How To Get The Most Gas Points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 10:29 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Always on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
memphiscouponer has posted more than 150 good deals!memphiscouponer has posted more than 150 good deals!
How to get the most gas points

Ok so I own a RV and will be taking a vacation soon and want to come up with ways to get my gas points up. I have about 250 now but that is not all that exciting. Anyone have any tips or tricks to help get your points up without spending a lot of money?

I have a bunch of free coupons and I am going to run all those through this month in hopes of getting the points up without my oop changing.

Any other help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 11:27 AM

RE: How to get the most gas points

Needs another Mega

My Mood/Status:
almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'd say buy gift cards that you will use- depending on the promotion, you may get 2X-4X the number of points.

We did this recently with Lowe's Gift Cards. DH was going to buy lumber to build a porch, so I got several of the GC's and the 10% discount cards, and used them together.

We saved all around. First, with the Kroger Fuel points (we got 800 since they were running a 4X promotion around Father's Day) with $200 in GC. Then, an additional $20 at Lowes for having the discount card (I got mine on the bay). So, my $200 in GC saved me $.80/gallon and I got a nice porch to sit on in the evenings. And I wasn't out any more money that I would have been anyways.

Some people have suggested restaurants, retailer, or even Kroger GC to get the points up.

You could do this-

Trip A. Buy $50 GC to Kroger. = 50 points (or more depending on the promotion)
Trip B. Use $50 GC to purchase $50 in groceries (after coupons of course)

You are able to double dip if you break up the transactions.
ISO: NBPR Forms
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to almatt01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 01:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Each prescription that is picked up at Kroger using your card gets you 50 points. The rx cannot be funded by a gov't program iirc to qualify. I have 3 regular rx's so that gets me 150 points. One of the kids gets an ear infection every other month, as well.

When we have a trip coming up, I purchase Shell gas cards (after double checking that there are shells where I am going) to take advantage of the 2x/4x points.

almatt01-
I did not think that Kroger gift cards counted towards the points......have I overlooked a double dip????
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gspice6 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 01:47 PM

likes $3/$5 off Nature Mades
Kansas Sunflower

My Mood/Status:
bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bobojay has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
If you know where you might be eating on the road pick up those gift cards at Kroger/Dillons. A two-fold win! We bought a bunch when they quadrupled the points for Fathers Day.

**ISO Q's**
Tena
Egglands Egg coupons
Lactaid Milk
Tyson Chicken Sandwich
Angel Soft TP
Land O Lakes butter
Adult type cereal
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bobojay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Always on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
memphiscouponer has posted more than 150 good deals!memphiscouponer has posted more than 150 good deals!
I meant to do gc's when they were 4x and if course I never made it over there. Doh! I have a few prescriptions too that will get me up another 150 points. I just really want to get to the 1000 point somehow. Because I can actually get all if the 35 gallon limit in the tank so that would be a nice plus for me. I know it is silly what we will do for $35 in savings, but dang if I can pull it off with no extra oop why the heck would I not???
Old 07-21-2011, 08:05 AM

Needs another Mega

My Mood/Status:
almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!almatt01 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I wonder if this would work:

Buy one Kroger GC and then use it to buy another. Say I bought a $10 GC, and then bought another $10 GC using the 1st one. Repeat until the desired number of points are in the account, and then use the GC to buy the fuel.

Anyone know??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almatt01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 09:08 AM

loves to save money!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by almatt01 View Post
I wonder if this would work:

Buy one Kroger GC and then use it to buy another. Say I bought a $10 GC, and then bought another $10 GC using the 1st one. Repeat until the desired number of points are in the account, and then use the GC to buy the fuel.

Anyone know??
No, it would not work. Kroger gift cards do not earn fuel points(see below from Kroger.com). And I have never known any store that would allow you to use one gift card to purchase another gift card.

"Do Gift Card purchases count toward fuel points?
Yes. Gift Card purchases count toward your points with the exception of Kroger Gift Cards, Green Dot cards, MoneyPaks and 1-2-3 REWARDS® Visa prepaid Debit Card and ReCharge Card™."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kycha For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 AM

Has a new Luv--couponing, luv luv'in it!!

My Mood/Status:
luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!luvcatsbaskets has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
right now my kroger is giving 100 points per prescription, we picked up 3 perscriptions the other day and got 300 points, I really like how they are doing their fuel perks, right now I have about 720 from groceries and perscriptions.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 AM

Needs another Mega

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycha View Post
No, it would not work. Kroger gift cards do not earn fuel points(see below from Kroger.com). And I have never known any store that would allow you to use one gift card to purchase another gift card.

"Do Gift Card purchases count toward fuel points?
Yes. Gift Card purchases count toward your points with the exception of Kroger Gift Cards, Green Dot cards, MoneyPaks and 1-2-3 REWARDS® Visa prepaid Debit Card and ReCharge Card™."

Thanks- I thought someone had posted that Kroger GC would get points.

Back in the early Spring, when they had the deal for $5 CAT for a GC (McDonalds, Subway, etc.) I did pretty good on getting GC's at a 33% discount.

Maybe if someone was ambitious enough, they could buy GC's for common places, and sell or trade them for face value. They would get the fuel points, and not have their money tied up for too long.

I like this thread- it keeps me thinking..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almatt01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 03:53 PM

Always on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
Ok people some good ideas so far, let's keep them coming. More people have to have figured out ways of getting the points up for not much money. I traded for a bunch of mega event freebies, I am not interested in them but the tax is lower than what the discount would be on the gas so I am still moving in the right direction. I would love to get a bunch of Honest Tea coupons, those would be great to throw in the fridge for the trip (no glasses to wash) and since they are free after coupon that keeps me running in the right direction.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
My DH and I figured out that if we purchase a $400 visa gift card, it makes up for the $5.95 service fee and gives 800 points. The gift card can be spent anywhere that takes visa. We are going to try this at the beginning of the month and see how it works out.

Also, we try to time it so that we don't purchase at the end of the month unless it's going to hit an even $100...since the points don't combine.

Good luck, Mary Jean
Old 07-23-2011, 09:38 PM

My Mood/Status:
cjcoupons has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cjcoupons has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cjcoupons has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cjcoupons has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cjcoupons has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cjcoupons has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryJeanH View Post
My DH and I figured out that if we purchase a $400 visa gift card, it makes up for the $5.95 service fee and gives 800 points. The gift card can be spent anywhere that takes visa. We are going to try this at the beginning of the month and see how it works out.

Also, we try to time it so that we don't purchase at the end of the month unless it's going to hit an even $100...since the points don't combine.

Good luck, Mary Jean
If you buy the visa gift card you can get double points? Is that different from the Visa Prepaid Debit Cards and ReCharge Cards? What did you mean by the last part where the points don't combine? I just started shopping at kroger so I am just learning about it. TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Happy and Blessed SAH Wifey and Mommy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to cjcoupons For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2011, 09:04 PM

Always on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
So get this the hubbie picked up three Rx's and forgot to give the kroger card!!!! That was 150 points!!!! GRRRRRRRR
Old 07-29-2011, 09:11 PM

nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphiscouponer View Post
So get this the hubbie picked up three Rx's and forgot to give the kroger card!!!! That was 150 points!!!! GRRRRRRRR
Oh no! I did that last month, picked up an Rx for DS and didn't realize that I forgot to have them scan the card, I was bummed--I know how you feel
Old 07-31-2011, 08:01 PM

Always on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
Think about it that was basically .15 a gallon times 35 gallons he just cost us! It would have covered the cost
Of one of the prescriptions. Double ugh!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 AM

My Mood/Status:
MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MaryJeanH has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcoupons View Post
If you buy the visa gift card you can get double points? Is that different from the Visa Prepaid Debit Cards and ReCharge Cards? What did you mean by the last part where the points don't combine? I just started shopping at kroger so I am just learning about it. TIA
Sorry! I missed your post before. I believe we get double points for any of the Visa/Mastercard gift cards. However, there are small fees with buying them. So we have to make sure the points earned net more gas savings than the fee.

If you have points at the end of the month, they will not merge with the next month. For example, I had 21 points at the end of July. I won't be able to redeem them for gas and I won't be able to add to AUG's points. If I had 100 points at the end of July, I would get the option of using them the next time I went to the gas pump. However, they also would not add on to Aug purchases. If in the first week of Aug, I earned $100 points, I would have 2 uncombined rewards available to redeem on separate trips. The reward offered is the one with the most value to you. Hope this makes sense.
Good luck!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 AM

spencerquartet has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!spencerquartet has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!spencerquartet has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!spencerquartet has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!spencerquartet has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!spencerquartet has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by almatt01 View Post
Trip A. Buy $50 GC to Kroger. = 50 points (or more depending on the promotion)
Trip B. Use $50 GC to purchase $50 in groceries (after coupons of course)

You are able to double dip if you break up the transactions.
Fuel points on Kroger gift cards are only given when the card is used. You do NOT receive any points for buying Kroger gift cards.
So if you buy a $50 Kroger gift card, you get ZERO points.
You receive the fuel points ONLY when you use the gift card.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spencerquartet For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 09:18 AM

limoil has posted more than 100 good deals!limoil has posted more than 100 good deals!
The Visa with the gift package on the front gets you double. Depending on your region (mine requires cash for purchase of these)...you can buy a $500 GC. There is a $5.95 charge. (I can try to load a pic if you need it....I am going to K soon.) This will get you 1000 points. Then use the card throughout the month to buy gc's for wherever other items for which you are shopping. Sears works at KMart. You can even buy another Visa gc in some areas, but you pay the fee again. If you follow the ads and score the 4x promo each week, you can add points quickly.

With one $500, I was able to get 3000 points by purchasing the Visa and then rolling it to buy gift cards for graduation, personal use, and Christmas. You can also buy Ebay cards and use them for your coupons purchases....That rocks....you need paypal to do this. The remainder stays in your account for future Ebay-only purchases.

This week's quad points in Mid-Atlantic region is Lowe's.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to limoil For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2011, 09:30 PM

Always on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
I went today and bought a giftcard for my boss and decided to grab a $25 gas card for me. I mean I will need gas tomorrow so might as well. I am still hanging on to my gas points for the rv. I can't get all 35 gallons in my truck so I am hanging on to them.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:01 PM

erak22 has posted more than 75 good deals!
I went on Sunday & bought 2-$50 Lowes gift cards. === Got 400 points!
Always need stuff from Lowes!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to erak22 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 PM

Always on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
I heard they were doing 4x on some cards and I wondered which ones.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 PM

home

My Mood/Status:
lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lovemydh has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
How do I know which giftcard they are giving the 4x on?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:48 PM

Always on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
I was just there and it is only on the lowes gift card.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:30 PM

My Mood/Status:
gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!gspice6 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
If you forget to use your kroger card to pick up rx or make a purchase, you can call a customer service line and have them added. you'll need the receipt info. I don't have the number readily available. DH did it for me last time. But I have 150 points worth of rx that he will be calling about in the next day or so. I will post the number when we dig it back up.
The Following User Says Thank You to gspice6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Always on the hunt

My Mood/Status:
Awesome. I think I still have the receipt. It would have been 150 points and that would bump me back up because I have like 658 and was gonna loose that 58 part. Yay thanks!!!