Price Comp Kroger Vs Walmart Today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2011, 12:55 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SavvyRealtorChick has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Price Comp Kroger vs Walmart today

I priced a few items at Krogers and Walmart today. Below are my findings:

Milk at Krogers $3.59 - WM $4.33
PB Reduced Fat Crescent Rolls Krogers $2.18 - WM $1.68
Glaceau Vitamin Water 10/$10 at Krogers - WM - $1.00 each
Tidy cat 27 lb container $10.99 - WM $5.36 for a 30 lb bag
Cascade 75 oz $4.37 - WM $6.27

For me, it looks like I will stick to Walmart and use the circulars to save money. I will stop going on the weekends when I am off work and start going to WM during the week.

I hope this helps a few people.
The Following User Says Thank You to SavvyRealtorChick For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 05-31-2011, 07:23 PM

RE: Price Comp Kroger vs Walmart today

My Mood/Status:
Angelpay has posted more than 75 good deals!
Yeah, looks like Kroger is discontinuing their efforts to go after the value shopper. I was hopeful that they might reduce their outrageous prices when they stopped doubling and tripling coupons but ... I haven't noticed any difference.

Looks like it's Albertson's sales and Walmart for everything else.
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelpay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 08:13 AM

My Mood/Status:
consuella24 has posted more than 50 good deals
Don't forget that Wal-Mart with Price Match.. So, when Kroger is having a fab sale, head on over to wally-world with the circulars in hand (you don't have to have them, but it helps) and save save save!
The Following User Says Thank You to consuella24 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2011, 04:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
crazycatlady37 has posted more than 200 great deals!crazycatlady37 has posted more than 200 great deals!crazycatlady37 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I think I have to disagree here. If you got one of eveything on your list, excluding the Tidy Cars (cuz it's comparing two totally different products), Kroger comes out cheaper: $11.14 vs. $13.28. Almost $2.

The litter at Kroger was a container (bucket/pail?) and that's more expensive than a comparable amount of clay litter (the kind in the bag).
Old 06-02-2011, 06:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
daneisha has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycatlady37 View Post
I think I have to disagree here. If you got one of eveything on your list, excluding the Tidy Cars (cuz it's comparing two totally different products), Kroger comes out cheaper: $11.14 vs. $13.28. Almost $2.

The litter at Kroger was a container (bucket/pail?) and that's more expensive than a comparable amount of clay litter (the kind in the bag).
Agreed.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
Angelpay has posted more than 75 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daneisha View Post
Agreed.
If you bought one of each of the items listed above it would be cheaper at Walmart, right? If you leave off the incredible price for cat litter (which is a larger bag for half the price-- Tidy Cat comes in both a bag and a pail) then it would be $3 cheaper at Walmart.

But your point is taken. Sometimes Kroger sales are better than Walmart's price. But if you need to pick up ANYTHING else that isn't on sale then you spend your savings. I shop at Kroger only when something on sale is REALLY cheap or free with a coupon that doubles or triples. If Kroger eliminates that option then .. I'm going to price match at Walmart with a face value coupon. Then if I need something else while I'm in there, I don't have to pay an outrageous price for it. -- I can't imagine what Kroger's marketing folks are thinking. Their ONLY competitive advantage is the doubling and tripling of coupons. They are cutting that out and leaving themselves with no advantage in a pretty crowded competitive field.

Last edited by Angelpay; 06-03-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: left out a word
The Following User Says Thank You to Angelpay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2011, 07:58 PM

loves to save money!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kycha has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelpay View Post
If you bought one of each of the items listed above it would be cheaper at Walmart, right? If you leave off the incredible price for cat litter (which is a larger bag for half the price-- Tidy Cat comes in both a bag and a pail) then it would be $3 cheaper at Walmart.

But your point is taken. Sometimes Kroger sales are better than Walmart's price. But if you need to pick up ANYTHING else that isn't on sale then you spend your savings. I shop at Kroger only when something on sale is REALLY cheap or free with a coupon that doubles or triples. If Kroger eliminates that option then .. I'm going to price match at Walmart with a face value coupon. Then if I need something else while I'm in there, I don't have to pay an outrageous price for it. -- I can't imagine what Kroger's marketing folks are thinking. Their ONLY competitive advantage is the doubling and tripling of coupons. They are cutting that out and leaving themselves with no advantage in a pretty crowded competitive field.
As with everything, YMMV. I find in my area, for the items I am buying, Kroger is the better value. And chances are, even if they did away with doubling, I would still shop there over Walmart. Unfortunately, I am limited in my grocery store selections...Walmart, Kroger, Food Lion and a local grocery store. I find Kroger to have the better quality meat and produce. Plus they sell things there that I can't get at Walmart. And my Kroger is very coupon friendly and the staff is super helpful and friendly.

And I disagree with you that doubling/tripling is Kroger's only competitive advantage. They have the fuel perks program, Senior discount days, prescription transfer program, price guarantee program and there are probably some incentive programs that I am missing. Maybe other grocery stores offer some of the same incentive programs, but I know that Walmart does not.

And IMO, comparing the pail to the bag of cat litter is like comparing apples to oranges. The pail is scoopable and the bag is regular clay(non scoopable). And scoopable is always way more expensive than regular clay. And for the record, I buy the regular clay(non scoopable) litter for my cats. And the price for a 20 lb bag at Walmart is $5.96 and at Kroger I pay $3.99. And when I buy it on the first Wed of the month, I get 10% off with the senior discount.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kycha For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 12:56 PM

teacozy has posted more than 50 good deals
I suppose it depends upon how competitive your area is, but I agree with Angelpay. When you're talking of everyday prices, Walmart is far cheaper than Kroger here. As it happens, the two stores are only a block apart, so I'll go into Kroger with my list and write down their prices, then compare them at Walmart. Even taking double coupons in account, Walmart is less expensive 75% of the time, especially with price matching. I only shop Kroger for sales or brands that Walmart no longer carries (the list of which unfortunately seems to grow every month).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kycha
And when I buy it on the first Wed of the month, I get 10% off with the senior discount.
Lucky you. I usually go shopping with my mother, but she won't go to senior discount day for love or money. All those slow-moving shoppers drive her crazy.
The Following User Says Thank You to teacozy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2011, 01:16 PM

My Mood/Status:
consuella24 has posted more than 50 good deals
wow.. it's interesting how folks compare Walmart and Kroger.. Maybe I'm not seeing it, but I haven't run into a comparison involving Walmart and any other store. I have a number of stores available to me.. many in fact.. too many really.. I get sales ads for: HEB, Kroger, Walmart, Target, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Thrifty Mart, Food Town (those are the closest) and then if I choose to shop when I'm in the actual Houston Area, where I work (45 min from home) i can choose from: Fiesta Mart, Randall's, HEB Central Market, Seller's Bros, Food Fair, Whole Foods, Brookshire Bros... THAT doesn't even cover the pharmacy's and small markets, of which there are MANY.. so.. at the end of the day, there is no way I'm going to all of those places.. I will however, take the sales ads and PM myself into some FANTASTIC savings at walmart!

whew.. that makes me tired just thinking of it.. all that being said, I will still go to some of the other stores when it makes, not just sense, but cents .