Remodeling Bathroom, Tips On Saving?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 10:44 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Paying off debt & Saving for Disney 2013!

Sandjie has posted more than 200 great deals!Sandjie has posted more than 200 great deals!Sandjie has posted more than 200 great deals!
Remodeling Bathroom, tips on saving?

We've got to redo our bathroom...its disastrous So I'd like to paint it (don't know if hubby will) but we def need a new vanity and possibly like a tub insert (ya know those things that go over your current tub). Anybody know of any money saving ideas? I know Lowes sometimes has those 10% off coupons they mail out. I havent seen one in awhile but are there any other ways?
Does Lowes price match?
Is Home Depot Better?
Any types are greatly appreciated!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-19-2011, 02:40 PM

RE: Remodeling Bathroom, tips on saving?

My Mood/Status:
qpnbb has posted more than 300 great deals!qpnbb has posted more than 300 great deals!qpnbb has posted more than 300 great deals!qpnbb has posted more than 300 great deals!
lowes and home depot both do price matching. and whats better, if you price match, they will give you an additional 10% off.

i dont know if today is the last day of safeway (or was it yesterday?) you can buy $50 worth of gift card and get back $10 coupon for your next grocery.

if you want cheap paint, you can ask home depot if they have paint that was returned by a customer (maybe because it was the wrong color, too dark, too light) you can buy that cheaper.

also check the free section on craigslist. you;ll be amazed at what other people give away for free
Old 06-19-2011, 02:51 PM

2sleepy has posted more than 25 good deals
1) I don't like tub inserts, I don't think it's that much harder to remove/replace a tub, or even have yours refinished.
2) Check and see if you have a Habitat for Humanity store thrift store near you, contractors frequently donate extra fixtures, tile, etc. and they are re-sold to the public for pennies on the dollar Environmental Initiative: Habitat ReStores -- Habitat for Humanity Int'l
3) Consider re-painting or staining your existing vanity, or if it's a small bathroom re-purpose a small night stand or antique cabinet (we got a chinese cabinet for our 2nd bathroom for under $100 and put a stone vessel sink on it that we found on ebay.
4) learn to tile, it will save you hundreds/thousands on remodel jobs. It's easy and cheap (assuming you don't spend a fortune on tile) and looks terrific when done - much classier look than re-doing a floor with vinyl, or shower walls with those ugly fiberglass wall panels.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:53 PM

2sleepy has posted more than 25 good deals
As far as 10% off lowe's or home depot coupons, I have gotten 10% off from both just by asking when I made purchases over a few hundred dollars- I don't ask the cashier, I go to customer service or the contractor desk, tell them what I'm buying and ask if I can get a 10% discount.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2sleepy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 04:44 PM

tompatten has posted more than 100 good deals!tompatten has posted more than 100 good deals!
Check your local Habitat ReStore. Companies are donating extra supplies all the time there. I've seen great deals on windows, tiles, insulation, etc. But just like everywhere else, quality items don't last long. They usually have a lot of paint, but unless the paint comes in fresh, I wouldn't trust it. Or at least ask them to open it before you leave the store.

The other place I go that makes projects a heck of a lot cheaper is auctions. Used tools usually go for 10% or less of what you find at Lowes or Home Depot. I've seen $1000 tile go for $50. But you have to keep your eye open for the right auction too and attending auctions takes a lot of time if you're looking only for something very specific.
Old 06-21-2011, 06:44 PM

Ram85 has posted more than 25 good deals
Here is a tip I used when I remodeled my basement and spent maybe $7k on materials. The post office has change of address form packets that they give out to new residents in the area. Go to a post office that is not your normal one and ask for one (or two) of these packets. They always had either a Lowes or Home Depot 10% off coupon in them depending on which of the two is closest to that neighborhood usually. I ended up getting about 8 coupons this way and saved me about $700. They also run mail in rebates on some stuff when you buy in bulk so lookout for those.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ram85 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2011, 06:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
karmi12 has posted more than 10 good deals
veterans also get 10 discount at lowes, you can realy save on the vanity by looking around and converted litle stands or dressers loook great. sometimes they have floor model or slighty damged one clearnaced out also.they also have tile clinics that can show you how its done. we did it for the first time on a bathroom, great learning experience
Old 07-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Tylers Mama

Shanna like banana has posted more than 150 good deals!Shanna like banana has posted more than 150 good deals!
have you thought about looking somewhere like Ikea also ?

They have some great options, and seem to have quite a few for small spaces, irregular shaped spaces, they are pertty affordable too
Old 10-14-2011, 01:35 PM

hiyatran has posted more than 1 good deal
rona has a 15% discount every Tuesday. So if you have a grandparent or father then get them to buy it for you and just pay them back. They also do price match like Lowes and home depot
Old 10-14-2011, 02:33 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
My brother repainted his entire house - inside and out using Oops paint from Home Depot. He got to know some of the people in the paint dept and they would call him when they got a large amount of some. He was getting some of the top of the line paint for pennies on the dollar.

As for the tub liners depending on how much you have to spend they are a great option. They are also a great option if you are trying to sell your house and need to pretty it up inexpensively.
The Following User Says Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Looking for lego sales!
Always looking for Rebate forms!!!

My Mood/Status:
justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!justmelome has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We redid our bathroom last year I painted the vanity cabinet bought a new counter top and replaced the bath tub and the surround for under 1,000.00 I got everything at Lowes (I also put in new fixtures and toilet). I replaced the vanity and toilet in the other bathroom for under 250.00 .

Proud Mommy to DD (14)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DS (9)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and It's A GIRL!!!! 5/12/10 my 6 lb. preemie!
and He's HERE 9/27/11
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justmelome For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2017, 06:00 AM

RandyClary
I think going for a professional can be a good option. They are well versed with the ways and methods to repair and remodel. To find best service start your search by asking recommendations from friends, family and neighbours, who might have faced the same problem. Going online is also a great way. Get more tips at "allweekplumbing.com"
Old 06-08-2017, 10:14 PM

SheerPink has posted more than 5 good deals
I totally agree! You must go online for some valuable tips and suggestions in terms of style and remodeling tips.