Bagging Your Own Groceries :/

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 09:14 AM

RE: Bagging your own groceries :/

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamelo
I guess it must be a regional or state thing to have baggers every time and store you go shoppin gat.

I am in NJ and few stores here have baggers. If I get a bagger rarely its a treat to not have to bag and it happens rarely. If I did not bag I would have to stand and do nothing and have the cashier do it after she.he is done ringing, which would not happen on my time since I would want to get out quickly.

I don't mind bagging as I am so used to it. Stores here do not have regular baggers most of the time. The few they do have sometimes also do other jobs around the store. Interesting concept to me to have someone always bag my stuff. Not sure if I would like it or not.
I agree. Unless I'm at a store like Target or Kmart, etc I've always bagged my own stuff. I didnt realize it was so abnormal. Lol. But like I said when it comes to grocery shopping I'm so used to self checkout and bagging my own stuff its just not an issue.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueangel1484 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 AM

Shopping for Bargains!

My Mood/Status:
scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueangel1484 View Post
I agree. Unless I'm at a store like Target or Kmart, etc I've always bagged my own stuff. I didnt realize it was so abnormal. Lol. But like I said when it comes to grocery shopping I'm so used to self checkout and bagging my own stuff its just not an issue.
What is funny about what you said is I am more likely to have someone bag my stuff at the grocery store if I use SCO cause the SCO person usually has nothing else to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to scamelo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 11:38 AM

My Mood/Status:
Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Blueangel1484 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:

What is funny about what you said is I am more likely to have someone bag my stuff at the grocery store if I use SCO cause the SCO person usually has nothing else to do.
Lol its so different everywhere. The self checkout person is usually all over the place at mine. And when their not usually I'm either with someone or go to the self checkouts without a belt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueangel1484 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM

Climb the stairs of life and never look back.....

My Mood/Status:
marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I hate when this happens but alot of the time I feel bad for the cashier, so I do it myself and I know they will be packed right. Cans won't be on the glass, or juice on top of my eggs or bread. I usually (am I the only one?) I put the cans on the belt first, and then meats, poultry, then boxes, then produce. Glass is always scary, I treat them like eggs and bread. Milk is always in the front in the seat and never in a bag. I find it easier to keep them this way and to put away. Our stores around here, about 4 years ago had a great program where people w/ disabilities bagged our groceries I think they got these jobs through job training programs, and they did a awesome job! They took pride and packed things the way they are supposed to, and I miss that!! They were friendly and smiled and I had confidence in that my stuff was bagged right. I miss it, I wish they supermarkets would improve the customer service by these small things, they are important.

A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." Clive James
Wife to Tony
and mom of DS 7 yrs
and 2 yr old DS
"If the TRUTH makes you uncomfortable, you may want to ask yourself why this is so?"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marnimae For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 11:43 AM

new nana has posted more than 150 good deals!new nana has posted more than 150 good deals!
I have been reading this blog and not saying anything but I just want to answer a few of the reasons why a bagger is not available. One being that the store does not provide enough baggers for the number of cashier(not all stores but some)
The bagger could be wiping up a spill on aisle 4.
Could be helping a customer out to their car or possibly cleaning the bathroom.
Just so everyone knows the store really tries to get the best mileage from their baggers
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to new nana For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 04:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
sylverstarz17 has posted more than 200 great deals!sylverstarz17 has posted more than 200 great deals!sylverstarz17 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by new nana
I have been reading this blog and not saying anything but I just want to answer a few of the reasons why a bagger is not available. One being that the store does not provide enough baggers for the number of cashier(not all stores but some)
The bagger could be wiping up a spill on aisle 4.
Could be helping a customer out to their car or possibly cleaning the bathroom.
Just so everyone knows the store really tries to get the best mileage from their baggers
You forgot to mention that they also have to patrol the parking lost and bring in all those carts (which in my area often equates to 'let's see how many cars can I block in while I make such a huge train of carts that I can barely push it let alone steer" cracks me up everytime I see it!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sylverstarz17 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM

My Mood/Status:
sylverstarz17 has posted more than 200 great deals!sylverstarz17 has posted more than 200 great deals!sylverstarz17 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
I guess it must be a regional or state thing to have baggers every time and store you go shoppin gat.

I am in NJ and few stores here have baggers. If I get a bagger rarely its a treat to not have to bag and it happens rarely.
Couldn't help but think if maybe its because all your would be baggers are out pumping gas instead? :p

Last edited by sylverstarz17; 03-01-2012 at 06:18 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sylverstarz17 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 04:45 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sylverstarz17 View Post
Couldn't help but think if maybe its because all your would be baggers are out pumping has instead? :p
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
mandy5540 has posted more than 150 good deals!mandy5540 has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmystephy4
I always just go over my receipt when I get home and if something isn't right when I go back the next week I just have them adjust it.
Great point Ty! I actually reviewed my receipt after this rant and it was perfect. Lol.. I guess kroger mega sales just stress me out I go in with a plan, but it seems to get altered (especially if my 3 year old is with me). No bagger just adds another challenge to my trip.

Thank you all for the gained perspective. Very, very good points!
The Following User Says Thank You to mandy5540 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 AM

Deneise

My Mood/Status:
deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
For some reason (maybe because the retirees couldn't figure out how to use them?) all of the stores in my area have removed the Self Check out lines. I really miss those! When they weren't clogged up with Granny & Gramps trying to self check 2 buggies full of groceries, they were much quicker & easier.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:44 AM

My Mood/Status:
seporter818 has posted more than 400 great deals!seporter818 has posted more than 400 great deals!seporter818 has posted more than 400 great deals!seporter818 has posted more than 400 great deals!seporter818 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by celloraisen View Post
I have before and don't mind. In fact I used to prefer to bag myself since most baggers suck at it. Just last week I had to stop a bagger putting two gallons of milk in the same reusable shopping bag. Um, I'd like to be able to lift these bags comfortably! I miss paper bags to be honest. With paper you can put the heavy stuff on the bottom and some light stuff on top and it won't shift. The reusable bags are awesome but most of these kids don't know how to bag them.
Or putting stuff in them that clearly shouldn't be bagged together. I had someone at WM once put dryer sheets in with my bread and I didn't notice until I got home. The bread had to go in the trash b/c it tasted like Snuggle. Yum. One of my biggest peeves is putting raw meet or cleaners in with other stuff. I always compliment the cashiers when they bag correctly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to seporter818 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 AM

My Mood/Status:
artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!artmayer1 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I prefer to bag my own groceries. My very first job in high school was at a supermarket and they taught you how to bag. Most of the time if someone else bags my groceries cold stuff ends up with cereal boxes. Its a pet peeve....

Cold stuff goes with cold stuff... 2 Boxes are used as anchor's and cans/jars go in the middle. Two glass jars never touch each other... You never put raw meat (i.e. hamburger...chicken..etc) with anything else. Yep...I'm totally anal about how my groceries are bagged! When they do it either too few items went in the bag or too many. Its a science...
The Following User Says Thank You to artmayer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 09:02 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!schmidt00 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I usually always use the self checkout so I always bag em myself! I do hate though, at Meijer... the large quantity self checkout lane is so long you have to walk AWAY from your purse in the cart to go clear the line... makes me nervous...
Ross (4),
and
Kyleigh (our miracle VACTERL princess)(2).
Why is she a miracle? Read Kyleigh's story here:

The Following User Says Thank You to schmidt00 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 08:19 AM

My Mood/Status:
KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!KayceK has posted more than 400 great deals!
The only time I bagged groceries was 30 yrs ago. I shopped at warehouse groceries, where you marked price on the item and you bagged your own when checking out..( and you brought your ownbags) Now if I get a chance to shop Aldis, I take a cooler/ice in the car and a few boxes. all cold items go in the cooler, staples go together in a box and cleaning laundry etc go in another box. rarely do I buy the bags.

When shopping other stores, I put all like items together, and I expect them to be bagged that way, some times I do have to remind the cashier, but not often.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KayceK For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 AM

interzone has posted more than 150 good deals!interzone has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by celloraisen View Post
I have before and don't mind. In fact I used to prefer to bag myself since most baggers suck at it.
Yes! Plus, our Kroger frequently has handicapped people working as baggers. While I really do think it's great that they're learning a skill and being productive, I would also really like to get home and _not_ find at least one yogurt carton with a puncture in the lid from being bagged improperly. If I'm rebagging everything, it wasn't very useful to have someone else give it a try first.

I also hate getting a billion plastic bags in addition to the cloth bags I bring into the store. If I bag myself, odds are excellent that I will not need any "extras".
The Following User Says Thank You to interzone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 08:56 AM

loves her CVS!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
iamamommy has posted more than 400 great deals!iamamommy has posted more than 400 great deals!iamamommy has posted more than 400 great deals!iamamommy has posted more than 400 great deals!iamamommy has posted more than 400 great deals!
I've learned that if you start bagging or go any where near the bagging area, the employees think you want to do it on your own. So now I wait patiently for my whole transaction to be done...coupons and all and wait for someone to come and bag my stuff. After a few times, they caught on that I am "that woman". I will not bag my food, watch the screen, calm the kiddos at the same time. That is unless I'm expected to at places that do NOT have baggers.

One time, I actually politely asked, "is there someone who can help me bag my stuff" to the manager on duty as my babies were wailing. He was super apologetic and said I shouldn't even have to ask. He now remembers me and makes sure that there is always someone helping me at the bagging station.

I'm not being mean or whatever, but really, I want my eyes on the screen to catch mistakes...and there are always something wrong.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:02 AM

My Mood/Status:
kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I havent been to a kroger that didnt have a bagger there. I think thats poor customer service, they have people there to do that for you so i would go to another location (if possible) or call a bagger over before your next transaction.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 AM

My Mood/Status:
phoenix has posted more than 300 great deals!phoenix has posted more than 300 great deals!phoenix has posted more than 300 great deals!phoenix has posted more than 300 great deals!
We have one chain where we always have to bag our own groceries, another that bags if it is not busy, and a high end store that always bags, but you pay for it due to the extremely high shelf prices. I would LOVE to have someone bag my groceries every time I shopped at the grocery store.

Oh, and I live in the land of NOD (no doubles, excepting on Wednesdays--only 5 Qs will double with a grocery total of $25.00 or higher).
Old 03-11-2012, 10:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfruits87
I havent been to a kroger that didnt have a bagger there. I think thats poor customer service, they have people there to do that for you so i would go to another location (if possible) or call a bagger over before your next transaction.
I don't think it's poor customer service, I just think they are fazing baggers out. I imagine soon enough they'll all end up having the cashiers do it like at Walmart. Baggers that get hired at these grocery stores are never just strictly baggers. They are cart attendants, cashiers, stockers, etc. It's been a long time since I've seen a strictly bagger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blueangel1484 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 11:15 AM

My Mood/Status:
kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!kmfruits87 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueangel1484 View Post
I don't think it's poor customer service, I just think they are fazing baggers out. I imagine soon enough they'll all end up having the cashiers do it like at Walmart. Baggers that get hired at these grocery stores are never just strictly baggers. They are cart attendants, cashiers, stockers, etc. It's been a long time since I've seen a strictly bagger.
I know the people who bag have other jobs, i used to work retail and i wore too many hats myself. I just think that if youre going to a grocery you are paying for that service too IMO. unless it specifies you have to bag you own, i believe it should be a part of the service no matter who does it. I mean you pay enough for groceries as it is and they cant even bag them?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:48 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmfruits87

I know the people who bag have other jobs, i used to work retail and i wore too many hats myself. I just think that if youre going to a grocery you are paying for that service too IMO. unless it specifies you have to bag you own, i believe it should be a part of the service no matter who does it. I mean you pay enough for groceries as it is and they cant even bag them?
It'd be nice but that's why I mentioned the other jobs they have to do. Since baggers end up having to do other things that's more then likely why they aren't there to bag. I do understand though for those with little ones and such it would be easier, but I just figure eventually there won't even be baggers and instead cashiers will do it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Blueangel1484 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 04:05 PM

Deneise

My Mood/Status:
deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Whatever happened to the baggers taking your groceries out to your car? I can't remember the last time anyone did that for me.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 PM

Shopping for Bargains!

My Mood/Status:
scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!scamelo has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneisetorres View Post
Whatever happened to the baggers taking your groceries out to your car? I can't remember the last time anyone did that for me.
You are joking?! Do they do that in some places for real for regular people? My NE location must be showing . I do have a store that asks people occasionally, but I have only seen this with either a disabled person, or a mom with 6 kids and 3 carts .

The Following User Says Thank You to scamelo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2012, 04:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
Actually, I have the opposite experience most the time. At every Publix I know, if they see me start bagging my own things because no one is there, someone always rushes over, even if it ends up being the store manager (until another bagger is free to take over for him) AND they always offer to take my things out to my car for me. I love it because it gives my 22 mo DD a distraction and she just loves those guys!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sylverstarz17 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 06:24 PM

is living and loving life :)

My Mood/Status:
randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I don't mind bagging my own sometimes because I go fairly late (since it's a college town with many international students and/or people who are just plain rude, I go at 10pm or later so I can take my time in the aisles and not get run over/bumped into/etc)....however, I get very very upset when I have to bag my own groceries and the cashier is sitting there talking to another cashier while I bag. Um, excuse me, why are you chitchatting while I'M doing YOUR job? We also have that issue of several people at the end talking while I bag my own groceries. I said something to the manager, but considering most high school/college kids have no work ethic and don't understand customer service (my BIGGEST pet peeve!) there isn't a ton that can be done if the manager isn't there....
The Following User Says Thank You to randomequine For This Useful Post: