Kroger Vs. Tom Thumb? Keller, TX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2011, 07:18 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
moniclaire has posted more than 25 good deals
Question Kroger vs. Tom Thumb? Keller, TX

Alright, folks--

For those of you that have both Kroger and Tom Thumb (well, I guess Albertson's can be thrown in too) to choose from, which is better now? Since the DFW area stopped the double/triple q's at Kroger, I am a bit jaded.

Are there enough savings still to keep going? Or is it worth it to hop over to TT? It would be a new store to learn for me, since I don't go there often. Just thought I would ask for opinions.

Thanks!!
The Following User Says Thank You to moniclaire For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 09-27-2011, 07:39 PM

RE: Kroger vs. Tom Thumb? Keller, TX

hautie has posted more than 25 good deals
I have priced check the standard items, I tend to purchase at Kroger.... to Albertson's and Tom Thumb prices.

And Albertson is higher on all of them.

When I did my price comparison with Tom Thumb they were way higher.

This was me just looking at their normal stock prices. It all really depends on what you tend to buy week to week.

So I had been a faithful Kroger girl. Even if I am annoyed by the coupon thing.

But I will mention, that even with the much higher prices at Tom Thumb. My local TT store has a far superior Bakery than either Kroger or Albertson's.

When I need fresh baked bread or a cake/something sweet for a get together. I only buy them from Tom Thumb. Even with their big prices.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:45 PM

AFC Star Member

crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
All three stores are great, dont forget Brookshires, Sprouts, and Aldis too the simplest way to stretch your dollar the most is to shop the loss leaders from all those stores.

Save all your inserts to restock on produce on the price matching at Walmart, grab your milk & needs that are not on sale there as well using the overage created by deals like the Schick razors, cascade, trial toothpastes etc...
really if you want to save you need to be flexible on where you will shop. Is it worth it for you to learn to shop at a different store??

YES seriously now when stores change up things, redecorate etc.. that is when I score the best & most super scores, the deals others overlook. If you drag yourself through one store only and take that binder in with you shopping just that store cause it is most comfy and you are ok with saving 40%-65% IMHO you arent making the most of your time online and moneysaving coupons if you arent hitting a couple of stores every time you go out in this region..
the only excuse for north texans to be store loyal is when you live on the dirt road that leads to the gravel road that leads to the road to the interstate that takes you into town which has a quicky mart and one grocery store. (even then you go for those gas station drink coupons to take next door)

that is the thing that cripples shoppers the most that feeling of loyalty & comfort of familiar equates adding emotion to shopping. I dont feel love towards any store chain, I do love my money though If you only shop one store and that store discontinues something you use reguarly and count on for your budget and you dont do anything else--- you have shot yourself in the foot. The learning curve will cost you in time and energy.

Neither one of the stores are better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crybaby For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:10 PM

Lovin' da' tradin' on AFC
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
MissMyChris has posted more than 200 great deals!MissMyChris has posted more than 200 great deals!MissMyChris has posted more than 200 great deals!
Crybaby - you are too funny. I've got to remember the dirt road, gravel road.....

I only have Albertsons, Kroger and Walmart grocery stores in my area. I have compared prices on my standard items and Albertsons was higher than Kroger and Kroger higher than Walmart, therefore I follow Hautie's advice and shop sale items only at Albertsons, then Kroger then Walmart. I used to price match at Walmart to save on gas but Walmart has hassled me so much on my coupons that I buy from the store that offers the sale. I'm not feeling the love for Walmart lately.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DMIL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, four legged best friends
, DS who went home ahead of us
and heavenly father that lifts me up everyday
Old 09-27-2011, 10:38 PM

AFC Star Member

crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!crybaby has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Since I brought home megadealsfrom my frisco walmart this week I am in love, normally hate them but go figure have you emailed corporate about your walmart? It is worth it to complain as they do crack down on the local management.
Mine has come a long way on coupon use. I quit shopping there with coupons for a couple months during the register reward catalina hubbub

why dont you just buy at whatever store is offering that best price for your item? Saying this store is better for my standards cuts you off from all the freebies & stockpile cheapos the other stores offer. Shop your sale items wherever they are cheapest and that varys every week. I have compared every one of my areas stores prices and there is not one store that is consistent with pricing because of this economy and the crazy weather affecting crops & beef/dairy, also stock is changing sizes. Kroger has some items that look cheaper then Albies but there are smaller oz packages, vice versa

Albertsons is AWESOME deals just this last week got my free bar b que sauce & soap, Johnsons lotions at .88 and free sunscreens.
Why would you shop sale items only in a particular order of liking the store overall pricing on 'standards'?, makes sense to shop where the sale is best? I live near McKinney and have taught financial planning classes at a Church there
Make a list of the items that are free or cheap to stock up on every week at each store while you are online and plan your meals then around the loss leaders. Your need items are things you will run out of that you must have to carry on like soap and cat food and you buy only what you need to get through of that till the next week at your cheapest store which will probably be Walmart. Eliminating one of your chain grocery stores loss leaders & freebies creates more needs on your list. Even taking away the consideration of no doubles/triples with a coupon used- neither has better deals overall Kroger vs Albertsons in my part of NDFW
Old 09-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Amberita has posted more than 5 good deals
I agree, crybaby. I shop everywhere! Whoever has a good deal is asking me to pay them a visit. Lol. Tom thumb in Keller is actually about 10 minutes from me but I will happily make that trip if they have an awesome sale. I don't believe one grocery store is "better" than another. They all have their good weeks and bad weeks. =)
Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ms_courtney has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I did feel a lot of loyalty to my Kroger because it was close, I knew the layout, had fave cashiers, etc. It really hurt when they stopped doubling and tripling...psychologically if not financially. It just bugs me to know I have to pay for things I used to get for free! BUT that said, maybe the change will keep some high school and college kids employed. I'll deal. But I also wanted to say that to me Albertsons has consistently better deals on pantry goods. TT has good deals now and then, but not nearly as often. It's still worth it to cruise through the forums and see what's good out there each week. But I'll probably stick with Fiesta or Aldi for my weekly produce runs. I'm only hitting up major chains when there's a stock up price. My definition not theirs.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:50 AM

My Mood/Status:
at1120 has posted more than 400 great deals!at1120 has posted more than 400 great deals!at1120 has posted more than 400 great deals!at1120 has posted more than 400 great deals!at1120 has posted more than 400 great deals!
I loved couponing at kroger albertsons always gives me a problem about them. But if it means cheap/free i'll b there