylie (3yrs old) and my litte
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zachary (4 yrs old) and pet mom to our cat
Bella.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 03:49 AM

RE: My 3yr old daughter has broken her elbow. Any tips on to how to make her comfortable?

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
How does she usually sleep, side, back or on stomach? Prop the arm where is is at the same level as her shoulder, using travel sized pillow or stuffed animal. Make it where she is almost in a "nest", where she can't flip around. CALL the Drs office and tell the nurse she is unable to sleep at night due to the pain and you need something stronger, at least for the nighttime... When all else fails try a child's dose of Benadryl. Are you alternating the tylenol and motrin? Check with the nurse but you can usually give them more frequently that way...
Good luck and try to get some rest yourself! xoxoxo

I am so far behind I think I'm First!
Old 06-06-2011, 07:17 AM

RE: My 3yr old daughter has broken her elbow. Any tips on to how to make her comfortable?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Chica the pug says "Howdy y'all!"

My Mood/Status:
ChicaInTexas has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ChicaInTexas has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ChicaInTexas has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ChicaInTexas has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ChicaInTexas has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ChicaInTexas has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ChicaInTexas has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ChicaInTexas has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
My son broke his radius and ulna this week. He is 15 and the cast is heavy to him...can't imagine how heavy it must be to a 3 year old!

I agree with Susuz, call your doc and ask for pain meds. Your baby will sleep better (and so will you!) and she will heal faster. She may only need the meds for a day or two.

Good luck! I hope she feels better soon! And I hope your neck feels better, too.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChicaInTexas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 10:22 AM

wait a second, I might have a coupon for that!
Looking for my other flip flop!

My Mood/Status:
ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!ypatton has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Try blowing cold air from a hair dryer inside the cast before bedtime - tell the child you are "blowing away" the discomfort so they can sleep!
Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I would find a portable fan (that runs on batteries) that she can use when she gets an itch or a pain. And point the fan into the top of the cast to help change the termperature of the skin. You can use a hair dryer, too, but the fan makes it feel cooler. Also make sure she doesn't stick anything down the cast (which is easier said than done) You can also cool the entire cast by using ice - but with the heat wave, the ice is going to melt quickly.
The Following User Says Thank You to SD19565 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2011, 11:15 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shkNDO9wSjs
I <3 Coupons!

My Mood/Status:
2007keri has posted more than 50 good deals
Yes I am alternating the tylenol and Motrin, and she usually sleeps on her stomach so keeping her on her back with her arm propped with pillows has been hard on her. But I think I will call them and see if they can give me something stronger for her so she can sleep at night. Thank you all for the advice! I didn't think about blowing cold air in her cast.
Kylie (3yrs old) and my litte
Zachary (4 yrs old) and pet mom to our cat
Bella.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:15 AM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2007keri View Post
Yes I am alternating the tylenol and Motrin, and she usually sleeps on her stomach so keeping her on her back with her arm propped with pillows has been hard on her. But I think I will call them and see if they can give me something stronger for her so she can sleep at night. Thank you all for the advice! I didn't think about blowing cold air in her cast.
You can still do it if she sleeps on her stomach, you can even take a small towel, roll it up to the right size and put on the side of the cast that will be facing the mattress. Then take a hand towel, wrap it around the rolled towel and the cast, safety pin on top. I have also done this with a small stuffed animal, tell your DD that bear (or whatever) is going to "kiss the ouchie to make it better while you sleep".

How is your DD doing now?

I am so far behind I think I'm First!

Tags
broken elbow child pain