Is Kroger Putting Large Holds On Gas Purchases?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2013, 08:49 AM

RE: Is Kroger Putting Large Holds on Gas Purchases?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

goldest24 has posted more than 1 good deal
Kroger had a 125.50 pending on mine

I got home about an hour after getting groceries and checked my bank account. Had the scare of my life when I saw a pending charge for 125.50 along with the pending charge for my gas and my groceries. I called my bank right away. She said they have been getting lots of calls for that and the banks are not the ones doing it. It IS whoever Kroger uses for their gas contractors. I couldn't fit that much in my car on dead empty. It took about 1 hour for the charge to clear. If I had went and spent more than I had in the bank with that pending charge in that hour it was pending, I would have got a decline on my card. This needs to stop! Makes no sense.

Oh and mine is a Visa Debit. I think I will get cash back in the store from now on and pay cash....just rediculous!

Last edited by goldest24; 08-17-2013 at 08:52 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to goldest24 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-17-2013, 12:16 PM

Beliefmover has posted more than 100 good deals!Beliefmover has posted more than 100 good deals!
If you use cc or debit card at window and give amount you want to spend that is all that will be taken. you can't do at pump.

Joy
The Following User Says Thank You to Beliefmover For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2013, 08:58 PM

My Mood/Status:
iualum has posted more than 150 good deals!iualum has posted more than 150 good deals!
This has happened to me as well. Kroger said that it is the banks decision, however my bank stated that it is the gas station that puts a preauthorizion in. It has never actually "held" the money til the transaction clears. It will see if so much money clears the bank and the only charges the amount. Kroger said that you can pre-pay to avoid this.
The Following User Says Thank You to iualum For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 08:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
ksdisneyfan has posted more than 200 great deals!ksdisneyfan has posted more than 200 great deals!ksdisneyfan has posted more than 200 great deals!
I am wondering if it's an AMEX connection as well, because I have always used a different gas station until recently (we just moved and didn't have a Kroger store close). I always have a $125 hold on my card when I use it to pay at the pump. I only use it to pay when I know I have a large enough cushion in my account to cover it for 4 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to ksdisneyfan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2013, 10:10 PM

is totally excited about all things free!!!

My Mood/Status:
sweet pea has posted more than 200 great deals!sweet pea has posted more than 200 great deals!sweet pea has posted more than 200 great deals!
I always have a $100 charge on my account when I use she'll or smiths/ Kroger. They hold an amount until the actual fee goes through. I just make sure I get a receipt and check the results later to match up the prices. My idea just keep track and have enough money on a card to hold the right amount.
The Following User Says Thank You to sweet pea For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 05:03 AM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliefmover View Post
If you use cc or debit card at window and give amount you want to spend that is all that will be taken. you can't do at pump.
I've noticed this, too. I do not use DC @ the pump, most often I use CC swiped @ the pump except in certain stations where they require people to pre-pay (this can be a PITA sometimes when you're in a hurry). I use cash so that I will get an exact change after filling.

With CC swipe, only $1 is charged initially, when I check my CC account, I see it as pending and in the next 48 hrs, it changes to the actual amount charged. I make sure I keep my receipts so I can compare it if there's an overcharge. We've gone to different stations in different states and so far, I have not been overcharged.

This is my experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 02:22 PM

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We have known about this issue for many years.I don't remember how we found out about it.But I have always told my family Never use any type of card just always use cash. Couple of the kids over the years have forgotten only to be reminded the hard way by the account having holds put on them.
The Following User Says Thank You to lyn96 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 05:57 PM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmamabear
In the past, many complained about being charged overdraft fees by their banks for going into negative when they thought they had enough money. But since gas stations put a hold on a greater amount than gas they bought, they are now asked to pay for overdraft fees PLUS the amount overdrawn.
They would have to call the bank because a pending transaction should not incur OD fees until it is out of pended status, if their banks are doing this they need to switch banks.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Miguel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
The Following User Says Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2013, 06:31 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOILEDTCANGEL View Post
They would have to call the bank because a pending transaction should not incur OD fees until it is out of pended status, if their banks are doing this they need to switch banks.
Banks usually waive ODF once a year per account as courtesy BUT I think it is up to depositor to know their available balance before they swipe those DCs. They should keep tab of their balance, just like writing entries in a checkbook where let's say they put in $40 worth of gas, even if $1 is just put on hold (pending), they know they already spent $40 at that gas station. IF they only have $100 balance, they can't be spending over $60 or else they will really go negative. That was the problem of most, they didn't know what their available balance was to begin with, and continued to swipe after buying gas.

To avoid ODF, I opt out of ODP, I don't mind getting refused for insufficient funds at POS so I know my account is low/going negative. For me, ODP is for the bank's protection and another way for them to collect fees. If my card gets refused @ POS, at least they can't charge me fees plus the amount I owe them.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:54 PM

sub box addict

My Mood/Status:
rockin_on05 has posted more than 150 good deals!rockin_on05 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmamabear View Post
Banks usually waive ODF once a year per account as courtesy BUT I think it is up to depositor to know their available balance before they swipe those DCs. They should keep tab of their balance, just like writing entries in a checkbook where let's say they put in $40 worth of gas, even if $1 is just put on hold (pending), they know they already spent $40 at that gas station. IF they only have $100 balance, they can't be spending over $60 or else they will really go negative. That was the problem of most, they didn't know what their available balance was to begin with, and continued to swipe after buying gas.

To avoid ODF, I opt out of ODP, I don't mind getting refused for insufficient funds at POS so I know my account is low/going negative. For me, ODP is for the bank's protection and another way for them to collect fees. If my card gets refused @ POS, at least they can't charge me fees plus the amount I owe them.

yea i think ppl are meaning if they have say...they got $50 in their account, and get $30 of gas and then it charges like $125...then its going into red and negative balance. then people would still use their card thinking hey i just spent 30 in gas....ive had it happen a few times and it wasnt at kroger cause i rarely get gas there, mom usually used my points accumulated and pays cash cause she sure aint got a debit card, ....but anyhow it corrected itself but..o boy was i on edge til it did.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockin_on05 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 06:47 AM

Painted Mountain has posted more than 10 good deals
Krogers in north Texas just put up new signs: $150 hold on CC; $200 hold on DC - supposedly only for 1-2 days.
The Following User Says Thank You to Painted Mountain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2013, 07:28 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Mountain View Post
Krogers in north Texas just put up new signs: $150 hold on CC; $200 hold on DC - supposedly only for 1-2 days.
Wow! I have to see one of those signs

I have no worries with CC since they'll pay for it initially, but 2 days, i.e., up to 48 hrs is a long period to have them hold on to funds till it clears. Those using DCs should be very careful about this if they have limited funds. Although it doesn't go through until final charges are posted, it can be an inconvinience if you just have enough money in your C/A.

I guess this is one of the station's strategy to make people pay cash instead of swiping cards I know there are stations that gouge prices by up to 20 cents more, if paying with CC and the 'low' price is only for those paying cash. I deliberately avoid such stations UNLESS I am on empty, which has never happened.