Home Depot Penny Deals - YMMV

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 05:59 AM

RE: Home Depot Penny Deals - YMMV

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

lady AB has posted more than 10 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmacgeek View Post
I'm new to the site, but I am already SO thankful I found it. I was tagging along on a penny haul with my better half yesterday and suggested that we go into the Home Depot so I can try my luck at finding a penny item (never found one before anywhere). I used the list that someone compiled earlier in the thread and picked out five or six items I wanted to focus on and see if I could track them down.

I scored TWO Toro 24V Lithium Ion Cordless String Trimmers!!!

They were mixed in with the regularly priced trimmers, and NOT on a clearance rack or anything. They were also a bit higher on the shelves. They only had the two in stock, and I wasn't even sure they would ring up as a penny, and even if they did, would I be able to get them since Home Depot can be a bit snarky with even price matching.

We went to one of the self checkouts and they did in fact ring up as $0.01! Also, the self-checkout "monitoring station" didn't have an employee standing at it watching everything that's happening. I think they must have been off helping another customer (which totally worked to my benefit).

Another thing I noticed is that any other previous purchases I made with the self-checkouts, the machine would always "speak" the price of each item you scanned. With the penny items, the machine did NOT speak. I have a feeling if it had, I wouldn't have been able to walk out with my two trimmers.

Anyway, I was pretty stoked to have paid for my two trimmers with a nickel, and then received 3 change back! Woo hoo! That's three more trimmers I can buy!

Thanks very much to whoever started this thread to begin with and for reading all the way through this long post.

Happy Penny Hunting!
Good job
The Following User Says Thank You to lady AB For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-14-2013, 06:48 AM

Happy, happy, happy

My Mood/Status:
ThisSourthernMomma has posted more than 50 good deals
I def need to try this out. Home Depot gets so much of our money right now since we are remodeling our home, I deserve to only pay $.01 for some stuff. Plus it will give me something to do while the SO is doing his shopping. I might just go in there and see what I can find for the heck of it. If I find anything, or have any issues, I'll let you guys know.

Where is everyone located at that has been trying? I will be trying my hand at the HD in Weatherford, TX. I might eventually try the HD in Burleson as well.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:17 PM

Emalyn424 has posted more than 50 good deals
Thank You 1 Penny Item Found

I have been keeping up on the post about Dollar General and Michaels and have had a little success but when I saw the Home Depot I was super pumped. My friend and I went to Home Depot today to see what we could find and had a little trouble finding the penny items.

We found some decorative outdoor gates with the yellow sticker with a date of 1/2012 so we thought for sure they would be especially when a worker was questioning on where we found them. Then they seemed to be following us around it seemed like. When I rang up the gates the scanner said "please wait for assistant" she got the Sku and went to her computer and told me they are the price listed...not sure I believe that though. She took them off my checkout and told me to leave them there since I didnt want to buy them.

We also found the 432659 -- 24" 4500 CFM Direct Whole House Fan - -$245 -- Which matched everything to a T but when we asked someone to price check it with their gun he said it was full price. I posted a picture of this, there was no yellow sticker.

I we ended up finding a Pegasus towel rack (pictures) and I though I would try since it was not marked, the box looked older and it was in the clearance bath section...it was a penny!!! So keep your eye open!

The self checkouts do have a price checker but you can not mute them, also once you start ringing up you cant check the price. They have to come over if you want the item removed. Hope this helps. Thank you for sharing all your information, I am so addicted now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (192.8 KB, 242 views)

Last edited by Emalyn424; 10-14-2013 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Picture
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Emalyn424 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2013, 05:25 PM

Emalyn424 has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emalyn424 View Post
We also found the 432659 -- 24" 4500 CFM Direct Whole House Fan - -$245 -- Which matched everything to a T but when we asked someone to price check it with their gun he said it was full price. I posted a picture of this, there was no yellow sticker.
I forgot the picture on the last post sorry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (195.4 KB, 240 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emalyn424 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2013, 03:26 PM

lady AB has posted more than 10 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emalyn424 View Post

I forgot the picture on the last post sorry.
My husband and I went today and found one of the hose reels but it also rang up full price :-(
Old 10-16-2013, 09:17 AM

My Mood/Status:
barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Ok Ya'll have me thoroughly flustered over these Penny Deals at all of these stores... I have not had any luck at Micheal's, Didn't bother with DG as they are alwasy a pain in the behind, But Home Depot, I think I am in LOVE!!!!!!!!! I will take a Cordless screwdriver over flowers any day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just so I am clear the trick is...and some questions????
1. Search for items where possible clearance may be (which I look at all the time when we are there)
2. Search in the aisles for items listed Because they may have possibly missed them and system has pennied them out?
3. Head to self check-out to scan and check as to not alert employees or they will snatch them away from you?
4. Is there a scan function at the self check out that only allows you to check the price of an item ? or are you technically "scanning" it to check out? Someone mentioned earlier having to have an employee come over and remove items if you do not want them and this may possibly be a problem if you run into an employee who thinks you are doing something wrong. Not that I would not argue with them to make them give it to me for a penny, I would totally argue that point, but in a nice way.

Think that if I took a grill up to scan it and check price they might think I am a little whacky!!!!!

Now I am wondering something since I have seen these threads. We found a finding nemo toddler bed a while back at Wally World. We at the time had a toddler who loved all things nemo... of course it was the only one on the shelf, and it had been years since the movie was released and even the DVD as they put the stuff out again when that happens.. anyways you could tell it had been there for a while and that it had numerous clearance tags put on it and peeled off, so anywho we tried scanning it at the self scanner and it came up $0.01. This was before the days of Self check-outs. so we went to the front to buy it. And they scanned ever bar code on it, and it caused a huge raucous, and the manager just kept saying I can't sell this to you for a penny it has to be a mistake. He wanted to charge us the same price as the balance of the other toddler beds back there , and my argument for him was that it was obvious with the stickers on it (none of which said a price) that it was not regular merchandise it had been clearanced many times. I bet it really was a penny. Now I am mifted they didn't have self checkouts then. Oh well. Moving on
Old 10-16-2013, 05:38 PM

Queen

Queen0507 has posted more than 200 great deals!Queen0507 has posted more than 200 great deals!Queen0507 has posted more than 200 great deals!
at the self check out there is an option to price check, just press that scan your item and cancel once you see the price. It ask if you want to add it to the transaction or cancel.
I was checking four different items and I forgot to press the check price button on the last one. I just scanned the item, luckily it wasn't a penny because I had to get the cashier to remove it from her screen.
Hth
The Following User Says Thank You to Queen0507 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 06:54 PM

Queen

Queen0507 has posted more than 200 great deals!Queen0507 has posted more than 200 great deals!Queen0507 has posted more than 200 great deals!
So I have yet to score at dg and Michael's but I did get a few things from HD. My first round I got a Belkin swivel charger. 7 22868 77866 1 ForumRunner_20131017_204941.jpg BOD:1/7/13 original price: 29.97 My second round- eco smart par30 LED flood bulb. 8 74340 00047 7 ForumRunner_20131017_205253.jpg ForumRunner_20131017_205329.jpg ForumRunner_20131017_205351.jpg BOD:1/7/13 original price: 39.97

Last edited by Queen0507; 10-18-2013 at 02:41 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Queen0507 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 09:28 PM

Shayloveme4ever has posted more than 150 good deals!Shayloveme4ever has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen0507 View Post
So I have yet to score at dg and Michael's but I did get a few thongs from HD. My first round I got a Belkin swivel charger. 7 22868 77866 1
BOD:1/7/13 original price: 39.97
My second round- eco smart par30 LED flood bulb. 8 74340 00047 7
BOD:1/7/13 original price: 39.97
Does anyone give u problems?
Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 PM

lolabean has posted more than 150 good deals!lolabean has posted more than 150 good deals!
A thought and a question... You can always check out in another language if you can't mute it. Why is it that if you scan something with their app on a smart phone it always comes up full price.. Even if you've selected a specific store. I've tried it in things that are very clearly on sale or clearance and it still rings up full price.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lolabean For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 AM

My Mood/Status:
no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!no1tvfan63 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisSourthernMomma View Post
I def need to try this out. Home Depot gets so much of our money right now since we are remodeling our home, I deserve to only pay $.01 for some stuff. Plus it will give me something to do while the SO is doing his shopping. I might just go in there and see what I can find for the heck of it. If I find anything, or have any issues, I'll let you guys know.

Where is everyone located at that has been trying? I will be trying my hand at the HD in Weatherford, TX. I might eventually try the HD in Burleson as well.
We are in the same boat, remodeling and spending tons at HD. tip: if you have a local store that sells HD gift cards for gas points (giant eagle here in PA) we purchase these gift cards for home depot at their store using a credit card that gives us % back on purchases, so we earn cash back buying the gift cards using a credit card. then we earn between 10 to 20Cents off a gallong of gas at giant eagle. we were purchasing a composit deck/railing/lights etc + for over $3K so we ended up with $600 in free gas! *two months of free gas for the family! and $60 cash back from the credit card we used. AND we got a military discount 10% off the order. (a total savings of $960!!)
Im excited to take a look at our HD for these great deals! I've never seen a tag for 1cent! wow. but they do have a clearance section going on now, so i hope to hit the store this weekend! thanks for this thread!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no1tvfan63 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayloveme4ever
Does anyone give u problems?
No the first time I went it was 10 min before they closed so I had to go to a cashier and I ask her to price check 4 items for me the swiffer dry pads were regular price and the other thing was the same as the tag said but when she rang up the belkin charger she never answered. So I said its a penny right well ill take that and the other clearance item just not the swiffer. She said you're not suppose to be able to buy this but this time I'll let you. Just don't try to return it. And that's all. When I went back 2 days later that had already cleared them. But not any really problems. Just crazy looks because I walk through the store really slowly looking up and each aisle.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Queen0507 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2013, 04:22 PM

My Mood/Status:
josie05 has posted more than 1 good deal
Gone

I went looking for these penny deals on Sat. did not find any.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:37 PM

michy25
Thank You

New to this page but definitely going to try this Tomorrow at hd
Old 11-15-2013, 10:31 PM

disobey has posted more than 1 good deal
Is there any new penny items at HD?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:17 PM

My Mood/Status:
lisa69 has posted more than 150 good deals!lisa69 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I went and looked today but found nothing. I even price checked an item with a 2010 date - full price.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:32 PM

lipbalm4me has posted more than 10 good deals
Would love to find some Home Depot penny deals... but haven't had any luck yet, please post as new deals become available!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:53 AM

Mississippi Momma :)

My Mood/Status:
Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!
I actually did this job at Home Depot for over a year. Pricing all clearance. If the people are doing their job correctly you won't find any penny items. How the system works: this crew only works Monday thru Friday from 4 am to 1 pm, on Monday (few added each day) you get a list in the computer of all items going on sale or clearance for the week, by Friday all items need to be repriced, if the clearances item ends in a .x3 it's as cheap as its going to get to be left on the sales floor. If the associate is marking something down to .01 it's to be pulled off the shelf at the moment you change it in the computer. Reason why u may find a penny deal that didn't get pulled is because it was a return after the fact that got placed on the shelf by mistake, or just merchandise that wasn't in the correct spot when the penny item was pulled. If its an item you really want and ends in .x3 I recommend buying it then, because there really is a slim chance you will find it when it hits a penny, but it does happen. As an employee we had to mark it down then let it sit on sales floor for 24 hours before we were allowed to purchase the clearance item. I did get a ton of deals when I was doing this job, my husband misses it more than me I think ......HTH
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shannaranee:) For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2013, 05:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
lisa69 has posted more than 150 good deals!lisa69 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I have been looking for a job,
Old 11-19-2013, 06:06 AM

My Mood/Status:
Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa69
I have been looking for a job,
I really liked this job, but the economy thing caused it to go part time for awhile so they were gonna change me from full time to part time and both myself and the guy I did this with had to find other jobs idk if its still part time or they changed it back to full time positions.....I enjoyed working at the Home Depot and actually recommended the job to my mom, she got it and did it for awhile but learned at her age it was difficult to climb up in all the displays and change the tags so she only did it for a few months.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:19 AM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Shanna your Talking about the MET team right? My cousin does this and oddly enough you say about part time...... She got lucky was part time they cut hours for about 3 weeks so many people left they gave her full time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
to Miguel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOILEDTCANGEL
Shanna your Talking about the MET team right? My cousin does this and oddly enough you say about part time...... She got lucky was part time they cut hours for about 3 weeks so many people left they gave her full time
No MET does the resets and puts up the displays for Xmas etc..,,,the actual people that do the sale and clearance tags are different. You will know MET ppl in stores cuz they wear orange shirts not the aprons, like we did. MET is the job to have though! They work m-f 6am-3pm and in retail set hours are awesome!
Old 11-19-2013, 10:53 AM

Lptxmom1 has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannaranee:)
I actually did this job at Home Depot for over a year. Pricing all clearance. If the people are doing their job correctly you won't find any penny items. How the system works: this crew only works Monday thru Friday from 4 am to 1 pm, on Monday (few added each day) you get a list in the computer of all items going on sale or clearance for the week, by Friday all items need to be repriced, if the clearances item ends in a .x3 it's as cheap as its going to get to be left on the sales floor. If the associate is marking something down to .01 it's to be pulled off the shelf at the moment you change it in the computer. Reason why u may find a penny deal that didn't get pulled is because it was a return after the fact that got placed on the shelf by mistake, or just merchandise that wasn't in the correct spot when the penny item was pulled. If its an item you really want and ends in .x3 I recommend buying it then, because there really is a slim chance you will find it when it hits a penny, but it does happen. As an employee we had to mark it down then let it sit on sales floor for 24 hours before we were allowed to purchase the clearance item. I did get a ton of deals when I was doing this job, my husband misses it more than me I think ......HTH
Thanks for sharing this!! ?. How long does it usually stay at .03 before the next mark down? I'm glad to know when the best price is, thx again.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:14 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lptxmom1
Thanks for sharing this!! ?. How long does it usually stay at .03 before the next mark down? I'm glad to know when the best price is, thx again.
Honestly we never kept track of how long inbetween each mark down....sorry
The Following User Says Thank You to Shannaranee:) For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2013, 08:11 AM

Lptxmom1 has posted more than 25 good deals
I've only tried this one time but I found this two weeks ago for .01
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (72.1 KB, 290 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lptxmom1 For This Useful Post: