Dying Kmart In Ames Iowa - You Won't Believe This!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2012, 10:25 PM
Couponing because kids' activities are EXPENSIVE!

Shanti_Writes has posted more than 200 great deals!Shanti_Writes has posted more than 200 great deals!Shanti_Writes has posted more than 200 great deals!
Dying Kmart in Ames Iowa - you won't believe this!

So, I didn't get a Kmart ad for our nearest Kmart in our Sunday paper. I went in to ask them for a copy, and here is precisely what the customer service girl told me:

"We are no longer sending out or honoring the ad, except for Save Your Way Members if you have read the ad on-line. We're trying to save this branch store, and by not running the ad, we will save over $1 million/year. We'll still pick a few key items from the ad to run, but mostly we'll just run the monthly ad."

I am very intrigued by and envious of all you Kmart folks who get such great deals with such low OoP prices - but I went seriously price-comparing this weekend before I knew the new ad policy and my Kmart is consistently higher-priced than any of the other stores around me - even after taking into account the double-coupons and barely breaks-even with other stores when taking into account the P&G CRT and the rewards points.

In other words, it's not going to be worth it for me to ever step foot in that store again unless they get their heads on straight. No wonder Kmart is dying nation-wide. :/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
of 21 years, mom to DS-18, DD-16, DD-12, DS-10.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shanti_Writes For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 07-06-2012, 10:34 PM

RE: Dying Kmart in Ames Iowa - you won't believe this!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Ours closed 8 years ago....the 90% off going out of business sale was nice. I haven't seen a Kmart anywhere around here since then. The one that closed was where we lived 3 hours away but there aren't any here either. I'm in Houston, TX.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 PM

muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!muffythebear has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Our kmarts here are almost ALWAYS higher in price on every item, than any other store.
I only shop the stuff that I can get cheaper there, and it is the stuff in the weekly ads with CRT's and CG and cats. buying stuff at their "regular price" is just insane.

I haven't found any non-sale items that are competitively priced. Frankly I am surprised that they are still in business.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!jennlove256 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My thought would be that the system and registers will still pick up and generate all sale prices, the crts and deals and so on and so fourth... I think that is controlled by corp... They may choose not to print the ad at the store level... But I find it unlikely that the store can control the sales...!!! Might be worth a call to corp if you want clarification...!!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 12:21 AM

Couponing Mom of Five
couponing mom of five

My Mood/Status:
staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!staviles has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Our local Kmart (Manchester Avenue in St. Louis, MO) has not had the weekly ad for almost 4 years and the sale prices are not in the system at all...they will however honor the ad if you happen to pick it up at another store and bring it in....they apparently have a master computer in which they can check whether the item is indeed on sale at other stores, but unfortunately, this has been a way of life at my Kmart forever....and unless I want to hop on 2 highways and travel 30 minutes to get to the other side of time, I'm ok with it as our local Kmart is in a neighborhood and would probably not have survived otherwise. Cost of doing business I guess.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
mountaindews has posted more than 300 great deals!mountaindews has posted more than 300 great deals!mountaindews has posted more than 300 great deals!mountaindews has posted more than 300 great deals!
Wow, that's really sad. Our Kmart is about an hour and 15 minutes from home, but it always has higher prices than any other store...but still it's good when there is a super sale!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
The store closest to me is great and always has extra flyers for monthly and weekly deals and they are customer friendly. The store about 25 min away, but closer to my job only has monthly flyers and is an "ad free store". I try not to go there because like others have said, the sales never ring right and there is no flyer to back them up. They are much less customer friendly and not to be mean but the ladies running the front are not very bright either.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:05 PM

Happy!

My Mood/Status:
Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennlove256
My thought would be that the system and registers will still pick up and generate all sale prices, the crts and deals and so on and so fourth... I think that is controlled by corp... They may choose not to print the ad at the store level... But I find it unlikely that the store can control the sales...!!! Might be worth a call to corp if you want clarification...!!!!
Here in Minneapolis, several stores went adless over this past year and the registers are not programmed for the sales in the ads at these stores, however they do honor the ads if you have them with you and seem to be coupon friendly. I accidentally went in a day early to redeem 10 picnic vouchers today and although they weren't set up for this promo yet, they allowed us anyway which I thought was fantastic.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Away on vacation may 21- may 26

nycgirl631 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nycgirl631 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nycgirl631 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nycgirl631 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nycgirl631 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nycgirl631 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!nycgirl631 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I live in Manhattan and the 2 kmarts here are not ad stores. But like others have previously posted, I can bring in an ad from a Queens or Long Island Kmart and they will honor it. I can understand that costs of ink, printing, distribution etc. are expensive but its just unfortunate that they won't even honor another store's ad

If this post was helpful, please click the Rep button below
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 PM

Shopping Til I'm Dropping!

My Mood/Status:
thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I'm really sad to hear this is happening elsewhere....I really would like to hear Kmart find alternatives to solve this so that all can benefit from their sales. Other competitors do not have a weekly AD readily available...or additional flyers at the door. I'd like to see Kmart find solutions. They can start by printing off the weekly freebie coupons instead of having the books. I know for me on average I get at least 25 books for the month just for the weekly freebies...and then my master copy....and then toss the rest of the pages. Kinda of a waste of paper.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:52 PM

bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmndrop1 View Post
Here in Minneapolis, several stores went adless over this past year and the registers are not programmed for the sales in the ads at these stores, however they do honor the ads if you have them with you and seem to be coupon friendly. I accidentally went in a day early to redeem 10 picnic vouchers today and although they weren't set up for this promo yet, they allowed us anyway which I thought was fantastic.
I live in the Twin Cities too...what stores are not honoring sale prices without the ad?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:05 AM

Happy!

My Mood/Status:
Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!Lmndrop1 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowen00

I live in the Twin Cities too...what stores are not honoring sale prices without the ad?
Anoka and Burnsville for sure...Lake Street is not on the same sales as the others...best advice is to call the store before visiting to inquire.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmndrop1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 08:47 AM

tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Can you tell me what the exp date is on the Picnic Voucher coupons?
Old 07-08-2012, 08:49 AM

tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!tracysbeans has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl631 View Post
I live in Manhattan and the 2 kmarts here are not ad stores. But like others have previously posted, I can bring in an ad from a Queens or Long Island Kmart and they will honor it. I can understand that costs of ink, printing, distribution etc. are expensive but its just unfortunate that they won't even honor another store's ad
What are you saying they will honor another stores ad or they won't? I'm confused by what your saying here.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftyCAmom View Post
I'm really sad to hear this is happening elsewhere....I really would like to hear Kmart find alternatives to solve this so that all can benefit from their sales. Other competitors do not have a weekly AD readily available...or additional flyers at the door. I'd like to see Kmart find solutions. They can start by printing off the weekly freebie coupons instead of having the books. I know for me on average I get at least 25 books for the month just for the weekly freebies...and then my master copy....and then toss the rest of the pages. Kinda of a waste of paper.
The freebie coupons are available online at Kmart.com if someone wanted to print some if they aren't available in their store. You could even copy and paste into a word document with multiples on a page. I'm going to do that for this week since I'm not seeing any Monthly ads in the store right now. (probably because of the Huggies error) If someone wants the document just let me know!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:21 PM

Happy!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracysbeans

Can you tell me what the exp date is on the Picnic Voucher coupons?
Since I went in a day early, they didn't print coupons...they just took my vouchers and gave me the stuff. They seemed as if they had no idea about the program or how it works...happy to help!

Last edited by Lmndrop1; 07-08-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:34 PM

bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!bowen00 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Anoka and Burnsville for sure...Lake Street is not on the same sales as the others...best advice is to call the store before visiting to inquire.
I shop at the Burnsville Kmart randomly. The last time I was there, I did the Ziploc deal a few months ago without any issues. Has it been since then that they have changed (not that I am surprised...especially due to the extremely low customer volume)? They even had the double coupon signs up. It is just good to know if i should even spend the time trying to find deals. thank you so much for your help!
Old 07-08-2012, 02:44 PM

Happy!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:

I shop at the Burnsville Kmart randomly. The last time I was there, I did the Ziploc deal a few months ago without any issues. Has it been since then that they have changed (not that I am surprised...especially due to the extremely low customer volume)? They even had the double coupon signs up. It is just good to know if i should even spend the time trying to find deals. thank you so much for your help!
Hi, yes that time frame sounds about right for when they switched to adless. I did the ZipLoc deal there too...they had ads then...while not impossible, it just makes things a little trickier ...if you want to only shop there still....I would ask the guest services person if you can temporarily borrow their one coveted copy of the ads as they typically have one weekly AND one monthly there. Shhh that's a secret . Then you must print out your weekly freebie coupons ( ie this next week it's Capri Sun drinks for the weekly freebie, when you spend $25 min). Then you must remember to tell cashier each sale and be prepared to show them in your borrowed ad so they can key it in properly. Finally, make sure to return that coveted ad(s) to them . This all maybe sounds more complicated than It is...HTH

Last edited by Lmndrop1; 07-08-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:09 PM

My Mood/Status:
hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hstover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
The first time I went to the adless store (before knowing they were adless) I asked if they had the weekly flyer and the lady said "we are actually an adless store but I have one at the desk you can see"...she then handed me the monthy ad.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:28 PM

Happy!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hstover
The first time I went to the adless store (before knowing they were adless) I asked if they had the weekly flyer and the lady said "we are actually an adless store but I have one at the desk you can see"...she then handed me the monthy ad.
Our Kmart here was not so forthcoming. I had spoken on the phone to the store mgr who called me after I had called corporate inquiring about the new adless policy and he advised me of this but when I asked at GS the lady denied having it at all until I then explained that the store mgr had told me to ask, then suddenly she produced it. So I mentioned "it's a secret" tongue in cheek....probably ymmv.

Last edited by Lmndrop1; 07-08-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Hi, yes that time frame sounds about right for when they switched to adless. I did the ZipLoc deal there too...they had ads then...while not impossible, it just makes things a little trickier ...if you want to only shop there still....I would ask the guest services person if you can temporarily borrow their one coveted copy of the ads as they typically have one weekly AND one monthly there. Shhh that's a secret . Then you must print out your weekly freebie coupons ( ie this next week it's Capri Sun drinks for the weekly freebie, when you spend $25 min). Then you must remember to tell cashier each sale and be prepared to show them in your borrowed ad so they can key it in properly. Finally, make sure to return that coveted ad(s) to them . This all maybe sounds more complicated than It is...HTH
Wow, thank you...I don't feel so bad now for wasting time by walking into one!

I don't mean to ask 101 questions, but do you know if they still produce the CRT's and the cats?

Oh, by the way, the Pioneer Press Sunday Edition has the Kmart ad. I live in Burnsville and get it every Sunday. That way you don't have to borrow the secret treasure!!! LOL!! HTH!!
The Following User Says Thank You to bowen00 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2012, 07:27 PM

Happy!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:

Wow, thank you...I don't feel so bad now for wasting time by walking into one!

I don't mean to ask 101 questions, but do you know if they still produce the CRT's and the cats?

Oh, by the way, the Pioneer Press Sunday Edition has the Kmart ad. I live in Burnsville and get it every Sunday. That way you don't have to borrow the secret treasure!!! LOL!! HTH!!
Yes and no. Depends on the circumstances. Yes cats still pop out as do CRT'S but you have to make sure the cash register reaches its totals as sometimes they price adjust due to the manual inputting of the sale prices etc. if you should get the $10 CRT and don't...the mgr there is sooo nice and he will allow GS to issue a GC for you
The Following User Says Thank You to Lmndrop1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 06:09 AM

My Mood/Status:
mrsprek has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrsprek has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrsprek has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrsprek has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrsprek has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrsprek has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrsprek has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
My store is adless and honors the ad prices, even if you bring in the online copy.

My Blog:
Old 07-09-2012, 07:48 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
baseballcouponmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!baseballcouponmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!baseballcouponmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!baseballcouponmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!baseballcouponmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!baseballcouponmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!baseballcouponmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Went to a store 15 minutes away first time last week, ( the K in my city closed two years ago) and they were so happy I was couponing there. The cashier told me come back soon and tell your friends! I wonder if the business there is so bad they will be adless soon...
Old 08-31-2012, 06:56 PM

My Mood/Status:
em247 has posted more than 10 good deals
Holy cow! I haven't been to K-mart in forever because they are so much higher on a lot of things but had been thinking about checking to see if there were in fact double coupon deals but now I probably won't even bother. Thanks for the post.