October 9: Weekly Challenges To Keep Your Home Organized And Clean!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 04:25 AM
Still love my job! ;)

My Mood/Status:
cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
October 9: Weekly Challenges To Keep Your Home Organized And Clean!

Good Morning everyone!

I thought I might help out pchef3 over here and post another organization idea for you guys. I think I might try to do this as a once a week challenge rather than a daily challenge.

Now, while I like to have things neat and organized, I am not the best at figuring out the best way to organize things. So, I'm being totally selfish here with this post. Let me explain.....

We just recently moved into a new house. We love it. Settling in great. There is one thing that I am having to make an adjustment on and need some help. We have no pantry. Just some long deep cabinets. I have no idea how to organized our pantry items where I can see what we have. This week I'm working on trying to organize my kitchen better, and my main focus at the moment is the pantry items.

So, I'm giving a challenge for the week to organize your pantries. Take an inventory of what you have, get rid of expired items. Going into the winter, it would be a good idea to figure out what items you have/need, what you want to stockpile. Many of us will be gearing up for holiday baking/cooking....what do you need to do this? Organize the things you have to make working in the kitchen a nice flow.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice at the moment, which is why I'm posting this challenge (here's the selfishness part ), in hopes that some of you without pantries can shed some light/ideas on how to organize my pantry items.

Share pictures! You know we all love pictures!

Have a great day everyone and happy organizing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I'm Jennifer Happy Working Homemaker
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Married to DH
Homeschooling Mom to DD
and to furbaby Princeton

Who wants to join me in a OHC?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cpht For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 04:44 AM

RE: October 9: Weekly Challenges To Keep Your Home Organized And Clean!

Still love my job! ;)

My Mood/Status:
cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!cpht has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Here's a pic of my "pantry cabinets". Please help with any ideas/suggestions! I can adjust the shelving. As you can see, I need help! I can only see what is right in front and it's hard to search through and get to things in the back. It is really frustrating me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-2017663034.jpg (47.8 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg image-2260791349.jpg (50.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg image-992082659.jpg (62.0 KB, 54 views)

Married to DH
Homeschooling Mom to DD
and to furbaby Princeton

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cpht For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 AM

its getting better everyday

My Mood/Status:
dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My day has started with lots of pain in my legs and feet. Its the weather, we had snow flurries during the nite. As soon as I am feeling better I will get some things done. Have a great day everyone!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:14 AM

Still love my job! ;)

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdorrell View Post
My day has started with lots of pain in my legs and feet. Its the weather, we had snow flurries during the nite. As soon as I am feeling better I will get some things done. Have a great day everyone!
you feel better soon! Do you mind if I ask where you live to have gotten snow flurries? Wow! It's in the 50's here right now (Ga), but will be back in the high 70's later this week.

Married to DH
Homeschooling Mom to DD
and to furbaby Princeton

Old 10-09-2012, 05:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!dkdorrell has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I live in Great Falls, MT We had the first snow on 10-03-2012. We made national news. And I was outside in that mess. I had gone to walmart and the bus broke down. Wound up taking the bus going the other way to get home 1.5 hrs later. Yeah, I was tired and wet that day.

Donna

Last edited by dkdorrell; 10-09-2012 at 05:41 AM. Reason: spelling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkdorrell For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Crazy Coupon Momma!!

My Mood/Status:
jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Well I could spend all week organizing my kitchen!! Every one of my cabinets needs to be gone through and straightened up.

I feel your frustation Jennifer!! I have an issue with my spices, etc. I keep them in the two small cabinets over my stove, but I am always having to dig to find what spice I need. I have asked hubby to build me some kind of pull out shelf or something to help with it....but that hasn't gotten done yet.

How do you guys organize your spices? I will take pics of my cabinets before and after...but don't be scared when you see my before pics
and Darius
Step Mommy to Vanessa
and Ethan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenny_hic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 AM

My Mood/Status:
I use a lazy susan I bought years ago on clearance. I keep it on the top of the frig for easy access. I keep garlic, onion powder, salt and pepper by the stove. I use them everyday.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:22 AM

Crazy Coupon Momma!!

My Mood/Status:
jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jenny_hic has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
OK...I did one cabinet in my kitchen, but I was inspired to do more! Here are before and after of the one that I finished AND the before of the one I am tackling next....my messy spice cabinet. I am going to rearrange it better until I figure out how to make it more "user friendly"

Anyone else doing this today?

I hope the pics attached...it's been a long time since I posted a pic on AFC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabinet 1.jpg (4.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg cabinet 2.jpg (4.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg cabinet 3.jpg (3.5 KB, 48 views)
and Darius
Step Mommy to Vanessa
and Ethan
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jenny_hic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 08:30 AM

Still love my job! ;)

My Mood/Status:
Jenny,
It's in my plan for today...but I'm pressed for time. Will have to post later. Keep up the good work! Looks amazing!

Married to DH
Homeschooling Mom to DD
and to furbaby Princeton

Old 10-09-2012, 12:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
Ok I found something more to put in your cabinets. LOL. I rec this in one of my emails today. I put in my email and printed two. It's a dollar off.

Dreamfields Foods
Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 PM

Crazy Coupon Momma!!

My Mood/Status:
Just coming back to post my after picture of the spice cabinet. Still crowded, but more organized until I get a lazy susan or spice rack to use.

I have decided to do at least one cabinet a day for the rest of the week and by the end of the week I should have all clean, organized cabinets!!

Hubby said since I have worked so hard the last two days that I should take the night off from cooking and we can just grab some fast food, but I think I will just go ahead and cook. 1. it saves money and 2. it tastes so much better! It was sweet of him to say though....at least I know he is noticing all of the effort I am putting in!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CABINET 4.jpg (3.5 KB, 30 views)
and Darius
Step Mommy to Vanessa
and Ethan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jenny_hic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2012, 06:50 AM

My Mood/Status:
You do a great job Jenny. Everyone here does. That's why I like being with all of you. Thank you for being you.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Fyi

Here is a hint on organizing your spices, look online for a "step" spice organizer that has adjustable "steps" to place your spices on. Also, keep your spices next to your stove/cooking area for easier access.

Check out Walmart, Target, Bed, Bath, & Beyond, or Amazon.com online for ideas. Below I have several of the expandable "step" spice organizers in my pantry shelves. They came from Amazon and are easy to use and organize your spices.

Below are the links/sites--enjoy!

Amazon.com: step spice organizer: Home & Kitchen (Amazon.com's site/info for spice organizer.)

http://www.target.com/p/super-spices...t/-/A-11553125 (Target's site/info for spice organizer.)

Foodie

Last edited by foodie; 10-10-2012 at 09:55 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foodie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Crazy Coupon Momma!!

My Mood/Status:
I am still on this challenge!! I didn't have time to post my before/after pics for yesterday so here they are! Yesterday I cleaned out our "snack" cabinet.

Today I am gong to do the cabinet where all of our plates, bowls and glasses are, as well as some tupperware type containers. I tried to take a before pic, but my iphone is acting up...will keep trying.

Anyone else joining in on this challenge?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cabinet 5.jpg (4.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg cabinet 6.jpg (4.0 KB, 29 views)
and Darius
Step Mommy to Vanessa
and Ethan
The Following User Says Thank You to jenny_hic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2012, 02:06 PM

Crazy Coupon Momma!!

My Mood/Status:
Well I didn't get anything done yesterday because I felt bad....so I am organizing the glasses/plates/bowls cabinets today.

Will be back shortly to post before and after pics!

I am liking this challenge...it's so nice to open the cabinet door and see everything so neat.

My ten year old son asked me how come all of the food was lined up
and Darius
Step Mommy to Vanessa
and Ethan
The Following User Says Thank You to jenny_hic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2012, 04:05 PM

Still love my job! ;)

My Mood/Status:
Well, I got one cabinet straightened out. Still finding it hard to adjust my organizing, not having a pantry. No matter what I do it seems cluttered. Will keep working on it.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I have already implemented the empty case of cokes for canned veggies.

Married to DH
Homeschooling Mom to DD
and to furbaby Princeton

The Following User Says Thank You to cpht For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 01:16 PM

rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!rebecca6311 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I use the same drawers I mentioned for snacks for my spices and sprinkles. Basket help keep some other small things together. So I can pull them out and still reach the things in back.

You can see I need to redo my shelf paper. It's getting old and peeling off. Add it to the list.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-177888457.jpg (56.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg image-4047155.jpg (53.8 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg image-1724614668.jpg (56.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 11-02-2012, 06:14 PM

daynarehna has posted more than 75 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpht View Post
Good Morning everyone!

I thought I might help out pchef3 over here and post another organization idea for you guys. I think I might try to do this as a once a week challenge rather than a daily challenge.

Now, while I like to have things neat and organized, I am not the best at figuring out the best way to organize things. So, I'm being totally selfish here with this post. Let me explain.....

We just recently moved into a new house. We love it. Settling in great. There is one thing that I am having to make an adjustment on and need some help. We have no pantry. Just some long deep cabinets. I have no idea how to organized our pantry items where I can see what we have. This week I'm working on trying to organize my kitchen better, and my main focus at the moment is the pantry items.

So, I'm giving a challenge for the week to organize your pantries. Take an inventory of what you have, get rid of expired items. Going into the winter, it would be a good idea to figure out what items you have/need, what you want to stockpile. Many of us will be gearing up for holiday baking/cooking....what do you need to do this? Organize the things you have to make working in the kitchen a nice flow.

I'm sorry I don't have any advice at the moment, which is why I'm posting this challenge (here's the selfishness part ), in hopes that some of you without pantries can shed some light/ideas on how to organize my pantry items.

Share pictures! You know we all love pictures!

Have a great day everyone and happy organizing!
I'm a little late finding this, but thought I'd share. I had those exact same cabinets in my last home instead of a pantry. I used baskets in it. Two of these fit perfectly on each shelf(measure, I'm pretty sure it was the medium size but could have possibly been the large), one in the back and another in the front. I put items that weren't used as often or were extras in the back, and items that were used more often in the front. Lighter weight items went in the shelves that were above my head to make it easier to get them down without hurting myself. I also used one of the hanging wire shelves for breads and crackers. I adjusted the shelf it was hanging from so that a basket would fit underneath that shelf. I put large bags of potato chips in the back of the shelf below it and one of those baskets full of snacks for the kids in front of them under the rack. Check Walmart or Target for the baskets if you decide to use them. They both had them at the time and they were cheaper there.
The Following User Says Thank You to daynarehna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2012, 04:52 PM

loves to crochet
nana to Karson & Kaiden

My Mood/Status:
vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vicki518 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca6311 View Post
I use the same drawers I mentioned for snacks for my spices and sprinkles. Basket help keep some other small things together. So I can pull them out and still reach the things in back.

You can see I need to redo my shelf paper. It's getting old and peeling off. Add it to the list.
darn I just saw one of those white organizers for 2.00 at a yard sale, but didn't know what I could use it for. Spices are a great idea!