Fresh Or Free!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2013, 04:10 PM

RE: Fresh or Free!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

dramaactress has posted more than 200 great deals!dramaactress has posted more than 200 great deals!dramaactress has posted more than 200 great deals!
Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyraqs View Post
I love this "calendar thing".
The way this "calendar thing" works ... is you take a little pocket/purse calendar (the types the banks, credit unions, or insurance companies give you free) or you can get them at dollar tree or even make your own ... and when you come in from HEB ... don't go and put your groceries away !!!! Instead:

1. Go to this website and post the items that you got free (with brand names, description, and ounces) - since you are sitting there looking at your groceries it's easy to type in the info

2. Then you open your calendar and look at each product and find the date of when your replacement product will expire and you write that on your calendar ... so when you open up your calendar you have a list of items that will expire that day (which you can share with us ... or you can write our items in your calendar).

3. Then you can put away your groceries and fridge/freezer items.

I targeted search almost always yields better results that must searching and hoping.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dramaactress For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-20-2013, 04:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
Rockyraqs has posted more than 5 good deals
Can you also write down the ones that you already have written in your calendar?because every time I am at HEB I spend at least an hour digging for out of date items.
Old 07-20-2013, 04:28 PM

dramaactress has posted more than 200 great deals!dramaactress has posted more than 200 great deals!dramaactress has posted more than 200 great deals!
Religion

Quote:
I recomment to always check these brand as these are expensive and I mostly found expired packages in the shelves near the check out counter
Rocky's recommendation of targeting the expensive brands is great advice !!!! I totally agree !!!! For example:

1. I never find cheap old French's yellow mustard expired (because it costs $1 or less and there are coupons for it) - but I'm often able to find the gourmet mustards such as grey poupoun or any of the brown mustards or Dijon mustards ... basicly if it is $3 or more then you should check the date (who would pay more for the mustard than the meat ????)

2. I never the plain old white bread expired ... but I find the find round top with the exotic crust all of the time or the sandwich thin or sandwich rounds ... so instead of buying the cheap $1 (or .88 cent) bread, why not take home the $2.55 cent free (even if you don't like the crust and throw it away or give it to the birds).

3. I never find the cheap eggs in the color sytrofoam expired - but if you look at the organic, cage free in the ugly drab paper/cardboard cartons - then you often find some expired - and who needs the prettier color of packaging ... after all it's only packaging ...

So, I think that rockyrags gives genius advice and when you go to look for any product ... look for the expired items in the most expensive brands first, since you are most likely to find those overpriced products expired (since sooooo many people are on a budget these days).
The Following User Says Thank You to dramaactress For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2013, 04:35 PM

Idea

Quote:
Can you also write down the ones that you already have written in your calendar?because every time I am at HEB I spend at least an hour digging for out of date items.
Dear Rocky,

This website doesn't have the room for me to download my whole calendar of items .... sorry (and I don't want to get in trouble) ... but earlier today, I listed items expiring today, tomorrow, and Monday ... hopefully others will join on the bandwagon and reciprocate - so that I too, will have some items that I didn't know about to look for in the coming days ... This idea would be such a great thread ... so that we could not only tell of what we found, but plan what we are going to look for (and other shoppers and employees don't know the difference in a shopping list and a list of expired items to search for because they all look alike and everybody has a list with them in HEB).

If listing the future expired items catches on, them I will keep posting them - but it only works if others also contribute ... so we shall see ...
Old 07-20-2013, 04:46 PM

My Mood/Status:
Begin a new thread and I will contribute. I actually list 2 items that are about to expire next week. On the 23rd, Sara lee cakes in a box of 10 will expire. I will really list down everything that's about to expire so that next time I will just check on those particular items Nd not spend too much time looking around the store.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockyraqs For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2013, 05:03 PM

Idea

Quote:
Begin a new thread and I will contribute. I actually list 2 items that are about to expire next week. On the 23rd, Sara lee cakes in a box of 10 will expire. I will really list down everything that's about to expire so that next time I will just check on those particular items Nd not spend too much time looking around the store.
I don't know how to begin a new thread - you might have to be an administrator to do that ... I'm also not sure how to find a new thread (I just click and reply to the emails that come to my inbox) sorry, but I'm not very computer savy ! Here is a recap of the items that I know to be expiring in the next few days:

7/20 - Kraft MW Onion Blossom Dipping Sauce, Thomas Bagel, Central Market Organic White Rice (Blue bag), Little Debbie Brownies, Rev Wraps (which some flavor expires every day or two)

7/21 - HEB Corn Flakes - the large box

7/22 - All HEB sodas - the 6 pack cans, the 12 pack (fridgepacks)of cans, the 2 LTRS, HEB Natural Bacon (has the greenish label), Little Debbie "Big Pack" of Fudge Rounds (which is in a little display in my store than the Little Debbie regular size that I on an endcap).

Remember you can't get an item on the day that it expires (unless it is meat or bakery and has a specific exact time) you have to wait until the next day to get it free.

I hope that this list helps!
Old 07-20-2013, 05:45 PM

My Mood/Status:
BrandiMT has posted more than 150 good deals!BrandiMT has posted more than 150 good deals!
Today's expired items:

Cascade Fresh Fat Free Yogurt 2 lb.
Stonyfield Greek Chocolate Yogurt 4 pk.
Smithfield Hardwood Smoked Ham
Applegate Naturals Uncured Canadian Style Bacon
HEB Classic Creations Frozen Pumpkin Pie
Oscar Mayer Steakhouse Cheddar Sub Sandwich
Lunchables Uploaded Nachos Grande
Rev Hot Peppered Ham Wrap
Back to Nature Sunflower Basil Crackers
Nature's Own 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Rounds
Nature's Own 100% Whole Grain Sandwich Rounds
Pepperidge Farm Blueberry Swirl Bread
Tastykake Chocolate Cupcakes
Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls 12 pk.
Hershey's Simple Pleasures Milk Chocolate
Hershey's Simple Pleasures Dark Chocolate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrandiMT For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 06:16 AM

Pattycake

My Mood/Status:
Pattycake has posted more than 100 good deals!Pattycake has posted more than 100 good deals!
Can't seem to find the Hams!
Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 AM

Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pattycake View Post
Can't seem to find the Hams!
Are you saying that your local HEB doesn't carry Smithfield Hams or that your store does carry them, but the expired ones were no longer out for sale?
Old 07-21-2013, 08:33 AM

AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have not done fresh or free in over a year, but had a blast doing it a year or so ago! Time to jump back on the bandwagon found that when I was doing it we were able to eat "fancier" products

is full for now, but PM me if you'd like to hop on in March!

Old 07-21-2013, 08:49 AM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliHoov View Post
I have not done fresh or free in over a year, but had a blast doing it a year or so ago! Time to jump back on the bandwagon found that when I was doing it we were able to eat "fancier" products
Alli,

Since you've done the "fresh or free" before - let me ask you ...

I do well with the "out of date guarantee" - since it is all about the expiration date ... but I have a very hard time with the "fresh or free" policy (which seems to be different with each store and even with each manager on duty) ... in your experience what items quality as "unfresh" ... is it a mere bruise on fruit, is it mold on berries, it is an open package, or a spilling out package, is it s dented can ... please tell me and the other readers, since most of us have been using the "out of date guarantee" instead since it is more clear (and easier to get free items) than the actual "fresh or free policy"(which is what this thread is really supposed to be about).
Old 07-21-2013, 02:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
sunflory has posted more than 300 great deals!sunflory has posted more than 300 great deals!sunflory has posted more than 300 great deals!sunflory has posted more than 300 great deals!
Do any Krogers or Meijer's have this same procedure ?
Please email response
THANK YOU

C
Old 07-21-2013, 04:39 PM

taking a break

My Mood/Status:
vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!vnme99 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflory
Please email response
THANK YOU

C
As far as I know they do not but there aren't any Krogers or Meijer's anywhere near me.
and Thad (18)
, 6
and 1

Old 07-21-2013, 07:16 PM

togiwawa has posted more than 75 good deals!
I'm pretty sure the Fresh Or Free policy, Out of Date Guarantee is unique to HEB.

I wish it wasn't though!

I don't know how many times I would have seriously raked in at Kroger's.

I find myself looking at dates on surrounding merchandise when I'm shopping somewhere besides HEB.
The Following User Says Thank You to togiwawa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflory View Post
Please email response
THANK YOU

C
It's silly to ask the HEB forum about stores other than HEB ... because it doesn't matter what we say (although we do hope that program is other places too!) ... it only matters what those stores say ... so call your store (or ask in person) to find out ... who knows what they will say ... while you are at it you could ask Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, Family Dollar, Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Target or any other stores in your area ... what's the worst that they cold say ???

P.S. There used to be a chain of groceries stores called "Save-a- Center" in the New Orleans area and it stretched into Mississippi and they had a "Fresh or Free" program (but it had a $6 limit - so you could only get a few things at most each day) - sadly that chain was bought out by Rouses (that was the supermarket chain in the news last week for the woman struck by lightning while standing in the check out line). There also used to be a drugstore chain called Eckerd (which sadly was bought out by CVS) and their policy was that if you found any expired items you got $5 (some stores gave in cash and others in gift card - limit 1 per day ... which really helped me when I was in college ).
Old 07-21-2013, 07:33 PM

Religion

Here's what I found expired today:

HEB 6 packs of .5 liter bottles of Lemon Lime (date is on the neck of the bottle)
Central Market Organics White Rice (the date is in super small black print on bottom)
Little Debbie 3 oz sleeve of chocolate covered donut
Quaker popped (used to be called Quakes) - apple cinnamon
Quaker popped chips - white cheddar and herb (comes in a box)
HEB Ridges 4 oz - sour cream and onion
Owens chub of sausage - Italian flavor
HEB salted (round container with yellow print) whipped butter 8oz
Queso Asadero (Mexican Provolone cheese) 12 oz - Round
HEB 8 oz Mexican Blend shredded cheese
HEB 8 oz Italian Blend shredded cheese
Old 07-21-2013, 07:34 PM

AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AlliHoov has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Fresh or free/ out of date guarantee same thing

Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM

Religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlliHoov View Post
Fresh or free/ out of date guarantee same thing
Alli,

You've got to be VERY careful about giving incorrect info - when soooo many people read it. I know (and everybody else does too !!!) that the "Fresh or Free" is absolutely NOT the same as the "out of date guarantee". Maybe your post was meant to be funny or flippant - but this thread is super serious!

I know that the "out of date guarantee" is for products in which the expiration date has passed ... but the question is about what other people have experienced with the "Fresh or Free" promise ... which is supposed to be for items without an expirations date ... I have gotten moldy berries free and bruised fruit free ...but I have ever asked about leaky detergents (or other cleaning products) , broken open packages of straws (or other home goods), or broken or leaky candles and scented air fresheners ... so I was trying to determined who has used the "fresh or free" promise and find out what they were able to get and if anybody has found out anything from corporate or online about the exact wording or guidelines of "freshness" (since HEB is so incredibly specific about the guidelines of the "out of date guarantee).
Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 AM

I've never tried with produce, but when I find a product with an expired date, I've always used fresh or free (hence its not fresh because its expired ) terminology at the register and it works just fine The title of this thread is fresh or free I don't think an open package of straws or leaky detergent would work with this program ! But let us know if it works I hope to hit heb today

Last edited by AlliHoov; 07-22-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
smdicke has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smdicke has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smdicke has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smdicke has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smdicke has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smdicke has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!smdicke has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I've previously gotten produce without an expiration date (moldy berries, packaged small cucumbers) free with the fresh or free policy, but was told by my store manager the last time I tried to use the policy to get free strawberries that I couldn't. The manager said that the freshness guarantee and out of date guarantee were now the same policy and only applied to items which bear an expiration date. I don't know whether I was given misinformation, but I have only been able to get items bearing an expired date for free since then.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
anibarger has posted more than 1 good deal
Krogers and Albertsons all use to have this policy back in 1997. But people would tear up the stores and leave huge messes so they got rid of it. Today is the first time I have seen anything on this in years.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:44 PM

My Mood/Status:
anibarger has posted more than 1 good deal
Also --dated items --- medications, condoms, formula, sun screen
The Following User Says Thank You to anibarger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2013, 09:09 PM

Pattycake

My Mood/Status:
Pattycake has posted more than 100 good deals!Pattycake has posted more than 100 good deals!
Found a lot of salad dressings yesterday (Sunday). Usually if a item like salad dressing or dips have a pretty close date more than likely you can reach in the very back and find an outdated one.

Found A & W diet rootbeer expired. and if I remember Diet Dr. Pepper expires July 29th.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:52 AM

A couple of weeks ago my car stopped working, so I've been having to walk to my local HEB - it's a good thing that I live close enough walk (although the days where I got the free Smithfield Hams as a painful, backbreaking and hand hurting challenge) but after being upset that roadside assistance wouldn't come and jumpstart my car (because it was a hybrid) despite paying my fees every month - I finally gave up and got my car towed to a big city (Waco) to have it fixed at the dealership - so after it was done, I went to look for expired items at several of the Waco HEB's and here is what I found ... (I will list by location in case there are Waco readers) and since I'm just copying from the receipts I don't have all of the ounces ...

Bellmede: I35 access road
- Kraft Jet Puffed Mini Marshmallow
- Kraft Jet Puffed Funmallow (the colored ones)
- HCF Diet Strawberry Soda 6 Pk cans
- McCormick Minced Garlic (in a glass jar)
- Hunts Fire Roasted Diced
- Shake N Pour Brownie
- Shake N Pour Confetti Cake
- Maxwell House Filter Pack Decaf
- Mountain Dew 12 pk cans
- Heb CAfeccino Coffee

Baylor (which I think is 15th street ... but it might be 14th)
-Hunts Roasted Garlic Diced
- Allens Diced Rutabagas
- La Choy Fancy Mix Chinese Vegetables
- Gatorade Power Sticks Canister - Grape
- Gatorade Power Sticks Canister - Fruit punch
- Gatorade Power Sticks Canister - Lemon Lime
- Stovetop Stuffing , Pork
- Goya Olive Oil
- Pineapple Rings (in a clear package in the produce department
- Dried Blueberry ( in a clear package in a free standing shelf in produce)
- Secret Clinical Deorderant
- McCormick Minced Garlic
- HEB Infant Gas Drops
- Advil Pain Reliever
- HEB Aspirin
- Cetaphil uva uvb defense
- HEB Aspirin low dose
- Minute Maid fruit falls berry water (drink pouch)
- Minute Maid Just 10 (drink pouch)
- HCf Chunks and Kibble (Dog Food) sack
- Sugar Twin Sugar Substitie
- Splenda Coffee Flavor - Hazelnut
- 12 pk HEB diet cola with lime
- HEB 6 pk diet pineapple cans
- HEB 6 pk diet grape cans
- HEB 6 pk diet cola cans

South Valley Mills
- HEB Superwater Zero - Acacai Blueberry flavor
- HCF st. hot Tomato SAuce
- Neutragena Ultra Gentle Soothing
- HCF Radiant Moisturizing Lotion
- HEB Lime and Chili Chicken Stock
- HEB Heart Health Rotini
- INternational Coffee - Francais Café
- Fuze Green Tea - 12 pk of Bottles
- Del Monte Tomato Sauce
- HEB Tradidional Pizza Sauce
- HEB Cafeccino Moacho
- HEB French Fried Onions
- Pedigree Healthy Weight (Dog Food)

MCC/North Waco (N. 19th Street
- Maxwell House Filter Pack
-HCF Bites and Bones Dry Dog Food
- HEB Cafeccino Mocha
- Chef Royardee Beeferoni Wholegrain
- HEB Canned Turkey
- Tasty classics Bombay Potato Soup
- HCF Solid White Alobacore Canned Tuna
- Aveno clear complex daily moisturizer
- Tasty Calssics East Indiana soup
- International Coffee Fanncais Café
- Aveno Radiant S. D. Moistureizer
- Bear Creek Chicken Vegetable Pasta
- Kraft Roka Blue Cheese
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dramaactress For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaactress View Post
A couple of weeks ago my car stopped working, so I've been having to walk to my local HEB - it's a good thing that I live close enough walk (although the days where I got the free Smithfield Hams as a painful, backbreaking and hand hurting challenge) but after being upset that roadside assistance wouldn't come and jumpstart my car (because it was a hybrid) despite paying my fees every month - I finally gave up and got my car towed to a big city (Waco) to have it fixed at the dealership - so after it was done, I went to look for expired items at several of the Waco HEB's and here is what I found ... (I will list by location in case there are Waco readers) and since I'm just copying from the receipts I don't have all of the ounces ...

Bellmede: I35 access road
- Kraft Jet Puffed Mini Marshmallow
- Kraft Jet Puffed Funmallow (the colored ones)
- HCF Diet Strawberry Soda 6 Pk cans
- McCormick Minced Garlic (in a glass jar)
- Hunts Fire Roasted Diced
- Shake N Pour Brownie
- Shake N Pour Confetti Cake
- Maxwell House Filter Pack Decaf
- Mountain Dew 12 pk cans
- Heb CAfeccino Coffee

Baylor (which I think is 15th street ... but it might be 14th)
-Hunts Roasted Garlic Diced
- Allens Diced Rutabagas
- La Choy Fancy Mix Chinese Vegetables
- Gatorade Power Sticks Canister - Grape
- Gatorade Power Sticks Canister - Fruit punch
- Gatorade Power Sticks Canister - Lemon Lime
- Stovetop Stuffing , Pork
- Goya Olive Oil
- Pineapple Rings (in a clear package in the produce department
- Dried Blueberry ( in a clear package in a free standing shelf in produce)
- Secret Clinical Deorderant
- McCormick Minced Garlic
- HEB Infant Gas Drops
- Advil Pain Reliever
- HEB Aspirin
- Cetaphil uva uvb defense
- HEB Aspirin low dose
- Minute Maid fruit falls berry water (drink pouch)
- Minute Maid Just 10 (drink pouch)
- HCf Chunks and Kibble (Dog Food) sack
- Sugar Twin Sugar Substitie
- Splenda Coffee Flavor - Hazelnut
- 12 pk HEB diet cola with lime
- HEB 6 pk diet pineapple cans
- HEB 6 pk diet grape cans
- HEB 6 pk diet cola cans

South Valley Mills
- HEB Superwater Zero - Acacai Blueberry flavor
- HCF st. hot Tomato SAuce
- HCF Radiant Moisturizing Lotion
- HEB Lime and Chili Chicken Stock
- HEB Heart Health Rotini
- INternational Coffee - Francais Café
- Fuze Green Tea - 12 pk of Bottles
- Del Monte Tomato Sauce
- HEB Tradidional Pizza Sauce
- HEB Cafeccino Moacho
- HEB French Fried Onions
- Pedigree Healthy Weight (Dog Food)

MCC/North Waco (N. 19th Street
- Maxwell House Filter Pack
-HCF Bites and Bones Dry Dog Food
- HEB Cafeccino Mocha
- Chef Royardee Beeferoni Wholegrain
- HEB Canned Turkey
- Tasty classics Bombay Potato Soup
- HCF Solid White Alobacore Canned Tuna
- Aveno clear complex daily moisturizer
- Tasty Calssics East Indiana soup
- International Coffee Fanncais Café
- Aveno Radiant S. D. Moistureizer
- Bear Creek Chicken Vegetable Pasta
- Kraft Roka Blue Cheese
Wow!you are really good! You got over 60 items! Did you do these all for a day?