Have Any Of You Ever Had To Have Your Ears Irrigated?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 05:58 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Has a new Luv--couponing, luv luv'in it!!

My Mood/Status:
luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Have any of you ever had to have your ears irrigated?

I have been having some issues with my ears for some time now, I kept hoping it would get better. Some times they ache, ( not a severe pain though) they get real itchy down inside, sometimes my ears plug up all at once, I have some dizziness. My friends mom had this happend to her before, she went to dr. and had her ears cleaned and irrigated, the dr. took out a lot of ear wax. I have never had this done before, I hate the thought of something going inside my ear. Any one ever had issues like this?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 05-08-2010, 06:40 PM

RE: Have any of you ever had to have your ears irrigated?

2014 YTD Savings: $2076
My Mood/Status:
2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My husband has this from time to time, except I've never heard him complain of itchiness. He gets really dizzy sometimes. Last week they really bothered him. He won't go to the doctor like I tell him to. He put peroxide in his ears and said it helped some. He's convinced it's an ear infection that comes and goes. But he's hard headed and won't listen to me. Sorry I can't be any help but I hope you feel better soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2boys4me For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2010, 06:42 PM

Shopping for great deals

My Mood/Status:
Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Justlooking1208 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
We were JUST talking about this yesterday. yes, it makes you really dizzy for a few minutes, but your fine after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justlooking1208 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 03:08 PM

JNeme1999 has posted more than 200 great deals!JNeme1999 has posted more than 200 great deals!JNeme1999 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Yes I've had it done a couple of times. It made me dizzy also but after I was able to hear much better. It feels like someone is shooting one of those super soaker water guns in your ear. Yes, it is uncomfortable but the results are worth it.
The Following User Says Thank You to JNeme1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 03:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
clp8904 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clp8904 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clp8904 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clp8904 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clp8904 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clp8904 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clp8904 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clp8904 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clp8904 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNeme1999 View Post
Yes I've had it done a couple of times. It made me dizzy also but after I was able to hear much better. It feels like someone is shooting one of those super soaker water guns in your ear. Yes, it is uncomfortable but the results are worth it.

Exactly how I would describe it too. A little uncomfortable but you will be amazed at how well you can hear when all that wax is gone. I had it done twice.
The Following User Says Thank You to clp8904 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 03:17 PM

bud01cats has posted more than 50 good deals
I work in a family practice office - sometimes your ears itch due to allergies and Zytec or Sudafed will help. Other times it is a wax build up and an ear wash is appropriate. You should see the stuff that can come out of an ear! Sometimes it is the end of a Q tip that has collected wax and other times it is just a hard ball of wax. It is amazing how much stuff can be in one little ear. An ear wash is not always the answer and some people tolerate it well while others find it uncomfortable.
The Following User Says Thank You to bud01cats For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 03:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!cathyw has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
My mom had it done several times and it was painful for her. The doctor told me to buy Debrox.
The Following User Says Thank You to cathyw For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 03:54 PM

working hard for the money so I can go shopping
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!vartrip has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Let's just say our trip to Hawaii involved this. After snorkeling in the water and then going to the top of the volcano my husband came back to the hotel and he could not hear out of one ear. The next morning I went to the grocery store and got an earrinse kit that had the bulb in it. After doing some research online the best option is to put hydrogen peroxide in their ear and have it sit for 5 mins or so. Tilt your head over the sink to let the fluid out and use the bulb with warm water to irrigate it. Also have lots of q tips on had and an extra set of eyes. Chucks of wax were coming out but some were too big so I saw it and had to use the q tip to get it out or else he was going to push it back in. The hydrogen peroxide might take a few times depending on how bad it is. Thankfully this helped and we were able to enjoy the rest of our wedding anniversary/ vacation.
The Following User Says Thank You to vartrip For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 04:14 PM

paying off debt and organizing the home

My Mood/Status:
cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cantstopshopping has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My son (teenager) had to have this done last year, and the results were fantastic for him.

I've never had it done myself, so really can't say what it's like.
The Following User Says Thank You to cantstopshopping For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 06:44 PM

wants you to come bid on my auction!

My Mood/Status:
bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!bargainshopper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have a real problem with my ears. They itch soooo bad. I am constantly iching them. Just when I think they are getting better it starts back up again. Then on occasion I will feel some pain like an earache. It is driving me bonkers. It has been going on about a year now. I did ask a doctor about it once and he said there really wasn't anything that he could tell. Putting peroxide in my ears is usually what would cause the aching so I haven't done it in a while.
The Following User Says Thank You to bargainshopper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 04:33 AM

My Mood/Status:
krystenn88 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!krystenn88 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!krystenn88 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!krystenn88 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!krystenn88 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!krystenn88 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I got to where I couldn't hear, thought I was going deaf. Sometimes would feel itchy, and feel like there was a huge wax buildup. Never had any dizziness. I used to use a bobby pin(I know, very bad idea) and peroxide to clean out the wax. Finally went to the dr. He removed wax and irrigated my ears a couple times. Said my ear canals were very small and I might consider ear tubes. My ears are sensitive and I got tired of having problems with them, so at 39, I had ear tubes put in both ears, and been doing well with them. Never had the urge to put anything in my ears again.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:14 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals

My Mood/Status:
dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dollface4111 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My kids have terrible allergies, and their ears plug up often. Our Dr. told me to put a little drop of olive oil in their ears, it worked wonders!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Logan, 10
Blake, 8
Shane, 6
and wife to wonderful husband Grant
The Following User Says Thank You to dollface4111 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 05:56 AM

My Mood/Status:
mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!
I have very small ear canals, and I go in 2-3 times a year for problems with build up. The irrigation really isn't that bad. A previous poster said super soaker in your ear, and it can be like that, but the water is warm and if the nurse/doc doing is gentle it's not so bad. I can always hear better afterwards!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmahanna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 06:10 AM

babybleueyes1017 has posted more than 300 great deals!babybleueyes1017 has posted more than 300 great deals!babybleueyes1017 has posted more than 300 great deals!babybleueyes1017 has posted more than 300 great deals!
I'm a nurse in an internal med clinic. We do use peroxide to break up the wax a bit first, but we also send patients home with a little liquid docusate (the stuff that "doesn't make you poop, just makes it easier to poop") then we flush it. Or we will give Debrox. I would really recommend before you try any home remedy that you see your dr first. They are the only one's who can look in your ear to determine if it is wax, or if there is something else going on. But, if you do need a flush, most of my patients tell me its not bad and they feel a million times better afterwards.
Oh and fyi...bobby pins in your ear is a BAD plan. You could rupture your ear drum, cause yourself to get an outer ear infection from the scraping and that is no fun! The rule is..nothing bigger than a pinky finger in your ear...EVER
HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to babybleueyes1017 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 06:16 AM

My Mood/Status:
mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!mmahanna has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by babybleueyes1017 View Post
The rule is..nothing bigger than a pinky finger in your ear...EVER
HTH
Hehe! My doc always warns me nothing smaller than my elbow! It never gets old, and every time he says it like it's as funny as the first time...
The Following User Says Thank You to mmahanna For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 06:18 AM

Getting ready for Christmas

My Mood/Status:
babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!babyfordawn1983 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmahanna View Post
I have very small ear canals, and I go in 2-3 times a year for problems with build up. The irrigation really isn't that bad. A previous poster said super soaker in your ear, and it can be like that, but the water is warm and if the nurse/doc doing is gentle it's not so bad. I can always hear better afterwards!
I am the same way! The doc sees me coming and gets everything ready for me. LOL I don't even have to tell them the problem, they know. The first 2-3 times I had it done was a little weird but you get used to it. I go in every 3-4 months to have my ears irragated. They do have the kits at the drug stores but from my experiance, it does more damage than good for me in particular.
The Following User Says Thank You to babyfordawn1983 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 06:30 AM

jvy34 has posted more than 150 good deals!jvy34 has posted more than 150 good deals!
2boys4me

I can't remember what the doctor called what I had but I started getting very dizzy sick dizzy when I leaned my head back. I had some calisum (spelling?) floating around in my ear area or something. I didn't really understand what it was! But that is what made my ears bother me and the dizzines. I went to a PT and he had me turn this way and that way and sit up etc. and it was gone! Really weird! He said he had people coiming in who couldn't walk and had to have a bucket cause the dizziness made them sick. Again Very weird. And it can come and go so it may be your husbands problem.
Sorry this is so long.
The Following User Says Thank You to jvy34 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2010, 06:34 AM

My Mood/Status:
dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dwhengel has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My husband dived wrong into a lake when we were visiting his family several years back. He came up and couldn't hear out of one ear.

It ended up being impacted wax. He did end up getting the ear irrigated, and the Dr's office used half-n-half warm water and hydrogen peroxide the first time. Subsequent times they told him to use the Debrox (which is a different peroxide) unless it was just too much for him, then for him to come in and they'd flush it again.

Della
If we don't have what you are looking for, please email us and
we're more than happy to work with other groups to find you the perfect companion.
The Following User Says Thank You to dwhengel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2011, 07:30 PM

yamagirl has posted more than 150 good deals!yamagirl has posted more than 150 good deals!
How do you know if you need this done or not?
Old 03-13-2011, 07:39 PM

gmsifford2000 has posted more than 150 good deals!gmsifford2000 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I'm a nurse. I used to have to clean some patients ears out once a month per doctors orders. We used Debrox (it's like a thick peroxide gel). Instill the Debrox into the ears, wait several minutes and then we irrigated the ears, using a bulb syringe and warm water. Like someone else on here, you would be surprised how much wax comes out of some people's ears. I've seen balls of wax nearly the size of a garbanzo bean. It would seal the ear canal! Sometimes in the doctor's office they use a water pik to irrigate the ears. I've never had anyone complain that it was painful.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:04 PM

My Mood/Status:
Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Cuse71cuse has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I had it done once. You should see the stuff that comes out of your ear when they irrigate it YUCK - the built up wax looks like little pebbles. I have never had it done again and that was over 16 years ago - but I put peroxide in my ears periodically so maybe that helps.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:59 PM

tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tcsmom has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Maybe you could try having your ears candled --- it totally works for me (and now I've got my whole family hooked on this). You can go and pay a salon to do this for you
($30 here) or go to a health food store and purchase the candles yourself for about $5 for 2 -- one for each ear.

Basically you stick the special candle in your ear (it doesn't go as far as a Q-tip), you light the other end on fire. I always cut a hole in a paper plate and stick the candle thru the hole in the plate because this helps me judge how close the fire is to my "patient's" head. The candle should be held in place and let burn until it gets close to the ear - use your own judgment. The smoke from the candle goes down into the inside of the candle and the warm ear wax is drawn up into the candle. Always have someone watch the candle for you (although my husband does it to himself sometimes when I'm no home - but I'm not that brave). Put out the candle. Then you can unwind what's left of the candle and see exactly how much wax is drawn out. It's amazing. And gross but I've always gotta look.

Ear irrigation can be EXTREMELY painful according to my grandpa and my brother. Both (especially my brother) has a pretty high tolerance for pain, but the whole process made him sick to his stomach (literally) because it was painful.
Old 03-13-2011, 09:12 PM

Please remember to leave feedback

My Mood/Status:
couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!couponaddicted has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvcatsbaskets View Post
I have been having some issues with my ears for some time now, I kept hoping it would get better. Some times they ache, ( not a severe pain though) they get real itchy down inside, sometimes my ears plug up all at once, I have some dizziness. My friends mom had this happend to her before, she went to dr. and had her ears cleaned and irrigated, the dr. took out a lot of ear wax. I have never had this done before, I hate the thought of something going inside my ear. Any one ever had issues like this?
OP, my son was having problems with his ears and the doctor told me to have him lay flat on his side and place a couple of drops of Hydrogen Peroxide in each of his ears. You will hear a fizzing sound in your ear, but it doesn't hurt. After the fizzing sound goes away, place cotton balls in the ear, which will help with any solution running out the ear, and then switch and do the other ear.

I do have to say it worked and remove a lot of the wax.